Start by marking “Friends for Life (Friends, #1)” as Want to Read:
Friends for Life (Friends, #1)

Friends for Life (Friends #1)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
When her best friend is found dead, supposedly from a drug overdose, seventeen-year-old Susan suspects murder and determines to find out the truth.
Published August 1st 1990 by Avon Books (first published February 1983)

Hallie
Jul 24, 2014 Hallie rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
This was not a win, but I consider it totally my own fault, as practically everybody said it wasn't half as good as the sequel. I don't even really *have* an inner completist to blame, so not too sure why I didn't go straight to that. I'm sure this would have read a lot better when first published, but now it's really very short on charm. (I will avoid trying to work in the "means no ... harm" bit, but I bet I don't need to as all are hearing Inigo and Fezzik in their heads anyway!) It's a bit a ...more
Jenny
Sep 27, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, nostalgia
I actually liked the sequel more. Probably b/c I read it first.

Sept. 27, 2010. Found a copy of this book along with its sequel at a library book sale. The cover is different than this one even though the ISBN matches. Weird.
Michelle
Sep 27, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2009
After having lived in New York for the past three years, Susan McAllister returns to Boston hoping to fit right in with old friends. She's happy to resume her relationship with Patrick and even more excited to be reunited with her best friend Colleen. Colleen however, has changed. She's lost too much weight, seems preoccupied, and is convinced a classmate was murdered when no one else suspects a thing. Susan isn't sure what to make of this accusation until Colleen herself is found dead, supposed ...more
Lauren
This book lacked the charm of its sequel Life Without Friends. LWF had something extra to it than your average whodounit. It was more than a YA mystery. This was better than the Sweet Valley High series but because I'd read LWF already I was expecting it to be as good.
The book had good points. The grief over her friend was palpable. Her dead friend was more realised than her boyfriend. The villain was scarier in LWF. Here he was your average villain you might see pushing drugs in a Nancy Drew pc
Julie
Doesn't hold a candle to White's Meg Powers books.
Zoë
It’s nice that Susan wants to try to find out who murdered her friend, but at the same time, it just felt so sudden. Like literally she was like, “I’m going to find out who murdered Colleen!” right after the funeral. No real grieving time? It just was a tad unrealistic. Also, I understand she has to go to certain lengths to find out information, but does she really have to compromise her self-respect? I mean she’s actually letting a guy touch her in uncomfortable ways. She outright says that she ...more
Kristina
While gathering some YA books, I found my very old copy of this novel (which might be out of print) and re-read it. The main character returns to her Boston suburb after being away for several years and discovers one of her friends is consumed by drugs. Later, she's murdered. It's highly entertaining in pulpy, Lifetime movie sort of way and holds up well thirty years later. :)
KrisTina
Apr 24, 2014 KrisTina rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I will always LOVE this book - but when I read it I have to admit that it is dated and not as good as I believed it to be when I first read it at 13 years old. But I still love it. And like the President's Daughter series - I'll always be a big fan of Ellen Emerson White for giving me Susan and Meg for friends.
Kricket
Nov 28, 2015 Kricket rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen-fiction, retro, 2015
yawn. i read this because susan mcallister was a character in "long may she reign." somehow this managed to be the most boring book about drugs and murder i have ever read.
Jules
Jun 12, 2009 Jules rated it liked it
Retro read! A super-speedy slice of a book that transported me back to my high school years for an hour or two -- though mine weren't nearly so scandalous as those depicted in this book (drugs! murder! intrigue!). Not quite as good as any of White's other books, but this was her first, and I still very much respect the fact that she wrote it while she was in college. The gal knows plot and motivation, I'll give her that.
Danielle
Oct 09, 2014 Danielle rated it it was ok
Friends for Life is Ellen Emerson White's first novel, and it does show. The stiff 80s dialogue is there, but more so, with too many repetitions. This novel's quick read about a girl trying to identify her friend's killer (death ruled as overdose or suicide).

19/60 tbr box.
May 30, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I actually read this after Life without Friends (it was actually years later that I even found a copy of this one). Though this book does not resonate with me like book 2 it was still good to see how it all started. In retrospect, I do wish that I had read them in order.
Kirsten
Nov 03, 2008 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Pretty good - a little bit light-weight. I can totally tell that this is written by the same authorial voice as The President's Daughter et al, so that probably helped endear me to it.
A.K. Williams
Nov 20, 2008 A.K. Williams rated it really liked it
Definitely enjoyed it. If Ellen Emerson White wanted to update this one like she has her President's Daughter series, I would be very much okay with that.
Tdraut18
Jul 20, 2014 Tdraut18 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, owned
I would have liked to see more about the aftermath, about how it was handled.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Stars.of.Tears
Stars.of.Tears marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
OtterlyinLove
OtterlyinLove rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Karin Bengtsson
Karin Bengtsson marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Sara
Sara added it
Jan 05, 2016
Lori Strode
Lori Strode marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Julz
Julz rated it did not like it
Dec 10, 2015
Johanna Miller
Johanna Miller marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Jada Genter
Jada Genter rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Ztyu
Ztyu marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
  • Welcome to Vietnam (Echo Company, #1)
  • Saturday, the Twelfth of October
  • Secrets of the Shopping Mall
  • The Divorce Express
  • The Girl in the Box
  • Fog (Losing Christina, #1)
  • Prom Dress
  • Phone Calls
  • Waiting Games
  • My First Love and Other Disasters (Victoria Martin, #2)
  • See You Later
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Dear Lovey Hart, I Am Desperate
  • Twins: Dead Ringers
  • Winter Dreams, Christmas Love
This talented writer attended Tufts University (and published her first book, "Friends for Life," while a senior there) and currently lives in New York City. Ms. White grew up in Narragansett, Rhode Island. Many of her fiction novels feature characters who reside in or around Boston and are fans of the Boston Red Sox (as is Ms. White). In addition to fiction novels, Ms. White has published several ...more
More about Ellen Emerson White...

Friends (2 books)
  • Life Without Friends (Friends, #2)