Start by marking “Officer-cadet” as Want to Read:
Officer-cadet

Officer-cadet (Dirigent Mercenary Corps #1)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  236 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
National bestselling author Rick Shelley has thrilled a legion of fans with his tales of future warfare among the stars.In Shelley's newest novel, Lon Nolan, a young soldier expelled from Earth's prestigious North American Military Academy on trumped-up charges, is seeking to prove his worthiness in the Dirigent Mercenary Corps, where the bloody craft of battle had been re ...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Ace (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Officer-cadet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Officer-cadet

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Military Science Fiction
302nd out of 583 books — 889 voters
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadMarked by P.C. CastMoon Called by Patricia BriggsEvermore by Alyson NoelBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Books That Should Become TV Series
85th out of 128 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Roberta
Dec 08, 2007 Roberta rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: men who are desperate for space opera but don't like good writing
Shelves: sciencefiction
This book proves that it is possible to write a barely decent novel with cookie cutter characters, but an adequate plot and get published. This series proves that there is a male equivalent to fluffy chick lit. If you like that sort of thing then read the Dirigent Mercenary Corps series.

Still the series is a quick read, and while I occasionally like fluffy paranormal romance, this series is the first to fit my fluffy space opera fix (good space opera isn't fluffy in case you're curious). But if
Arwen
Sep 28, 2015 Arwen rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I was browsing through the shelves of a local charity shop when 'Officer Cadet' caught my eye. The premise is of a young trainee officer in a Mercenary Corps sent out on his first campaign and having to learn a lot about battle and about leadership. I thought I'd give it a go.

It's never going to be a classic, but its enjoyable enough and doesn't take itself too seriously. The best way for me to describe 'Officer Cadet' is as 'Sharpe' set in the future. The following books - with titles such as '
Crystal Starr Light
In this time of my life, two things come to my mind: space and military. Hence, why I was attracted to this book.
Lon Nolan started his military career on Earth. But he left Earth's military for the Dirigent Mercenary Corps when the Earth military was converting to a glorified police force. In order to become a lieutenant, Lon must withstand his first battle...which could either leave him with lifetime experiences or an early grave.

What I Liked:
I wanted a book with military action and that is exa
Jacob
Nov 16, 2015 Jacob rated it liked it
Not a bad book as Military SciFi books go but not an incredible book. You end up liking the protagonist but you feel as if the author was just going through the motions of telling a story. It lacks any form of social commentary. If it had that I think it would be a better story. Maybe the rest of the series has that.
***Dave Hill
Nov 10, 2011 ***Dave Hill rated it did not like it
(Original review, Sep 2005)

A young cadet on his first tour faces a not-very-mysteriously-motivated civil conflict. Slogging ensues. Unlike most military SF, this tale has neither moral quandaries, exciting tech, bloody melodrama, nor philosophical musings. Or, for that matter, interesting characters, compelling plotting, or much reason to finish it, let alone pick up the succeeding editions of the Dirigent Mercenary Corps series. Not bad, just numbingly pedestrian and routine in both tone and st
Sean Randall
Apr 20, 2009 Sean Randall rated it liked it
I must confess to never having read about mercenaries in anything other than a holy negative light before now, but this one changes that around entirely. They are, if not the good guys, just doing their jobs, and doing them professionally and fulfilling their contracts. Grist for the mill, maybe - not exactly a five-star sci-fi wonder, but enjoyable enough to at least keep the remaining titles on the shelf for a rainy day.
Bucky
Jul 17, 2012 Bucky rated it it was amazing
First in a series which folows the young mercenary in the future in his career as an officer.
Unlike a lot of sci fi military books, this one doesn't depend on a lot of high tech weaponry. Battle is about on the same level with Viet Nam era based on my readings as I have no military background. Enjoyable. I will complete the series over time.

colleen
Feb 09, 2016
Vasa68
Vasa68 added it
Jan 21, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Nka300
Nka300 marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Torsten Becker
Torsten Becker rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Will Sawtelle
Will Sawtelle marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Wolfgarr
Wolfgarr rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Chris Roper
Chris Roper marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Mdc708
Mdc708 rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Benjamin J. Wojdak
Benjamin J. Wojdak rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Thefirstidiot
Thefirstidiot rated it did not like it
Nov 28, 2015
Samantha Kelly
Samantha Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2015
Ronnie
Ronnie added it
Nov 16, 2015
  • Firemask (The Last Legion, #2)
  • School of Fire (Starfist, #2)
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • Bloodstar (Star Corpsman, #1)
  • Blood River (Amtrak Wars, #4)
  • On Silver Wings (Hayden War Cycle, #1)
  • What Distant Deeps (Lt. Leary, #8)
  • Admiral Who? (Spineward Sectors, #1)
  • The Spoils of War (The Damned, #3)

Dirigent Mercenary Corps (6 books)
  • Lieutenant