Start by marking “Catwoman: Selina's Big Score” as Want to Read:
Catwoman: Selina's Big Score

Catwoman: Selina's Big Score (Catwoman III 0)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  775 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A mob train full of unmarked cash.
A crew of professional thieves to take it down.
Selina Kyle figured it was the perfect crime.
But Selina was wrong.
Dead wrong.
Published July 31st 2002 by DC Comics (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Catwoman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catwoman

Sam Quixote
Selina Kyle/Catwoman is living the high life abroad until a failed robbery leaves her tapped out - she needs money and that means going back to Gotham City. She just needs one big score to get her liquid again but that means hitting up the Falcone crime family for $24 million. Mee-yow - for that kinda cash, someone’s gonna get hurt, and not everyone’s lucky enough to have nine lives!

Selina’s Big Score is like a warm-up for Darwyn Cooke’s later Parker adaptations for IDW. Sure, Selina gets in cos
Mike
I think I've about had my fill of "noir comics" - maybe just Darwyn Cooke's writing. Reading about casual sexism isn't enjoyable to me at this point. Don't get me confused with humourless SJWs - I love me some tasteless/non-PC humour (just check out the ridiculous conversations we have on our podcast Sara and Mike On Comics).

What this feels like is either (a) slavish devotion to a lazily egocentric genre or (b) lazy misogyny that can't graduate to adulthood.

"But, but...it's NOIR, man! Noo-whar!"
Martin
Jul 06, 2014 Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, reviewed
This is one I keep going back to. I've actually lost count how many times I've read this book. It's that good.

Bridging the gap between the alleged death of Selina Kyle and Catwoman's new (at the time, anyway) ongoing series (written by Brubaker, see Catwoman Vol. 1: Trail of the Catwoman and Catwoman Vol. 2: No Easy Way Down), "Selina's Big Score" is a heist story worthy of Hollywood. In the fun department, it's right up there with the "Ocean's Eleven" remake with George Clooney.

Selina, Stark,
Gianni_04
Apr 02, 2015 Gianni_04 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this one! I really loved what Darwyn Cooke has done with the character. I like that it's more of a Selina Kyle story rather than a Catwoman story.
Selina was presumed to be dead after the events of the main comic book. Now she's broke and tries to pull one of the biggest heists of her career, with the help of some interesting characters, and start a new life.
I'm also obsessed with the artwork. It has this noir-esque feeling to it which I absolutely love.
Wing Kee
Jul 21, 2015 Wing Kee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is why I love Catwoman books, this book is a distilled, concentrated shot of what makes Selina such a fun character to read.

The current New52 Catwoman has been so bad for so long that my palate needed some cleansing from the shit that is New52 Selina Kyle. That's why I decided to go back to the Catwoman I grew up with so that I can love this character again. Thank the comic gods for Darwyn Cooke (and Ed Brubaker in the main series):

World: This is post No Man's Land and post Selina killed by
Rachael
Mar 09, 2015 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I love all of the comic superheroines, but I love the bad ones the most. Oddly enough I never read Catwoman's comics just the TV and movie versions of the character. This was a great introduction to the comic version of her though.

Aside from being Catwoman and DC, this was just a really solid piece of hard boiled fiction, which I quite like. I like Darwyn Cooke's style. I also liked what he did with the Parker books. Although this book is from 2002 it holds up.

Must read for anyon
Jack Gattanella
Dec 26, 2014 Jack Gattanella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny-books
Though I may need to re-read the actual heist chapter - some of the action, just the way a few panels are drawn - is confusing, this doesn't take away from what is a super-successful offering from the always dependable Darwyn Cooke. Though there isn't necessarily a lot of cursing or whatnot, I don't know if this would be a great title for little kids. This is, if anything, a primer for Cooke's masterworks of the Parker series: hard-boiled noir, in this case with a heist element as many of those ...more
Matt
Oct 15, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Attention, Warner Brothers! Still scratching your heads, trying to figure out what went wrong with the Catwoman movie? Well, I hope not, because it's pretty self-evident (i.e., it was just plain stupid). However, are you wondering how you might be able to start up a Catwoman franchise? Look no further than this book. This is just about the most perfect, self-contained Catwoman story I've ever read. Better yet, for those who prefer Catwoman as more of a rogue than a hero, this will be a welcome r ...more
Pranay
Jun 16, 2012 Pranay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in two minds about the ratings, to give a 5 or a 4. The 5 rating, I have reserved for some really kick-arse ones (Batman Year One, Hush)...however after much deliberation have eventually given it a 4.

The plot is fast paced and keeps you hooked. The illustration is classic Darwyn Cooke style: neat, crisp and a slight cartoonish feel to it. The book was released way back in 2002; it takes the story of catwoman forward and at the same time delves into her past before the Dark knight happened
Matthew Brady
I had heard this Darwyn Cooke graphic novel was pretty good, but it ended up being kind of disappointing. It was early in his career, so the writing is pretty rough, ripping off characters from Richard Stark and putting the main character in thrall to a bunch of men without much agency of her own. It looks pretty nice, but the story is nothing to write home about. Not really recommended, unless you're a Cooke completist or something.
Dirk
Sep 11, 2011 Dirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darwyn Cooke's mysteriously underrated graphic heist tale might just be the perfect expression of his artistic obsessions. Though not quite as outstanding as his second Parker book, Selina's Big Score is everything that makes Cooke so uniquely suited to tell standout Catwoman (though more Selina Kyle here) stories. He's so conversant in the style and language of the mid fifties to early sixties pulp crime world of authors like Mickey Spillane and (of course) Donald Westlake that rather than posi ...more
Sarah Toth
Sep 18, 2015 Sarah Toth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome read from Darwyn Cooke. While this was more of a Selina Kyle story than a Catwoman story, it gives us more insight into her backstory and where she got her start as a thief. We get to see who trained her to be the best cat burglar in the world and her relationships before meeting Batman. This was definitely a book that I didn't want to put down, since there was just so much to learn about Selina's life before becoming Catwoman. She worked hard to establish her status as a mas ...more
Erin
Jun 03, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this comic. It's not the art style I usually lean towards but the story is so well done I got lost in it. Plays out like an action-heist movie so well they could put it to screen, and honestly should. If you love Catwoman or just a great story, read it!
Gemma
Feb 13, 2014 Gemma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El Gran Golpe es mi primer contacto con Catwoman en solitario. Nunca había leído un cómic en el que ella fuera la protagonista y la verdad es que me ha gustado muchísimo. Tiene toques de cine policiaco y algo de cine negro, con ese robo y con mi representación favorita de Selina Kyle, la de ladrona.
Courtney Cantrell
Dec 24, 2015 Courtney Cantrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast-paced read. This is my first Catwoman comic, so I enjoyed getting to know her outside of movies. But I was a little disappointed that she spent most of the story as Selina, and I didn't get to see much of Catwoman.
Victor Orozco
Hmm. Basically after a decade ago of having a comic book series of her own, Catwoman has revamped her comic-book, with a new costume and a new style.

This story is the beginning of a new collection which started around 2002 in which Catwoman comes back after being supposedly dead and being chased by a private detective. The first part is essentially a heist but with a sort of noir style leading to Selina giving up her hiding.

Noir stories can be a bit dry for my taste and this story was no differe
victoria.p
Oct 01, 2011 victoria.p rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The people who recommended this to me clearly know what I like because this was right up in my wheelhouse. Selina, presumed dead, is looking to make a big score so she can restart her life, and she teams up with an old lover whom she'd double-crossed, as well as a hooker named Chantel and a couple of other characters to steal a trainload of money from the mob. Needless to say, things don't go according to plan. Really well done. I didn't love the art, but it does have a nice kinetic quality to i ...more
Althea J.
Althea J. rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Fardeen
Apr 27, 2014 Fardeen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ideal Movie Script
Jeff
Jun 15, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good. Reminded me of an indie movie thriller.
Meghan Wilson
Feb 10, 2009 Meghan Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
ok..no wonder the comic book store guy recommended this to me. I had really missed Darwyn Cookes art ever since the first catwoman trade (even though like I said, the new artist does an honorable job keeping the same feeling) And here is a prequel type of story all by darwyn cooke. Great characters, great story, great art. I especially like the character of stark, that typical bad guy that of course Selina has a thing for...us women can relate.
Sean
Feb 25, 2013 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Selina's Big Score is Darwyn Cooke doing what Darwyn Cooke does: be brilliant. The only combo writer/artist who can pull off noir books in a superhero world. Now this isn't his best work but its really good. The art is all little rougher than his current work but it was still phenomenal. Seeing the various aspects of a job being planned and executed plus things from Selina's past made this book a treat. Don't miss this!
Gregory
Aug 30, 2012 Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a very good crime noir style graphic novel. As usual, I love Cooke's artwork which works very well in the Catwoman universe but his story is pretty tight and gives some nice background to Selina Kyle's life. Slam Bradley makes an appearance which is always a plus. And beyond all of that, the book finishes with 8 posters of Catwoman by different artists.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 23, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
Cooke offers up what was probably a very daring take on Catwoman at the time: it's fully noir with just the slightest mention of Catwoman existing in a super-universe. The result is entirely enjoyable, with a great cast of characters, and terrific artwork (also by Cooke). However, Cooke really *nails* the ending, which is superb.
Cindy
Nov 10, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Cooke story and much better suited to his artistic style than Watchman. It relied heavily on some stereotypes such as the trick with a heart of gold, but it was engaging, intelligent, and an excellent retelling of Catwoman. I look forward to reading more of Cooke's work, and I hope he did a follow-up.
Mark Adams
Apr 05, 2012 Mark Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: batman
A great heist story featuring Selina Kyle (not in her Catwoman outfit). If you like Darwyn Cooke's cool 1960s Lee Marvin-esque crime film style this is for you.
Brent
Mar 19, 2016 Brent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of these fine creators, great storytelling, and great comics
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creatores and teh Book Nook
This fine graphic novella is also in print/ included in the anthology Batman: Ego and other tales.
Recommended.
Gilda
Feb 29, 2012 Gilda rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fiction, thieves
I love seeing Selina being a thief and not Batman's "girlfriend". Very good story.
Lindsey
It was okay. However I really liked the way he drew her eyes. They sure were purdy.
Jessi
Nov 23, 2007 Jessi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darwyn Cooke draws my favorite catwoman. i've always liked his writing best too.
  • Catwoman, Vol. 1: The Dark End of the Street
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 4: The Quick and the Dead
  • Catwoman, Vol. 6: It's Only a Movie
  • Catwoman: When in Rome
  • Catwoman: Nine Lives of a Feline Fatale
  • Batman: Nine Lives
  • Batgirl: Year One
  • Manhunter, Vol. 4: Unleashed
Darwyn Cooke was an Eisner Award winning comic book writer, artist, cartoonist and animator, best known for his work on the comic books Catwoman, DC: The New Frontier and Will Eisner's The Spirit.

In 1985, Cooke published his first comic book work as a professional artist in a short story in New Talent Showcase #19, but economic pressure made him leave the career and he worked in Canada as a magazi
More about Darwyn Cooke...

Catwoman III (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Catwoman, Vol. 1: The Dark End of the Street