Start by marking “Grace Under Fire: Letters of Faith in Times of War” as Want to Read:
Grace Under Fire: Letters of Faith in Times of War

Grace Under Fire: Letters of Faith in Times of War

ho have been tested by fire and maintained their faith

The first book of its kind, Grace Under Fire is an inspiring and spiritual collection of letters and e-mails by U.S. troops and their families from the American Revolution through the War on Terrorism.

Andrew Carroll, editor of the bestselling War Letters, went through his massive archive of seventy-five-thousand previo
Published March 6th 2007 by Doubleday (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Grace Under Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace Under Fire

Cindy
Mar 02, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
"Twenty-seven-year-old Lieutenant James R. Penton, who served in France... enjoyed drawing sketches of interesting people and places as he and his fellow soldiers pushed their way toward Germany. Handwritten correspondences have their own unique value. The offer a tangible connection to their loved ones, who can hold the actual paper that their sweetheart or child or parent also touched. " What I loved about this book is the truth of experience coming from the heart and hand of those in extreme ...more
Claudia
Oct 15, 2013 Claudia rated it really liked it
An exceptional assortment of letters to and from soldiers serving in various wars over our Nation's history. The theme linking these letters together is the faith shared by the writers. Grace Under Fire is an encouraging read for anyone. Life may seem tough at times, but I am not facing a battle knowing I might very well be the next corpse, and these soldiers still exhibited grace knowing the day they were writing the letter might very well be their last. Definitely a good read!
Maria
I enjoyed listening to this book but it wasn't as good as his other books that I had listen too. Mainly because there was only one narrator, who read all the letters, instead of the multiple readers for the other books. I also noticed that there were a couple of letters that were published in the other books. That being said, this was a solid book and I found myself crying at the pain, faith and strength depicted.
Philip
This gets a second star for being well-intentioned, but this slim nightstand book was just too repetitive and boring. Yes, soldiers loved their families and kept their faith - but after reading seemingly endless variations on the same theme, I just had to skim the second half to get through it.
Nicole Marble
Jun 30, 2012 Nicole Marble rated it it was ok
These are letters to and from war fronts beginning with WWII, then Korea, then Vietnam, and then our invasion of Iraq, w/ brief references to God.
Sometimes soldiers feeling fear need the hope of protection from the supernatural. This book is a random sampling.
Lisa Graf
Feb 03, 2008 Lisa Graf rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Jacob
Good book, but the writer (or collector of letters) does too much explaining in between letters. Letters are super interesting, though. Kind of puts a face on what war is really like.
Catherine
Oct 13, 2015 Catherine rated it liked it
A good read to juxtapose the darkness of The Things They Carried (which I'd read right before this one). I loved that faith and family and God were such strong themes throughout.
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
May 22, 2015
Melyssa
Melyssa rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Kyle Potter
Kyle Potter rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Tará O'Sullivan
Tará O'Sullivan rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2011
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Wes
Wes rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2011
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2011
June
June rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Frank Moore
Frank Moore rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2009
GLYSSEL SANABRIA
GLYSSEL SANABRIA rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was ok
May 02, 2009
Kathy Monroe
Kathy Monroe rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2014
Kel
Kel rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2010
Shelby
Shelby rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Jackieinthebox
Jackieinthebox rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2013
Jessica (^_^)
Jessica (^_^) rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Shane
Shane rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2008
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015