Start by marking “The General's Daughter (Paul Brenner, #1)” as Want to Read:
The General's Daughter (Paul Brenner, #1)

The General's Daughter (Paul Brenner #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  42,330 ratings  ·  446 reviews
Long before the John Travolta film of The General's Daughter (which the author extols in the foreword), Nelson DeMille's seventh mystery was the breakout hit of his career. The rapid-fire dialogue and scenes are cinematic, and the storytelling puts most movies to shame.

The book has three heroes: Paul Brenner and Cynthia Sunhill of the army's Criminal Investigation Divisi

Published January 21st 1993 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The General's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The General's Daughter

Bob Mayer
I read this as my introduction to Nelson DeMille years ago. As a veteran, his take on the Army is quite accurate. I like the balance of the mystery and the humor of the protagonist.

As a West Point graduate with the second class to have women, I think he explored a subject that few are willing to get into.

Where does the quest for power cross personal ethics? How much is an officer willing to give up for rank? With classmates commanding the 18th Airborne Corps at Ft. Bragg and McChord-Lewis in WA
Mike French
Very enjoyable and entertaining book from beginning to end. I am a big fan of Nelson DeMille and looking forward to reading more of his work.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Excellent mystery. Kept me up late a few nights. I figured out early on who killed the general's daughter, but DeMille did some skillful misdirecting to make me question my guess for a few hundred pages. Sneaky devil.

Some of the characters here are depraved in a way I wouldn't expect from DeMille, but they serve his purpose. He highlights some problems created by having males and females serving side by side in the military.

I loved the witty banter between investigators Paul Brenner and Cynthi
Sarah ( Paris )

تبدأ رواية ابنة الجنرال بجريمة قتل ، ونرى منذ البداية أنها ليست مجرد جريمة ضد فرد أو مجتمع بل جريمة ضد المؤسسة العسكرية ..
جريمة ضد النظام والإنضباط، وإهانة لمفاهيم الشرف والولاء والحكمة العسكرية التي تتمثل في :

" كل الأخوة بواسل ، وكل الأخوات فاضلات " ..

ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ

هذه الجملة تلخص هذه الرواية ..

يبحث بول برينير وسينيثيا صنهيل المحققان العسكريان عن المتهم ،
ويكتشفان ان للجريمة أبعاداً أخرى أعمق ..
يختلط فيها الماضي بالحاضر ..
وهناكَ أيضاً خليط آخر
Richard
I have seen the movie so many times, that John Travolta as a rough and sarcastic military investigator Paul Brenner is burned into the back of my head. And I really enjoyed the movie, and will watch it again for the 100th time.

The book was great, and way way way better than the movie, even though I had Travolta's face in the back of my mind while reading it. This is one of those books I stayed up reading way too late, lost track of time, and had that addictive quality too it.

If I was to become a
Denise
Where have I been that I didn't know that this book existed or that it was made into a movie 10 years ago?!

As others have mentioned, one of the benefits of the book club is the opportunity to read something I would not have sought out on my own. Left to my own devices, I probably would have passed up this great murder/mystery.

After settling into the book, I was captivated by the unfolding of the crime and the subsequent events that led up to the final "who done it." At times, however, I found
Sandra
Mike Nemeth
Nelson DeMille's writing is top-notch. It's so tight that I got hooked on the first three pages of "The General's Daughter." He weaves a tale so intricate, that the reader hasn't a clue where it's going or how it will evolve. The protagonist is Paul Brenner, an officer in the Army's Criminal Investigation Division. While undercover thwarting an illegal sale of weapons to Colombian drug cartel types, he is called in to determine how Ann Campbell, the general's talented daughter and an Army captai ...more
Dennis D.
This was the very first Nelson DeMille novel that I ever read. It’s also the only of one of his books (to this point) to have been made into a feature film.

Paul Brenner is a JAG-type military investigator dispatched to an army base (the fictional Fort Hadley) to investigate a murder. The victim is Ann Campbell, who is found naked, bound and gagged on the base’s firing range. Campbell was an up-and-coming soldier, the poster-child for the ‘new army,’ and daughter of Fort Hadley’s general. Brenne
Charlene
I'm not going to lie. I read this book because of the movie and wanted to compare the two. The movie centered a lot on Paul Brenner and it actually showed Brenner and the General's daughter actually meeting when that didn't happen in the book. The only thing that's similar is the actual case but a lot of the things that happened in the movie didn't really happen in the book.

The book was a really fast read. The General's daughter was found murdered early in the morning and it's up to Paul Brenner
Martin Hill
I've watched the movie based on Nelson DeMille’s The General's Daughter many times, but until recently I never had the chance to read it. I was eager to do so, since I am the author of a mystery novel also involving with a military criminal investigator and some of the same themes DeMille covers in this mystery novel.

In The General’s Daughter, Paul Brenner, an investigator with the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division, is working undercover at a fictitious Army base in Georgia when he is dr
EMP
I know I'm coming late to the party since everyone else and their brother has already either read this one or seen the movie. I listened to it and thought the narrator did a mediocre job. However, the story was decent and fast paced.
Mike
I would note this as a 2 star (just ok) but that would more reflect the fact that I had an old library copy of the audio book CD's, and there were a lot of scratches and heat damage to the last few tracks on each disc.

As far as the book goes, I was intrigued and interested in finding out who the killer was, but I was far from sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the next thing to happen. I know very little about military protocols and treatment of different kinds of officers, so that was i
Matthew
Maybe 3.5 stars . . .

I thought it was good . . . but I also thought it drug on a bit longer than it needed to in various places throughout the book. When I look back on it after finishing, I think it kept rehashing plot points in places that didn't need it - probably added 150 unnecessary pages or so.

But, as I said, not bad in the long run.
Brian
The hook is hard to resist. The body of Captain Ann Campbell, daughter of General Joe Campbell, is found -- naked, spreadeagled, and staked to the ground -- on a Fort Hadley rifle range. The rope around her neck indicates that she was strangled and her condition suggests rape. Paul Brenner, of the Army's Criminal Investigation Division, knows the bizarre scene must have an equally strange explanation. His job is to find it, and the murderer.

Nelson DeMille makes this stuff look easy, but that's a
Shannon
This book has less to do with Plum Island than Silence of the Lambs. It's... somewhat entertaining but reeeeeeeeeeaaally improbable. It's written VERY colloquial which I did not enjoy... there are a bunch of "and all of that" types of writing, but I did enjoy the jokes he cracks with the reader. I'm not a huge fan of books written in the 1st person, and really only Russo's The Straight Man pulls it off.
So, in short, I didn't hate it but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
Jamie
All in all, a really good mystery. My only problem with this book is that the character who ends up being best developed is dead the entire book. I ended up not really caring about the antagonists or their lives or their relationship. In fact, the story could have been told just as well without knowing anything about their romantic involvement at all. I'd read another of DeMille's mysteries, but not because of his detectives.
Ted Cross
I actually read the sequel to this one first, not on purpose but because that was what was available on my uncle's bookshelf at the time. I enjoyed that one, so I decided to read this. It's a pretty good military murder mystery, though I wouldn't say it blew my socks off.
Jamie
This was a a really good story, but it lost a star for being first person which really jars me off and the badly written romantic element.

I doubt this will be for everyone,The violent and sexual scenes are not written gratuitously but they don't need to be, they provide a chilling enough picture.

The themes - murder, rape, betrayal, divided loyalty and psychology, black ops, the place of women in the military - are sometimes unpleasant but ultimately interesting.

I had already seen the movie a n
Samantha
3.5....I wish I had read Nelson DeMille when I was 27, instead of 47...too many science books when I was in my 20's, and no time for pleasure reading.....;-)
Mark Bodenstein
I enjoyed this book a lot. The characters were well drawn, the tone and humor were just right, as were the serious parts. I enjoyed learning something about military culture, which I knew very little about. The plot was well put together and kept me reading. In the Foreword the author says the reader may notice some similarity to a Greek tragedy and I did - the way good intentions combined with human fears and human foibles lead to terrible actions, which cascaded to eventual tragedy. The one th ...more
The General’s Daughter is the first book in Nelson DeMille’s Paul Brenner series. (This book was also made into a movie.) It involves Brenner as part of the Army’s elite investigation unit scrutinizing the murder of Captain Ann Campbell, the daughter of legendary General “Fighting Joe” Campbell. The story unfolds through the hidden life of Ann Campbell, as well as the corruption and behavior the military is involved in.

I have read one of DeMille’s ‘John Corey’ series, which I really enjoyed, how
Kristina Jo
I have the John Travolta cover, which is weird, but poop happens, I guess. This was a mix of "What the freak happened!?" and "I can't take anymore!" Murder mysteries are rough for me, and the military aspect of this one made it both more interesting and harder to handle in more than little bits and pieces. Definitely did not figure out the murderer until the detectives did, which may or may not be a good indication of skillful authorship. Like I said, I'm not super big on the murder mysteries, s ...more
Nooilforpacifists
Do not bother with the movie. And, yes, the book is sexist.
Adam
One of Demille's Best

I would rank this one up there with plum island and word of honor. It was fast paced and the characters were pretty well developed. I also liked the ending a lot and by ending I mean the part after the main story is over. Demille tends to end his novels very abruptly but I think this one and plum island had the best endings of the 9 books of his I have read so far. I hope he will make another brenner novel as the Corey chars has run its course with his latest radiant angel b
Mickey
Alex
"The General's Daughter" by Nelson DeMille is a murder mystery that takes place on an Army base in Georgia. This is not for children and not for teens. It reminds me of some of the more explicit Faye Kellerman mysteries.... and probably Michael Crichton's "Rising Sun".

The story: a woman is found strangled to death on the gun range, staked out naked and sexually abused. She was an Army captain, a model officer and the General's daughter... thus the title. Two warrant officers (one male and one fe
Lia
Akhirnya kurang jelas sih, masih penasaran dengan apa yang sebenarnya terjadi. Sepanjang cerita juga tokoh utamanya, Paul Brenner yang detektif tentara itu kebanyakan menebak-nebak berdasarkan profil psikologi dan data forensik aja. Berhubung keterangan saksi banyak yang tidak sepenuhnya jujur. Ketidakjujuran yang didasarkan atas kehormatan atasan dan angkatan *mual*.
Ceritanya emang tentara banget. Sangat dijelaskan bahwa tentara berbeda dengan masyarakat sipil, mereka punya kode etik sendiri ya
J.
Intriguing mystery mixed with Army protocol made for a good read. Unnecessary love interest of Warrant Officer Paul Brenner, made a solid page turner drag a bit slow at times for seemingly no real reason in the story.

Rather graphic at times, which seemed at times gratuitous, and while an important part of the plot, again seemed to slow the book down and almost made me want to put it down (almost), and certainly would be a complete turnoff to anybody with more delicate sensibilities.

In the end t
Terry Huebner
Captain Ann Campbell is found naked, tied spread-eagled to four tent posts, possibly raped and murdered on the rifle range at Camp Hadley in Georgia. The daughter of her war hero commanding officer, Captain Campbell has been engaging in a decade long war or sorts with her father which may have culminated in her death. CID detectives Paul Brenner and Cynthia Sunhill, themselves former lovers, happen to be on post handling other matters and are assigned to the case. They soon find that Captain Cam ...more
  • Total Control
  • Turning Angel (Penn Cage, #2)
  • The Day After Tomorrow
  • The List
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • The Burden of Proof (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #2)
  • Blood Work (Terry McCaleb, #1)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • The President's Assassin (Sean Drummond #5)
  • The Matarese Circle (Matarese #1)
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille. He moved as a child with his family to Long Island. In high school, he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army and attended Officer Candidate School. He was a First Lieutenant in the United States Army (1966-69) and saw action as an
More about Nelson DeMille...

Paul Brenner (2 books)
  • Up Country
Plum Island (John Corey, #1) The Charm School The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2) The Lion (John Corey, #5) The Gold Coast

“Basically, all women are nurturers and healers, and all men are mental patients to varying degrees.” 99 likes
“I enjoy the presence of a woman in the house for brief periods of time. They fall into two categories: the organizers and the slobs. There’s probably a third category—the naggers, who try to get you to do things, but I’ve never run into one of those. Oddly, I have no preference regarding oganizers or slobs, as long as they don’t try to pick my clothes for me. Basically, all women are nurturers and healers, and all men are mental patients to varying degrees. It works fine if people stick to their fated roles. But nobody does.” 13 likes