Start by marking “Spin Cycle” as Want to Read:
Spin Cycle

Spin Cycle

Her husband left her for another man.
Her boyfriend may be cheating.
Her mother’s got a secret.
Is everyone having great sex but Rachel?

Lately, stand-up comic Rachel Katz’s life has begun to resemble a not-so-funny comedy routine — the kind where nobody laughs and everybody inches toward the door.

It began when her husband cheated ... with another man. Now she’s raising a te
Published October 9th 2001 by Delta

To ask other readers questions about Spin Cycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spin Cycle

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesNaked by David SedarisForever in Blue by Ann BrasharesLiving Dead Girl by Elizabeth ScottThe Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
Clothing on the Cover
73rd out of 96 books — 16 voters
Love in Bloom's by Judith ArnoldRush Me by Allison ParrBlooming All Over by Judith ArnoldThat Special Someone by Chaya T. HirschMeant To Be by Chaya T. Hirsch
Jewish Leads in Contemporary Romance
42nd out of 47 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 13, 2015 Sara rated it did not like it
For me it was extremely difficult to get into this book, or even finish it! There was no suspense, the story wasn’t there, and there was no development. In the end I had to skip some pages because it was just too boring. The author tries to include some mysteries to add something to the non-existent story, involving the parents of the protagonist and the designers she works for, but in the end they are not very plausible and somewhat irritating.
This book is predictable and not in a good way, it
Aug 25, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was ok
Totally predictable chick lit, and not all that good. The main character is a comedian, so the book is crammed full of bad bad jokes, many of which are supposed to be funny. I probably wouldn't have read the whole thing, had I not been on a plane.
Mar 06, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This was a cute read. Entertaining is a great way to describe it and I loved every minute of it. This was my first novel by author Sue Margolis, and I think I started with the right one. SPIN CYCLE cracked me up. It was witty, and cleverly written... and not to mention sexy! That washing machine man really knew how to handle his load (*wink*).

Rachel Katz is a struggling comedienne who has accepted that her ex-husband left her -- for another man, convinced that her fiancé is cheating on her, worr
May 10, 2007 Christina rated it liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit!
Shelves: 2003, chick-lit, library
Fun afternoon read, don't expect depth and you'll be fine.
Got this From book.
Dec 16, 2008 Amy marked it as couldn-t-even-finish
Shelves: bookcrossing
This is a book I rescued from remaining unread somewhere. I just can't remember exactly where. I thought it might make a quick "light read" between my more pithy books, but it just didn't grab me. It wasn't exactly bad, but I guess I wasn't in the mood for the trials and tribulations of a wanna be stand up comic - single mom, and all the cast of characters in her life... the gay ex husband, the pushy mother with a secret, fiance who may be cheating on her, the son who wants to invite Barbara Str ...more
Jun 25, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
I read a bunch of books from this author a while ago and they were both nearly the same, so I needed a break before I picked this one up because I knew it would be the same as well. And it was. Since all the sex scenes in all her books are all the same, I wonder how the guy who is married to the author thinks about it? It's books like this that make you realize how much of the author is really in them and am I ready for that if I ever get around to writing my book? Probably not.

Anyway, Girl is d
Sep 11, 2007 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit, adults
British Chick Lit-Incredibly funny, although it should be since the main character is hoping to make comedy her career. Sue's books are all quick and enjoyable reads.

Rachel Katz is devotedly pursuing a second career as a stand-up comic, much to the chagrin of her parents and her fiance, Adam. To support herself and her 10-year-old son, Sam, Rachel works as a cleaning lady for an eccentric couple who claim to be descendants of Karl Marx. Into Rachel's seemingly organized life walks Matt Clapton,
Celia Kennedy
May 14, 2013 Celia Kennedy rated it it was ok
A very quirky book!

Rachel Katz's character oscillates between bad puns, some really funny jokes, and then slapstick. Her boyfriend, Adam, and she couldn't be more incompatible as storyline characters. Which made him disappearing early in the book just fine.

A Stand-Up Comedian at night, Rachel cleans house for a designing duo. They are probably the most funny characters in the book. They speak designer speak, walk the walk, look the look... the author has captured this part of the book wonderfull
Jul 09, 2016 Megan rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2014 Emma rated it did not like it
The main plot was dreadful. The side stories even more so!

The pace of the book is awful, deadly boring when you are lucky, annoying when you are not (see the mysteries of the parents and employers)
Feb 16, 2009 Amy rated it did not like it
So, another book I managed to re-read accidentally. According to my records read in March 2003 and again in February 2009.

And it really didn't improve on a second reading. In fact, I'm surprised I don't remember how much I must've disliked this book on the first read through. The lead character is a stand-up comedian and yet I didn't laugh at any of her jokes. It was Borscht-Belt,men are from Mars, trite material. And there's more than one completely ridiculous subplot. I found myself skimming t
Dec 17, 2015 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: purchased, in-book
This was cute. It was light and breezy. It was slow to start. The sex was steamy. I enjoyed it. There's nothing here to keep me thinking about this story in the future, but I don't was fun while it lasted.
Apr 09, 2009 Cathy rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
A pretty silly book, though harmless. My main beef with it is that the main character is supposed to be a stand-up comic, and we're supposed to think that her jokes are funnier than the "bad" jokes the "regular people" around her tell - but they're not. They're really not. They're also not original - ironic, since one crucial plot point revolves around her upset feelings when another comedienne "steals her jokes." Anyway, it was a quick, easy read, good for a plane trip.
Jan 23, 2014 Lauri rated it did not like it
I just found the jokes and premise not funny, actually crass would probably be the right word.
Sep 23, 2008 Lynai rated it did not like it
i am not a fan of romance novels but sometimes boredom and lack of satisfactory reading material force me to make do with what is available. which is why i have this rotten, dense and stupid book in my hands. i don't need to finish reading this before i say how predictable the story would be. anyhow, it's still better reading trash novels than bumming around doing nothing. at least i wouldn't be thinking hard when i get to the last page.
Oct 17, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok
i'm all about a quick chick-lit read, but this book was so annoying at times. i did get sucked into the story line, but seriously, some of the attempted witticisms were just too forced and irritating.....the law firm of "newter and spade"--come on, is that the best you can do?

but, if you want a super fast read (like 2 hours fast) w/minimal entertainment value, this is suitable.
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it really liked it
funny and frothy
Jul 19, 2010 Nicole rated it liked it
I originally bought this book because of the author’s last name. Well it turned out to be a legitimately funny book about a struggling female comedian in Britain trying to sort out her love life. He relationship with the dentist is going nowhere...until she meets the washing machine repairman. A good read and genuinely witty but still a campy romance book.
This book had me laughing and I was repeating these jokes to my husband. I love the joke she says while she is on stage and thinks she is doing terribly. She says to the audience that she thinks wearing a diaphragm is a pain in the ass and a lady in audience heckles her by saying, that's cause your putting it in the wrong place! It is a fun, light read.
Aug 19, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
A cute book about a standup comedian whose husband left her and their son for another man, whose fiance is a dentist who seems to be a germaphobe, and whose attraction to the washing machine repairman makes her think twice. It's good for a laugh or two, with a few erotic scenes and worth it if you want a lighthearted comedy romance. :)
Feb 11, 2009 Jenny rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
Thought this chick-lit book would be funnier, since the main character is an amateur stand up comic. It was a light read with lots of quirky characters, but still not very funny. Best described as a mediocre sitcom with an annoying laugh track. Also, I did not care for the crass sex scenes.
Jun 19, 2010 Kim rated it liked it
I was looking for some light-hearted entertainment. It was a quick easy ready. It made me laugh a few times. It had plenty of “love” scenes. I thought the ending came together a little too nicely. It was sort of like reading a script for a cheesy romantic comedy.
Apr 14, 2013 Sharlene rated it liked it
Um, I got this book without realising it was a bit of erotica..... so was a little surprised! In the end it had a great ending so I enjoyed it. Probably wouldn't read this author again, just simply because it's not my kind of thing!
Jun 05, 2011 Angela rated it it was ok
Cute, fast read. Doesn't require much thought, which was exactly what I was looking for. There are definitely times then I just done't understand all of the English humor/references, which might have made this book more humorous.
Jan 14, 2010 Mtellison rated it did not like it
A bit too much smut for me. My mother-in-law read another one of her books and we were in agreement with how little she left to the imagination. I'm not into reading steamy romance novels so I didn't enjoy this book.
Jun 10, 2007 Charlotte rated it liked it
Rachel Katz is trying to make it as a single mom and a stand-up comic. True, she is funny, and so are her mishaps in this story about how everyone always gets exactly what is coming to them.
May 23, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
Halfway through this book, I thought I'd already read it before. Then, as it turns out, it was just because the steamy laundry room scene had been published in Cosmo ;-)
Feb 10, 2013 Kim rated it did not like it
Shelves: general-fiction
Main character was too much of an air head for me. The jokes took away from the storyline. Didn't get past the first chapter on this one.
Liz Kinnal
Jan 20, 2010 Liz Kinnal rated it liked it
This book was fun. THe beginning was a little slow but as I got nearer to the end, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.
  • Catching Alice
  • Going Topless
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • The Accidental Virgin
  • 31 Dates in 31 Days
  • What Do You Do All Day?
  • Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy: The Belle of All Things Southern Dishes on Men, Money, and Not Losing Your Midlife Mind
  • Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir
  • Dani Noir
Sue Margolis is the author of nine books, which have more than half a million copies in print from Bantam Dell. She lives in England, where she's at work on her next novel.

Sue worked as a reporter for the BBC, before leaving broadcasting to write her first novel. She lives in London with her journalist husband Jonathan. They have three grown up children. Sue’s hobbies include napping, constantly i
More about Sue Margolis...