Start by marking “The Shadow Wife” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Wife

Dorothy Eden

The Shadow Wife

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  11 reviews
There was something about the tall dynamic Dane that disturbed Luise Amberley. But he was so attentive, so charming, that she silenced the small warning voice within her and yielded to his passionate persuasions.The wedding ceremony was hasty, almost furtive, but Luise was too wildly infatuated to care. Even his insistence that their marriage be kept a secret did not seem ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 390 pages
Published April 1st 1976 by Ulverscroft (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Wife

Hannah
Ugh.

This has got to be one of the dumbest gothics I've ever read. Terribly dated and antiquated, the entire plot (if one dare call it a plot) hinges on:

Circa-1969 pre-marital sex/secret shack-up wedding (gasp, didn't they hear about Woodstock?).

Epilepsy (apparently worse then leprosy, Ebola Zaire and genital warts, doncha know?).

The Gestapo (don't ask, it's too stupid for words. Let's just say Hitler would cringe with embarrassment).

A 46 year old Danish mamas-boy (wow, who knew they're not all
Mandy
Dated and a pretty silly plot, but basically well written, and even if you have to suspend your critical faculties for a short while, quite a soothing sort of read.
Carolyn
This was kind of an escape romance/mystery novel. Not much substance but kind of intriguing and a quick read.
Juliette
Typically, I enjoy the cheesy melodrama in Gothic novels (considering the phrase "Gothic novel" is almost synonymous with "over-the-top drama") but the plot of this novel was a bit too much for me.

Not only did I find the characters to be rather absurd, I feel as though the author tried to stick in as many dumb, unoriginal plot twists as she could think of. None of the "twists" were entirely shocking, nor were they that entertaining.

One element of this story I did enjoy: the vivid descriptions of
Swathi
A really Disappointing Read. Not one of eden's best work. The Location in the novel is Denmark and you get to know Danish Customs and Traditions. The mystery as such isn't that compelling. There is some information about a genetic disease and also some of danish history regarding Jews and nazis. The main lead Luis seems to fall in and out of love very easily. In the ending she easily moves from the Count to his brother.
Jeanne
As I was reading this story, and it talked about a reporter having to mail her stories to her editor, I had to turn to the front of the book to see the publish year--1967! The story was a different twist on a romance novel. It did have one thing I love in a story, and that is the big finish or "ah-ha" moment at the end. This story delivered on that; otherwise, just OK for me. 5 out of 10 on this one.
Lisa
I enjoyed this book a lot more than "Listen to Danger". I liked that the heroine wasn't a namby-pamby female but had some guts. Interesting setting and backstory. Not a bad read at all.
Charmaine Puzey
was terrible finished on the way back from holiday and throught it in a road side trash NO stars
Karen Hogan
Englishwoman marries a Mad count from copenhagen. Not that good. Save yourself the trouble...
Nesrine
I loved this books so much, that I bought all books of the writer
Leo Martin
First Classic that I read.
Vmontgzz
Vmontgzz marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Karen Kt
Karen Kt marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Kitty
Kitty added it
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Aka Mary Paradise.

Dorothy Eden was born in 1912 in New Zealand and died in 1982. She moved to England in 1954 after taking a trip around the world and falling in love with the country. She was best known for her many mystery and romance books as well as short stories that were published in periodicals. As a novelist, Dorothy Eden was renowned for her ability to create fear and suspense. This earne
More about Dorothy Eden...
The American Heiress Waiting For Willa The Vines of Yarrabee Ravenscroft Winterwood