Start by marking “Eight Pillars of Greek Wisdom: What You Can Learn from Classical Myth and History” as Want to Read:

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The ancient Greeks had it all. They lived life to the fullest, loved unashamedly, listened to their heart’s desires, and created one of the most advanced, culturally sophisticated societies ever known. Is all that now dead and buried? Or only for the professors to mull over?

One classics scholar, Dr. Stephen Bertman, answers this resoundingly in The Eight Pillars of Greek W

Published January 1st 2007 by Barnes & Noble Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Eight Pillars of Greek Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Pillars of Greek Wisdom

Steve Rangoussis
Jun 12, 2010 Steve Rangoussis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who is literate
The most famous monument of ancient Greece was the Parthenon, erected at the apex of the Acropolis over 2500 years ago. Each of the eight columns that support the Parthenon's entrance stood for eight ideological pillars:
1. Humanism
2. The Pursuit of Excellence
3. The Practice of Modernity
4. Self-Knowledge
5. Rationalism
6. Restless Curiosity
7. The Love of Freedom
8. Individualism

An easy and inspiring read recommended for everyone especially Greeks of today who have obviously forgotten about the eight
Colin
Jan 16, 2010 Colin rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best and most important books that I have ever read. Full stop. Period. It is about the gifts of Greek civilization, often explored through mythological and literary tales, to Western civilization. And it actually explains this well. This book so closely reflects my own views on Western humanism that I was forced to revise all the notes to my hope-for-some-day book on humanism in the wake of having read it.

Read this. Seriously.
Tobi
Apr 22, 2011 Tobi rated it it was amazing
The most helpful book I have read in years. I will be looking more deeply into the Eight Pillars of Greek Wisdom, reading the classic Greek literature and trying to live my life based on them. I will reread this one many times and keep it on my nightstand. Highly recommended!!!
Ryan
May 15, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it
Good book that uses classic Greek stories and myths to describe the core values that drove ancient Greek cultural excellence.
Hannah Brislin
Sep 01, 2014 Hannah Brislin rated it really liked it
A self help book using Greek Myths and their lesson as a tool to improve your life. Very interesting.
Barbie
Jul 26, 2013 Barbie rated it it was amazing
Liked it so much I am re-reading , which I don't often do.
Alice Eberhart-wright
A different type of read for me. As I age, my mind craves new variety. I never used to be interested in mythology or ancient civilizations but this fits with the type of reflection I like at this point in life. I wrote down the 8 pillars so I will remember them. And I love the beginning and ending quotations from Thoreau, one of my heroes.
Evangelos
Apr 27, 2014 Evangelos rated it it was amazing
this book was very good and insightful!! I thought that I learned a lot and will always think "these" types of ways in the future. read this book :)
Elizabeth
Very good book on wisdom and how to understand the greeks. It is a great explanation of being human what life is and how to moderate.
Carol
Aug 20, 2009 Carol rated it it was ok
The author has an unusual pedigree, but the book presents some good background as I prepare to teach Oedipus and Antigone!
Valerie Haro
Jul 22, 2014 Valerie Haro rated it it was amazing
Love his use of language. Not difficult to understand.
Walker
Jan 28, 2015 Walker rated it it was ok
**1/2
Christine Vassar
Christine Vassar marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Molly Balding
Molly Balding is currently reading it
May 13, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Erica Garcia
Erica Garcia marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Tina Le
Tina Le is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2016
Daina
Daina marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Harley Johnson
Harley Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Andrew Campbell
Andrew Campbell rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
L. Layale
L. Layale marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2015
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Jim Hurley
Jim Hurley marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Nicolas Casselman
Nicolas Casselman marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Gisele
Gisele added it
Sep 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Stephen Bertman received his doctorate in Greek and Latin Literature from Columbia University, and holds additional degrees in Classics from New York University and in Near Eastern and Judaic Studies from Brandeis. Dr. Bertman has published extensively in the field of ancient Mediterranean civilization. In addition to articles and chapters on Classical and Near Eastern history and though, his book ...more
More about Stephen Bertman...