Start by marking “R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH” as Want to Read:
R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH

R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH (Rats of NIMH #3)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  486 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When Margaret and her younger brother, Artie, get lost in the woods on a family camping trip, they are rescued by rats -- the superintelligent rats of NIMH. Taken into the rat's community, the children are safe for the time being. But winter is coming. Margaret and Artie have to get back home. And when they do, they must protect the rats who have helped them. Everything de ...more
Published September 30th 1991 by HarperCollins (first published June 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH

this book is kind of weird and rambling at times yet at the end i'm still unsatisfied and want to know more about what happens to the rats of NIMH next. margaret is a complicated girl and i didn't really like her at first but i did feel bad for her since her mother(who by the way was a terrible character) fat-shamed her and i wish her arc had been written slightly differently to focus on her becoming strong and confident rather than lazy and selfish but not making it into a fat-to-skinny thing. ...more
Oct 24, 2013 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Mrs. Frisby and Rasco
This wasn't as successful as the others for me. I didn't find Christopher as sympathetic a character.

However, Margaret's realization at the end was quite powerful for me, "she felt what it must be like to be trapped once and for all. Inside a cage you wouldn't see the sun or moon, feel the earth under your feet, feel the rain or wind or dew. Of course they had run away. And she would do nothing else that would let them be found." I think that raised it to a 3 and a half for me.
Read as a child and didn't realize it was a sequel at the time. It was difficult to catch on, but not to where I didn't enjoy the book.
In this last installment of the Rats of NIHM series, our old familiar rats are joined by two lost children. R-T (Artie) and Margaret are taken care of by the rats and in return they help the rats with harvest etc. It is a beneficial arrangement, but one that can not last. Winter is coming and there is no way the rats can shelter the children from the elements.

Each of these books is its own story. While the characters are the same and we see the progress, they each have their own plot and proble
The last NIMH book was just as adorable and sweet as the other two. The author's daughter did a really good job on the two sequels; I think he would have been pleased.

This book didn't focus too much on the rats though, which was it's only downfall. We also didn't get to see my favorite characters, Timothy and Jeremy. Instead we mostly followed the lives of the two children who mistakenly wandered into the rat's community. This made it a different type of NIMH book, but different doesn't mean bad
Adding human children into the mix with the rats of NIMH really starts to stretch the bounds of my suspension of disbelief. The levels of plausibility really start to break down, I think, and it's harder to sink into the story. Another difficulty may be due to the portrayed technology levels, which were perfectly fine at the time the book was written, but which date the book for readers today.
I didn't like this one as much as the others. It was still a good story and the characters learned and grew in interesting and meaningful ways. I don't care for the overall outcome and I'm less inclined toward stories that blend talking animals and people. It's more fascinating to me when the talking animals are isolated in their own little microcosim of a world.
Matt Horowitz
I didn't know there was another sequel to Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of Nimh until I was a teenager. The end of the book ripped my heart out. It's one of the few times I can think of where I was so physically emotionally effected by a book.
This one and Racso are sequels to the original. They were written by the daughter of the original book's author. I didn't realize that until I went to add them to my list. I remember enjoying them very much.
King Haddock
I was always dubious of this book. I was pleasantly surprised in the first half of the book, but then it fell away. The ending was stupid and I do not think this book should have been written.
Johnny Bennett
An enjoyable continuation of the NIMH story. Frequently character continuity can become an issue but not so here. Topics for discussion can include promises that conflict with honesty.
I was very disappointed in this book. I was really looking forward to it as a sequel, but unfortunately, it had none of the magic that Conly's father imparted in Mrs. Frisby.
Zaza (Mackenzie)
R-T can't hear. He doesn't fit in with the real world very well, when him and his sister stumbel upon the rats of NIMH, R-T finally finds a place to be accepted.
I hated having humans know the secret. The ending, though, was sort of mysterious and cliffy.
Old Children's Book. Liked it as a kid, but haven't read it in years.
John Reich-wille
this book is the suckiest book i ever read id rather read twilit.
Will read this one for the September 2010 book club and the library.
I loved this series.
Shel marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Gray Long
Gray Long marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Nadia marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
  • Who Really Killed Cock Robin?
  • Until the Celebration (Green Sky, #3)
  • Misty Morgan
  • Lyle and the Birthday Party
  • Ace: The Very Important Pig
  • A Rat's Tale
  • Postcards from Camp
  • A Beginning, a Muddle, and an End: The Right Way to Write Writing
  • Papercutz Slices #1: Harry Potty and the Deathly Boring
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Music (The Boxcar Children, #45)
  • Shadows in the Water (Starbuck Family Adventure, #2)
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • Detective Pony (Pony Pals, #17)
  • The Hidden Jewel
  • Voyage of the Dolphin (Seven Sleepers, #7)

Rats of NIMH (3 books)
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (Rats of NIMH, #1)
  • Racso and the Rats of NIMH