Wizard

Wizard

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  21 reviews

Intellectual Sophia Bennett knew what kind of man she wanted: a rugged cowboy. And in Texas they were everywhere! So why couldn’t she take her eyes off brilliant professor Max Travers? He was a Wizard in mathematics who surely made love by the numbers. Yet every inch of him — no Stetson, no dusty boots — added up to dangerously sexy.

Published May 1st 1985 by Silhouette

To ask other readers questions about Wizard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard

Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Renee Raudman - Narration 5*s

Wizard starts out light and humorous. Sophia Athena Bennett is out on a duty date with professor Maximillian Travers because he is a friend of her parents (all of them being genius mathematicians). Sophia makes it clear to Max that she is only interested in cowboys not wizards/geniuses, no matter what her parents want for her.

Renee Raudman is perfect in bringing out all the best in this story – the humor, the bantering, attitudes, and emotions. Too perfec...more
Evelyn Bryant
Weak,dated and unintentionally funny book about a woman too stupid to live. Glad she was in a book. I realize this was written in the 80's and while this was the audio version, I remember reading this way back. Characters lacking. Plot lacking. Story lacking.
Give it a skip. Its sad when the sex scenes are funny. Everytime the characters start to have sex he begins talking about rainbows(?) and she talks about wizards. Sad. And if thats not enough, the narrator (Renee Raudman)of this audio versi...more
D.G.
Feb 18, 2013 D.G. marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
DNF

I thought this might be a fun read, given the similarities of this couple to my personal situation (my husband is a college professor and he's so smart, he can do square roots in his head up to 4-5 decimal points...yes for real.) But this heroine is a snob! She spent all of her first date talking about herself as an 'underachiever' and how she'd never marry a man like him. (If I'd been him, I'd have told her "I don't remember asking you.")

And if her parents were really smart people, they woul...more
Sharon
This was not a book I would ever recommend. I listened to it on play-a-way while I walked on the treadmill. Convenience is the only reason I finished it. I realize the book was published in the 80's, but I got so sick of the constant man bashing and hatred of intellectuals! The main character, Sophie, was raised by two academic intellectuals, and because she was not a prodigy herself, Sophie grew to hate anyone who excelled in academics. At least that is how I have to describe her. I grew tired...more
EeeJay
He deceived her and went behind her back to discuss a situation she had brought to his attention with her supervisors and she wasn't ANGRY? What is she? Superwoman??
Maria
This Jayne Ann Krentz was published in 1985 and contains the characterization and dialogue I would expect of her writing at that point in her career. The plot was a bit weaker in that there are issues that border on the unethical but overall it is an enjoyable re-read. I particularly liked that the male protagonist is an academician who is unused to dealing with emotions rather than logic. His reactions to being around Sophy, a businesswoman and designer, totally unlike anyone he has been accust...more
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Ashley Aldon - Narration 1*

What ruined this book was the nauseating over emphasis put on every single word from the narrators mouth. Plus Ashley Aldon got the whole tone of the book wrong! I've read the book many times and the heroine was not a smart mouthed *itch and the hero was not a quiet nerd! But that is what we get with this narration. Instead of the two very confident people finding common ground which is what Stephanie James / Jayne Ann Krentz wrote. An average but enjoyable...more
Farah
Sophia and Max made a very interesting couple but Sophia got on my nerves most of the time , she was too judgmental and wouldn't see what's right in-front of her. Max was a very interesting character , he had his funny and charming moments but I didn't like the way he reacted when Sophia told him about her friend's possible plans , he had no right to deliver that story to her supervisors and I didn't like the way she reacted to what he did or should I say her lack of reaction. The dialogue was...more
Cheryl Mclaws
I didn't know, at first, that this book was from the 80s. The descriptions of the characters' wardrobes and home decor soon gave it away though and it made me laugh. The office/corporate politics from 30+ years ago was interesting to read. However, I did NOT like the hero. Twice he threatened the heroine with physical violence and I immediately disliked him because of it. He lost all my respect and she did too for allowing that go and not calling him on it. "If you do that again I'll beat you."...more
Shawna Hansen
When I downloaded this audiobook onto my iphone, it went into the music section rather than the overdrive application and I couldn't figure out how to adjust the speed. The narrator's voice was extremely fast and quite annoying. I liked the usual humor and tension between the characters, but this book felt a little dated. Even the nerdy math wizard became a "he man" to win over the oddly defiant "feminine" heroine (more like hit her over the head with a stick and drag her back to the cave). I ha...more
Alley Cat
DNF.
The narrator (Ashley Aldon) is absolutely TERRIBLE!
I'd like to think that I might have actually attempted to like the book, but the narration just accentuated the faults. The heroine came out as a total *itch, the hero as a timid mouse, and the plot out-right boring and ludicrous.
Maybe when I forget how bad this narrator is, I'll try reading the booking instead of listening to the audio version.
Mindy
From Sophia's defensive cynicism to Max's somehow audacous insecurity, I really just couldn't get into this book. From the beginning I felt like they were a mismatch and I hated how Max ordered Sophia around and I hated how she was so sure she understood him and made really bad assumptions and decisions based on that flawed understanding. The book wasn't one of Krentz's best.
Caroline
This felt very 80's and fairly old fashioned with it' s complaint of women being treated as secretaries and not being valued. However the heroine definitely had a chip on her shoulder about intellectual men; whether she learnt that they were just the same as other men such as cowboys I'm not too sure. It was an ok book but nothing special.
Jenny Schwartz
This was the second book in the Jayne Ann Krentz collection and I loved the intro to the hero in the first chapter. It's written from the hero's point of view and he's a math prof meeting the heroine and lusting after her (in a gentlemanly fashion). All of which makes the opening line a treat, "She preferred cowboys."
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Eh. I read this one because I like Jayne Ann Krentz. This was well before book clubs reading smutty romances and book clubs through an on line social media. I didn't know where to turn to find the next book. So I went through every book an author wrote. This one, I could have done without.
Jennie
Worst book I've ever read by Krentz. The characters weren't even likable. The writing was redundant, stilted, and pedantic. Completely disappointing.
Jadzia
Not too bad, but not so good either. Ms. Krentz has some better books in this format, but she also has some worse. I like this geeky type of hero though.
Pat
Don't think I will bother with anymore of Stephanie James books....this one was a waste of time and trees. Characters and storyline all over the place.
Karilyn
as part of worth the risk
Verity
Mascli
Mascli added it
Aug 01, 2014
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Pam
Pam added it
Jul 09, 2014
  • Joy
  • The Fatal Fortune (Guinevere Jones, #4)
Jayne Ann Castle was born in Borrego Springs, California. Her mother, Alberta Castle, raised her with her two brothers, Stephen and James. In 1970, she obtained a B.A in History at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and later she obtained a Masters degree in Library Science from San Jose State University, where she met Frank Krentz, an engineer. After her graduation, they married and moved...more
More about Stephanie James...
Fabulous Beast Raven's Prey Gambler's Woman The Devil To Pay Nightwalker