Start by marking “The Shadow Wife” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Wife

Dorothy Eden

The Shadow Wife

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  109 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
There was something about the tall dynamic Dane that disturbed Luise Amberley. But he was so attentive, so charming, that she silenced the small warning voice within her and yielded to his passionate persuasions.The wedding ceremony was hasty, almost furtive, but Luise was too wildly infatuated to care. Even his insistence that their marriage be kept a secret did not seem ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 390 pages
Published April 1st 1976 by Ulverscroft (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Wife

Hannah
Ugh.

This has got to be one of the dumbest gothics I've ever read. Terribly dated and antiquated, the entire plot (if one dare call it a plot) hinges on:

Circa-1969 pre-marital sex/secret shack-up wedding (gasp, didn't they hear about Woodstock?).

Epilepsy (apparently worse then leprosy, Ebola Zaire and genital warts, doncha know?).

The Gestapo (don't ask, it's too stupid for words. Let's just say Hitler would cringe with embarrassment).

A 46 year old Danish mamas-boy (wow, who knew they're not all
Vicki Parsons
Aug 23, 2016 Vicki Parsons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this Dorothy Eden gothic, THE SHADOW WIFE. It was kind of crazy, but I ended up really enjoying it.
For one thing, it was set in Denmark and Eden's description of the country was amazing! Also, this book had one of those love to hate villains, who was all sorts of sly and sexy. The heroine was nicely developed and not a namby pamby little thing. In fact, she had her nasty moments, but that made her more interesting. Some dated attitudes on relationships and such, but that's to be e
Bree (AnotherLookBook)
A novel about a woman who, while on a newspaper assignment in Italy, meets a handsome, mysterious Dane and marries him without knowing much about him--which might prove to be a bad thing. 1967.

I think I'm abandoning this one. It wasn't bad, it just had too much foreshadowing and the action severely stalled out. One of those plots that stall so much, you find yourself losing interest in the characters. More die-hard Dorothy Eden or gothic romance fans might make it through this, but as they say,
Juliette
Apr 28, 2013 Juliette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic
Typically, I enjoy the cheesy melodrama in Gothic novels (considering the phrase "Gothic novel" is almost synonymous with "over-the-top drama") but the plot of this novel was a bit too much for me.

Not only did I find the characters to be rather absurd, I feel as though the author tried to stick in as many dumb, unoriginal plot twists as she could think of. None of the "twists" were entirely shocking, nor were they that entertaining.

One element of this story I did enjoy: the vivid descriptions of
Gena Lott
Apr 15, 2015 Gena Lott rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Eden is a master of mysterious romance stories. Her heroines are not the insipid girls of some of the genre and the plot is more complicated and surprising too.
Mandy
Jan 27, 2013 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated and a pretty silly plot, but basically well written, and even if you have to suspend your critical faculties for a short while, quite a soothing sort of read.
Carolyn
Feb 14, 2009 Carolyn rated it it was ok
This was kind of an escape romance/mystery novel. Not much substance but kind of intriguing and a quick read.
Nesrine
Oct 31, 2014 Nesrine rated it it was amazing
I loved this books so much, that I bought all books of the writer
Swathi
Oct 09, 2014 Swathi rated it did not like it
A really Disappointing Read. Not one of eden's best work. The Location in the novel is Denmark and you get to know Danish Customs and Traditions. The mystery as such isn't that compelling. There is some information about a genetic disease and also some of danish history regarding Jews and nazis. The main lead Luis seems to fall in and out of love very easily. In the ending she easily moves from the Count to his brother.
Jeanne
Jun 12, 2014 Jeanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As I was reading this story, and it talked about a reporter having to mail her stories to her editor, I had to turn to the front of the book to see the publish year--1967! The story was a different twist on a romance novel. It did have one thing I love in a story, and that is the big finish or "ah-ha" moment at the end. This story delivered on that; otherwise, just OK for me. 5 out of 10 on this one.
Lisa
Aug 22, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, romance
I enjoyed this book a lot more than "Listen to Danger". I liked that the heroine wasn't a namby-pamby female but had some guts. Interesting setting and backstory. Not a bad read at all.
Charmaine Puzey
was terrible finished on the way back from holiday and throught it in a road side trash NO stars
Karen Hogan
Apr 06, 2013 Karen Hogan rated it did not like it
Englishwoman marries a Mad count from copenhagen. Not that good. Save yourself the trouble...
Leo Martin
Sep 13, 2010 Leo Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
First Classic that I read.
Cheryl Saxon
Cheryl Saxon marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2016
Pamela
Pamela added it
Aug 21, 2016
Nanci Harmon
Nanci Harmon marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Jul 11, 2016
Nancy Blacksmith
Nancy Blacksmith rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Harmony Aquino
Harmony Aquino marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Blythespirit Reviews
Blythespirit Reviews rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Megan Kelley
Megan Kelley rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Melissa Brattlof
Melissa Brattlof marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Lynda Lowe
Lynda Lowe rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Tynka
Tynka added it
Mar 17, 2016
Laurie Rizzolo
Laurie Rizzolo marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Aka Mary Paradise.

Dorothy Eden was born in 1912 in New Zealand and died in 1982. She moved to England in 1954 after taking a trip around the world and falling in love with the country. She was best known for her many mystery and romance books as well as short stories that were published in periodicals. As a novelist, Dorothy Eden was renowned for her ability to create fear and suspense. This earne
More about Dorothy Eden...