Start by marking “Eight Pillars of Greek Wisdom: What You Can Learn from Classical Myth and History” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The ancient Greeks had it all. They lived life to the fullest, loved unashamedly, listened to their heart’s desires, and created one of the most advanced, culturally sophisticated societies ever known. Is all that now dead and buried? Or only for the professors to mull over?

One classics scholar, Dr. Stephen Bertman, answers this resoundingly in The Eight Pillars of Greek W

Published January 1st 2007 by Barnes & Noble Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Eight Pillars of Greek Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Pillars of Greek Wisdom

Steve Rangoussis
Jun 12, 2010 Steve Rangoussis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who is literate
The most famous monument of ancient Greece was the Parthenon, erected at the apex of the Acropolis over 2500 years ago. Each of the eight columns that support the Parthenon's entrance stood for eight ideological pillars:
1. Humanism
2. The Pursuit of Excellence
3. The Practice of Modernity
4. Self-Knowledge
5. Rationalism
6. Restless Curiosity
7. The Love of Freedom
8. Individualism

An easy and inspiring read recommended for everyone especially Greeks of today who have obviously forgotten about the eight
Colin
This is one of the best and most important books that I have ever read. Full stop. Period. It is about the gifts of Greek civilization, often explored through mythological and literary tales, to Western civilization. And it actually explains this well. This book so closely reflects my own views on Western humanism that I was forced to revise all the notes to my hope-for-some-day book on humanism in the wake of having read it.

Read this. Seriously.
Tobi
The most helpful book I have read in years. I will be looking more deeply into the Eight Pillars of Greek Wisdom, reading the classic Greek literature and trying to live my life based on them. I will reread this one many times and keep it on my nightstand. Highly recommended!!!
Ryan
Good book that uses classic Greek stories and myths to describe the core values that drove ancient Greek cultural excellence.
Hannah Brislin
A self help book using Greek Myths and their lesson as a tool to improve your life. Very interesting.
Barbie
Liked it so much I am re-reading , which I don't often do.
Evangelos
this book was very good and insightful!! I thought that I learned a lot and will always think "these" types of ways in the future. read this book :)
Elizabeth
Very good book on wisdom and how to understand the greeks. It is a great explanation of being human what life is and how to moderate.
Carol
The author has an unusual pedigree, but the book presents some good background as I prepare to teach Oedipus and Antigone!
Valerie Haro
Love his use of language. Not difficult to understand.
Leandro Melendez
Leandro Melendez marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Veronica Hewston
Veronica Hewston is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2015
Jamie
Jamie is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
Christoph
Christoph is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Landen
Landen marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Harley Grammer
Harley Grammer is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
David D.
David D. marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Andie Olson
Andie Olson is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2014
Tiffani
Tiffani marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Stephen Bertman received his doctorate in Greek and Latin Literature from Columbia University, and holds additional degrees in Classics from New York University and in Near Eastern and Judaic Studies from Brandeis. Dr. Bertman has published extensively in the field of ancient Mediterranean civilization. In addition to articles and chapters on Classical and Near Eastern history and though, his book ...more
More about Stephen Bertman...
The Handbook to Life in Ancient Mesopotamia Climbing Olympus: What You Can Learn from Greek Myth and Wisdom Hyperculture: The Human Cost of Speed Erotic Love Poems of Greece and Rome Doorways Through Time: The Romance of Archaeology