Start by marking “The Wicked Wit Of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
The Wicked Wit Of Jane Austen

The Wicked Wit Of Jane Austen

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Jane Austen's novels are studies of universal human social traits, which focus principally on the antics of those seeking well-connected and well-appointed husbands and their efforts to elbow out their less 'suitable' rivals. This book is a collection of her sharpest, most profound and amusing observations, taken from her novels and her letters.
Published February 1st 2007 by Michael O'Mara Books (first published October 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked Wit Of Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked Wit Of Jane Austen

Amber Linde
A lovely collection of Austen's best quotes. I didn't know she was so funny in her letters to her sisters and other family members. A great read!
Kathy
Jun 22, 2015 Kathy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathy by: Gift from Mary Bea
It was no great thrill to read 158 pages full of quotations. But I read them all! My favorites:

1. I bought some Japan ink likewise, and next week shall begin my operations on my hat, on which you know my principal hopes of happiness depend. –Letter to Cassandra [Jane's sister], 27-8 October 1798

2. My black cap was openly admired by Mrs Lefroy, and secretly I imagine by everybody else in the room. -Letter to Cassandra, 24-6 December 1798

3. Money can only give happiness where there is nothing else
Leslie
What a treat! Laugh out loud funny. The bits from her letters are funny and left me wanting more. I gotta find a copy of her letters. I am so glad to learn that she was so fiesty and cranky.
Alice
Si l'on me demandait de parler de la plume de Jane Austen (comment ça j'en parle déjà tout le temps??), le premier trait que j'évoquerais serait sans aucun doute son humour. Et ça tombe bien, c'est exactement ce que ce livre met en avant. Ce n'est pas une austenerie à proprement parlé puisque ce n'est pas un roman, une suite, une réécriture ou tout ce que vous voudrez d'autre, mais bien un recueil de citations drôles ou pleines d'esprit tirées des livres ou des lettres de Jane Austen. Pour une ...more
Wayne
Feb 07, 2012 Wayne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Jane naturally!!!
Recommended to Wayne by: Jane herself

Concerning Miss Jane Austen

VULGAR IN TONE,
STERILE IN ARTISTIC INVENTION,
IMPRISIONED IN THE WRETCHED CONVENTIONS OF ENGLISH SOCIETY,

WITHOUT...GENIUS
...WIT
...OR KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORLD.

NEVER WAS A LIFE SO PINCHED AND NARROW

THE ONE PROBLEM IN THE MIND OF THE WRITER.......IS MARRIAGEBLENESS

Somehow it is refreshing to read Something Other,
even though one feels that Ralph Waldo Emmerson
is wide of the mark.
Charlotte Bronte had No Time for Miss Austen either.
So, was it Fashion that led th
Suzanne Hakeos
It was a very entertaining read. Love the quotes taken from letters, especially to her sister Cassandra. My only disappointment was it was not long enough.
Gwen Burrow
Reminded me of some of my favorite lines from the Austen novels I've already read and made me want to read the ones I haven't. Austen is sometimes quite brutal and biting in her wit, but remains so jolly (and laughs at herself as much as at anyone else) that we really can't take offense.
D
While many quotes will be familiar to readers of Austen's books, the real gems are found in Jane's letters to her sister, Cassandra. The fictional Elizabeth Bennet is no match for the wicked wit of the real Jane Austen. Case in point: "Only think of Mrs. Holder's being dead! Poor woman, she has done the only thing in the world she could possibly do to make one cease to abuse her."
Anna
My only disappointment with this book was that I wished it had more from her letters and juvenilia, and less from the published novels (with which I am already well acquainted).
Jodi Ralston
I did not expect to like it, but I did. It showcases Jane Austen's wit from her novels and letters. It's the kind of book better picked up now and then than read all the way through. Overall, interesting.
Emma
Worth reading for those gems of irony in her letters to her sister Cassandra.
Lizzie
The letters are the treasure of this book. I thought the lack of order and just bare bone presentation of Ms. Austen awkward and barren at times. However as a huge fan of Ms. Austen I adore anything of her wit and intelligence.
Candise
This is a great collection of Austen quotes arranged by subject. Many from her letters to Cassandra, which is a great addition since I have memorized most her famous quotes from the novels.
Pippa
This was given to me as a present. I found it very disappointing as most of the quotes don't work well out of context. Maybe I'm just a person who needs a lot of context?...
Amy
Wicked and razor sharp. Most examples came from letters, mostly to sister Cassandra. Not even Elizabeth Bennet or Emma Woodhouse could hold a candle compared to the original!
Katie
I have read this book before, a long time ago, and decided to dust it off and read it again. Still on my Austen addiction of 'ought-eight. :)
Rachel Kennedy
Cute compilation. Jane Austen is funny, and this brings together witty saying from her private correspondence as well as early and late works.
Kathleen Cobcroft
Basically just a quotes book, but it has some interesting bits from her personal letters as well as the novels (all organised by topic).
Soph
Brilliantly choosen and arranged quotes! It was nice to have them all in one place and fun to read through them. :)
Bookfan
Bookfan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Charles Corn
Charles Corn marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Sarah Blodgett
Sarah Blodgett marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Jessica Pike
Jessica Pike marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Emma Dargue
Emma Dargue marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Sooty
Sooty marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
  • A Portrait Of Jane Austen
  • A Dance with Jane Austen: How a Novelist and Her Characters Went to the Ball
  • The World of Jane Austen
  • A Memoir of Jane Austen and Other Family Recollections
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • Jane Austen: The World of Her Novels
  • London: The Autobiography
  • Henry Tilney's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #6)
  • A Harvest of Ripe Figs
  • The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill
  • Netherfield Park Revisited (The Pemberley Chronicles, #3)
  • So You Think You Know Jane Austen?
  • 101 Things You Didn't Know About Jane Austen: The Truth about the World's Most Intriguing Romantic Literary Heroine
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Why Jane Austen?
  • A Truth Universally Acknowledged: 33 Great Writers on Why We Read Jane Austen
  • Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
Jane Austen (16 December 1775 – 18 July 1817) was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fr
More about Jane Austen...
Pride and Prejudice Sense and Sensibility Emma Persuasion Mansfield Park