Start by marking “Seduction” as Want to Read:
Seduction

Seduction

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,912 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
Townsfolk called him Devil. For dark and enigmatic Julian, Earl of Ravenwood, was a man with a legendary temper and a first wife whose mysterious death would not be forgotten. Some said the beautiful Lady Ravenwood had drowned herself in the black, murky waters of Ravenwood Pond. Others whispered of foul play and the devil’s wrath.

Now country-bred Sophy Dorring is about to
Mass Market Paperback, 343 pages
Published February 1st 1990 by Bantam Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Seduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seduction

Beauty by Robin McKinleyLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseBeastly by Alex FlinnWhen Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa JamesLover Awakened by J.R. Ward
Beauty and the Beast
51st out of 387 books — 1,317 voters
Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasRomancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia QuinnNine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLeanThe Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia QuinnThe Bride by Julie Garwood
Best Humorous Historical Romances
78th out of 606 books — 684 voters

More lists with this book...

Peyton
Dec 03, 2013 Peyton rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
Pros:
- the heroine was kind of my fave. The hero's reactions to her would constantly make me trolololol.
- the way it addressed the imbalance of power between husband and wife in the regency era but in such a way that I felt that the hero and heroine reached a solid compromise. I really, really dislike when the heroine has no power and doesn't push back, maybe that's just me being too modern but whateva whateva
- the handling of the hero wanting sex, boy howdy am I used to that from boys my age,
freenightfalls
This is the first book I read by Amanda and that's why it holds a special place in my heart. With this book my obsession with historical romance began and there was no turning back.
I loved how Sophie irritated Julian and made him go crazy. It was so sweet. I also enjoyed the erotic scenes, and even though Julian was so arrogant, it fit the storyline well.
Daniella
Jul 09, 2015 Daniella rated it really liked it
Seduction would have been a solid 5 star read if Julian hadn't started out as a selfish, manipulative bastard who used Sophy's affections for his own purposes. Granted, that was for her safety, but manipulation for whatever ends does not sit well with me. I also didn't appreciate the fact that he all but demanded Sophy to continue loving him without offering his love in return. Ugh, the injustice of it all.

But meh, I have to admit that the ending did pacify whatever hatred I had for him. In my o
Alina
May 30, 2011 Alina rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I was so angry with this book. On one hand, it had some truly great scenes and plot elements for a Regency romance: the heroine duels a courtesan at one point! How awesome is that? The answer is: very awesome.

On the other hand, I have rarely encountered a character, in a romance book or otherwise, that I loathed more than the "hero" of this novel. There's your stereotypical "alpha male" hero of the Romance genre, and then there's this. Typical Romance alphole I can stand just fine. This... this
♡Karlyn P♡
Aug 10, 2009 ♡Karlyn P♡ rated it it was ok
DNF. Story was just too slow and boring for me. At the halfway point almost nothing had happened, and what did wasn't helping me stay awake.
Gina
Dec 07, 2011 Gina rated it it was ok
Having just read the awesomeness that is Ravished by Amanda Quick, I expected much more from this book. The old school elements (super jerk alpha hero and clueless but doesn't think she is heroine) were trying at times. I did like the secondary characters a lot. Jane and Anne, Sophy's friends, were great if a bit underdeveloped. Harriet and Fanny, Julian's aunt and her "friend" (a strongly hinted at lesbian relationship without ever saying it directly) were also fascinating, and I love how their ...more
Yue
Nov 13, 2015 Yue rated it it was ok
**EDIT: Whenever I remember Julian's behavior, I get so angry. So I am correcting my rating... it should be less because of him (I hated him! not the kind of hero I want to read in my romances)... gah, I can see changing my rating again to 1 in a couple of years...**

I give this book 3 stars mostly because of Sophy. I read this book like 3 years ago and then I forgot about it. But one scene has been kept on my mind all the time: when Sophy drugs Julian when he wanted to consummate their marriage.
Tammy
Sep 12, 2012 Tammy rated it it was ok
didn't really like that she was so deceitful about the supposed "rape". I really disliked her after she pulled that trick and couldn't bounce back to liking her again. Liked the hero but not the heroine. She was obsessed with being "forced" a bit too much for me. Especially when he did nothing to warrant such worry.
Barbara Vey
Jan 05, 2013 Barbara Vey rated it it was ok
I'm a huge Amanda Quick fan and was shocked to find I hadn't read this one. Turns out it was published in 1990. While I enjoyed it, her later books are so much more enthralling.

Instead try the Lavinia Lake/Tobia March trilogy or any of the Arcane Society books. All must reads for me.
Andrea
May 22, 2015 Andrea rated it liked it
No sabía como calificar el libro, porque 3 estrellas es poco y se podría pensar que no es muy bueno. Sin embargo quiero defenderlo, principalmente por la protagonista SOPHIE.
Julian, es un viudo que guarda malos recuerdos de su matrimonio, marcado por infidelidades y humillaciones.
Ahora quiere una esposa para procrear y que no le cause mayores problemas. Los motivos tajantes para eso, es que no pretende volver a enamorarse. Y va a pedir la mano de una humilde Sophie.
Sophie es una mujer que le
Erica
Oct 10, 2014 Erica rated it did not like it
Julian was a complete prick. He treated Sophie like a dumb child all the time, and she sat there and took it. This book was terrible, with two completely unlikable main characters. There really wasn't much of a plot, until the end. Skip this one
Josephina
Well, thank heavens that's over.

I decided to re-read Quick's books, as I enjoy several of them. ... Not this one, sadly.

To break it down:

The Heroine:

My word. I've been staggered lately by how many romance novels have at least one scene that makes me think, "Well, that was a bit rapey." This had a slightly different variation on the theme, in that the heroine only lets the hero THINK he raped her. So that's okay - and not at all, you know, deplorable. If you can get past that somehow, her charact
Hannah
I love Amanda Quick. Her books may be predictable, but they're also reliable and totally hilarious.

This was just as enjoyable as I hoped it would be; the hero could be very frustrating and the heroine had one TSTL moment, but I'm able to forgive and forget given how often this story made me smile. It was definitely frivolous but when you're trapped at O'Hare for seven hours, anything entertaining is gold in my mind.
Cynthia Pratt
May 09, 2016 Cynthia Pratt rated it really liked it
I am reading my Amanda Quick books in series. Amazing that this book is 26 years old. It reminded me of reading early Stephanie James. I remember one book I simmered through because the woman was being stalked and harassed by her boss. How time changes our opinions. In this book you really want to brain 'the hero" many times. I thoroughly enjoyed it but did wonder sometimes if the discussion of honor was going in circles.
Dinjolina
Cute.

Nothing to write home about but it was a very big step up from regular A.Quick novels. Because those are not very good. More like predictable. Oh, and a guilty pleasure of mine :)

But this one actually pulled off the crazy villain! Have you read the other Quick books? This is BIG!

All in all the only thing I had a problem with was that we did not really see how the hero realized he was in love. He just...told us on his way out the door to fight the looming evil. That was kind of a bummer beca
Rexanne
Feb 25, 2015 Rexanne rated it really liked it
The story starts with Julian, Earl of Ravenwood, asking for the hand of country-bred lady Sophy. He is more than annoyed at her grandfather's announcement of her refusal to marry him so he takes matters into his own hands. What Julian doesn't know is that Sophy has ulterior motives for her refusal-one of them vengeance, the other love. A story with a feisty heroine and a brooding yet charismatic earl, Seduction is a tale of romance mixed with mystery and suspense-the mark of a true Amanda Quic ...more
Jean Tatro
Aug 10, 2010 Jean Tatro rated it it was ok
I was drawn in by the premise, the beauty-and-the-beast setting being my absolute favorite, and I was left feeling ambivalent towards the book in general. It had a fairly good story, and some great scenes. The hero and heroine felt bland, while the secondary characters shone.

The reveal at the end could have used a lot more foreshadowing, but at least had a solid set up. At the end it didn't seem like the hero and heroine hadn't changed at all, and there was no real chemistry between them. It has
Alexandra Aguirre
Apr 06, 2016 Alexandra Aguirre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Relectura]
Hace mucho tiempo había leído este libro y si bien en su momento me pareció espectacular gracias al romance que hay en ella, ahora pude apreciar con mucho más detalle la esencia, pude percatarme de ciertos errores e investigar y aprender con las palabras que en dicho momento no conocía pero a las que no quería buscarles un significado.
Seducción nos cuenta la historia de Sophy y Julian, básicamente ellos se casan por conveniencia; no obstante, eso no quiere decir que entre ambos no ha
Ladysatel
Julian Richard Sinclair, Earl of Ravenwood decides to marry again. He late marriage to Elizabeth Sinclair was a disaster. Elizabeth was a great beauty who had the morals of a cat. She carried on publicly wiith a lot of men. She was found dead in a pond on the Ravenwood Abby estate.

Sophy Doring, a young single woman, lives with her uncle Lord Theo Doring near Ravenwood. Sophy is not a striking beauty, but she is educated and kind.

Julian decides to marry Sophy and train her to be the wife he think
Christelle
Julian, riche et cynique comte de Ravenwood, après un premier mariage désastreux, songe à se remarier, pour perpétrer son titre, et demande la main de Sophie, jeune et naïve lady de la campagne. Malgré les rumeurs selon lesquelles il aurait tué sa première femme, Sophie accepte à 3 conditions: qu'elle puisse gérer son argent comme elle le désire, lire ce qu'elle veut et surtout, que le mariage ne soit consommé qu'après une période de 3 mois, délai qu'elle souhaite mettre à profit pour retrouver ...more
Lisa
Dec 21, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this book. The "hero", Julian, was a hypocritical bully who continually broke his solemn word of honor without a second thought.

The premise of the story is that Julian is a rich Earl with a dead first wife and no heirs. His first wife was a slut who cheated on him with practically every man she met and even aborted Julian's baby so that she could continue to have her fun. Now that she's gone, Julian has a strong desire to avoid scandal and wants his next wife to just sit qui
Nibrock
Jan 07, 2013 Nibrock rated it it was ok
It wasn't as good as previous books that I've read by Amanda Quick. I think it was missing a big mystery. The ring left by Sophie's sister was a good secondary plot line, but there needed to be something bigger for the main plot. There are some really funny situations/conversations - like Sophie's duel & her drugging her husband - but there is too much slow moving situations/conversations.
Dayna
Jul 18, 2014 Dayna rated it did not like it
Robin
Jul 25, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
The Earl of Ravenwood has asked for country-bred Sophy Dorring's hand in marriage. The Earl is looking for a compliant bride to bear his children. But Sophy hesitates to accept Julian, not because of the mysterious death of his first wife, but because Julian doesn't love her. Then Sophy comes up with a plan. Marry Julian and teach him to trust and love again. Of course, things don't go as planned. Soon Sophy is entangled in a blackmail plot and challenging Julian's former mistress to a duel at d ...more
Norabear
Feb 15, 2008 Norabear rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2008
Eh. I hadn't read Quick in years but decided to start re-reading her books from the beginning. Her newness as an author shows in this below average historical romance though in spots she displays the humor and warmth that her future books will delight me with.
Elizabeth
I enjoyed the romance and H and h's interactions, there were some good moments but H and h grated on my nerves several times. H was a jerk for almost the whole book. Moreover, the story was a bit slow and the mystery plot not so thrilling.
AnaChris
This started on good premise for me and initially i liked the heroine.....but then it all just went downhill from there. The hero is down right repulsive and i completely and unapologetically detest him. He is an extreme misogynist and control freak. He gave his words to heroine and then went on to dishonor every commitment..... Going so far as to actually almost rape. He is condescending and arrogant.....so far i do not see any redeeming quality in him. He is not only sex hungry but also demean ...more
Serban Georgiana
Feb 22, 2014 Serban Georgiana rated it it was ok
Sincer nu prea mi-a placut aceasta carte.
Sunt putin cam dezamagita si sincer ma asteptam la mai mult din partea autoarei.
Poveste de dragoste este cam superficiala cu multe lacune. Ma asteptam ca macar razbunare pe care Sophy o cauta sa se desfasoare altfel.
In descrierea cartii se specifica ca Julian este un adevarat diavol,dar in schimb pe parcrsul catii decopar un barbat cam fara caracter,usor de manipulat si foarte rece din punct de vedere sentimental.
Chiar daca Amanda Quick incearca sa
Seatah
Aug 13, 2009 Seatah rated it liked it
Townsfolk called him devil. For dark and enigmatic Julian, Earl of Ravenwood, was a man with a legendary temper and a first wife whose mysterious death would not be forgotten. Some said the beautiful Lady Ravenwood had drowned herself in the black, murky waters of Ravenwood Pond. Others whispered of foul play and the devil's wrath.

Now country-bred Sophy Dorring is about to become Ravenwood's new bride. Drawn to his masculine strength and the glitter of desire that burned in his emerald eyes, the
nurmawati
Jul 19, 2012 nurmawati rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buku-eng
  • Sharp Edges
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Lord Carew's Bride (Stapleton-Downes, #4)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...