Start by marking “Pretties (Uglies, #2)” as Want to Read:

Pretties (Uglies #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  168,957 ratings  ·  8,201 reviews
Gorgeous. Popular. Perfect.

Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something im
Published November 2005 by Simon & Schuster Simon Pulse (first published May 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Pretties, please sign up.

Jack Becker I see it as Westerfeld's way of showing us how Tally goes from being "pretty-minded" to more "cured" throughout the book. Trust me, I felt the same…moreI see it as Westerfeld's way of showing us how Tally goes from being "pretty-minded" to more "cured" throughout the book. Trust me, I felt the same way at first, until I read on and realized it was just "pretty-talk," and from then on it was used more ironically, which I thought effectively showed the change in mind-set. (less)
Emily D Focused, basically. Imagine that you are drugged or half asleep most of the time, except occasionally you are suddenly more awake, like most people.…moreFocused, basically. Imagine that you are drugged or half asleep most of the time, except occasionally you are suddenly more awake, like most people. Bubbly is how you're feeling right now, except the Pretties don't feel like that most of the time.(less)
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
17th out of 20,334 books — 54,505 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingUglies by Scott WesterfeldWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëLife of Pi by Yann Martel
What To Read Next
14th out of 9,368 books — 18,285 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel
Here's what I wrote on my book club blog about Pretties, and the whole series: Westerfeld knows that he's writing to teens, so he's trying to address a LOT of issues that teens face. One is, obviously, being superficial. Remember reading the teen magazines, hearing all of the celebrity gossip (not to mention your own school gossip), trying to dress well and be "cool?" Maybe you were better than I was and didn't get pulled into that, but most teens are. And often the pull doesn't go away once you ...more
Kristina
Mar 22, 2009 Kristina rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Kristina by: Kenzie
I'm pretty disappointed with this book. The last one was pretty good but this one... not so great. They kept using this stupid pretty language that annoyed me to no end. If i hear that anything is "Bogus, bubbly, pretty-making, fashion-missing" ect. EVER again, i might have to strangle that person.

Besides the annoying slang, the main character is now a complete twit. She is a "Pretty" sure, but she made some really stupid decisions. The worst was at the end. She picked the WRONG guy. and that's
Jessica
What I found most interesting about Pretties was its thematic use of various forms of bodily mutilation/eating disorders. In a perfect society, where everyone is brain-damaged into peace and transformed into absolutely perfectly beautiful creatures, how do you rebel? By starving yourself, cutting yourself - in a lesser sense, by covering your body in tattoos. (Tattoos as mutilation is a controversial thought, and I'm not sure I know where I stand with it - I mean, are some tattoos okay, but a bo ...more
Beth
Pretties is the sequel to Uglies, the second in a trilogy which I had started back two months previous. I opened the book with some hesitancy, despite the fact that I'd enjoyed the first book and had been anxious to start the second, since the details of the first book were kind of fuzzy — would I remember enough to piece together a coherent story?

Turns out I needn’t have worried. Pretties picks up where Uglies left off, yes — but the main character’s memory has been tampered with and she can’t
Christina
Tatiana
Just like "Uglies," "Pretties" is an entertaining read. Tally's adventures continue as she becomes pretty and fights to regain her awareness. We meet some new characters, including Tally's new love interest. The story moves fast and gets more intense in the third part of the book. Like many mentioned before, the "pretty talk" gets annoying. There is only so many times you can take the word "bubbly" repeated. But I guess the author was trying to create a "pretty language" indicative of the slow p ...more
Helen
Really? Gotta bring in a love triangle? Sigh.
And if I never hear the word "bubbly" again, I'll die happy.
Pretty positive I won't be finishing this series, because I like my brain cells too much.
Mary
Michael
"Pretties" suffers from middle-of-a-trilogy-itis. It has to move the story forward, setting up things to come in the final installment, but it can't necessarily push things too far ahead for fear of losing audiences in the next installment.

"Pretties" picks up a few months after "Uglies" ended with Tally having undergone surgery and become pretty. We're treated to glimpses of her hedonistic lifestyle now, but a lot of the first third of this story had me wondering when the real plot would kick in
Diane
(EDITED: Updated star-status at the end)

Is this book really as bad I as I think it is? I need more friends to read this, to reassure me that it really is awful and it's not just that I'm sick (which I am. I mean, with bronchitis.) So do it! Read this! And tell me it is bad!! ("Ew, this is awful! taste it!")

Anyway, i'd say 2 stars just because i feel guilty giving only 1 star and I *did* finish it. So, 1.5 stars. Because you know something is wrong when "It Was Okay" sounds way too generous...

Whe
Ariel
My first completed novel for the #BookTubeAThon!

My thoughts on this book are simple:
- I enjoyed it, but I don't think it comes close to matching how great Uglies was
- The plot in the last around 100 pages was exciting, but the first 2/3rds of this book dragged and felt all-together unnecessary
- The novel felt repetitive and redundant at several points
- I feel like it's suffering from middle-book-syndrome

I did enjoy it, like I said, but it just didn't capture me like the first one. I will defini
Norah Sumner
Apr 08, 2015 Norah Sumner rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Uglies fans
Recommended to Norah by: I brought this misery upon myself
If I hear word bubbly one more time,I'll kill someone.

This was boring as hell.The story is boring,actions of the characters are utterly boring and stupid,the ending is stupid as hell...I'm really disappointed.And there's suddenly a love triangle(really Scott,REALLY?)

description

The only person I liked in this book was thankfully Tally.That's the only reason I'm giving this book 2 stars.She's really great.Everyone else...not so much.Shay is a freaking idiot and so is Peris.Zane seems like a decent guy,but I
Valerie
I liked this book better than the first. Maybe it’s because I'm more open to sci-fi or maybe it’s because it was just better. *shrug* Either way I liked it better. And I'm not a big sci-fi reader but I think the world Westerfeld creates is unique and things are explained well without it feeling like an overload of information. I didn't much like how the rusties (being us) are considered stupid but then again in the 1900s people took tape worm pills to lose weight, we know better now.

Anyways, get
Rai
Scott Westerfield has a tallent that I enjoy as equally as it annoys me- he can change my mind like a remote control! At the end of the first book in this series, Uglies, I thought that it was the end of the world and that the next book couldn't possibly go the way I wanted it to go! But as I read Pretties, I found that what I had so stubbornly wanted while reading the first book dissolved and I suddenly wanted something else. At the end of this book the feeling of "Oh no! It's the end of the wo ...more
rebecca ɤ
*Sing to the tune of Blank Space*

"Reading this book felt like torture. Don't say I didn't say I didn't warn ya."

Angst. The angst is everywhere. I tried with this book, I really did but the plot just got even more muddled after the Uglies. I could not stop myself from rolling my eyes and suppressing the urge to fling this book across the room every 5 minutes.

Let's take a moment to look at this synopsis:

Tally Youngblood is popular and Prettyville boyfriend Zane leads the Crims gang. But Croy
Violet
Amelia
I am beyond dissapointed with this sequel. Uglies was intriguing, making it's society around our world's obsession with apperance. This book was just 350 pages of dull "action". I didn't even read most of the book: I just skimmed it so I could move onto Specials.
Where did the strong Tally that had developed so well go?

She turned into a brainless idiot, never to be seen for the majority of the book.
And, worst of all, she's attached to her new boyfriend like glue.
Yes, her new boyfriend.
THUS, Wes
will
Congratulations Mr. Westerfeld, you managed to impress me, amaze me, and convince me to read the third book.

When I finished "Uglies" (the first book in the series), I was really impressed and looking forward to reading "Pretties". 20% into the book, I was starting to feel depressed. What I had hoped for wasn't happening. There was no strong female protagonist, there was nothing new. Well, nothing new except for a new relationship with another boy. Aaaargh! I was worried that I was going to end
Rachelle
Kate
the only copy the library had of this was on CD...the lady has a REALLY annoying voice, so I am going to have to put this on hold and wait until I can get a copy to read myself.

At first, I thought this would be a 3-star book because the beginning was just more of the same from the first book. It was still enjoyable, but it was kind of "been there, done that." The second half of the book, however, picked up and became more of its own story. I found the idea of the anthropology study very interest
Nathan
Pretties is interesting. Just interesting. I like the midnighters series, and scott westerfield writes well, if not a little to actiony. Now, pretties, a book about a post apocalyptic world. The similarity to other post apocalyptic worlds ends their. He just needs to set it like that so the story works. His ideas are new. His ideas are well worked out. The plot however, takes a deep dive. The plot, to put it blandly, stinks. The plot, while it has it's twist and turns, does not feel unexpected. ...more
Julia
Book TWO!

Yes. Tally is now a Pretty. She is popular and completely adopting to the superficial hype of the pretties. But, she's met a new friend, Zane (who you will LOVE). What becomes amazing is that Zane isn't like the other pretties; in fact, he has a secret. He is a Crim, but he is a Crim who has actually managed to evade the superficial vibe that takes over in New Pretty Time and find ways to stay bubbly all the time, and as such, stay much more alert and like himself. Once he manages to br
Olive (Оља)
Don't judge me, but the first time I have read Uglies, David was a character I didn't like at all, but I ended up having my mind completely changed about him. I honestly wanted more of him and Tally and I expected them to at least share a kiss (for the sake of my little fangirl soul).
On the other hand, Zane was someone I didn't enjoy reading about as much as I thought I would, and his and Tally's relationship was really boring for me in some parts.
Even though it was a good and fast read I more o
Airiz C
A trilogy or a book series where the sequels turn out better than the first installment is a rather rare treat for readers; almost always, the first book is the best. After reading the second book of the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld, I believe that this trilogy-plus-one is going to be classified in that category. :)

Pretties picks up where Uglies left off—Tally Youngblood has finally become a new Pretty and has joined her other friends in the city to live a not-so-bubbly life. The most impor
Celeste
Elisa
Post 2013 re-read:
I enjoyed this much more than Uglies. That Zane sure is a dreamboat.

Original review:
I see that a lot of people are of the opinion that this series went more and more downhill with each book The biggest complaints- annoying language and a preachy environmentalist attitude, which I can totally see. I think how you read a book depends a lot on WHEN you read a book, and I guess that's where my perfect score comes in. It was an emotional decision, probably more than anything else.
Joyzi
Oct 25, 2010 Joyzi rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Peeps who can stand horrible dialogues
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
My 2nd review:
(2 stars)
Why? O Why? The last chapters of the book kind of redeemed it a little bit. I love Zane, I'm Team Zane all the way.
(My first review below...)

My 1st review:
(1 star)
Gosh, I can't believe that I'm giving up on this book (did not finish it, I came until the 2/3 of the book). It's just like IMO the most annoying book I've ever read in my entire life, the dialogues are just crappy and the Pretties are like the dumbest, air-headed characters.

The conversations was just this annoyi
FlibBityFLooB
I am still not sure what I think of this series. Part of me likes the dystopian storyline – some sections even remind me of Hunger Games (another YA series that I adore). Unfortunately, I also feel like something is missing from the series. While in the middle of this book, I wasn’t sure if I was going to continue to the next book. By the end, however, I decided I don’t think I’m ready to completely give up on the series yet. I will read book 3.
Colleen Houck
I am really enjoying this series. Love the Pretty slang. Someone asked me if I was a David or Zane fan. I'm not sure at this point. I'd say I'm leaning towards David but I just started Specials and right now I'm freaked out about Tally. I love the hoverboards. Don't think I could ever ride one. I'm just saying they're cool. Why hasn't this series become a movie yet?
Shay vs Tally 9 57 May 14, 2015 12:52PM
David or Zane?? 152 517 Mar 26, 2015 08:25AM
YA Apocalyptic an...: February Series Read: Pretties by Scott Westerfeld 5 12 Feb 06, 2015 07:18AM
Team David or Zane? 44 196 Jan 05, 2015 03:26AM
The Nooks of Books: Pretties 1 2 Nov 17, 2014 10:00AM
The YA Dystopian ...: Pretties (Uglies #2) 6 26 Sep 24, 2014 08:13PM
  • Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
  • The Bar Code Rebellion (Bar Code, #2)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • Hunger (Gone, #2)
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • Because It Is My Blood (Birthright, #2)
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • The Diamond of Darkhold (Book of Ember, #4)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • The Resistance (The Declaration, #2)
  • The Diary of Pelly D
  • Spark (Sky Chasers, #2)
  • Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride, #3)
  • Among the Brave (Shadow Children, #5)
  • The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2)
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best know for the Uglies and Leviathan series, and his next book, Afterworlds, comes out September 23, 2014.

His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation f
More about Scott Westerfeld...

Uglies (4 books)
  • Uglies (Uglies, #1)
  • Specials (Uglies, #3)
  • Extras (Uglies, #4)
Uglies (Uglies, #1) Specials (Uglies, #3) Extras (Uglies, #4) Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)

27 trivia questions
8 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“What happens when perfection isn't good enough?” 293 likes
“Everyone in the world was programmed by the place they were born, hemmed in by their beliefs, but you had to at least try to grow your own brain.” 261 likes