Start by marking “Deschooling Our Lives” as Want to Read:
Deschooling Our Lives

Deschooling Our Lives

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A provocative, practical response to the crisis in our schools, this book argues boldly for replacing compulsory schooling with a wide variety of home, neighborhood, and community-based educational efforts. Hern examines how the day-to-day experience of school teaches subservience, deadens children's natural love of learning, undercuts their self-esteem, and limits indepen ...more
Published July 1st 1998 by New Society Publishers (first published December 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Deschooling Our Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deschooling Our Lives

Sonicage
Mar 18, 2009 Sonicage rated it really liked it
A decent group of essays describing why school sucks and how you can get a life of learning back.

Although, it is worth noting that notable authors in the book have since abandoned any hope of school reform altogether, one in particular became pointedly hostile toward the concept of any school.

That is to say, this is not a concrete manual, but an assemblage of ideas about education/learning.
Antoniolarsongmail.com
Apr 21, 2014 Antoniolarsongmail.com rated it it was amazing
This book came into my life unexpectedly at a most opportune time. I cant even count how many inspiring reading sessions i shared with this book. The chapters are broken up into extremely manageable excerpts of 3-5 pages, each one packing punches in the face of our conventional wisdom about what schools should be. Over and over, i was reminded of my own academic struggles and disinterest as well as the times when i learned the most, willingly, usually on my own or with "teachers" of my choosing. ...more
Wendy
Aug 07, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it
I enjoyed some of the articles more than others.
Gea
Jul 25, 2007 Gea rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Interested in learning more about what 'deschooling' actually means
For those interested in learning the difference between home schooling and de schooling - this books is about de schooling. It is a very pro deschooling book and is made up of a variety of essays from a variety of individuals (including Gatto and Illich) -
A great book to introduce the concept of de schooling. Easy to read because of how book is divided.
Edited by a graduate of Goddard and some essays are from Goddard faculity.
Tiffanie
Feb 24, 2009 Tiffanie rated it really liked it
This is a book that is changing my life already. I've always been disenchanted with schools, in a vague way, and this collection of essays has clarified my reasons and given me sight of a new way.
Sara
Mar 30, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Such an excellent and important book. A wonderful starting point for education reform reading, self-directed learning, and an introduction to many unschooling and natural ed philosophies.
Calla
Jan 22, 2015 Calla rated it it was ok
Rather than a cohesive narrative, this is a series of essays on the ideas of de-schooling. Interesting pieces, but not what I expected.
Cori
Jun 16, 2011 Cori rated it liked it
I liked some essays better than others. I liked reading a new perspective on learning.
Wright
Jun 13, 2008 Wright rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
good overview of the Deschooling approach by some of its top advocates
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Utkarsh
Utkarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Nasraini
Nasraini rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Sherry Bailey
Sherry Bailey marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Salah Almhamdi
Salah Almhamdi marked it as to-read
Norhan Shaker
Norhan Shaker marked it as to-read
Brad Matthews
Brad Matthews marked it as to-read
Delphine
Delphine marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
ukuklele
ukuklele marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Hungry Changeling
Hungry Changeling marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Olisia
Olisia marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Michael Laney
Michael Laney marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
E
E rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Peteypie
Peteypie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Donna W
Donna W marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Zaneta
Zaneta added it
Jan 28, 2016
Kat Vik
Kat Vik marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
  • The Unschooling Unmanual
  • The Unprocessed Child: Living Without School
  • Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves
  • Parenting a Free Child: An Unschooled Life
  • Real Lives: Eleven Teenagers Who Don't Go to School Tell Their Own Stories
  • Instead of Education: Ways to Help People Do Things Better
  • The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • The Day I Became an Autodidact
  • What Does It Mean to Be Well Educated?: And More Essays on Standards, Grading, and Other Follies
  • Free to Learn: Five Ideas for a Joyful Unschooling Life
  • The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling
  • Summerhill: A Radical Approach to Child Rearing
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • The Underground History of American Education: An Intimate Investigation Into the Prison of Modern Schooling
  • The Book of Learning and Forgetting