Start by marking “First French Kiss: And Other Traumas” as Want to Read:
First French Kiss: And Other Traumas

First French Kiss: And Other Traumas

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Growing up male - funny, touching, and as unexpected as life itself!
This collection of finely crafted stories from the acclaimed author of "Forgotten Fire" zeros in on the moments of comic confusion and tender transformation that make up one boy's wild ride through childhood and adolescence. Whether it's struggling up a godforsaken mountain with other miserable campers, t
Published September 11th 2002 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about First French Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First French Kiss

Stephanie
Okay, now this is the book I've been looking for. This is a short story collection of a fictional character's adolescence that's a great balance of funny and poignant. I can't wait to share this book with my students.
Why have I never read anything by Adam Bagdasarian before? Has he written anything else? Must. Find. Out.
Dannielle
Dannielle Nebinski (First French Kiss and Other Traumas)
Genre: Humor

First French Kiss and Other Traumas is a delightfully entertaining book about one boys life and his adventures through childhood and adolescence. The story is written in the voice of a boy named Will, as he recounts his childhood "traumas" that seem to him to be both major and minor incidents. The book has both a humorous tone as well as a more serious tone at times, as he explains his first make-out session, and talks about how
Sandra
Follow Will into adolescence and then adulthood while living in Fresno on his father's vineyard. This book is told in short stories. Some are sad, some made me laugh out loud, but all are honest and well done. A quick, but worthy read.
Iserbarnes
The book I read was called first french kiss. It's an autobiography the authors life growing up. The book was by Adam Bagdasrian. An his out look on his life into adulthood. About his time in life were he started to see clear.

Okay the book first start off with the the title first french kiss. He's tell the reader about when this girl named Maggie. Who was the prettiest in sixth grade. How he an she were in love with each other. So when her party came up he an she was. Suppose bet the record of
Dardenitaaa
Damn, this book rendered me awestruck.

It’s two am and I just recently finished reading Adam Bagdasarian’s First French Kiss and other Traumas five minutes ago and it’s so good that I’m right away compelled to write my thoughts of the aftermath; it’s been awhile since I’ve last come across a book I couldn’t put down—I’m so busy raising my dead social life from the grave that I could only squeeze in reading during my left over time. But oh, this book just stole my attention and resisted to be put
Ashdapple
I am a little mixed on how to talk about this book because it wasn't in any way bad ... it just didn't impress me, you know?

I do like the idea of the author telling his life adventures of his childhood, while occasionally adding an exaggeration or twist to the story... but none of the stories were very interesting or captivating to me, and some were just plain boring to read.

The author's writing style was pretty unique, I will give it that, but not strong enough to keep me entirely engaged.

A
Cody
Hmm... What to say about this book?

This was a fast read and at first I wasn't so into it. It seemed to be a collection of short memories in a fictional "autobiography" by Will. What I discovered as I read was a real genius approach to their telling.

The narrator recounts numerous "firsts" in his life: his first fight, girlfriend, job, etc. However as the book progresses, the narrator who seems very immature at the beginning of the book, comes of age as does his writing.

The chapter where Will find
Miss Martelo
Great collection of short stories. I enjoyed the stories and many of them fit of the coming of age theme. My middle school students will definitely enjoy these. My favorite story was "First French Kiss." It's comical and told in a tasteful way for adolescents. I'm glad I came across this book.
Christina
Sang Jin
the first time I read this collection, I couldn't stop thinking about all the "traumas" I had missed. these accounts weave realism with a youth's imagination.
Vicky  del Rio
I think that the First French Kiss was a good book because it tells you about kids in middle school and their kisses.I thought it was very specific about the authors life.I recommened this book to all middle school students and maybe 12-15 year old. If I was a teacher i would read this to my students because I think they wold enjoy it, maybe I would read thus to my brothers or sisters.And that is Victoria's post!
Ben
Jun 11, 2008 Ben added it
A boy will dicover the life as a teenager. He will experince the good things and bad things as a teen. The experince of fitting in with cool kids. The experince of love and rejections. The book has many differnt stories of a teenager boy. i recommend this book becasue i can really relate to the emotions of the life of a teenager. Actually anyone who has gone the life of a teenager can realte to this.
TheSaint
Jan 16, 2009 TheSaint rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Adam Bagdasarian's stories of his childhood and adolescence read so true that it is difficult to remember that you are reading fiction. Each story seems like a memoir -- whether of a knock-down-drag-out fight, which was all the author expected it to be, or of the titular First French Kiss, which wasn't. A 2005 nominee for the Young Readers Choice Award.
Emily Jardine Burdette
I forced my book club to read this hilarious adolescent lit memoir, and no one liked it as much as I did. Oh well! I read this book with my seventh and eighth grade students and it was a hit! The kids were laughing out loud as we read several of the chapters. Adam Bagdasarian really captures junior high and all its pain. I love this book!
Colin
This book was not nearly as good as "Forgotten Fire," Bagdasarian's debut, which was pretty incredible. It was a series of coming-of-age vignettes that were mildly amusing at times, written in the voice of a fictional character but based on Bagdasarian's childhood. Pretty ho-hum.
Madeline
I usually enjoy short stories, but I just didn't love this book. Maybe because it was from the point of view of an adult, or a boy. One of the only stories I only liked was about one of his girlfriends. I think this is a good book, just not very relate-able for me.
Jessica
With a title like that, I thought it would be really funny. It was a quick read and fairly boring, but light. He mentions in the book that his dad dies, but there is a total lack of emotion involved in that so I wondered if it was a joke or for real.
Cheri
Loved these short stories! This author reminded me of David Sedaris or the author of "Sh*t My Dad Says" in his storytelling capabilities. Only these stories are designed for young adults. Very funny stories about family and friends.
Sara
Sep 14, 2008 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sara by: Linda Rief
This really surprised me. It is a compelling "memoir" of sorts that catapults you directly into the mind of an adolescent male. We don't get that voice often enough - especially not at this quality. Great for read alouds!
Rebecca
There are certain parts of this memoir that are so well-written that you can feel the emotion. Yet, I often found myself caught in a repetition of the same syntactical tricks. It felt amateurish to me.
Hannah Goodman
I enjoyed this and thought the structure was unusual. It seemed like a fictional memoir and instead of separate stories the pieces were different vignettes all around the trauma of his father’s death.
Elizabeth
I found this book on some sort of 'Good YA' list. I didnt think it was good. The guy stumbles through all of his teenage moments with an adult perspective - great concept, poor execution.
Ms. Shah
These chronicles of the author's life started out slow, but picked up in the middle once I realized that the stories were not in a chronological sequence.
Neill Smith
A series of sometimes humorous vignettes about a boy growing up and dealing with the struggles of childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood.
Nouzong
I like the short stories in there.
I think its alot of self explaining of the writer
life and thinks that had happen in their life.
Lynn
This book is about a boy growing up and the different traumas he comes across, but it isn't as good as I thought it would be.
emily
lol MRS BERNARD READ MY SIDE OF THE STORY! lmao it got so boring after like 2 times :)
Arisbethe Rodriguez
This book i already read i really didnt like this book.i dont have nothing to explain.
Liz
Fresh, often funny, look at growing up through Adam's eyes. [True stories]
Marissa
This book was ok but it was not what i was expecting.
Ms. Douglas' 703: Thoughts so far 16 19 Oct 20, 2011 05:37PM
Ms. Douglas' 701: Thoughts so far 14 15 Oct 20, 2011 07:42AM
  • Danger Zone
  • Flip-flop Girl
  • Painting the Black
  • Dark Sons
  • The Sledding Hill
  • Is There Really a Human Race?
  • Petey
  • Wenny Has Wings
  • The Wreckers (High Seas Adventures, #1)
  • What Jamie Saw
  • I Hadn't Meant to Tell You This
  • Fifty Days of Solitude
  • The Man on the Ceiling
  • Blind Sighted
  • A Begonia for Miss Applebaum
  • The Taking of Room 114
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • Uncle Vampire
Adam Bagdasarian is an Armenian American writer for teenagers and young adults. His first novel, Forgotten Fire, became a National Book Award Finalist. His second novel First French Kiss: and other traumas gained as much success as his first one. He resides in New York City.

Son of Ross Bagdasarian creator of Alvin and the Chipmunks and younger brother of Ross Bagdasarian Jr.

I read My Name Is Aram,
More about Adam Bagdasarian...
Forgotten Fire