Master of Desire (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #1)

Master of Desire (Brotherhood/MacAllister #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  4,338 ratings  ·  189 reviews
A Dream of Desire Awakened...

Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published July 26th 2005 by Avon (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Master of Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master of Desire

Lover Awakened by J.R. WardAcheron by Sherrilyn KenyonLover Unbound by J.R. WardDance with the Devil by Sherrilyn KenyonJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Best Tortured Heroes in Fiction
52nd out of 501 books — 574 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
216th out of 2,010 books — 3,803 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawna
Jan 15, 2012 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of tortured heroes & plucky heroines
Shelves: historical-romance, sherrilyn-kenyon-kinley-macgregor, heroine-in-pursuit, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, series-brotherhood-macallisters, 2012-reads, 5-stars, a-all-time-fave-heroine, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-beholder, best-endings-epilogues, best-faves-of-2012, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, favorites, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, friends-to-lovers, heartwarming, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-black-sheep, hero-brooding, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-i-wanna-marry, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-nice-guy-gets-the-girl, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, heroine-free-spirit-quirky, heroine-i-adore, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-limp-paraplegic-wheelchair, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, hh-warrior, historical-romance-medieval-misc, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, i-read-kindle, i-read-own-faves-keepers, kindle, offlimits-bf-likekidsister-jailbait, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, sizable-packages, star-crossed-lovers, steam-3-hot, steam-4-smokin, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, heroine-desperately-seeking-husband, favorite-romance-series, hero-starchy-loosen-up-buttons-babe, hero-uber-tortured-zsadist-esque
5 stars – Historical/Medieval Romance

Oh how I enjoyed this one! Yes, it’s got the tried and true romance cliché of a brooding, tortured hero who doesn’t believe himself worthy of happiness or love fighting his intense lust for the spirited maiden who’s determined to convince him otherwise. But Master of Desire manages to standout splendidly with its endearing, unforgettable characters, witty dialogue, and the perfect mix of angst, humor, sweetness, and heat.

Draven is such a sigh-worthy hero. I...more
LibraryLass
Great book! 4.5 stars for this one. Had a bit of everything I like, esp. humour. I loved Emily, the heroine, she knew what she wanted and went after him without being shrewish or manipulative. Her character remained consistent all through the story. This is not always the case. Authors change their characters to suit their purpose in their stories. But both Emily and Draven remained true.

I loved Draven! I thought he was an honourable hero who could park his shoes under my bed any time! His tortu...more
Dina
This book is going straight to my keepers shelf! :)

I loved everything about it: Draven (a tortured hero I just wanted to hold and never let go), Emily (a spunky heroine determined to win the hero´s heart), Simon (the most adorable second character I´ve met) and, last but not least, the story (it made me laugh and it made me cry, what more could I ask for?)
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
This is the first book by Kinley MacGregor I have ever read! I fall in love with the story, I loved Draven and Emily. I love the way the story flow that keeps me hooked. I loved the epilogue, it's make me sad to see this story end. I just want more and more.

It's a must read to those who loved Highlander and medieval story.

** SK, I love you but I love you more as Kinley MacGregor **
TJ
A fun escape, although I am getting terribly tired of the horrendously overused plot device of "he swore never to let a woman close to his heart again".
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Draven of Ravenswood is a man hardened into a warrior by a cruel father. His name is whispered; his reputation, that of a relentless demon on the battlefield. He trusts no one, except for his brother Simon and cherishes nothing except his honor.

Someone has been pillaging his lands and he suspects his neighbor, Hugh. The same thing is happening to Hugh and he suspects Draven. So they take their grievances to the king. His majesty decides to send Hugh’s daughter to live with Draven for a year. Th...more
Best_beloved
First let me admit a bias: I don’t like Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark-Hunter series. I’ve tried it, don’t like it. So, when I realized that Kinley Macgregor was Sherrilyn Kenyon, well, I was peeved. Now, with that in mind, I have to say I liked the book. It was good.

The basic set up is that Emily, the female protagonist, is forced to live with Draven (Yes, I know, the names scream 1990’s, but go with it) to stop the fighting between their two families. It’s a cliché, but Kinley Macgregor aka Sherrily...more
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Quinn
Lady Emily despairs of ever having the opportunity to find a husband and have the family she dreams of. She has been kept a virtual prisoner in her home due to a well-meaning but overprotective father.

Draven, Earl of Ravenswood has had an extraordinarily difficult childhood and carries the emotional and physical scars. He believes himself cursed and, with the exception of his brother Simon, does not allow anyone to get close to him.

When the King orders Draven to take in Emily, the daughter of hi...more
Crista
...and Emily wants Draven de Montague, the Earl of Ravenswood.

Draven and Emily's father are enemies, and by decree from the king, Emily is to live under Draven's roof for in one year in order to stop the fighting between the two lords. Draven is not to touch her (in violence or lust). It is Draven's belief that he will have no problem keeping his hands to himself until he meets Emily!

Emily wants Draven, (in the biblical sense), from the first moment they meet. I love this twist because so ofte...more
Readitnweep
Noelle
Ok, I HAD to read a book with a title like this. And it was a typical, run-of-the-mill romance. I'd give it one star except for a scene where the heroine tells jokes to make the hero laugh.

“Milord?” she asked Draven. “Know you how many Byzantines it takes to light a fire?” His look hovered between boredom and skepticism as he reached for his goblet. “I cannot imagine.” “Two,” she said simply. “One to start the fire and one to confuse the issue.”

“How many Norsemen does it take to light a fire?” “...more
Greentea
A historical romance that is realistically paced, romance that is grown in time, and characters that make you laugh and gush; these are what made Master of Desire to be a pleasure read.

Emily was sent to Draven for a year to build peace. She wanted to get away from her father’s strictness that she desired Draven to fall in love with her. Her goal from the start was to seduce him and she did it with grace. She was not overbearing and manipulative. Her banters with Draven were light and humorous th...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Poor Draven believes that he can't have love or happiness because he thinks he has inherited his fathers volatile and lethal temper. Emily has been sheltered her whole life until King Henry orders her to live with Draven for a year to stop the animosity between him and her father. She wants a husband and family, and regardless of how much he protests or tries to avoid her they fall in love and he realizes that he is nothing like his father. So sweet. Great read!!
Katya
Becca
This book was a fun read; in fact, I stayed up late last night so I could finish it! This is my second book by Kinley Macgregor and I have to say I am hooked. Anachronisms (e.g., he was six foot four) and cheesy sexual tension build up (which let's be honest I still enjoy) aside, I felt that this book was very well done. The heroine, Emily, was a spunky woman I'd want to have as a friend. Authors often create characters with spunk that either come across as shrewish or stupid, but not Macgregor....more
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
In an effort to rid himself of the relentless squabbles, petitions, complaints, dislike and distrust of two of his Earls, King Henry has come up with a plan to settle them both. Lady Emily Kensington, daughter of the least trustworthy of the two Earls would be a ward of the second Earl for one year. While not pleased with this solution, Draven de Montague, Earl of Ravenswood, realizes this will be the only satisfaction he will get for now.

Emily's life has been extremely sheltered. Her father wo...more
HÜLYA
Arzunun Efendisi-Kinley MacGregor

Olağanüstü büyüleyici bir kalem ile tanıştım Kinley MacGregor Arzunun Efendisi Orijinal adı Master of Desire yan serisi ile 7 kitaplık bir seri olduğunu gördüm..Ne kadar doğru bilemesemde büyüleyici bir yazar ile tanıştım..Emeği geçen herkese teşekkür ediyorum..
Çocukluğunda tanık olmaması gereken bir olaya tanık olan Rawenwood Kontu Draven De Montague kalbi gözünün önünde annesi öldürüldükten sonra atmıyordu ve yüzü gülmüyordu şadece görev ve şeref için yaşayan.....more
Serpil Kır
Kinley MacGregor__Arzunun Efendisi...Son zamanlarda okuduğum en en en güzel kitaplardan bir tanesiydi...Ama her güzel şey gibi bu da bitti...

Yer yer kahkahalarla güldüğüm ( bu kısım daha ağır basıyor) ve yer yer de Draven'e deli gibi üzüldüğüm,karmakarışık duygular bırakan bir kitap oldu...her karakteri ayrı sevdim...Şaka gibi :)) kral Henry'i bile sevdim :)) ama en en en çok da Dravenin kardeşi Simonu sevdim...

Ben şimdiden onun kitabının hayalini kurmaktayım...Elbette tek duam,her kardeşin başı...more
Shiran
Master of Desire is the story of Draven de Montague, Earl of Ravenswood and Lady Emily. Draven is a Knight who lives his life for the King and his people. His enemy, Hugh, has accused him of raiding his land when Draven well knows that Hugh is the one raiding his land. To end the dispute the King sends Hugh's daughter Emily to live with Draven for a year. Hugh is a highly over protective father having lost 2 daughters and his wife in childbirth, he refuses to let any man near them, so this decis...more
Anna D.
I LOVED IT! I love the world Kinley MacGregor created here and I’m giddy with excitement for this series!!! Thank you Kinley MacGregor/Sherrilyn Kenyon! MacGregor writes heroes and heroines I adore. She also writes with the style of humor, banter, emotions, and sensuality that I favor. I haven’t been this excited for a series since I discovered Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton siblings –wait, not true..i also loved the Lisa Kleypas' Hathaway tribe - and now I have a band of brothers that are once again...more
LJ
Master of Desire - VG
MacGregor, Kinley (aka Sherrilyn Kenyon) - 1st in MacAllisters series

Beautiful Lady Emily dreams of the rapture of love and the joys of marriage. The youngest daughter of an English lord at war, she is shaken by the arrival of a mysterious stranger to her father's castle. Could this breathtaking man be Emily's yearned-for lover? Indeed, Draven de Montague, Earl of Ravenswood, has come for Emily...but romance has nothing to do with it.In the Tender Embrace of an Enemy

Draven w...more
Crazy4more
4 stars

If you're looking for a light, fun, sweet and romantic read, you'll find it in this book.

Due to constant attacks between Hugh and Draven, King Henry had no choice but forced the two to exchange something most precious to them for one year. To Draven, his word of honor bc wealth, fear and death were worthless to this fierce warrior. To Hugh, his youngest daughter, Lady Emily. Draven promised to protect Emily with his life and never to touch her. Easy task for Draven until he was confronte...more
Hannah Lien
Jun 22, 2014 Hannah Lien rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of romance novels, fans of brooding heroes, those that like medieval settings
My friend is an avid romance-reader and this is her favorite. After hearing about it for years, I finally borrowed and read it. It was a bit cheesy and sometimes the characters' actions wouldn't make much sense, but I found the narrative to be interesting enough and Emily, the heroine is very enjoyable. I did however not care much for the hero, Draven.

*Spoilers Beneath*

I'm well aware that romance heroes tend to be on the brooding side, but Draven was beyond that, and to the point of irrationalit...more
Nesli
Kitabı çok severek okudum. Bu aralar okuduğum historical romansların içinde sevdiklerim arasında Arzunun Efendisi. Draven yani Ravenswood Kontu, babası gibi olduğunu düşünmekte, herkesten uzak durmakta ve kendi yalnızlığında boğulmaktadır. Ancak Kral Henry'nin karşısına, topraklarında çıkan bir yağmalama yüzünden çıkınca başına gerçekten bir bela alır. Çünkü halkına zarar veren adamın kızı 1 yıl süresince onun koruması altında kalacak, Draven kıza zarar verirse bu onun ölümü olacaktır. Draven'ın...more
Tuba Özkat
Çooook güzel bir kitaptı :) Son sahnede gözüm ne kadar korkmuş olsa da hikayenin akışı çooook güzeldi :) Özellikle Draven'in kızın kendisini sevdiğine bir türlü ikna olamaması, anlam verememesi burkan cinstendi. Babası ölmese ben öldürecek hale geldim. Seviliir, okunurr, yenirrr... D:

Bence ben kitabı bitirir bitirmez bu yorum kısmına girmemeliyim :)

I'm out.
Davina Bell
What a beautiful romance novel!!! I really like the way Ms. MacGregor writes. I liked the way the story flowed and how the characters were easy to relate to. At times it was very hard to put down!!! It was an easy and quick read. I would recommend this novel to anyone who like romance novels, especially of the historical variety!! :D
Barbara M.
No luck with this one either...Just the same ole' same ole'...nothing great or even review worthy...Hopefully better luck next time (and considering I bought all in the series BEFORE I read the first one then lets hope they get a little better!)
Germaine Lefebvre
Ecco l'uomo che tutte le donne sognano al proprio fianco: l'uomo col durello perenne per 1 mese (o anche più).
Ridicolo involontario, nonostante tutta la volonta' dell'autrice nel voler rifare "A Kingdom of Dreams" di McNaught.
Linda
Could not put this book down, absolutely loved the interaction between Draven and Emily . The book had everything , romance , intrigue suspense and an ending I loved.Can not wait to start the next one.
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Highlander Untamed (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #1)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • The Highlander's Bride (McTiernay Brothers, #1)
  • Where's My Hero?  (Gamblers, #3 / Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5 / Splendid, #3.5)
  • Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
  • Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers,  #1)
  • To Conquer a Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • If You Dare (MacCarrick Brothers, #1)
  • The Guardian (Return of the Highlanders #1)
  • Master of Craving (Blood Sword Legacy, #3)
  • Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie, #1)
Sword of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #1) Born in Sin (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #3) Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #2) Taming the Scotsman (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #4) Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #2)

“Do you know what a friend is, milord? (Emily)
An enemy in disguise. (Draven)”
10 likes
“(Emily frowned, then turned about in her saddle to scan the inner bailey.)
Milady? What do you seek? (Simon)
A marker announcing this as the gate to Hades. (Emily)”
7 likes