Start by marking “La casa de las siete urracas” as Want to Read:
La casa de las siete urracas

La casa de las siete urracas

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  1,223 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Frederica Hammond ha sido acogida en casa de su tia Sophie, una simpatica y vital solterona que vive en Wiltshire. Ahora es el momento de establecer nuevas amistades, como la de la timida Rachel o la de la alegre y espontanea Tamarisk, hija de los terratenientes locales. Y tambien conoce a Crispin, el arrogante hermano de Tamarisk, y a dos ancianas hermanas que habitan la ...more
Published February 28th 2000 by Mondadori (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about La casa de las siete urracas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La casa de las siete urracas

Maria M. Elmvang
I'll be the first to admit that Victoria Holt doesn't write great literature. Her stories are fluff - meant for entertainment and not much else. But so what? Once in awhile a bit of entertainment is all I really ask for in a book, and as such Seven for a Secret did a great job. The writing was tighter than I've seen in some of her other books and while somewhat contrived the plot wasn't altogether improbable and the ending very satisfactory.

It's not a book that'll leave a lasting impression on a
Jael
Another author I keep hearing about from my friends. I don't know if all her books are this rubbishy or if I just picked a bad one, but it read like the magnum opus of a fifteen-year-old who reads too many sordid newspaper articles. How else can you cram seduction, suicide, identity crises, divorce, deception, illegitimate children, and South Sea islands into just one story?

Also, the NAMES. Tamarisk is bad... but Crispin?!?

I rest my case.
Laurie
She is such a good writer. I love how she writes from childhood and unravels all these cryptic mysteries. My husband was excited that I was reading a romance. But this disappointed him for it was really really clean and more a story of discovery. I loved it and I love her books
Jamie
Jan 31, 2007 Jamie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes gothic romance
One of my all-time favorite books, I first read Seven for a Secret when I was in high school. For a few years I looked in local book shops for a copy of my own, but didn't find one until recently. It was still as good as I remembered it being seven or eight years ago.
Abigail Yow
Even if Holt's books are deemed to be formulaic and predictable, still, I can always expect a good, engaging and suspenseful read every time I pick up any one of her novels.

I have to admit that Holt's books aren't without fault. Her characters may not be consistently multifaceted, her plot usually follows a single pattern which you can ultimately guess what's going to happen in the end and of course the love story feels awkwardly contrived. But despite all the minor setbacks I have with most of
Jenny
I think I've read this before…I had the story figured out in the first few pages.

And her falling in love with him? There was no character basis for her choice. And no one talks like that - or maybe they did, but I would have hit the girl in the mouth for being a pompous, stuck-up self-righteous pill.
Anna
I am a fan of Victoria Holt, one of my grandmother's favorite authors. This story is about Frederica (Freddie) who comes to live with her aunt after her mother dies. Aunt Sophie lives in a small village in England near the St. Aubyn estate. Freddie attends classes with Tamarisk St. Aubyn and another gilr, Rachel. From the beginning, Freddie is intrigued by Crispin St. Aubyn, Tamarisk's older brother and the owner of the estate, even though he barely seems to notice the 13 year-old girl. As time ...more
Jen
Exactly what I expected after reading the reviews. A simple read with little thought needed to figure out what happens in the end. Still enjoyable enough.
Kw
I am a big Victoria Holt fan but this one is my least favorite. Unpalatable and a bit boring
Chazzle
Jul 07, 2007 Chazzle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women, and men who enjoy the plots of Desperate Housewives
I really, really enjoyed this book. I can't quite put this in the "Hall of Fame" with Sidney Sheldon and Dominick Dunne, but it's close.

Most intriguing element: A grown woman who has lost her sanity, to the extent that she believes that a doll is a living baby. I won't spoil the secret, but there's a darn good reason for her condition. Serious goosebumps when the author spills the beans on this one.

Even in chapters which seem to be "filler", the writing is real pleasant.

Difficulty: tougher than
Jodi
Feb 27, 2011 Jodi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Victoria Holt was a guilty pleasure that I discovered through a friend of mine back in high school. These books have a historical fiction feeling to them but they are not based on any real event in history. They are enjoyable to read and I devour them quickly but they are simply mind candy! There is always a twist too! What a surprise to learn about Crispin as a baby and to learn how Tamarisk is surviving on a lonely distant island off off Australia. I also liked that this book was "clean!"
Jenn
Nov 14, 2008 Jenn rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
The worst book of all time! Characters are so flat, that during one short back-and forth conversation in the book I had to go to the beginning and count every other line to figure out who was saying what! The dialog could have been spoken by anyone of the characters, that's how little depth and substance they were given.

The plot of the book was simple-minded and utterly predictable.

Whoever authorized that this book be published should be very, very ashamed.
Ani
It's funny to remember that I stole this book from the school library (for the record, no one in that school reads in English nor would the appreciate a good novel, so I did the book a favor) even though I wasn't too sure I'd like the genre.

I was pleasantly surprised! It's not fast paced, but it keeps you interested with the mysteries and secrets of every character until you want to know all their secrets, and once you do, all you can do is smile.
Melinda Lamoreaux
I had this book recommended to me by my sister without knowing anything about it. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the story line was interesting and not too predictable. The characters were likable and I found myself pleased with their character growth throughout the book. It had just enough twists to keep me turning the pages and I thought it tied up very nicely. I would recommend this book and read another by this author.
Muriel
I liked this when it started but it dragged on far too long especially since the major mystery is pretty damned obvious from the beginning. The romance is also rather anemic here which I also found to be rather true of The Mistress of Mellyn but at least in that one the story was a little more gripping.
LJ
SEVEN FOR A SECRET – G
Victoria Holt – stand alone
Tragedy brought young Frederica to Harper’s Green, but as she grew from child to woman, her peaceful surroundings crumbled under the weight of seduction, scandal, suicide and murder.

I’d not read Victoria Holt for many years. This is a classic gothic romantic suspense novel that provided a delightful afternoon’s escape.
Anita
A little too dark for my taste.
Keshia
Pretty good book. Unexpected turns and twists... follows the life of a 13 year old girl up through 20 years old. Not sure I liked the ending... because it left open the possibility of the main characters someday being kicked out of their mansion... or something like unto it... though it tries to make you feel like it's not very likely.
Susan Fetterer
I loved reading VH's romantic, suspenseful novels many years ago and was delighted to come upon this one, which I had not read. The story line was, like most of the others was simplistic but fun, quick, and escapist reading. The plot broke down at one point and became predictable but it was nevertheless a fun, bedtime read.
Neja
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
Vmontgzz
Me encantan las novelas de Victoria Holt y esta de una de las buenas, mucho suspenso, mas de un secreto que guardar, un viaje a una isla exotica y al final todo sale bien. Me gusto mucho.
Princessjay
2.5 STARS

Among the more ludicrous plots for these type of novels, all conveniently blamed upon the crazy woman. Still, a quick, easy read for an extended bus ride.
Farren
Also given to me by the same friend who gave me Mistress of Meylln and again i`m thankful to her to share a great book with me once again
Rachelle
This was a fun mystery/love story that I sped through quickly. It is a good book to read when you need some distraction.
Lori
I love reading novels by Victoria Holt. I haven't read a new one in a long time, but read a whole bunch as a young adult.
Janet
You can't go wrong with Victoria Holt. She wrote great romance and intrigue, and that is why I am re-reading her books.
Kim
An old fashioned murder mystery and romance. It kept you intrigued, but wasn't anything earth shattering.
Kalpani
It very good book for understand, what do you want in a real life for living Happily
Monsmeg
Very good book! This is my favorite Victoria Holt.
Carol C
Nov 13, 2009 Carol C rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: a friend
very interesting and I enjoyed it.
  • Lost Island
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • Winterwood

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
More about Victoria Holt...
Mistress of Mellyn On the Night of the Seventh Moon The Shivering Sands The India Fan The Pride of the Peacock