Start by marking “Master of Desire (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #1)” as Want to Read:
Master of Desire (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #1)

Master of Desire (Brotherhood/MacAllister #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  5,057 ratings  ·  233 reviews
A Dream of Desire Awakened...

Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published July 26th 2005 by Avon (first published 2001)

Lover Awakened by J.R. WardAcheron by Sherrilyn KenyonDance with the Devil by Sherrilyn KenyonLover Unbound by J.R. WardJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Best Tortured Heroes in Fiction
53rd out of 554 books — 642 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
224th out of 2,346 books — 4,325 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawna
Jan 15, 2012 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of tortured heroes & plucky heroines
Shelves: historical-romance, auth-sherrilynkenyonkinleymacgregor, heroine-in-pursuit, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, series-brotherhood-macallisters, 2012-reads, 5-stars, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-beholder, best-endings-epilogues, best-fave-reads-of-2012, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, favorites, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, friends-to-lovers, heartwarming, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-black-sheep, hero-brooding, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-i-wanna-marry, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-nice-guy-gets-the-girl, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, heroine-free-spirit-quirky, heroine-i-adore, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-limp-paraplegic-wheelchair, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, hh-warrior, historical-romance-medieval-misc, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, i-read-kindle, i-read-own-faves-keepers, kindle, offlimits-bf-likekidsister-jailbait, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, sizable-packages, star-crossed-lovers, steam-3-hot, steam-4-smokin, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, heroine-desperately-seeking-husband, favorite-romance-series, hero-starchy-loosen-up-buttons-babe, hero-uber-tortured-zsadist-esque
5 stars – Historical/Medieval Romance

Oh how I enjoyed this one! Yes, it’s got the tried and true romance cliché of a brooding, tortured hero who doesn’t believe himself worthy of happiness or love fighting his intense lust for the spirited maiden who’s determined to convince him otherwise. But Master of Desire manages to standout splendidly with its endearing, unforgettable characters, witty dialogue, and the perfect mix of angst, humor, sweetness, and heat.

Draven is such a sigh-worthy hero.
Dina
This book is going straight to my keepers shelf! :)

I loved everything about it: Draven (a tortured hero I just wanted to hold and never let go), Emily (a spunky heroine determined to win the heros heart), Simon (the most adorable second character Ive met) and, last but not least, the story (it made me laugh and it made me cry, what more could I ask for?)
LibraryLass
Great book! 4.5 stars for this one. Had a bit of everything I like, esp. humour. I loved Emily, the heroine, she knew what she wanted and went after him without being shrewish or manipulative. Her character remained consistent all through the story. This is not always the case. Authors change their characters to suit their purpose in their stories. But both Emily and Draven remained true.

I loved Draven! I thought he was an honourable hero who could park his shoes under my bed any time! His tortu
TJ
A fun escape, although I am getting terribly tired of the horrendously overused plot device of "he swore never to let a woman close to his heart again".
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
This is the first book by Kinley MacGregor I have ever read! I fall in love with the story, I loved Draven and Emily. I love the way the story flow that keeps me hooked. I loved the epilogue, it's make me sad to see this story end. I just want more and more.

It's a must read to those who loved Highlander and medieval story.

** SK, I love you but I love you more as Kinley MacGregor **
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Price drop to $1.99 at Amazon US, 6/8/15
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Draven of Ravenswood is a man hardened into a warrior by a cruel father. His name is whispered; his reputation, that of a relentless demon on the battlefield. He trusts no one, except for his brother Simon and cherishes nothing except his honor.

Someone has been pillaging his lands and he suspects his neighbor, Hugh. The same thing is happening to Hugh and he suspects Draven. So they take their grievances to the king. His majesty decides to send Hugh’s daughter to live with Draven for a year. Th
Best_beloved
First let me admit a bias: I don’t like Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark-Hunter series. I’ve tried it, don’t like it. So, when I realized that Kinley Macgregor was Sherrilyn Kenyon, well, I was peeved. Now, with that in mind, I have to say I liked the book. It was good.

The basic set up is that Emily, the female protagonist, is forced to live with Draven (Yes, I know, the names scream 1990’s, but go with it) to stop the fighting between their two families. It’s a cliché, but Kinley Macgregor aka Sherrily
Nina Ivanova
Full review/Цялото ревю - click, click

Следпрочитно:
Едно нещо признах на Кениън/МакГрегър още при първата ни среща - умее да заплита страхотни завръзки. Тази книга не е изключение - като майсторка сватовница авторката събира двамата си герои и оттук нататък започва да плете тяхната история.
Не съм чела много любовни романи от този исторически период, и това допълнително провокира интереса ми. (Особено след като изградих в ума си преграда, която да спира в съзнанието ми въпросите относно хигиената
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Deanna Against Censorship
In this book one can see that MacGregor (i.e. Sherrilyn Kenyon) was well on her way to being a great writer. (Kenyon's Acheron is as close to a perfect novel as a novel can be.)

Characters: Well drawn with believable actions for their time and personal history. Scenery: Described so that it hits the brain with images and delight. Emotions: Honest and understandable for the characters. Story: Filled with emotion, laughter, trust, growth and tenderness. Love: Given to time to grown between Draven
Quinn
Lady Emily despairs of ever having the opportunity to find a husband and have the family she dreams of. She has been kept a virtual prisoner in her home due to a well-meaning but overprotective father.

Draven, Earl of Ravenswood has had an extraordinarily difficult childhood and carries the emotional and physical scars. He believes himself cursed and, with the exception of his brother Simon, does not allow anyone to get close to him.

When the King orders Draven to take in Emily, the daughter of hi
Anna D.
I LOVED IT! I love the world Kinley MacGregor created here and I’m giddy with excitement for this series!!! Thank you Kinley MacGregor/Sherrilyn Kenyon! MacGregor writes heroes and heroines I adore. She also writes with the style of humor, banter, emotions, and sensuality that I favor. I haven’t been this excited for a series since I discovered Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton siblings –wait, not true..i also loved the Lisa Kleypas' Hathaway tribe - and now I have a band of brothers that are once again ...more
Crista
...and Emily wants Draven de Montague, the Earl of Ravenswood.

Draven and Emily's father are enemies, and by decree from the king, Emily is to live under Draven's roof for in one year in order to stop the fighting between the two lords. Draven is not to touch her (in violence or lust). It is Draven's belief that he will have no problem keeping his hands to himself until he meets Emily!

Emily wants Draven, (in the biblical sense), from the first moment they meet. I love this twist because so ofte
Readitnweep
Noelle
Ok, I HAD to read a book with a title like this. And it was a typical, run-of-the-mill romance. I'd give it one star except for a scene where the heroine tells jokes to make the hero laugh.

“Milord?” she asked Draven. “Know you how many Byzantines it takes to light a fire?” His look hovered between boredom and skepticism as he reached for his goblet. “I cannot imagine.” “Two,” she said simply. “One to start the fire and one to confuse the issue.”

“How many Norsemen does it take to light a fire?” “
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Poor Draven believes that he can't have love or happiness because he thinks he has inherited his fathers volatile and lethal temper. Emily has been sheltered her whole life until King Henry orders her to live with Draven for a year to stop the animosity between him and her father. She wants a husband and family, and regardless of how much he protests or tries to avoid her they fall in love and he realizes that he is nothing like his father. So sweet. Great read!!
Katya
Caroline Yamashita
Era uma vez dois vizinhos brigando...
O Rei ordenou: a filha de um na companhia do outro, para proteger de todo o mal, por um ano!
Quem ousasse desobedecer o Rei, seria enforcado, esquartejado, etc... hahahaha
Mas, ninguém imaginava que a Filha do Hugh, Emily, estaria obstinada a seduzir e se casar com Draven.
Este, porém não pode cair na tentação. Por um lado o rei o matará por isso, e por outro, tem a maldição dos condes de Ravenswood.
Mas Emily não está de brincadeira, diz em alto e bom som: Drav
Jisela
La novela tiene una trama algo común: Ella, la hija consentida y en exceso protegida, pura, virginal aunque con un carácter rebelde y testarudo que se enamora locamente de él, un hombre con un atractivo oscuro y peligroso, dueño la peor reputación, con un pasado en extremo doloroso y solitario, por lo que tiene algo más que baja autoestima. Sin embargo, no es nada predecible, al contrario, esta novela es todo un sancocho de sorpresas agradables, sucesos inesperados y supremamente graciosos que l ...more
Becca
This book was a fun read; in fact, I stayed up late last night so I could finish it! This is my second book by Kinley Macgregor and I have to say I am hooked. Anachronisms (e.g., he was six foot four) and cheesy sexual tension build up (which let's be honest I still enjoy) aside, I felt that this book was very well done. The heroine, Emily, was a spunky woman I'd want to have as a friend. Authors often create characters with spunk that either come across as shrewish or stupid, but not Macgregor. ...more
Greentea
A historical romance that is realistically paced, romance that is grown in time, and characters that make you laugh and gush; these are what made Master of Desire to be a pleasure read.

Emily was sent to Draven for a year to build peace. She wanted to get away from her father’s strictness that she desired Draven to fall in love with her. Her goal from the start was to seduce him and she did it with grace. She was not overbearing and manipulative. Her banters with Draven were light and humorous th
PepperP0t
In an effort to rid himself of the relentless squabbles, petitions, complaints, dislike and distrust of two of his Earls, King Henry has come up with a plan to settle them both. Lady Emily Kensington, daughter of the least trustworthy of the two Earls would be a ward of the second Earl for one year. While not pleased with this solution, Draven de Montague, Earl of Ravenswood, realizes this will be the only satisfaction he will get for now.

Emily's life has been extremely sheltered. Her father wo
HÜLYA
Arzunun Efendisi-Kinley MacGregor

Olağanüstü büyüleyici bir kalem ile tanıştım Kinley MacGregor Arzunun Efendisi Orijinal adı Master of Desire yan serisi ile 7 kitaplık bir seri olduğunu gördüm..Ne kadar doğru bilemesemde büyüleyici bir yazar ile tanıştım..Emeği geçen herkese teşekkür ediyorum..
Çocukluğunda tanık olmaması gereken bir olaya tanık olan Rawenwood Kontu Draven De Montague kalbi gözünün önünde annesi öldürüldükten sonra atmıyordu ve yüzü gülmüyordu şadece görev ve şeref için yaşayan..
Serpil Kır
Kinley MacGregor__Arzunun Efendisi...Son zamanlarda okuduğum en en en güzel kitaplardan bir tanesiydi...Ama her güzel şey gibi bu da bitti...

Yer yer kahkahalarla güldüğüm ( bu kısım daha ağır basıyor) ve yer yer de Draven'e deli gibi üzüldüğüm,karmakarışık duygular bırakan bir kitap oldu...her karakteri ayrı sevdim...Şaka gibi :)) kral Henry'i bile sevdim :)) ama en en en çok da Dravenin kardeşi Simonu sevdim...

Ben şimdiden onun kitabının hayalini kurmaktayım...Elbette tek duam,her kardeşin başı
Shiran
Master of Desire is the story of Draven de Montague, Earl of Ravenswood and Lady Emily. Draven is a Knight who lives his life for the King and his people. His enemy, Hugh, has accused him of raiding his land when Draven well knows that Hugh is the one raiding his land. To end the dispute the King sends Hugh's daughter Emily to live with Draven for a year. Hugh is a highly over protective father having lost 2 daughters and his wife in childbirth, he refuses to let any man near them, so this decis ...more
LJ
Master of Desire - VG
MacGregor, Kinley (aka Sherrilyn Kenyon) - 1st in MacAllisters series

Beautiful Lady Emily dreams of the rapture of love and the joys of marriage. The youngest daughter of an English lord at war, she is shaken by the arrival of a mysterious stranger to her father's castle. Could this breathtaking man be Emily's yearned-for lover? Indeed, Draven de Montague, Earl of Ravenswood, has come for Emily...but romance has nothing to do with it.In the Tender Embrace of an Enemy

Draven w
Crazy4more
4 stars

If you're looking for a light, fun, sweet and romantic read, you'll find it in this book.

Due to constant attacks between Hugh and Draven, King Henry had no choice but forced the two to exchange something most precious to them for one year. To Draven, his word of honor bc wealth, fear and death were worthless to this fierce warrior. To Hugh, his youngest daughter, Lady Emily. Draven promised to protect Emily with his life and never to touch her. Easy task for Draven until he was confronte
Jenny
I love this book. Draven and Emily are lovable characters. Draven is your dark typical hero, a brooding knight with a heart of gold and Emily the sweetest funniest heroine I have ever read! I loved how honest she was and that she had no filter when it came to the thought/talk thing going on. Nice to see a heroine so determined to win the heart of a hero. Great chemistry and what a perfect ending for these two!
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Highland Outlaw (Campbell Trilogy, #2)
  • Where's My Hero?  (Gamblers, #3 / Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5 / Splendid, #3.5)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • The Highlander's Bride (The McTiernays, #1)
  • My Fierce Highlander (Highland Adventure, #1)
  • The Chieftain (Return of the Highlanders, #4)
  • Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #1)
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • Devil of the Highlands (Devil of the Highlands, #1)
  • Master of Torment (Blood Sword Legacy, #2)
  • How to Abduct a Highland Lord (MacLean Curse, #1)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)

Brotherhood/MacAllister (7 books)
  • Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #2)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #3)
  • Taming the Scotsman (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #4)
  • A Dark Champion (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #5)
  • Return of the Warrior (Brotherhood / MacAllister's #6)
  • The Warrior (Brotherhood/MacAllister Series, #7)
Sword of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #1) Born in Sin (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #3) Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #2) Taming the Scotsman (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #4) Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #2)

“Do you know what a friend is, milord? (Emily)
An enemy in disguise. (Draven)”
10 likes
“(Emily frowned, then turned about in her saddle to scan the inner bailey.)
Milady? What do you seek? (Simon)
A marker announcing this as the gate to Hades. (Emily)”
8 likes