Start by marking “Stan the Hot Dog Man” as Want to Read:
Stan the Hot Dog Man

Stan the Hot Dog Man

In 1957, Harper published its first I Can Read title, Little Bear, written by Else Holmelund Minarik and illustrated by Maurice Sendak. Large type, simple vocabulary, chapter-like divisions, and decorative pictures made Little Bear perfect for emerging readers
Published May 30th 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Stan the Hot Dog Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stan the Hot Dog Man

Bernadette Davis
Mar 01, 2013 Bernadette Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I feel like such a cheat, putting this book on my 'read' bookshelf. But, I'd be lying if I told you that I didn't read this book many many many many times when I was young and that it was a big part of my early reading days. ( I still don't know why I liked it so much.) A man. A hotdog truck. The name Stan. All sounds pretty original to me. Original in a weird, wonderful way. And I love every bit of it.
Michael Fitzgerald
This seems like a really good book for senior citizens who have retired and are now just getting around to learning how to read. However, why a kid would want to read it is beyond me.
Ash
Dec 21, 2016 Ash rated it it was amazing
A cute story about a retiring baker with nice illustrations. The plot is cute and warms the heart.
Rosa Cline
Dec 14, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, winter
This is a level 2 reader but I would say more of an 'advanced' step 2, than a beginner step 2.

Stan is retiring from his job and he wants to do something he loves, and that's selling hot dogs. He has a corner where he sells them and develops friends during that time. When it snows heavily he gets stuck but so does some of his friends. He takes care of them all by 'camping out' in the hot dog van until they get rescued.

This was an unusual story not one of dogs, or cats, or little children. But m
Alyssa Williams
"Stan the Hot Dog Man" is a picture book written by Ethal Kessler. The story is about a man named Stan who sells hotdogs on the same corner every day. He retires from a bakery and pursues his job of selling hotdogs. Stan is an awesome role model for children. He truly cares and helps other people with a positive attitude, while showing responsibility in what he does. Stan was a special character who always cares about everyone else. This is a excellent book for the classroom and to teach virtues ...more
Theresa
May 07, 2009 Theresa rated it liked it
Geoffrey who is in kindergarten read this to me last night. It is his book for AR points. I thought he did a great job as it is a level 2 book. I had to help him with only some of the words. I liked that the story is about a retired man, Stan, and what he does after he retires from his job. Most of the fiction books geared for young readers seem to be about cute animals or children.
Krystal
Oct 27, 2015 Krystal rated it it was ok
we had high hopes for this one. tommy was excited that it involved hot dogs but that was about it for him.
Scott Unfried
Jan 11, 2015 Scott Unfried rated it it was amazing
This is another one of my childhood favorites. There is something so crucial and formative about these books that draw the reader in.
Chak
Apr 06, 2009 Chak rated it liked it
Shelves: kid
Hot dog man helps children in a bus trapped in a snow storm and everything turns out great. Decent easy reader book.
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Cws
May 18, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Kes
Rebecka
Rebecka rated it did not like it
Dec 04, 2016
Jaqui
Jaqui rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2010
Allet
Allet rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
The Book Crusader
The Book Crusader rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Harveen
Harveen rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2008
Fjóla
Fjóla rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Mason
Jul 04, 2013 Mason rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book in my second grade classroom.
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
Nigel
Nigel rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2011
Jul 16, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Cute story that was surprisingly complex for an easy reader at this level.
A.j. Tobia
Dec 31, 2013 A.j. Tobia rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite books I read growing up. an excellent story
Erin Logan
Erin Logan rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2011
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Aalyiah
Aalyiah rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2011
Genetta
Genetta rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Bookworm1017
Bookworm1017 rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Jasmine Allen
Jasmine Allen rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2008