Start by marking “Please Write In This Book” as Want to Read:
Please Write In This Book

Please Write In This Book

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  74 reviews
When a teacher leaves a blank book in the Writer's Corner for her students to find, with the instructions "Please Write in this Book," she hopes it will encourage her students to talk to one another in its pages. They do, and the result is an epic classroom battle.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 1/2/2008 Pages: 97 Reading Level: Age 7 and Up
Published January 2nd 2008 by Holiday House (P) (first published October 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Please Write In This Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please Write In This Book

N_kellie
"Hello boys and girls,
You have found this book! I hid it in the writer’s corner, hoping you would. During center time, you can choose to come to the writer’s corner and write in this journal. Write about anything you want. Leave it for other students to find and write in, too. I want you to “talk” to one another in these pages."
And that’s just what the students in this class do…..
Please write in this Book had me laughing out loud. These characters seemed so real, I almost imagined my own 3rd gr
Margaret Behr
I hoped this book was similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Dork Diaries, and the like. As a librarian, reader's advisory is a large part of my job and I'm constantly looking for related titles.

I like that this book had different characters, and each character had a unique writing style (both in diction and handwriting), but on the whole, I found it to be a repetitive story. Ms. Wurtz leaves behind a blank journal for her class to use in their Writing Corner. One by one, students find the book and b
Jaime
It wants to be Diary of a Wimpy Kid--but never quite gets there.
Kjrstin
Ms. Wurtz decides to encourage creative expression and dialouge between her second graders by leaving a blank notebook in her classroom's "Writer's Corner" so that students will. She does in hope that students "talk to each other." The only stipulations are to "have fun" and "sign your name," and she promises not to read it until the end of the month. The children waste no time to begin to fearless express themselves as only 8 year olds can. As the boys' bathroom humor escalates against the girl ...more
Sara
Category: easy reader
Author: Mary Amato
Illustrator: Eric Brace
Title: Please Write in This Book
Publisher: 2006 by Holiday House
ISBN: 0823419320 (ISBN13: 9780823419326)
Genre: fiction
Reading level: grade 2/3 and up

On her first day of school, Lizzie discovers that Mrs. Wurtz has left a special notebook in the Writing Corner. A note on the first page explains that the purpose of the notebook is to become the class journal where students can write about anything they want to share with each other. As
Stacey
Great idea for a teacher to place a blank notebook in the writing center/library area and get the students communicating with each other. In this story, the class was hilariously teasing each other throughout the month. Though, they realized that they went too far but they came up with a good plan. What did the class do? How do you think the teacher responded to the notebook? Read this book to find out.
Aarifa
This was a funny story. The characters were funny too. They had fights, conversations, writing poems, apologies and having fun! Luke and his two friends are mean, Lizzy and her friend Kyoshi keep having arguments with Luke and his friends, Kesha always talks about horses, Milton always talk about facts and opinions. It is an AMAZING BOOK!
Lauren
This was a funny and sweet story about a group of students who work out some of their differences by writing in a class journal. I loved the characters: Lizzy the bossy poet, Luke the class clown, Milton the nerdy peace-maker and especially Keesha who loves horses. As a teacher that gets to see kids interacting on a regular basis, I loved this book. The sense of humor, the petty fights, the wonderful imagination of upper elementary kids is all there in spades. I think kids will love this book an ...more
Ms. B
Part of the 2011-2012 Maud Hart Lovelace reading list - If you liked Sloppy Copy Slip Up or The Adventures of Ron Faster at the Harvey N. Trouble School, this might be the book for you.
Could be a good book for young readers who like humorous stories or as a class read-aloud to promote creative writing.
Additional notes - I do have a few concerns about some of the things students wrote in the notebook. They could be construed as bullying. Even when the teacher had a fair idea about what was happe
Rich
The first book recommended to me by my daughter. The beginning of what is hopefully a long tradition of sharing favorite books with each other.
Linda
The premise is that a teacher places a blank book in the writing center and everyone secretly (in class) is supposed to add to it, back and forth, throughout the month. I thought it was going to be such fun to see what the kids wrote. Then the teacher said she would read at the end of the month. It is straight 3rd grade stuff, but jokes about worms and stuff up the nose and falling on one's buttocks (ha ha) get stale over and over. I skimmed because there is also name-calling and making fun, whi ...more
Kim Fortin
So funny and exactly what I needed this past weekend :)
Karen
This book is about a teacher who hides a blank book in the class writing center for the students to write in. She says that she will check the book once a month and they can write what they want. The kids in this book are pretty mean to each other. It's great that they learn to work together in the end, but I just didn't like it. I felt that the teacher should have been reading the notebook all along, not waiting a whole month. I also didn't feel that it seemed like the teacher was taking the bu ...more
Books Kids Like
A teacher leaves a journal in the Writer's Corner of her classroom with a few simple rules- write in the book, have fun, and sign your name. What begins as an attempt to get the students writing freely turns into a classroom battle. Students compete for time with the book, the boys try to shock the girls with their "potty" mouths, and, then, someone kidnaps it. One student's suggestion turns a hurtful experience into an activity in unity. It's worth spending the few hours it takes to read it.
Charlee Jackson
Dec 27, 2011 Charlee Jackson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kristen Lindeman
I like this book because it was hilarious. The part when Milton says he likes roving robots and Luke says, "How about you put a roving robot up your honker" (nose), was especially funny. I also laughed at Keesha, who loves horses, when she said she wants to be a horse when she grows up. This book was basically about a class who got a journal from their teacher and they could write letters to each other. They were supposed to have fun and sign their names at the end of their letter.
Kate Hastings
RL 480. A teacher leaves a blank book in her classroom's writing corner for her students to play with. There are only two rules: don't tell anyone about the notebook (let them discover it) and to sign your name to your writing.

What follows is a flurry of stories, poems and pictures as the students try to figure out their teacher's intentions. A good book for children that enjoy diaries and the Amelia's Notebook series by Moss. Light read for grades 2-3.
Ann Haefele
I enjoyed this quick read written for elementary school students. It reminded me of Diary of a Wimpy Kid for younger students. The story focuses on a class taking turns writing in a journal. What starts as mean things being written about each other evolves into a collaborative creative writing exercise. By the end of the story classmates were beginning to understand each other and had learned to allow for different interests and personalities.
Ashley
Age range: 9-12
Number of pages: 97

This is a chapter book that might be more appropriate for older grades, but could be used as a read-aloud for younger grades. It is a cute book that shows what happened when a teacher left a blank notebook out in the reading corner with the directions, "Please write in this book." This book would be good for talking about journal entries, but would still be appropriate to show informal letter writing.
Patrick Henry
This is a book for kids who like funny pictures mixed in with the text.

I laughed throughout the book and it was on the 2008 SRP list for kids grades 3-6.

The teacher tries to promote writing in her classroom by creating a "writing corner" where the kids can write in a book that the teacher will not read. This is the start of an hilarious by-play of words with pictures between the kids of the class.

reviewed by Dori
Michelle
I first was a little turned off when I realized the whole project was adult initiated. Books are so much stronger when the children initiated it. Then I felt that it glorified bullying in a way. This is the same type of bullying that is very prevalent online. I realize that it all got resolved at the end, but I just didn't think the book was funny. My search for chapter books for 3rd-5th grade continues.
Cornmaven
I just loved this book. While it's younger kids writing in the 'class book' placed in the Writing Center by the teacher, I think even high schoolers can get into the meanness theme, the personalities that come through the writing, and how the kids resolve and learn to accept differences. I even wondered to myself whether a MS or HS group would decide to replicate the act of a 'class book'....
Talia
Mrs. Wurtz sets up a journal in her class's writing center for her students to find and write in...what happens is a lesson in teasing, forgiveness, and learning to work together!

If you've ever had a diary or passed notes in school, this book will bring back memories! The drawings make this book so real, which is probably why kids relate to it so well.
Christina G
The Kids Jr. Book Club (grades 1-3) read this and seemed to find it amusing. I liked the sense of humor, but my adult brain insists on being critical of its portrayals of gender (the boys were the funny ones, whereas the girls were rule-oriented squares). I know the boys vs girls theme appeals to tons of kids, but it leaves me feeling cold.
Natalia
This book is fun each students write what they want and what happend at school each day.A lot of fun is in this book, girls hid in the girls bathroom the book because they think boys write mean things about girla specialy of Lizzy and Yoshi but the boys found the book and hided in boys bathroom.But at the hed everybody was happy.
Hilary
Mrs. Wurtz leaves a blank notebook in a corner of her room for the kids in her class to discover and write their thoughts in. When the writing gets out of hand, the kids must work together to decide how to solve the conflict. A quick read with true to life characters, this book will inspire others to start notebooks of their own.
Jen H.
I can understand why kids like this book but it was ok. Diary of a wimpy kid is much much better but this book is still cute. Students in a class write in a journal to each other every day in their writing center but soon things get out of line and they must resolve the problem before their teacher reads the journal and takes it away.
Sharon
3rd&up. This story is told in journal format, with a class full of main characters. The chapter book includes plenty of illustrations, and a fair amount of potty-type humor (you decide if that's a positive or negative)! It's a fast read, with a girls versus boys thread, and It should be quite popular with it's intended audience.
Lydia Davis
To much gross and mean stuff
Kyle
I didn't like how most of this book was the students calling each other names and fighting. Not only does it set a bad example but it's also just uninteresting to read. I can't imagine kids getting very excited about this book. It doesn't have any of the charm of the Wimpy Kid books which I'm sure it was modeled after.
Kerri
This one was cute. I like the idea of hiding a composition notebook in a corner of my room and writing a note inside inviting kids to write in it like this teacher did. Although, doing this in middle school could get dangerous, I think with the right kind of environment it would be fantastic!
  • Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Spunky Tells All
  • Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
  • The Legend of Spud Murphy
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Melonhead
  • The Ink Drinker
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel [Divided By] 1 Dog = Chaos
  • Fame and Glory in Freedom, Georgia
  • Emily's Fortune
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Oggie Cooder
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • Jeremy Bender vs. the Cupcake Cadets
  • Bowling Alley Bandit
Born January 3, 1961, in Belvidere, IL; grew up in Libertyville, Illinois; married Ivan Amato (a science writer); children: Maxwell, Simon. Pets: Sorry, none! Favorite food: Chocolate.

I studied special education and dance at Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana. In graduate school, I studied fiction writing and poetry at Johns Hopkins University in Washington, DC.
More about Mary Amato...
Guitar Notes The Naked Mole-Rat Letters The Word Eater Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook Invisible Lines

“hi my name is luke, it rhymes with puke!” 12 likes