Start by marking “Good Night, Good Knight” as Want to Read:
Good Night, Good Knight

Good Night, Good Knight (Good Knight)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  50 reviews
The Good Knight is on his watch when he hears a sound. Roar! Is it a dragon? A great big dragon? He searches the woods and finds a surprise. Three very little dragons are almost ready for bed. But who will read to them, tuck them in, and kiss them good night? Is this a job for the Good Knight? Young readers, like the young dragons, will quickly fall under the Good Knight's ...more
Published October 14th 2002 by Penguin Young Readers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Good Night, Good Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Night, Good Knight

How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida CowellThere's No Such Thing as a Dragon by Jack KentKomodo! by Peter SísThe Reluctant Dragon by Kenneth GrahameThe Tale of Custard the Dragon by Ogden Nash
Best Children's Books with Dragons
47th out of 62 books — 18 voters
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownSleep Like a Tiger by Mary LogueTime for Bed by Mem FoxGood Night, Gorilla by Peggy RathmannBedtime for Frances by Russell Hoban
Picture Books About Bed Time
42nd out of 67 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Leslie
Checked out a bunch of these Good Knight books from our library for my reluctant 6 year old reader to read. He loves knights and quests and all that and I thought these would be fun to read. They are supposed to be beginner readers but one quick glances assured me that like most so-called beginner readers, this is not. It's more appropriate for your average 2nd grader. Of course a gifted young enthuisastic reader can read this unaided, but a reluctant child having difficulties couldn't read this ...more
AnnaBnana
I wasn't totally enamored with this book, but I thought it was pretty cute. It would be fun for read aloud, as well as appropriate for early-independent reading. I really liked the text repetition, which could make reading aloud interesting as the knight gets more and more exasperated, but would also be good for confidence building in an early reader. Plus, the story is pretty cute and I can see a kid thinking it's totally funny.
Jeffrey
About a knight who has the night watch and discovers more than he expected when he hears a roar from the forest. Fun, silly, entertaining. Full of repeated phrases which make it accessible to beginning readers but silly enough to keep adults entertained too. Plus the subject matter will be the source of some amusement to parents.
Chrissy Muller
This is absolutely a bedtime story. For this reason, I'm not sure that I would keep it in my classroom library, I don't think that my students would really enjoy reading about little dragons falling asleep. Possibly if I end up teaching a very young grade (kindergarten or preschool) I could read this book to my kids before nap time! I like that this story is about a Knight helping out little dragons. This sort of goes against the norm of how fairytale stories typically play out with this list of ...more
We're wrapping up a dinosaur unit with first grade and the final library media lesson compares dragons and dinosaurs. I chose a few fun and quick books featuring dragons, including Good Night, Good Knight. As soon as I held it up, five students lit up and exclaimed that they LOVE this book.

Even though it's an easy reader book, it still makes a great, though long and somewhat repetitive, read aloud. We loved the sound effects and I enjoyed giving the dragons and knight voices.

I don't think that
Garren
A "go to bed" book for little dragons and the exasperated knight who has to keep checking on them before he can get some rest. Almost overly cute, but in a good way.
Kaethe
cute, good bedtime rhythm, the knight is a much, much, much better man than I am. Go to bed already!

2009 February 09
Taylor Watson
Clippity-clop. Fun little book for my now 1st grader to read! Teaches the silent K!
Mckinley
Putting young dragons to bed is a lot like putting young children to bed.
Samantha Weatherford
I loved this series of books! This particular book is about the routine of going to bed. It is great for sequencing and has alot of repititous phrases that help the young reader through the text. The illustrations are very animated and kid friendly, with each little dragon having little wings. it tells the tale of the three little dragon, and each book the Good Knight who is their good friend, helps them solve a little problem. This book has alot of text, so it would be a good read aloud for you ...more
Felicia
This was on a reading list for kids that I am reading - great book.
Jenne
this book is not just about bedtime but offers an example of a male lead character learning nurturing skills. in this way, this book is an excellent child friendly introduction to solving sleep problems. parents could use this to teach parenting skills to their children, in preparation for being future parents, as well as the jumping off point for a discussion of efficient sleep routines at home and night time. this is an excellent conversation book lending itself more for daytime reading rather ...more
Katherine Brown
I think that this is a great book for beginning readers. The sentences are tend to be repetitive and will assist students with recognition of sight words. I enjoy how the characters in this book do not play the role that we typically see in these types of books. I would recommend this to my students to keep in their won book basket, so they can read it during independent read, or at home.
Dolly
Jan 02, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun little tale that is perfect to read at bedtime. The narrative is simple, repetitive and still short enough to hold the attention of a preschooler and the illustrations are very cute. It's not an easy-reader per se, but easy enough for 1st or 2nd graders to read alone. Our oldest read this book to our youngest tonight at bedtime and I just had to read through it myself afterward.
Christy Whitaker
The Good Knight is patient and kind to the three little dragons that only want attention. The repetition in the text makes predicting easy. I like the author's use of rhymes and homophones. I could use this text in class when teaching these various writing techniques. I would certainly introduce this book to ELLs because the repetition helps with their acquisition of the English language.
Brenda Wharton
Cute bedtime story about a good knight who keeps getting called to a cave in the woods to help put the baby dragons to bed, get them water, sing them songs and give them hugs
Jennifer Mitchell
There are so many things I love about this book and series about a Good Knight and three little dragons.
The rhymes (crumbly, tumbly tower), the alliteration (deep, dark caves), the repetition ("He got off his horse. thud.") and, most of all, the story itself of three little dragons and the good Knight who helps them to have a good night.
Julia
Three little dragons agree to take care of the wizard's cats while he is on vacation but they can't read so they don't know how to follow his instructions. A comedy of errors ensues where they do a bunch of things the cats really don't like until the Good Knight helps them figure things out and then begins teaching them to read.
Kristina
The kids loved this one and I thought it was fun to read. After listening to it a few times my 1st grader wanted to try it on his own. This is his first attempt at reading a longer book himself and it seems like a great book for it. It took him a while but he got all the way through it in one sitting :)
Elizabeth S
3 1/2 stars. This is a rather fun beginner book. You can talk about "night" and "knight", or just enjoy the cute story. It has some good repetition, but not annoying repetition. My preschooler and I had fun guessing what would happen next. Sometimes we were right, and sometimes it was a fun surprise!
Paige
I loved the illustrations. There were so many colors that would be very appealing to younger children. I really liked the way the picture's borders fade and how there is writing around it. The story is exciting. Definitely a good book for younger children who have big imaginations and like adventure stories.
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
My children loved it at about 2 years of age. The illustrations are unique and very beautiful. The story is funny and gentle. One can say it is a new spin on the relationship between knights and dragons. Highly recommend as one of our family favorites.
Rebecca
This book is so funny, and relatable to us adults who have three little dragons of our own that we try to get to bed. My 7 year old son thought that the first dragon might pee his bed if he didn't stop asking for drinks of water from the good knight.
Amy Carr
I am completely and utterly charmed by this series of books about a chivalrous knight and his care and concern for 3 little dragons. The books are fantastic for new readers and a great read a-loud for kids of any age. Charming story...
Kim
A brave and goodhearted knight. Baby dragons asking for a drink of water, a story, and a song. Great repetition to aid in that whole learning-to-read thing. And dragon pajamas. With cars on them. What's not to love?!
Heather
This is a sweet little story with nice pictures. It teaches patience and caring for others.

And it's a good early reader. And has dragons and knights and is kinda silly so boys will want to read it.
Christi
I really liked this -- great for repetition and simple words, also homonyms.

The story was adorable, and funny with its mash-up of fantasy and children needing one thing after another to go to sleep.
Peg
This is one of my kids' favorite bedtime stories. It was read night after night. I think I loved it as much as my kids did. The story flows so well and the illustrations are a perfect compliment.
Kristy
I really enjoyed reading this book to my kids. It is a fun story with very fun play on words. Plus, I love the illustrations, they make you want to step into the book and be a part of their world!
  • One Drowsy Dragon
  • The Library Dragon
  • When a Dragon Moves In
  • Oscar and the Very Hungry Dragon
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • The Dragons Are Singing Tonight
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!
  • Biscuit Takes a Walk
  • Commander Toad in Space (Commander Toad)
  • Argus
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • My New Friend Is So Fun! (Elephant & Piggie, #21)
  • Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed

• Happy Birthday, Good Knight
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • A Cold Winter's Good Knight
  • A Good Knight's Rest
The Seven Tales of Trinket Take Care, Good Knight Get Well, Good Knight Happy Birthday, Good Knight A Cold Winter's Good Knight