Start by marking “Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)” as Want to Read:
Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)

Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword/MacAllister #3)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,690 Ratings  ·  275 Reviews
Stunning Caledonia MacNeely fights an unfamiliar shiver when she is offered in marriage to the infamous ′Lord Sin′. Though Callie fears this mysterious knight - less for the dark whispers that damn him than for the burning desire he invokes - she is under order of the English King. And with the fate of her troubled clan hanging in the balance, she has little recourse.
Mass Market Paperback, First, 372 pages
Published 2003 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Born in Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born in Sin

Outlander by Diana GabaldonArcher's Voice by Mia SheridanDark Needs at Night's Edge by Kresley ColeCaressed by Ice by Nalini SinghBorn in Sin by Kinley MacGregor
Books with Virgin Heroes
5th out of 411 books — 790 voters
Outlander by Diana GabaldonKiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Bride by Julie GarwoodThe Dark Highlander by Karen Marie MoningBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning
Best Highland/Scotland Romance Novels
33rd out of 469 books — 1,689 voters

More lists with this book...

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
REREAD: AHHHHHHHHHHHH This book is the BEES KNEES! me reading this book--> One of my most favorite books, and the heroine is like everything a herione should be. RIDE OR DIE oh yeah!!!!!

Born in Sin: 5 star read with complex characters and fulfilling progression of plot towards a above satisfactory HEA

Again, I have chosen to read a book that has been thoroughly reviewed multiple times. It seems I'm perpetually behind the great romance reads curve , however, it does afford me to ability to sim
Shawna
Jan 22, 2012 Shawna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of sweet, emotional romances, tortured heroes & spirited heroines
Shelves: auth-sherrilynkenyonkinleymacgregor, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, favorites, i-read-own-faves-keepers, historical-romance, highlanders-hunks-in-kilts-scots, made-me-cry, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-beta, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, best-top-favorites, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, favorite-romance-series, hero-i-wanna-marry, sizable-packages, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, historical-romance-medieval-misc, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, married-couples-married-convenience, historical-romance-scottish, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, assassin-hitman, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, hero-or-heroine-illegitimate, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-warrior, star-crossed-lovers, i-read-kindle, kindle, 5-stars-plus, steam-3-hot, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, hh-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, hero-brooding, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, hh-rags-to-riches, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, best-endings-epilogues, heroine-redhead, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, hero-black-sheep, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-military-war-veteran, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, a-all-time-favorite-hero, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, heartwarming, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, 2012-reads, best-fave-reads-of-2012, best-friendships, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, heroine-in-pursuit, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, series-brotherhood-macallisters, badass-kickass-motha-fucka, a-all-time-best-top-50-fave-dik, hero-uber-tortured-zsadist-esque
5+ stars – Historical/Medieval/Highlander Romance

Oh, how I loved, loved this book! I’m a sucker for emotional romances with tortured heroes, and Born in Sin is a touching read featuring one of the most abused and anguished romantic heroes of any that I’ve read. Sin’s unbearably tragic past and continual suffering and mistreatment from others have made him justifiably brooding, jaded, distrustful, reclusive, and full of self-loathing, yet he treats the heroine with gentleness and reverence.

He’
Rashika (is tired)
I AM FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
NEVER AGAIN.

Holy shit this was bad.

You have insta love.
Men who apparently have tough armors but are weak as fuck IMO.

Women who can apparently see through all of that shit to the sad sad man who lies inside when no one else could.
So many tropes. It was depressing.

The only good thing about this book was that the dude was a virgin. It amused me.

I must stop reading books none of my friends have rated.

Quinn
Aug 29, 2015 Quinn rated it really liked it
Born in Sin is the third book in Kinley MacGregor's Brotherbood/MacAllister series, and I would have to say it is my favourite one so far. It was also the reason I started this series, as I had heard many good things about the book, particularly its tortured hero, Sin.

If I’d read this one as a standalone, I think I might have been disappointed. Not because I would have missed any crucial background (even though Sin and his brothers first appeared in Claiming the Highlander), but because the writ
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
Another great story from Kinley MacGregor!! I wish I read it last year when I saw this book. I ignored it coz I thought she won't beat my favourite Highland authors. My judgement was wrong, Born in Sin was the BEST book I've ever read. Better than Master of Desire.

I love how Callie try to win Sin's heart. Sin is a tortured hero. His parents throw him and never admit that Sin is their son. I know some parents are CRUEL but I really hate them in this story. His mother deserved a slap!

Although he d
Cristina
If I could give this more than 5 starts, I'd gladly do so.
If you want to read an awesome historical book with an amazing plot, please give this one a try.
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Eastofoz
Apr 24, 2008 Eastofoz rated it it was ok
Shelves: highlander
This book was very predictable and boring. There is endless repetition that acts like filler just to get over 300 pages (how many times does the reader have to read how emotionally damaged Sin is and how beautiful and wonderful Callie is???), nothing really happens after you've hit the half way mark, it's touted as being witty/funny but there is very, very little humour and what is there is ho-hum, the love story is gag worthy--all your stereotypical bad romance story inanities, the language doe ...more
Zoe
Mar 27, 2016 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read from my youth.

This book was the only book from Kinley MacGergor that I read and liked back when I was a teenager. When I started reading in this genre again, I read other books in the series and couldn't really say that I liked any of them. But I postponed re-reading Born in Sin because I did not want to destroy a favorable impression of a book I liked.

Now I have finally reread this book and I am glad to say that I still like it today, and like it much better than any other books I hav
Jess the Romanceaholic
Another typical "Kenyon" tortured hero. As one of her earlier works, I definitely recognized later characters in Sin -- my boyfriend (Acheron), as well as pretty much every hero from the "Born In" series under the Kenyon name, and so forth.

Did that stop me from enjoying it? Of course not lol I'm a Kenyon/Macgregor/etc. fangirl, so of course I eat that crap up with a spoon ;) It can get overwhelming if you've decided to glom her writing though, so I find they're better read with a few other books
Anna D.
I’m going through Sin withdrawal! The end of a book I love is always bittersweet for me…I was sad to see it end.

Sometimes I have a really hard time separating my love for a character from my love for a book/story. This is one of those times because as much as my head is telling me that the story was just good (a 3-4 stars, and not a 5) I have to give this book 5 stars (more if I could) because I LOVE Sin MacAllister’s character and I felt a 5-star worth of enjoyment from this book. I laughed o
PepperP0t
I was easily transported back to this world within the first paragraph of the much maligned and damaged Sin MacAllister's star turn. King Henry is holding both Laird's daughter, Callie MacNeely, and her young brother hostage. Callie has unsuccessfully tried to escape with her young brother to her beloved highlands and her Callie's latest attempt brings her to the attention of the ferocious warrior, Sin. Sin both intrigues and fascinates Callie and she immediately wants to explore the tender and ...more
Daneesha
Jul 21, 2008 Daneesha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highlanders
I met the hero in a previous book, Claiming the Highlander. He was intriguing then and this is his story. It's so sad. He claims neither England nor Scotland for his heritage and he was not wanted by his father, his mother, or his stepmother. He was basically sold to some mercenaries and tortured. He had to kill people to stay alive until he met King Henry II. So, he has this reputation of a fearsome devil and fierce warrior on the battlefield. The female in this book was so great. She helped hi ...more
TJ
Feb 17, 2011 TJ rated it it was amazing
4.5/5.0

It's not perfect but within the realms of light, easy historical romance, it is close. The portrayal of a tortured, abused and unloved hero has seldom been written better. Sin, the bastard son of an unloving father and hateful mother had such a horrendous childhood that no one even considered the possibility of redemption. Callie does not know this, however, and having never heard of the infamous Sin, chooses to look past his reputation to find the man underneath. This story is both heart
Lady Raven RAVE!
http://www.romancenoveljunkies.com for readers

THIS book was so... good Sin is like the man you just wanna get to know if he really exist There is a part in the book that was SHOCKING, breath taking and just so so times infinity sweet that you rarely will find in Historical romance novels..this book will not disappoint, get the series start with the MASTER OF DESIRE the first book and the BROTHER HOOD OF THE SWORD series you will know the characters more.
Océano de libros
Me intrigaba la faceta de Sherrilyn Kenyon en el género con los highlanders así que dejándome de recomendaciones me embarqué en la lectura de este libro.
Debo decir que este es el tercer libro de la serie de Los MacAllister pero como es una historia aparte podemos seguir la trama. La portada es horrorosa y es la única pega que lo puedo dar a esta novela porque el resto es una maravilla.
La autora me ha vuelto a conquistar no solo por su forma de narrar, la buena ambientación, descripciones, aporte
Brenda (b)
May 20, 2008 Brenda (b) rated it it was amazing
Sin is an anguished soul in desperate need of salvation and love is the only thing that will accomplish that. But he's so conditioned to love avoiding him that he doesn't want to take the chance of yet another disappointment in his life.

A wonderful story for an amazing man. I love it!
Elaine Mcdonald
Feb 17, 2011 Elaine Mcdonald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kinley-macgregor
It was hard to put this book down. After reading several just ok books, I have just had a run of seriously good books! I will be reading the rest of this series! <3
Mishma
For more review visit Chasing Faerytales

Sin is a wounded, damaged man who's never had a good childhood because of his mixed heritage and unloving parents. He is brought up with hatred and then was sold to savages finally being saved by the king of England. This makes him a tough,savage assassin of the king and feared by everyone, until the king makes him marry a woman whose kind and gentle heart shatters the ice around his own.

The book is so beautiful. The horrors of Sin's life is unbearable and
Britta
Sep 01, 2008 Britta rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kim
Another fantastic addition the Sherrilyn Kenyon/Kinley MacGregor's MacAllister series.

Saved from the harsh life of slavery and killing he was sold into, Sin is the trusted advisor and sometimes friend of King Henry of England. Allowing no man nor family to claim him, Sin deals with his demons (and being called a demon as well as the devil himself and a baby eater) on a daily basis.

Much to his chagrin, Henry orders Sin to marry a woman who is the oldest daughter of the former (now dead) Laird o
Eli Easton
Oct 19, 2013 Eli Easton rated it really liked it
An enjoyable 4 star read for me. The 'extremely damaged man finds love' scenario was enjoyable as well as the historical aspect with the Scot's and King Henry. The romance was pretty steamy. The sub plot with the raider was well done. Points off for excessive length, repetitive internal dialogue ('no, I can't possibly trust that she loves me' for 400 pages) and a tendency towards purple prose. It's clear this book was written some time ago. Still, obviously a romance classic and worth a read.
Veronica~Nhaughty
Mar 23, 2016 Veronica~Nhaughty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Veronica~Nhaughty by: Jen ~The dreamer~
"The ghosts of the past are hard to exorcise..."

Sin was born a bastard and cast out to live and survive a cruelty no child should have to endure. He takes a chance on saving the King of England's life, and becomes Lord Sin, one of the most feared and powerful knights in the realm.

Callie is taken hostage by the King, who is looking for peace between the English and the Scots. He forces a marriage between Sin and Callie to help strengthen his cause for peace.

Sin and Callie's romance is a story o
Bespectacledreader
Reading this book proves that Kinley MacGregor has a flair for dramatics in her writing. I remember reading Master of Desire and shaking my head when the male protagonist proves his love by a little of exhibitionism. However I can say that the drama in Master of Desire is no match in the drama of Sin. Because Sin, Sin's blood runs the word drama and pessimism. He gives drama a whole new meaning.
description
It is like 95% of the book is revolving in Sin's sad life and the fact that he could not have Callie.
Katya
Nance
This was my first read from Historical Romance author Kinley MacGregor, and boy did it not disappoint! Sin is the hero in this novel, and a brooding chivalrous specimen of fine musculinity he is. Caledonia MacNeeley is the heroine who is generous and fearless with a trustingly compassionate soul. The two are ordered to be joined in marriage by the English King, but neither have a desire to so. Sin because of his current distaste with the Scottish that began during his childhood, and Callie becau ...more
Amy Sanders
Jan 02, 2011 Amy Sanders rated it it was amazing
Carmen
Sep 15, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it
The instant love drags the story under and the simplistic plot keeps it there. I love love love a tortured hero and so I have given the book one star more than it deserves. Sin was such a marvelous battered beast . . . I so wanted to love this book . . but didn't
Kitty Felone
Oct 12, 2013 Kitty Felone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highland-romance
While the sex in this story is written wonderfully, the emotional turmoil of Sin MacAllister is fantastic. We see a strong man, emotionally and physically, and what moves him. We see the reason for his mannerism, his past and how it turned him into such a being, and how torn he is every day he is around Caledonia MacNeely, his forced wife. Most stories with such powerful men never show a tragic-enough background to explain the man's mentality; at least, not in this magnitude.

It was a very good s
Jena
There are a lot of heroes that I love in books, but sadly, the heroines rarely stand out. "Born in Sin" can boast not only a hero that will capture your heart, but also a heroine you'll adore.

Sin broke my heart, with all that he'd endured in his young life! I have never wanted a happy ending for someone as badly as I wanted one for him!

I loved Callie, for her optimism and her bravery. This combination of strength and sweetness is the very best kind of heroine, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't wai
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Sep 27, 2013 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it it was amazing
Sin has had a very harsh life; Unwanted by both his parents, sold and beaten many times, and trained to kill from a very young age. Caledonia is a beautiful and strong-willed scotswoman who has had lots of losses of loved ones in her life. King Henry forces them to marry to stop her clan from attacking the English. Neither of them are sure about the marriage, but they fall and fall hard for each other and stop the raider's attacks aftrer they discover his identity. Great read!!
What's The Name o...: Looking for a historical romance [s] 2 43 Jun 19, 2015 12:21PM
Dangerous Hero Ad...: Brotherhood of the Sword - Kinley MacGregor 57 92 Mar 23, 2014 07:06PM
  • Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)
  • His Wicked Ways (MacKay, #1)
  • Untouched
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1)
  • Where's My Hero?  (The Gamblers, #3; Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5; Splendid, #3.5)
  • The Chieftain (Return of the Highlanders, #4)
  • Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3)
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Highland Conqueror (Murray Family, #10)
  • Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold (Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold, #1)
  • Always to Remember
  • If You Deceive (MacCarrick Brothers, #3)

Brotherhood of the Sword/MacAllister (7 books)
  • Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword #1)
  • Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood of the Sword #2/MacAllister, #1)
  • Taming the Scotsman (Brotherhood of the Sword #4/MacAllister, #3)
  • A Dark Champion (Brotherhood of the Sword #5)
  • Return of the Warrior (Brotherhood of the Sword #6)
  • The Warrior (Brotherhood of the Sword #7/MacAllister Series, #4)

“Cyn? Short for Cynric? (Callie)
Nay. S-I-N. As in conceived, born in, and am currently living happily in. (Sin)”
44 likes
“I want your heart, Sin. (Callie)
It’s battered and useless, but what remains of it is all yours, milady. (Sin)”
42 likes