Start by marking “What to Do When You Become the Boss: How New Managers Become Successful Managers” as Want to Read:

Do you know all the "ins" and "outs" of managing?
Make a success of your career as a manager. This is your complete "How to" for managing your boss, your people, yourself. You will refer to this book again and again as you progress through your career.
You will discover how to:
- Become an effective leader, recognized throughout the organization
- Distribute your time appr
Published November 15th 2007 by Outskirts Press (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about What to Do When You Become the Boss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Do When You Become the Boss

Joe
Nov 25, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it
I thought this book was going to be awful, just full of generic rubbish that is either very obvious or would never quite work in real life.

This book very pleasantly surprised me.

Some of the advice on communication, time management, not checking e-mail first thing was advice I had heard before, but I feel it is all the more important once reaching a higher level of responsibility as it is even more important to focus on key tasks and not get distracted.

The matrix showing the different levels of a
Nathan
Sep 20, 2010 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Really enjoyed this: full of down-to-earth practical advice for the new manager. He divides the job into leadership, management, and operations. He talks about how to motivate other people, how to set performance standards, how to hire, how to fire, how to manage your boss, and more. None of it is theory only--he talks about what you want to achieve, and then shows the meetings and steps you'd take to achieve it. I'm going to keep referring back to this one until I have it under my skin.
Jeremiah Graves
Sep 11, 2015 Jeremiah Graves rated it liked it
Good not great. There was some stuff that was good to read and helpful, but for the most part it's just common knowledge stuff like "Hey...you just became the boss, don't be a dick. Nobody like's a dick."
David
Jun 17, 2014 David rated it liked it
Useful insights. I'm suspicious about some of these books and their sometimes pop psychology. However this book referenced authors I had already read through my post-grad studies, relating to organisational culture, behaviour and motivation of yourself and your employees/colleagues.
Jalena
Jalena rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Andrea Mc
Andrea Mc rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Anita Houldsworth
Anita Houldsworth rated it liked it
May 12, 2015
Gordon Freeman
Gordon Freeman rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it did not like it
May 21, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2008
Daniel
Daniel rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2013
aaron
aaron rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2010
Nina
Nina rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Christal Sohl
Some useful things here, especially on what motivates people.
miss d e rowley
miss d e rowley rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Robert Bullard
Robert Bullard rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2016
Lilian
Lilian rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2013
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Gabriele
Gabriele rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Letoya
Letoya rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Andy Niswonger
Andy Niswonger rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Tomiţă Militaru
Tomiţă Militaru rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Brandon
Brandon rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Claire
Claire rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Carter
Carter rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
I'm unashamedly a student of behaviour. I believe that the words and language we use not only impact our relationships with others, but also the way in which we behave. Recent research tends to support this belief. For example, studies at the Universities of Heidelberg, Neuchatel and Zurich (2007) show that when young male drivers hear male type words (such as “tough” and “rough”) they ...more
More about Bob Selden...