Start by marking “Zombie Haiku: Good Poetry for Your...Brains” as Want to Read:

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  2,486 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews

Blood is really warm,
                                                like drinking hot chocolate
                                                 but with more screaming.

Poetry is dead. "Zombie Haiku" is the touching story of a zombie's gradual decay told through the intimate poetry of haiku. From infection to demise, rea
Published July 14th 2008 by HOW Books (first published June 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Haiku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombie Haiku

karen
Jul 21, 2008 karen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: greg even though he didnt "believe" in go ask alice but this has zombies
like chocolate and peanut butter.

or peanut butter zombies:

TK421
Apr 02, 2011 TK421 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-drama
UPDATE: I ADDED A STAR TO MY REVIEW BECAUSE THE AUTHOR LIKED IT! THANK YOU, RYAN.

For the past five years or so, I have been fighting the zombie urge. Yes, I do love me a good zombie flick, but they started to appear everywhere: books and mash-ups and movies and music, heck I would not be surprised if McDonald’s had a special Happy Meal that came with a blunt instrument for the little ones at home so they could begin practicing their defense skills.

I read PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES and WORL
Ian "Marvin" Graye
Child's Haiku in Wales

Why am I unwed
When my Dad's a zombie and
His best mate's undead?
Shae
Oct 13, 2008 Shae rated it it was amazing
This book wins at life
It was so funny I lol'd
brains brains brains brains brains
Felicia A
Apr 18, 2009 Felicia A rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: zombie lovers and non-freaked out poetry lovers
Recommended to Felicia A by: my daughter
Shelves: zombies
Outstanding little book. I received this from my daughter as a birthday gift. It's a journal written all in Haiku (17 syllables for each stanza, written in 5-7-5) by a person as he was turning after he was bitten. My favorite poem....as he comes to a nursing home full of the elderly:

Little old ladies
speed away in their wheelchairs

and this one:

He tends not to flinch
though I am yelling in his ear
which is in my hand.

and this:

blood is really warm
it's like drinking hot choc
Misty
I reviewed this in full on my blog, but since it was a somewhat non-traditional review, I will include a snippet here. If you want the full thing, along with some bonus material, head over here...

The "story" unfolds via a man's poetry journal. Intending to document the glory of life, it ends up recording the downfall of civilization as he:
runs from zombies,
is bitten by zombies,
becomes a zombie,
bites and creates more zombies,
and embarks on the never-ending quest for fresh flesh and the all import
Brad
But they think haikus.

Haikus of big brains
Of squishy, squidgy entrails
That little boys love.

My girls hide their eyes,
While I develop a taste
For yummy brain spag.

Zombie Haiku good.
Zombie Haiku amazing.
Zombie Haiku great.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Well this was different: a story told in the form of a journal written in haiku. A plague causes people to turn into zombies, who, when they bite others, turn them into zombies as well. Then all the zombies walk around in search of food...namely, people! Pretty simple story line, but cleverly done. It gets a bit tiresome halfway through, however, after reading about the same thing over and over. The repeated gruesome scenes become mind-numbing after a bit. Still, not bad. I wonder if this could ...more
Selwa
Aug 29, 2016 Selwa rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, humor, horror
Nothing too deep here, but it's a fun book, especially if zombies are your thing (they're honestly not really my thing, except for the whole Walking Dead phenomenon) ;)
Natalie
Haiku is harder to write than one would think, but here's an entire book of them that tell the story of a man's death and reanimation into a zombie, and his neverending quest for braaaaaains. A lot of the haiku contained herein move the story along, but there are a number of gems, too:

Brains brains brains brains brains
Brains brains brains brains brains brains brains
Brains brains brains brains brains.

A man starts yelling
'When there's no more room in Hell...'
But then we eat him.

The crying baby
Remi
Shanon
Sep 28, 2009 Shanon rated it it was amazing
"Blood is really warm.
It's like drinking hot chocolate
but with more screaming."

Coolest. Book. Ever. I mean, in the history of ever, with awesome little books, this is the King, even perhaps the god of all awesome little books... that is how completely made of squee this book is. Seriously.

This book is currently living in my purse and I take it everywhere I go, finding excuses to bring it out and show it to people and tell them how inexpressibly shiny it is, and recommending it as a gift for anyo
Kate
Jun 09, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Zombie fans
Shelves: poetry, zombie-love
This book made my commute to work this morning so much more entertaining!

This is a diary from the early days of the zombie plague. Not much is known about the author before his "infection" turns him into a zombie. All is written in haiku format which is highly entertaining, gross, and hilarious, all at the same time.

Some keepers from the book itself are:

Brains are less squishy
and a tad bit more squeaky
than someone might guess.

Little old ladies
frightened meals on
Hayden
Mar 21, 2009 Hayden rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, adult, humor, horror
A guy begins filling a journal with insipid haikus. He keeps at it even after he finds himself in the middle of a zombie apocalypse--and then even after he becomes a zombie himself. The zombie-written haikus are hilarious and disgusting; here's one from inside a nursing home:

little old ladies

Or:

biting into heads
is much harder than it looks.
the skull is feisty.

Donald Armfield
Apr 16, 2013 Donald Armfield rated it liked it
The book is put together well. I don't mean the actual writing part. But the pages have blood droplets, dirty finger prints, cut outs tapped with electric tape and of course pictures of zombies.

The overall concept of the haiku thing kinda got tedious.
Jini
Jul 14, 2008 Jini rated it liked it
Interesting concept....who knew that zombies had the motor skills and brain function to actually write haiku? They also have remarkably good penmanship for the living dead.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Aug 26, 2008 Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) rated it it was amazing
Ryan
Mar 22, 2009 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I've read better.
dara
Jul 19, 2009 dara rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: zombie fans
To be honest, I wouldn't have bought this book if I'd known of the existence of Vampire Haiku because it diminishes the novelty of Zombie Haiku, and really, that's the book's biggest appeal. I didn't buy Zombie Haiku because I was expecting amazing writing; I bought it because it took something I like (zombies) and placed it into a form of writing I never would have thought to use. Other than being taken by the idea of it, the book itself isn't all that extraordinary so seeing the same concept a ...more
Debbie
May 20, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, humor, horror, zombies
The story of an average guy and his zombie "life"--told in haiku. I'm using some examples to teach my students about haiku. Who says poetry has to be about rainbows and butterflies? A few of my favorites:

little old ladies

Biting into heads
is much harder than it looks.
His skull is feisty.

I lap around blocks.
The city, an empty plate,
has been licked clean.

Her tongue can't form words,
although it's still wiggling
when it's in my hand.

I need to
Sterling Marte
Mar 28, 2012 Sterling Marte rated it it was amazing
Although I like almost every zombie book this one in particular was handed to me by a friend who said that it would be a quick read that is ultimately worth the read. The book like stated in the title is about a man becoming a zombie and writing haiku poems while running around eating others. This book is rather interesting because you get to learn what the zombie thinks about when walking around looking for survivors. If you are ever in the mood for a good but short zombies story you should rea ...more
Morgon
Jun 06, 2013 Morgon rated it it was ok
John Orman
May 05, 2012 John Orman rated it it was amazing
This is a journal for the early days of a zombie plague, documenting the journey of an undead poet through the deserted streets of a lost civilization.

Beth from accounting
Is just getting in her car--
eating spaghetti.

But I don't understand him
Since I have his tongue.
Deb Wilson
Jul 22, 2012 Deb Wilson rated it really liked it
Zombie Haiku is one of the fastest reads I have ever read. I finished it about an hour, and that was taking my time and reading some of the choicer haiku out loud to my boyfriend. The book is funny, as it tells the experience of a zombie in a most stereotypical Hollywood style, and while I wasn't crazy about the ending, it did tie in well with the prefacing notes.

If you want a quick and humorous read, and like zombies, give it a try. It was fun!
Louise Bendall
Jun 14, 2012 Louise Bendall rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Hayden already described this but it is worth a read especially for WALLY. C'mon what would you say in Haiku if you were a zombie? I give it 5 starts becasue it does what it sets out to do perfectly. It is in the top of it's genre.
Savannah Riestenberg
Dec 29, 2016 Savannah Riestenberg rated it did not like it
Though I was intrigued by haiku used in a narrative format, I was overall unimpressed. I think if the author had experimented with venturing outside of the 5-7-5 stereotypical haiku format it could have been a lot better.
Inoli
Sep 27, 2010 Inoli rated it really liked it
This could get old very fast but it wasn't long enough to do so. Mr. Mecum gets an extra half star for this simply for pulling it off so well. Deliciously demented and gigglingly gross. I got a kick out of his appreciative comment to George Romero at the end too.
Benji Young
May 08, 2015 Benji Young rated it really liked it
I read this book while at the library one day. I don't remember what I was doing, but I was at the library and had time to kill. It was actually pretty clever and enjoyable. I'd write a witty haiku, but I was never any good at haikus.
Peta
Apr 26, 2014 Peta rated it really liked it
A very cleaver little book, easy enough to read in one sitting, and a very creative way to haiku. I liked it and would recommend it to those interested in zombies, appreciators of haikus or anyone else looking for a quick entertaining read
Melissapalmer404
Jan 01, 2015 Melissapalmer404 rated it liked it
Book #1 Read in 2015
Zombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum

This was a quick read, told in haiku format, about the zombie uprising. It is a bit gory in parts, which means boys will most likely love it. It shows the transition of a human who is becoming a zombie.

• The Zen of Zombie: Better Living Through the Undead
  • It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Zombies: A Book of Zombie Christmas Carols
  • The Zombie Combat Manual: A Guide to Fighting the Living Dead
  • Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection: Field Notes by Dr. Robert Twombly
  • History is Dead: A Zombie Anthology
  • Brains: A Zombie Memoir
  • I am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas
  • Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's the Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema
  • Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Zombies
  • Zombie CSU
  • The Zombie Autopsies: Secret Notebooks from the Apocalypse
  • Breathers: A Zombie's Lament
  • The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies

“Blood is really warm,
it's like drinking hot chocolate
but with more screaming.”
231 likes
“If the dawn should break
and take away this sunrise,
I hope I break, too.”