Born in Sin (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #3)

Born in Sin (Brotherhood/MacAllister #3)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  4,841 ratings  ·  194 reviews
Stunning Caledonia MacNeely fights an unfamiliar shiver when she is offered in marriage to the infamous ′Lord Sin′. Though Callie fears this mysterious knight - less for the dark whispers that damn him than for the burning desire he invokes - she is under order of the English King. And with the fate of her troubled clan hanging in the balance, she has little recourse.
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published 2003 by Avon Books

Outlander by Diana GabaldonDark Needs at Night's Edge by Kresley ColeCaressed by Ice by Nalini SinghBorn in Sin by Kinley MacGregorTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Books with Virgin Heroes
4th out of 233 books — 476 voters
Outlander by Diana GabaldonKiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Dark Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie MoningBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning
Best Highland/Scotland Romance Novels
34th out of 399 books — 1,256 voters

More lists with this book...

Tai the Lioness
REREAD: AHHHHHHHHHHHH This book is the BEES KNEES! me reading this book--> One of my most favorite books, and the heroine is like everything a herione should be. RIDE OR DIE oh yeah!!!!!

Born in Sin: 5 star read with complex characters and fulfilling progression of plot towards a above satisfactory HEA

Again, I have chosen to read a book that has been thoroughly reviewed multiple times. It seems I'm perpetually behind the great romance reads curve , however, it does afford me to ability to sim...more
Shawna
Jan 22, 2012 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of sweet, emotional romances, tortured heroes & spirited heroines
Shelves: historical-romance, highlanders-hunks-in-kilts-scots, sherrilyn-kenyon-kinley-macgregor, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, historical-romance-scottish, series-brotherhood-macallisters, historical-romance-medieval-misc, hero-or-heroine-illegitimate, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-brooding, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, assassin-hitman, heroine-in-pursuit, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, heroine-redhead, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, hh-warrior, kindle, hero-black-sheep, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hero-antihero-gamma, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, star-crossed-lovers, sizable-packages, 2012-reads, 5-stars-or-higher, a-all-time-best-of-best-fave-dik, a-all-time-fave-hero, a-all-time-fave-heroine, best-endings-epilogues, best-faves-of-2012, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-friendships, best-top-favorites, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, favorite-love-scenes-hottest-nookie, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, favorite-romance-series, favorites, heartwarming, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-i-wanna-marry, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-military-war-veteran, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, heroine-i-adore, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, hh-rags-to-riches, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, i-read-kindle, i-read-own-faves-keepers, made-me-cry, married-couples-married-convenience, steam-3-hot, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, hero-beta, badass-kickass-motha-fucka, hero-uber-tortured-zsadist-esque, a-all-time-best-top-50-fave-dik
5+ stars – Historical/Medieval/Highlander Romance

Oh, how I loved, loved this book! I’m a sucker for emotional romances with tortured heroes, and Born in Sin is a touching read featuring one of the most abused and anguished romantic heroes of any that I’ve read. Sin’s unbearably tragic past and continual suffering and mistreatment from others have made him justifiably brooding, jaded, distrustful, reclusive, and full of self-loathing, yet he treats the heroine with gentleness and reverence.

He’s...more
Rashika (is tired)
I AM FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
NEVER AGAIN.

Holy shit this was bad.

You have insta love.
Men who apparently have tough armors but are weak as fuck IMO.

Women who can apparently see through all of that shit to the sad sad man who lies inside when no one else could.
So many tropes. It was depressing.

The only good thing about this book was that the dude was a virgin. It amused me.

I must stop reading books none of my friends have rated.

Quinn
Born in Sin is the third book in Kinley MacGregor's Brotherbood/MacAllister series, and I would have to say it is my favourite one so far. It was also the reason I started this series, as I had heard many good things about the book, particularly its tortured hero, Sin.

If I’d read this one as a standalone, I think I might have been disappointed. Not because I would have missed any crucial background (even though Sin and his brothers first appeared in Claiming the Highlander), but because the writ...more
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
Another great story from Kinley MacGregor!! I wish I read it last year when I saw this book. I ignored it coz I thought she won't beat my favourite Highland authors. My judgement was wrong, Born in Sin was the BEST book I've ever read. Better than Master of Desire.

I love how Callie try to win Sin's heart. Sin is a tortured hero. His parents throw him and never admit that Sin is their son. I know some parents are CRUEL but I really hate them in this story. His mother deserved a slap!

Although he d...more
Eastofoz
This book was very predictable and boring. There is endless repetition that acts like filler just to get over 300 pages (how many times does the reader have to read how emotionally damaged Sin is and how beautiful and wonderful Callie is???), nothing really happens after you've hit the half way mark, it's touted as being witty/funny but there is very, very little humour and what is there is ho-hum, the love story is gag worthy--all your stereotypical bad romance story inanities, the language doe...more
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Jess the Romanceaholic
Another typical "Kenyon" tortured hero. As one of her earlier works, I definitely recognized later characters in Sin -- my boyfriend (Acheron), as well as pretty much every hero from the "Born In" series under the Kenyon name, and so forth.

Did that stop me from enjoying it? Of course not lol I'm a Kenyon/Macgregor/etc. fangirl, so of course I eat that crap up with a spoon ;) It can get overwhelming if you've decided to glom her writing though, so I find they're better read with a few other books...more
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
I was easily transported back to this world within the first paragraph of the much maligned and damaged Sin MacAllister's star turn. King Henry is holding both Laird's daughter, Callie MacNeely, and her young brother hostage. Callie has unsuccessfully tried to escape with her young brother to her beloved highlands and her Callie's latest attempt brings her to the attention of the ferocious warrior, Sin. Sin both intrigues and fascinates Callie and she immediately wants to explore the tender and...more
Daneesha
I met the hero in a previous book, Claiming the Highlander. He was intriguing then and this is his story. It's so sad. He claims neither England nor Scotland for his heritage and he was not wanted by his father, his mother, or his stepmother. He was basically sold to some mercenaries and tortured. He had to kill people to stay alive until he met King Henry II. So, he has this reputation of a fearsome devil and fierce warrior on the battlefield. The female in this book was so great. She helped hi...more
Brenda (b)
Sin is an anguished soul in desperate need of salvation and love is the only thing that will accomplish that. But he's so conditioned to love avoiding him that he doesn't want to take the chance of yet another disappointment in his life.

A wonderful story for an amazing man. I love it!
Elaine Mcdonald
It was hard to put this book down. After reading several just ok books, I have just had a run of seriously good books! I will be reading the rest of this series! <3
Britta
Sep 01, 2008 Britta rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kim
Another fantastic addition the Sherrilyn Kenyon/Kinley MacGregor's MacAllister series.

Saved from the harsh life of slavery and killing he was sold into, Sin is the trusted advisor and sometimes friend of King Henry of England. Allowing no man nor family to claim him, Sin deals with his demons (and being called a demon as well as the devil himself and a baby eater) on a daily basis.

Much to his chagrin, Henry orders Sin to marry a woman who is the oldest daughter of the former (now dead) Laird o...more
TJ
4.5/5.0

It's not perfect but within the realms of light, easy historical romance, it is close. The portrayal of a tortured, abused and unloved hero has seldom been written better. Sin, the bastard son of an unloving father and hateful mother had such a horrendous childhood that no one even considered the possibility of redemption. Callie does not know this, however, and having never heard of the infamous Sin, chooses to look past his reputation to find the man underneath. This story is both heart...more
Lady Raven RAVE!
http://www.romancenoveljunkies.com for readers

THIS book was so... good Sin is like the man you just wanna get to know if he really exist There is a part in the book that was SHOCKING, breath taking and just so so times infinity sweet that you rarely will find in Historical romance novels..this book will not disappoint, get the series start with the MASTER OF DESIRE the first book and the BROTHER HOOD OF THE SWORD series you will know the characters more.
Katya
Nance
This was my first read from Historical Romance author Kinley MacGregor, and boy did it not disappoint! Sin is the hero in this novel, and a brooding chivalrous specimen of fine musculinity he is. Caledonia MacNeeley is the heroine who is generous and fearless with a trustingly compassionate soul. The two are ordered to be joined in marriage by the English King, but neither have a desire to so. Sin because of his current distaste with the Scottish that began during his childhood, and Callie becau...more
Amy Sanders
Anna D.
I’m going through Sin withdrawal! The end of a book I love is always bittersweet for me…I was sad to see it end.

Sometimes I have a really hard time separating my love for a character from my love for a book/story. This is one of those times because as much as my head is telling me that the story was just good (a 3-4 stars, and not a 5) I have to give this book 5 stars (more if I could) because I LOVE Sin MacAllister’s character and I felt a 5-star worth of enjoyment from this book. I laughed ou...more
Kathy
Sanaa
It is a wonderful historical romance. it is heartbreaking, beautiful, sweet, inspiring, funny and sexy. The hero has amazing strength to bear the things that happened to him throughout life. He is alone...absolutely alone. No family, no clan, no one until Callie. She is spirited and their romance sweet.

Recommended to all those people who love a flawed hero and strong heroine.
Mysterious Creativity
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. ITS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS EVER TO BE WRITTEN. Sin was a virgin, unlike all those other books where the man is not and the girl is.
Callie was the best heroin there can be; definitely my favorite of all time.
Nicole
"I want your heart, Sin," she said, running her hand through his hair.

He pushed her dress down her body and removed her clothes until she was fully exposed to him. "It's battered and useless, but what remains of it is all yours, milady."

No one had ever spoken more beautiful words to her.

*swoons like the super-obsessed highlander lover that I am* I loved this book. You have a brutally tortured hero and a heroine that is determined to repair and win his heart. Sin literally tore my heart out. He r...more
babyfishmouth
Had all the elements I love in a romance; tortured hero, capable heroine, smart dialogue, denial or unwillingness to act on lust. Yet somehow it fell a little flat for me. I never got emotionally invested in either one. Maybe it was because the overall tone of the book was too light-hearted given the suffering Sin had experienced. There were some very funny scenes and exchanges between Callie and Sin that would immediately be followed by a few pages of Sin recalling past atrocities and reasons w...more
Kitty Felone
While the sex in this story is written wonderfully, the emotional turmoil of Sin MacAllister is fantastic. We see a strong man, emotionally and physically, and what moves him. We see the reason for his mannerism, his past and how it turned him into such a being, and how torn he is every day he is around Caledonia MacNeely, his forced wife. Most stories with such powerful men never show a tragic-enough background to explain the man's mentality; at least, not in this magnitude.

It was a very good s...more
Rachel Whitley
There are a lot of heroes that I love in books, but sadly, the heroines rarely stand out. "Born in Sin" can boast not only a hero that will capture your heart, but also a heroine you'll adore.

Sin broke my heart, with all that he'd endured in his young life! I have never wanted a happy ending for someone as badly as I wanted one for him!

I loved Callie, for her optimism and her bravery. This combination of strength and sweetness is the very best kind of heroine, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't wai...more
Eli Easton
An enjoyable 4 star read for me. The 'extremely damaged man finds love' scenario was enjoyable as well as the historical aspect with the Scot's and King Henry. The romance was pretty steamy. The sub plot with the raider was well done. Points off for excessive length, repetitive internal dialogue ('no, I can't possibly trust that she loves me' for 400 pages) and a tendency towards purple prose. It's clear this book was written some time ago. Still, obviously a romance classic and worth a read.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Sin has had a very harsh life; Unwanted by both his parents, sold and beaten many times, and trained to kill from a very young age. Caledonia is a beautiful and strong-willed scotswoman who has had lots of losses of loved ones in her life. King Henry forces them to marry to stop her clan from attacking the English. Neither of them are sure about the marriage, but they fall and fall hard for each other and stop the raider's attacks aftrer they discover his identity. Great read!!
April Dinucci
A sinister yet alluring knight, the kings pocket henchman, shrouded in mystery, with a severe chip on his shoulder. Sin, not british or Scotish by choice, is a wandering lost soul who happens upon a scotish damsel in distress who thaws his heart and lifts the fog his horrible life has been. A thuroughly enjoyable read simply because the lead character is so dark and mysterious, i highly recommended it to any of my hist/fic friends who love a scotsih burrr....
Stefanie
Sin never belonged anywhere. On the contrary.
He has lived through horrible conditions and he did unspeakable things. He has learned not to care about anything, not his past, nor his future. Until he meets Callie. There is something about her that speaks to some part of him that's hidden deep inside of him.

When King Henry demands they marry, Sin plans to leave her as soon as possile. He doens't think it's possible Callie would want to continue their marriage.
Callie sees something in Sin nobody e...more
Dangerous Hero Ad...: Brotherhood of the Sword - Kinley MacGregor 57 86 Mar 23, 2014 07:06PM
  • Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)
  • Highlander Unchained (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #3)
  • The Sinner (Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • Where's My Hero?  (Gamblers, #3 / Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5 / Splendid, #3.5)
  • His Secondhand Wife
  • To Wed A Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #2)
  • Untouched
  • If You Deceive (MacCarrick Brothers, #3)
  • The Scotsman
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2)
  • Sins of the Highlander
  • Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6) (MacEnroys, #1)
Sword of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #1) Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #2) Master of Desire (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #1) Taming the Scotsman (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #4) Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #2)

“I want your heart, Sin. (Callie)
It’s battered and useless, but what remains of it is all yours, milady. (Sin)”
32 likes
“Cyn? Short for Cynric? (Callie)
Nay. S-I-N. As in conceived, born in, and am currently living happily in. (Sin)”
26 likes