Mister Roberts

Mister Roberts

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  21 reviews

An instant hit upon its original publication in 1946, it was quickly adapted for stage & screen. Beginning as a collection of short stories, Heggen based his novel on his experiences aboard the USS Virgo in the South Pacific during WWII . Irreverent, hilarious, the book shows readers what a real leader is in the guise of Mr. Roberts!

Published February 5th 1985 by Penguin Books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Mister Roberts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mister Roberts

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellHamlet by William ShakespeareAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Oscar Nominations
151st out of 220 books — 19 voters
High Tension by William Wister HainesShe Died a Lady by Carter DicksonSpoonhandle by Ruth MooreFlame Of Sunset by L.P. HolmesAnna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
List of Pocket Books 6
17th out of 30 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Eric_W
Probably all of us have seen the classic Mister Roberts play or movie. The book is better. It captures the mind-numbing tedium much better, and the humor is scorched with irony and paradoxical pain. The hero, Mr. Roberts, spends his time on board trying to leave the safety of his cargo transport's milk-runs, filing one transfer request after another, seeking the action of a war-ship.

The author, Thomas Heggens, was discovered drowned in his bathroom in 1949, an apparent suicide, despite, or perh...more
Jessica Barkl
Checked out a bunch of books in preparation for the show I’m in currently, and one of them is this book. I finished it late last night when I had insomnia, and I was so sad afterwards that I couldn’t sleep. I kept thinking about the book, and how it relates to the play I’m in…which is going into tech this week, and I guess I just had one of those “tech week insomnia nights.” Though, I have to say, not a good way to start a long week.

So…the book jacket probably has the best descriptions of the b...more
Stephen
After having loved the movie growing up I was curious when I found that Mr. Roberts had begun life as a book. I was even more curious when I found that it was the author's one published novel and that he died before celebrating his 30th birthday and before the stage adaptation starring Henry Fonda made it big.

In some ways the death of the author could be called (view spoiler)

The book is perhaps no...more
Ramzi
Coinboy
Everybody's seen this movie, right? Well, everyone in my family has. Before it was a movie starring Henry Fonda, it was a Broadway hit starring Henry Fonda, and before that it was this novel, published in 1946. And that makes it remarkable.

It's a book about comic moments on a dreary cargo vessel in the Pacific in WWII, not told comically, but manner-of-factly. The author's post-war bitterness and cynicism seep out from time to time in some remarkable passages. Try to imagine anyone writing an od...more
Loving this funny, touching film is what prompted me to read the book, which is also wry and comical. It doesn't quite have the heart of the movie, but, as a short and mostly breezy read, it doesn't disappoint either. I just had to hold my nose when women were mentioned. The nurses in the bathroom, for example, could have been allowed more dignity, but I accept the voyeurism tale as sadly accurate. It's hard to read something in which most of the male characters feel that women have some duty to...more
Gary
I actually saw the movie first with Henry Fonda, James Cagney and Jack Lemmon. I thought the movie was great and the book did not disappoint either. As with anyone who's seen the movie before the book, you picture in your mind the actors from the movie with the characters in the book. A great read and to me it reminded me just a bit of M.A.S.H in its style of comedy.
Jerry
Mister Roberts was one of a slew of books published by rising American authors immediately after the end of World War II. These young men had served in the war and drew from their experiences in the conflict as an initial introduction to their work. For young writer Thomas Heggen it brought instant fame and praise, and later personal tragedy. The book is ok, the story is original (one of the greatest battles in war can be the fight against boredom and monotony), however, the resulting movie is m...more
Sue
This is the novel the classic movie (James Cagney, Henry Fonda, Jack Lemon) was based on. It captures the tedium and oppressive heat and life aboard a little ship in a big ocean.

My dad started his naval career in the earl 50s as a cook on one of these little supply ships in the Pacific, and he had shipmates who'd been there since the War. He said this is pretty darned close to the real thing...including the palm tree!
Zach Jensen
i just started this book a couple days ago and i haven't goten that far but the crew isn't like the rest of the navy crews by how they act and dress. the captin really doesn't act like a normal captin he doesn't know what kind of power he has over the crew. So the crew can kinda push him around. and mister roberts is the most respected officer.
Lauren
Funny and poignant, Mr. Roberts was a real treat to read. More a collection of short stories than a novel in the classic sense. The all too real story tells of the trials and trivialities surrounding a crew onboard a cargo ship during WWII. The movie is much altered from the book, but both have their own merits.
Michael
hmmm...well, not what I expected, but still a good book. it's obvious the movie (and most likely the play) took bits and pieces from the book, but not everything.
Kenneth Flusche
This marks the third time I've read this one. First time early 60's an adventure story with a sad ending. Late 70's as a Navy Vet it was a real world story, Finally yesterday 2013 it was just a story of people serviving a difficult job. Definitly worth reading a clasic.
David
A series of comic vignettes aboard a Navy cargo ship in the Pacific during WWII. The book is different than the play and movie in that it doesn't focus solely on the characters of Mister Roberts and Ensign Pulver.
Tom
As much as I enjoyed the "light reading," I doubt if I would have read the book had I not seen the movie and, in retrospect, I doubt f I would have seen the movie if I read the book first.
Dan Hays
Simply a classic - I've read this book numerous times, and it maintains it's high caliber appeal!
Alicedewonder
DON'T SEE THE MOVIE UNLESS YOU DIG JIMMY CAGNEY. THIS NOVEL WILL LIVE FOREVER!
Bob Wrathall
Read this book as a 12 year old. It was wonderful.
Howard Hill
It is one of my favorite movies, and an even greater book.
Dave
If you enjoyed the movie - you will love the book.
Paul
Feb 17, 2012 Paul marked it as to-read
test
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Caren
Caren marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Al Buttnor
Al Buttnor marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Angelia Phillips
Angelia Phillips marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Torgny
Torgny added it
Jul 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Three Great Novels of World War II Mister Roberts

“What manner of ship is this? What does it do? What is its combat record? Well, those are fair questions, if difficult ones. The Reluctant, as was said, is a naval auxiliary. It operates in the back areas of the Pacific. In its holds it carries food and trucks and dungarees and toothpaste and toilet paper. For the most part it remains on its regular run, from Tedium to Apathy and back; about five days each way. It makes an occasional trip to Monotony, and once it made a run all the way to Ennui, a distance of two thousand nautical miles from Tedium. It performs its dreary and unthanked job, and performs it, if not inspiredly, then at least adequately.” 1 likes