Start by marking “Crystal Lies” as Want to Read:
Crystal Lies

Crystal Lies

A Son’s Addiction. A Mother’s Heartbreak. A Family’s Crisis.

As the wife of a prominent city attorney and the mother of two teenage children on the brink of adulthood, Glennis Harmon lives the kind of successful, high-profile life that many people envy. But when nineteen-year-old Jacob is drawn into substance abuse, Glennis’ “perfect” world shatters like a crystal vase roc
Published October 19th 2004 by WaterBrook

To ask other readers questions about Crystal Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crystal Lies

Mar 07, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Another great book by Melody Carlson. This one felt more like Finding Alice, where it felt a bit like a real story told by someone involved in the situation although I'm sure this book is purely fiction. It was hard to put this one down as well. I still think her best book that I've read is Finding Alice.
Samantha

The book Crystal Lies is mostly about a family that has never seen bad days. It`s about a family that has no problems and lives the American dream. They had money and great kids with bright futures ahead of them. Well at least that’s what they thought. The mother (Glennis) did not have a job; she was a stay home mom. The husband (George) was a very popular husband; he made all the money. The daughter (Sarah) was already off to college, and having a good life. The son (Jacob) was in still in hig
Christy
Mar 08, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it
Melody Carlson writes good Christian fiction, mostly because she hits on hard topics. This one, as you'd probably guess from the title, is on drug abuse. Carlson always manages to tell a good story in a sensitive, but thoughtful manner. She always leaves me wanting a bit more, though...
Ellen Hummel
Mar 27, 2008 Ellen Hummel rated it liked it
It was an okay book about a young man's addiction to crystal meth and how it affects his family. I was frustrated with how idiotic the mom was and what a jerk the dad was.
Deb
Sep 04, 2007 Deb added it
glennis' life is falling apart. her son jacob has been drug into the world of a crystal meth addict, and she is doing everything she can to pull him out of it. unfortunately, her husband does not agree with her efforts to help and wants to sweep the whole thing under the rug. glennis is in so much pain that she just has to leave one day and moves into an apartment across town. jacob comes to crash at her place, but through the efforts of some friends and counseling glennis realizes that she cann ...more
Ky
Jan 21, 2009 Ky rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a powerful book. Ms. Carlson's ability to combine faith and hard-hitting topics is fantastic, and it is clear how she became such a well-known inspirational fiction author. She doesn't shy away from difficult issues or tie them up in a neat little bow.

In this novel, she writes about a family coming apart at the seams. Glennis, the main character, is hit full-force with her son's addiction, her husband's betrayal, and her daughter's self-absorbed, distant behavior - all at the same tim
Rachel
Jun 26, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The storyline was good and interesting and the characters seemed true in my oppinion but it was they way the story was told that made me not like it very much. The author gave the information straight forward to which kept me from fully feeling the events and emotions in the story. It also dwelt a long time on the woman's divorce in the beginning and, when we got to see her interacting with her son, I wish there had been more to it in the end. It did pull at my heart strings during the divorce s ...more
Ashli
May 25, 2013 Ashli rated it liked it
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this book. I know that I liked it but didn't love it. I think it's more like I don't know what to think. I've wanting to read it for the longest time, and I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or not. I think I may have liked it a little bit better if it was told in the point of view of the addict, Jacob. Either way, it was interesting to read from the mother's perspective.
[Note: I'm not sure what rating to give this book. I love the way it was writ
Kirsten
Apr 16, 2008 Kirsten rated it liked it
Melody Carlson is a Christian writer who writes good Christian books. However, at the library this book wasn't labeled as "Christian." This book was, however, written very well and offers an inside to a mothers' emotions in dealing with a son that is addicted to meth. It is an interesting read because it sheds light onto the "drug of choice" that you hear about so much these days (ie, why you can't buy more than two cold medicines at one store). This book definitely takes your emotions on a ride ...more
Monica Johnson
Oct 07, 2013 Monica Johnson rated it really liked it
I found this book so compelling on a very personal level. I have a brother who is an addict. We went through 5 tumultuous years of staggering heart break while he painfully undertook rehabilitation. I felt I was reading through my father's own emotional turmoil, in relationship to loving and attempting to help and support an addict. I know we lived by prayers and patience, repeated over, over, and over again. May the Lord bless all families who find themselves faced with similar unrestrained hea ...more
Emily Brooker
Mar 05, 2016 Emily Brooker rated it did not like it
Being the Mother of a now recovering Crystal Meth addict, I decided to read this uninformed claptrap. This book shows absolutely no insight to such addiction. I sooooo wish dealing with addiction were this easy. This is a book that says "Drugs r bad" (as per South Park) but offers nothing of the actual filth and violence, depression, depravity and degradation that Meth addiction forces on the addict and those close to them. If you want a real depiction of the devastation this drug leaves in its ...more
Debbie
Mar 11, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
This book really touches me as a mom. We can do all the "right" things but in the end, we have no control over our children's choices. It was easy to relate to because any woman could be Glennis. This story beautifully depicts a woman's conflicted journey through her son's addiction and how it negatively affects their family.
Barb
May 24, 2009 Barb rated it it was amazing
Carlson's books are always so excellent. The reader is drawn into the codependent existence of a young man's mother. She doesn't want to believe he's using drugs, and wants to believe that she can cure him. She's ready to give up everything else--and finds out that some things, she never really had in the first place. The story was heartbreaking and well-told. A+.
Erin
May 07, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
In light of recent issues, not drug related, w/our first born. This really made
me remember to often pray for each of my children. And realize that you can't
make them be on fire for God. It has to come from within but someone w/a
tendency to have an addictive personality, needs lots of prayer and Godly
examples in their lives before they get exposed to the bad stuff.
Stacey Myers
Feb 13, 2015 Stacey Myers rated it really liked it
I was unaware that this author writes 'inspirational' fiction when I added this to my library. Its a good book, but a little too much religion for me especially since you don't necessarily feel like she is Christian until she is at her lowest. That said I enjoyed the book and it was a fast read.
Hannah
Sep 05, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Crystal Lies is a great book. It shows how when someone has a drug problem, it affects everyone around them. It also shows how far a family can go until you have to let go of that person and move on with your own life.
Jeanne S
Nov 28, 2009 Jeanne S rated it it was amazing
I rated this book as 5 stars and it was definitely amazing! But probably not in the way you think... this book will haunt me the rest of my life but it opened my eyes to the world of a crystal meth addict. It is very disturbing, but I believe that as Christians these things should disturb us.
Mary
Nov 24, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
I typically do not read Christian fiction because it is predictable & everything works out in the end. I felt this book reflected the real struggle of the effects of a drug addict on the entire family.
Jenn
Feb 06, 2015 Jenn rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Realistic storyline. Empathized with the main character and couldn't help but feel sad for the many negative situations she endured. This book sucked me in and it stayed with me for days after finishing
Hayley
Apr 25, 2011 Hayley rated it really liked it
This is a really great book. I've struggled with addiction myself & it's so easy to get caught up in how addiction effects the addict. To often did I forget that I wasn't the only one affected by addiction. This book helped to remind me of the other victims.
Nita
Feb 23, 2008 Nita rated it it was amazing
I just finished this great book on a family dealing with Crystal Meth issues. It is a mothers look at what she has to decide to do or not, and whether her son is worth "throwing " away the whole family for. Excellent read for any family dealing with these issues.
Mary Ellen
Jun 25, 2012 Mary Ellen rated it it was amazing
Wow, never did someone put into words what it is like to be the mom of a drug addict. Heart breaking, the story could be any mom's worst nightmare. So close to the truth. A hard book to read, but so worth it. The mom learns to be ok, even if her son is not. A hard lesson for all moms.
Alex
Apr 28, 2009 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-books
Another excellent Melody Carlson book.
Marsha
Jul 10, 2015 Marsha rated it really liked it
Informative Christian fiction about drug addiction and codependency. Inside look at how addiction affects everyone in a family, not just the addict
Lori
Apr 30, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. It was a work of fiction but it could happen and in fact does every day. This book was the first one I read by Melody Carlson and it sold me completely on her as an author.
Cws
Aug 19, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Car
Bree
Oct 12, 2008 Bree rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. It was well written and easy to follow without being boring. I felt the pain of the mother.
Kim Shakir
Mar 19, 2013 Kim Shakir rated it really liked it
Was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. Had a good story line, well defined characters and was moving and inspirational.
Jan 17, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book!!!!
Jordan Rodgers
Aug 13, 2009 Jordan Rodgers rated it liked it
It wasn't bad. Not as good as finding Alice, but it was still good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Is There a God?
  • It's All About Us (All About Us, #1)
  • The Grave of God's Daughter: A Novel
  • When Sparrows Fall
  • Eli
  • To Be a Mother
  • Sisterchicks Down Under (Sisterchicks, #4)
  • Last Light/Night Light (Restoration, #1 & #2)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • A Simple Spring (Seasons of Lancaster #2)
  • Cocaine's Son: A Memoir
  • The Spider Truces
  • The Neighbor: Three Inquiries in Political Theology
  • My Name Is Russell Fink
  • A Year and a Day
  • Thomas Aquinas: A Very Short Introduction
  • Augustine: A Very Short Introduction
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...