Start by marking “Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword #1)” as Want to Read:
Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword #1)

Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword/MacAllister #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  5,968 Ratings  ·  290 Reviews
A Dream of Desire Awakened...

Beautiful Lady Emily dreams of the rapture of love and the joys of marriage. The youngest daughter of an English lord at war, she is shaken by the arrival of a mysterious stranger to her father's castle. Could this breathtaking man be Emily's yearned-for lover? Indeed, Draven de Montague, Earl of Ravenswood, has come for Emily...but romance has
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published February 1st 2005 by Avon (first published February 1st 2001)

Alp
Jan 28, 2016 Alp rated it really liked it
At first, I thought this book’s blurb didn’t sound like my kind of thing. To tell the truth, if I had never known that Kinley MacGregor is the pen name of Sherrilyn Kenyon, I would probably have never contemplated reading this book. As I always say, historical romance isn't one of my top genres, but Master Of Desire took me by surprise! I felt truly lucky that I chose to pick up this book. The story was very well-written and descriptive. As soon as I started reading it, I was pulled into the ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I've read a TON of Sherrilyn Kenyon books (Hello! The Dark Hunter series ate up about a year of my life!), so I figured it was time to try her other series under her historical romance pen name. While this was a fun, sexy read, it also touched upon a few of my big pet peeves.

To start, this was really insta-lovey. GAH! Insta-love is the worst, am I right? I didn't get why Draven and Emily were so enamored with one another after just a short period of time. Please, more relationship buildup next
Shawna
Jan 15, 2012 Shawna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of tortured heroes & plucky heroines
Shelves: auth-sherrilynkenyonkinleymacgregor, favorites, i-read-own-faves-keepers, historical-romance, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, favorite-romance-series, hero-i-wanna-marry, friends-to-lovers, offlimits-bf-likekidsister-jailbait, sizable-packages, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, historical-romance-medieval-misc, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-limp-paraplegic-wheelchair, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-beholder, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-warrior, star-crossed-lovers, i-read-kindle, kindle, 5-stars, steam-3-hot, steam-4-smokin, hero-brooding, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, best-endings-epilogues, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, heroine-desperately-seeking-husband, hero-nice-guy-gets-the-girl, hero-black-sheep, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, heartwarming, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, 2012-reads, best-fave-reads-of-2012, heroine-free-spirit-quirky, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, heroine-in-pursuit, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, series-brotherhood-macallisters, hero-starchy-loosen-up-buttons-babe, hero-uber-tortured-zsadist-esque
5 stars – Historical/Medieval Romance

Oh how I enjoyed this one! Yes, it’s got the tried and true romance cliché of a brooding, tortured hero who doesn’t believe himself worthy of happiness or love fighting his intense lust for the spirited maiden who’s determined to convince him otherwise. But Master of Desire manages to standout splendidly with its endearing, unforgettable characters, witty dialogue, and the perfect mix of angst, humor, sweetness, and heat.

Draven is such a sigh-worthy hero.
Dina
Jan 27, 2011 Dina rated it it was amazing
This book is going straight to my keepers shelf! :)

I loved everything about it: Draven (a tortured hero I just wanted to hold and never let go), Emily (a spunky heroine determined to win the heros heart), Simon (the most adorable second character Ive met) and, last but not least, the story (it made me laugh and it made me cry, what more could I ask for?)
LibraryLass
Great book! 4.5 stars for this one. Had a bit of everything I like, esp. humour. I loved Emily, the heroine, she knew what she wanted and went after him without being shrewish or manipulative. Her character remained consistent all through the story. This is not always the case. Authors change their characters to suit their purpose in their stories. But both Emily and Draven remained true.

I loved Draven! I thought he was an honourable hero who could park his shoes under my bed any time! His tortu
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
This is the first book by Kinley MacGregor I have ever read! I fall in love with the story, I loved Draven and Emily. I love the way the story flow that keeps me hooked. I loved the epilogue, it's make me sad to see this story end. I just want more and more.

It's a must read to those who loved Highlander and medieval story.

** SK, I love you but I love you more as Kinley MacGregor **
TJ
Jan 25, 2011 TJ rated it liked it
A fun escape, although I am getting terribly tired of the horrendously overused plot device of "he swore never to let a woman close to his heart again".
Iliada
There's no getting around it - simply put, I did not like this book.

It's all about the characters for me when it comes to books. It used to be about the story but after reading for years any romance book I could get my hands on like there's no tomorrow I can honestly say I've seen it all in this genre. Maybe this is an overstatement, but it's definitely hard for a book to suprise me - and that's okay. Like I said it's all about the characters now.

I'm sorry to say that there was no interesting tr
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Brotherhood of the Sword/MacAllister series by Kinley MacGregor (aka Sherrilyn Kenyon). Draven de Montague, Earl of Ravenswood, is given Lady Emily, his adversary's daughter, as his ward for one year by the king. No harm or shame is to touch the lady while in his care. But Lady Emily wants a husband and decides that Draven would do just fine. While Draven strives to avoid and ignore her, Lady Emily is doing her best to make sure Draven doesn't.

It was a good read but I want
Chloe Friend
Aug 30, 2015 Chloe Friend rated it it was amazing
Adored! However, I felt the ending was slightly rushed! Over all, a really good read!
Best_beloved
Oct 09, 2008 Best_beloved rated it really liked it
First let me admit a bias: I don’t like Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark-Hunter series. I’ve tried it, don’t like it. So, when I realized that Kinley Macgregor was Sherrilyn Kenyon, well, I was peeved. Now, with that in mind, I have to say I liked the book. It was good.

The basic set up is that Emily, the female protagonist, is forced to live with Draven (Yes, I know, the names scream 1990’s, but go with it) to stop the fighting between their two families. It’s a cliché, but Kinley Macgregor aka Sherrily
Zoe
Dec 23, 2015 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to say about this book. It was really boring. Draven, the dark warrior, and Emily, the fair maiden, they were not supposed to love each other but they did, yada yada yada. What can I say? I have read many books with similar plots. Honestly there is litte new under the sun. I don't mind some cliche. But this was not a successful use of cliches.

Maybe it is me being in a rather unromantic phase right now. I can't seem to feel the chemistry in any romances I have read recently. Dr
Katie Michaels
Draven of Ravenswood is a man hardened into a warrior by a cruel father. His name is whispered; his reputation, that of a relentless demon on the battlefield. He trusts no one, except for his brother Simon and cherishes nothing except his honor.

Someone has been pillaging his lands and he suspects his neighbor, Hugh. The same thing is happening to Hugh and he suspects Draven. So they take their grievances to the king. His majesty decides to send Hugh’s daughter to live with Draven for a year. Th
Nina Ivanova
Full review/Цялото ревю - click, click

Следпрочитно:
Едно нещо признах на Кениън/МакГрегър още при първата ни среща - умее да заплита страхотни завръзки. Тази книга не е изключение - като майсторка сватовница авторката събира двамата си герои и оттук нататък започва да плете тяхната история.
Не съм чела много любовни романи от този исторически период, и това допълнително провокира интереса ми. (Особено след като изградих в ума си преграда, която да спира в съзнанието ми въпросите относно хигиената
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Anna D.
Jul 16, 2013 Anna D. rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT! I love the world Kinley MacGregor created here and I’m giddy with excitement for this series!!! Thank you Kinley MacGregor/Sherrilyn Kenyon! MacGregor writes heroes and heroines I adore. She also writes with the style of humor, banter, emotions, and sensuality that I favor. I haven’t been this excited for a series since I discovered Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton siblings –wait, not true..i also loved the Lisa Kleypas' Hathaway tribe - and now I have a band of brothers that are once again ...more
Laura V.
Muy Bella y Bestia.. Solo que la Bella se ganó a la Bestia por cansancio. Mal jugado, chiquita.

Mi gran problema con este libro tiene nombre y es EMILY. No lo dice de manera explícita, pero sentí que como personaje no aportaba nada en ningún lado. Una completa inútil que no hace nada de nada, salvo acosar a diestra y siniestra a Draven. No es señora de la casa, no es señora de sus habitaciones, no ha levantando un dedo en todo el libro y difícilmente hace algo. Cose, pero nunca se dice qué exact
Quinn
Aug 29, 2015 Quinn rated it really liked it
Lady Emily despairs of ever having the opportunity to find a husband and have the family she dreams of. She has been kept a virtual prisoner in her home due to a well-meaning but overprotective father.

Draven, Earl of Ravenswood has had an extraordinarily difficult childhood and carries the emotional and physical scars. He believes himself cursed and, with the exception of his brother Simon, does not allow anyone to get close to him.

When the King orders Draven to take in Emily, the daughter of hi
Netanella
This was a fun, light-hearted romp that wasn't exactly historically accurate in the way the characters were portrayed or behaved, but the smart dialogue and engaging characters kept me interested and entertained.

All Emily wants to do is find love and start a family, but overprotective Daddy won't let her out of the castle, or allow any suitable suitors inside, since his wife and two daughters died years ago while in the family way. Instead, Daddy has started a feud with his neighbor, the noble
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, historical, series
...and Emily wants Draven de Montague, the Earl of Ravenswood.

Draven and Emily's father are enemies, and by decree from the king, Emily is to live under Draven's roof for in one year in order to stop the fighting between the two lords. Draven is not to touch her (in violence or lust). It is Draven's belief that he will have no problem keeping his hands to himself until he meets Emily!

Emily wants Draven, (in the biblical sense), from the first moment they meet. I love this twist because so ofte
Readitnweep
Ana M. Román
Jun 23, 2014 Ana M. Román rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfecto. Son pocos los libros a los que no cambiarías ni una coma y cuando te encuentras con uno de ellos hay que saber valorarlos en su justa medida. Este es uno de ellos.

En realidad, no se sale del tópico: héroe atormentado pero bueno, heroína valiente, decidida y dispuesta a guiar su vida y conseguir aquello que quiere, que en este caso viene siendo al héroe.
Pero a pesar de no salirse de los tópicos está tan maravillosamente bien contado y con un increíble sentido del humor que hace que disf
Noelle
May 31, 2007 Noelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: ridiculous, romance
Ok, I HAD to read a book with a title like this. And it was a typical, run-of-the-mill romance. I'd give it one star except for a scene where the heroine tells jokes to make the hero laugh.

“Milord?” she asked Draven. “Know you how many Byzantines it takes to light a fire?” His look hovered between boredom and skepticism as he reached for his goblet. “I cannot imagine.” “Two,” she said simply. “One to start the fire and one to confuse the issue.”

“How many Norsemen does it take to light a fire?” “
†Ðawn†
I really enjoyed this one, although slightly predictable. I am not one to get too hung up about historical accuracy as long as the story is relativly believeable and entertaining, which IMO this was. I love the hero and truly felt sorry for his tortured past. The heronie is likable and I love her determination on winning the hero's heart. I do feel the author pushed the limits with the drawing out of the two's coming together. Perhaps there should have been more than the oath involved with ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Sep 14, 2013 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it it was amazing
Poor Draven believes that he can't have love or happiness because he thinks he has inherited his fathers volatile and lethal temper. Emily has been sheltered her whole life until King Henry orders her to live with Draven for a year to stop the animosity between him and her father. She wants a husband and family, and regardless of how much he protests or tries to avoid her they fall in love and he realizes that he is nothing like his father. So sweet. Great read!!
Linda
Jul 29, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highland-books
Could not put this book down, absolutely loved the interaction between Draven and Emily . The book had everything , romance , intrigue suspense and an ending I loved.Can not wait to start the next one.
Elaine
Jun 24, 2016 Elaine rated it liked it
A good story overall but nothing special. Not a book that I'd re-read over and over again but I enjoyed it. I probably won't remember it after a while.
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
This was a poignant, sweet, hilarious and romantic tale.
Janja
Jun 18, 2016 Janja rated it really liked it
Interesting story where the role of seduction are upside down.
Looking forward for the next one.
PepperP0t
In an effort to rid himself of the relentless squabbles, petitions, complaints, dislike and distrust of two of his Earls, King Henry has come up with a plan to settle them both. Lady Emily Kensington, daughter of the least trustworthy of the two Earls would be a ward of the second Earl for one year. While not pleased with this solution, Draven de Montague, Earl of Ravenswood, realizes this will be the only satisfaction he will get for now.

Emily's life has been extremely sheltered. Her father wo
  • Ravished by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #1)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • Highlander Unchained (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #3)
  • The Highlander's Bride (The McTiernays, #1)
  • Master of Torment (Blood Sword Legacy, #2)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Devil of the Highlands (Devil of the Highlands, #1)
  • The Guardian (Return of the Highlanders #1)

Brotherhood of the Sword/MacAllister (7 books)
  • Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood of the Sword #2/MacAllister, #1)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • Taming the Scotsman (Brotherhood of the Sword #4/MacAllister, #3)
  • A Dark Champion (Brotherhood of the Sword #5)
  • Return of the Warrior (Brotherhood of the Sword #6)
  • The Warrior (Brotherhood of the Sword #7/MacAllister Series, #4)

“Do you know what a friend is, milord? (Emily)
An enemy in disguise. (Draven)”
11 likes
“(Emily frowned, then turned about in her saddle to scan the inner bailey.)
Milady? What do you seek? (Simon)
A marker announcing this as the gate to Hades. (Emily)”
10 likes