Ghosting

Ghosting

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Nate and his sister Sandy are fake mediums and don't believe in the ghosts they pretend to see. That is, until the real ghosts of a serial killer's victims appear with a message for Sandy.
Published January 20th 2008 by Barrington Stoke Ltd

The Replacement by Brenna YovanoffUnwind by Neal ShustermanAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeKrampus by BromThe Devouring by Simon Holt
Scary Book Covers
39th out of 217 books — 45 voters
Ghosts Can Bleed by Tracie McBrideAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeIn Dreams by J. SterlingGhosting by Keith GrayThe Pickpocket's Ghost by Catherine Fisher
Ghosts on a cover
4th out of 32 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Belle
Nat and his sister Sandy make their living by scamming grieving people into believing they can communicate with the dead. But they get way in over their heads. Unfortunately the plot is totally predictable and so the events are not scary at all. I saw what was coming - right down to the “twist” at the end - from miles away. I know it’s only a short story but there wasn’t much in the way of character development. The villain is entirely obvious and his MO is like something ripped out of a bad epi...more
Faye, la Patata
Thanks NetGalley for a free copy of this short story in exchange for a review! This did not influence my review in any way.

Ok, before I requested this book, I saw the disclaimer saying that this book was intended for young, "reluctant" readers, so I won't be reviewing this book in my usual way, instead, I'll be talking about this in the eyes of the intended audience. That's only fair, yeah?

Overall, I thought the writing and pace was good and easy to follow. There were enough descriptions to make...more
Lori Spier
Dec 11, 2012 Lori Spier rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults, reluctant readers, young girls
Ghosting is a "reluctant reader" story of a brother and sister who talk to ghosts for a living. Or do they?

It's an interesting book, but there was a lack of the type of tension that makes horror novels so successful. Everything just felt a tad flat, and I never felt fully invested in any of the characters. I didn't *care* about them or what they did. I know that Ghosting is written for (roughly) 11 year old with a Grade 4 reading comprehension, but that doesn't negate the fact that you need *som...more
Hilary
Since their mother, a séance medium, passed away, Nat and Sandy have carried on the family’s tradition of “ghosting.” Seventeen-year-old Sandy is the medium, and younger brother Nat is her assistant. He is also the first person narrator of the concise story. Preying on the credulous, Sandy has no difficulty fooling her clients and taking their money; Nat has some conscience, but does not rebel, since the siblings need the income.

The story opens with a typical séance, followed by a description o...more
Jenna Anderson
Intended for Reluctant Teen Readers. Great Creepy Fun for Everyone

What a fantastic page turner! Ghosting starts out with a spooky edge and builds from there. Even the most resistant reader will want to know what happens next.

Stoke Books offers titles for older, reluctant readers. They have action and are presented at a lower reading level. Ghosting is such a great option. I can see teachers using this title for units on setting and atmosphere. This author provides great subtle detail - all sense...more
MaryAnn
I think this book is well suited to the teenage reluctant readers to which it is targeted. The story is about a sister and brother pair that works with adults to contact their loved ones that have passed away.

MILD SPOILER: While initially they needed to fake that they were being contacted by those that have passed on, as the book progresses it becomes clear that no acting is required anymore.

I thought the plot was concise and it was intriguing to keep the reader interested to find out what happ...more
Alexander Petkovski
This is a thrilling story about two siblings Sandy and Nat who give ghosting sessions. There is a rumor that their mother could communicate with the dead and so can Sandy. Nat and Sandy are invited at Mrs. Mory's house to have a private session with a group of people, each one having their own secrets.
I won't give anything because the story is short.
I read it the day after Halloween, but I wish I read it on Halloween.
It was well-written. The pages were flowing very fast. After all, it's an aweso...more
* Booksessed * Bec
Book provided by publisher.

This book is aimed at struggling or reluctant readers or children with dyslexia. Age level 11, while at a grade 4 reading level.

I thought it was a great little read. The writing was simple enough for a child and didn't suffer for it. It was an interesting read that kept me interested. I would be really interested in reading a longer, YA version of this.
Megan McDade
2.5*

This book is a short story for reluctant readers and readers with dyslexia.

It was was a quick read that was predictable and didnt have much suspense but had an interesting storyline if it was bulked up a bit a more tensio added.
Amanda
Jan 30, 2013 Amanda marked it as hmmm  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmmmm.... Sounds like Haunting Violet...
Sidra
I really liked it especially the ending...
Amy Louise
Good quick read :)
PWRL
May 15, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Nicole Campbell
Nicole Campbell is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Willow Baird
Willow Baird marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
Luciac
Luciac marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
19042
In his earliest years, Grimsby-born Keith Gray turned from reluctant reader to passionate reader – then straight on to being a dedicated writer. He published Creepers (1996), which was shortlisted for the 1997 Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, in his early twenties, and since then has penned a number of award-winning and critically-acclaimed novels. He is a reviewer of teenage fiction for the Gua...more
More about Keith Gray...