Start by marking “Zombie Haiku: Good Poetry for Your...Brains” as Want to Read:
Zombie Haiku: Good Poetry for Your...Brains

Zombie Haiku: Good Poetry for Your...Brains

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  2,174 ratings  ·  270 reviews
In your hands is a poetry journal written by an undead poet, recounting his firsthand experience during the zombie plague. Little is known about the author before he turned into a zombie, but thanks to his continued writings in this journal - even after his death - you can accompany him from infection to demise. Through the intimate poetry of haiku, the zombie chronicles h ...more
Published July 14th 2008 by Northlight (first published June 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Haiku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombie Haiku

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
66th out of 1,287 books — 3,751 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerMidnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer
The Worst Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Horror Books
48th out of 409 books — 314 voters

More lists with this book...

For the past five years or so, I have been fighting the zombie urge. Yes, I do love me a good zombie flick, but they started to appear everywhere: books and mash-ups and movies and music, heck I would not be surprised if McDonald’s had a special Happy Meal that came with a blunt instrument for the little ones at home so they could begin practicing their defense skills.

Jul 21, 2008 karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: greg even though he didnt "believe" in go ask alice but this has zombies
like chocolate and peanut butter.
Ian Agadada-Davida
Child's Haiku in Wales

Why am I unwed
When my Dad's a zombie and
His best mate's undead?
This book wins at life
It was so funny I lol'd
brains brains brains brains brains
Felicia A
Apr 18, 2009 Felicia A rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: zombie lovers and non-freaked out poetry lovers
Recommended to Felicia A by: my daughter
Shelves: zombies
Outstanding little book. I received this from my daughter as a birthday gift. It's a journal written all in Haiku (17 syllables for each stanza, written in 5-7-5) by a person as he was turning after he was bitten. My favorite he comes to a nursing home full of the elderly:

Little old ladies
speed away in their wheelchairs

and this one:

He tends not to flinch
though I am yelling in his ear
which is in my hand.

and this:

blood is really warm
it's like drinking hot choc
I reviewed this in full on my blog, but since it was a somewhat non-traditional review, I will include a snippet here. If you want the full thing, along with some bonus material, head over here...

The "story" unfolds via a man's poetry journal. Intending to document the glory of life, it ends up recording the downfall of civilization as he:
runs from zombies,
is bitten by zombies,
becomes a zombie,
bites and creates more zombies,
and embarks on the never-ending quest for fresh flesh and the all import
Zombies do not write
That is just idiotic
But they think haikus.

Haikus of big brains
Of squishy, squidgy entrails
That little boys love.

My girls hide their eyes,
While I develop a taste
For yummy brain spag.

Zombie Haiku good.
Zombie Haiku amazing.
Zombie Haiku great.
Haiku is harder to write than one would think, but here's an entire book of them that tell the story of a man's death and reanimation into a zombie, and his neverending quest for braaaaaains. A lot of the haiku contained herein move the story along, but there are a number of gems, too:

Brains brains brains brains brains
Brains brains brains brains brains brains brains
Brains brains brains brains brains.

A man starts yelling
'When there's no more room in Hell...'
But then we eat him.

The crying baby
"Blood is really warm.
It's like drinking hot chocolate
but with more screaming."

Coolest. Book. Ever. I mean, in the history of ever, with awesome little books, this is the King, even perhaps the god of all awesome little books... that is how completely made of squee this book is. Seriously.

This book is currently living in my purse and I take it everywhere I go, finding excuses to bring it out and show it to people and tell them how inexpressibly shiny it is, and recommending it as a gift for anyo
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Well this was different: a story told in the form of a journal written in haiku. A plague causes people to turn into zombies, who, when they bite others, turn them into zombies as well. Then all the zombies walk around in search of food...namely, people! Pretty simple story line, but cleverly done. It gets a bit tiresome halfway through, however, after reading about the same thing over and over. The repeated gruesome scenes become mind-numbing after a bit. Still, not bad. I wonder if this could ...more
Jul 25, 2012 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Zombie fans
Shelves: poetry, zombie-love
This book made my commute to work this morning so much more entertaining!

This is a diary from the early days of the zombie plague. Not much is known about the author before his "infection" turns him into a zombie. All is written in haiku format which is highly entertaining, gross, and hilarious, all at the same time.

Some keepers from the book itself are:

Brains are less squishy
and a tad bit more squeaky
than someone might guess.

Little old ladies
frightened meals on
A guy begins filling a journal with insipid haikus. He keeps at it even after he finds himself in the middle of a zombie apocalypse--and then even after he becomes a zombie himself. The zombie-written haikus are hilarious and disgusting; here's one from inside a nursing home:

little old ladies

biting into heads
is much harder than it looks.
the skull is feisty.

Donald Armfield
The book is put together well. I don't mean the actual writing part. But the pages have blood droplets, dirty finger prints, cut outs tapped with electric tape and of course pictures of zombies.

The overall concept of the haiku thing kinda got tedious.
Interesting concept....who knew that zombies had the motor skills and brain function to actually write haiku? They also have remarkably good penmanship for the living dead.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Mar 28, 2009 Ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I've read better.
Aug 29, 2009 dara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: zombie fans
To be honest, I wouldn't have bought this book if I'd known of the existence of Vampire Haiku because it diminishes the novelty of Zombie Haiku, and really, that's the book's biggest appeal. I didn't buy Zombie Haiku because I was expecting amazing writing; I bought it because it took something I like (zombies) and placed it into a form of writing I never would have thought to use. Other than being taken by the idea of it, the book itself isn't all that extraordinary so seeing the same concept a ...more
Book #1 Read in 2015
Zombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum

This was a quick read, told in haiku format, about the zombie uprising. It is a bit gory in parts, which means boys will most likely love it. It shows the transition of a human who is becoming a zombie.
Benji Young
I read this book while at the library one day. I don't remember what I was doing, but I was at the library and had time to kill. It was actually pretty clever and enjoyable. I'd write a witty haiku, but I was never any good at haikus.
A very cleaver little book, easy enough to read in one sitting, and a very creative way to haiku. I liked it and would recommend it to those interested in zombies, appreciators of haikus or anyone else looking for a quick entertaining read
The story of an average guy and his zombie "life"--told in haiku. I'm using some examples to teach my students about haiku. Who says poetry has to be about rainbows and butterflies? A few of my favorites:

little old ladies

Biting into heads
is much harder than it looks.
His skull is feisty.

I lap around blocks.
The city, an empty plate,
has been licked clean.

Her tongue can't form words,
although it's still wiggling
when it's in my hand.

I need to
Sterling Marte
Although I like almost every zombie book this one in particular was handed to me by a friend who said that it would be a quick read that is ultimately worth the read. The book like stated in the title is about a man becoming a zombie and writing haiku poems while running around eating others. This book is rather interesting because you get to learn what the zombie thinks about when walking around looking for survivors. If you are ever in the mood for a good but short zombies story you should rea ...more
Jaffa Kintigh
For a tongue-in-cheek spoof on both haiku and zombie-philia, this collection, which I've read twice, proves enjoyable enough to adorn one's guest bathroom.

There is a structure and plot to the collection which purports to be a haiku journal. It captures the start of the epidemic and even the writer's transformation to a zombie state. The start is rather like the oblivious start to the movie Shaun of the Dead.

My day starts off bad.
I'm running behind for work.
If I'm late, I'm dead.

Something on th
Deb Wilson
Zombie Haiku is one of the fastest reads I have ever read. I finished it about an hour, and that was taking my time and reading some of the choicer haiku out loud to my boyfriend. The book is funny, as it tells the experience of a zombie in a most stereotypical Hollywood style, and while I wasn't crazy about the ending, it did tie in well with the prefacing notes.

If you want a quick and humorous read, and like zombies, give it a try. It was fun!
John Orman
This is a journal for the early days of a zombie plague, documenting the journey of an undead poet through the deserted streets of a lost civilization.

Beth from accounting
Is just getting in her car--
eating spaghetti.

Since I have his tongue.
Louise Bendall
Zombie Haiku book review;
Ryan Mecum,
This book is in the format of a person’s diary and is set in a world that is changing into the apocalypse. The book is wrote by a man locked in a bathroom slow dying. This book was supposed to be full of haikus but the the plague hits and it turns less light and more brains. The book is full of story’s that a zombie went through. the change, the journey, hunger and the struggle. Its all one big poem. The setting is in a world that is been roamed by zombies, th
Henry S
Zombie Haiku Book Review
Henry Saleeby
Domuracki Period 6

Zombie Haiku is a journal written in a way that your mind creates the scene. Ryan Mecum approached the writing of this book with a whole new idea. It is not one of those “Dear Diary,” kind of journals, he was going to write the book in haiku’s. The book is about a man named Carl that is recording his life during the zombie apocalypse in a journal. Each page contains about 3 haiku’s describing the scene of the apocalypse. Throughout the first
This could get old very fast but it wasn't long enough to do so. Mr. Mecum gets an extra half star for this simply for pulling it off so well. Deliciously demented and gigglingly gross. I got a kick out of his appreciative comment to George Romero at the end too.
  • The Zen of Zombie: Better Living Through the Undead
  • History is Dead: A Zombie Anthology
  • I Am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead
  • Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead
Vampire Haiku Dawn of Zombie Haiku Werewolf Haiku

“Blood is really warm,
it's like drinking hot chocolate
but with more screaming.”
“If the dawn should break
and take away this sunrise,
I hope I break, too.”