Start by marking “R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH” as Want to Read:
R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH

R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH (Rats of NIMH #3)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  535 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
When Margaret and her younger brother, Artie, get lost in the woods on a family camping trip, they are rescued by rats -- the superintelligent rats of NIMH. Taken into the rat's community, the children are safe for the time being. But winter is coming. Margaret and Artie have to get back home. And when they do, they must protect the rats who have helped them. Everything de ...more
Published September 30th 1991 by HarperCollins (first published June 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH

Watership Down by Richard AdamsInto the Wild by Erin HunterRedwall by Brian JacquesFire and Ice by Erin HunterMrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
Best Animal Books in Fantasy
83rd out of 157 books — 384 voters
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamilloPoppy by AviRedwall by Brian JacquesMrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'BrienA Nest for Celeste by Henry Cole
Middle Grade Mouse Fiction
17th out of 19 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Bellezza
Feb 29, 2016 Bellezza rated it liked it
In this last installment of the Rats of NIHM series, our old familiar rats are joined by two lost children. R-T (Artie) and Margaret are taken care of by the rats and in return they help the rats with harvest etc. It is a beneficial arrangement, but one that cannot last. Winter is coming and there is no way the rats can shelter the children from the elements.

Each of these books is its own story. While the characters are the same and we see the progress, they each have their own plot and problem
SJ
Aug 06, 2015 SJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, childrens
this book is kind of weird and rambling at times yet at the end i'm still unsatisfied and want to know more about what happens to the rats of NIMH next. margaret is a complicated girl and i didn't really like her at first but i did feel bad for her since her mother(who by the way was a terrible character) fat-shamed her and i wish her arc had been written slightly differently to focus on her becoming strong and confident rather than lazy and selfish but not making it into a fat-to-skinny thing. ...more
June
Oct 24, 2013 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Mrs. Frisby and Rasco
This wasn't as successful as the others for me. I didn't find Christopher as sympathetic a character.

However, Margaret's realization at the end was quite powerful for me, "she felt what it must be like to be trapped once and for all. Inside a cage you wouldn't see the sun or moon, feel the earth under your feet, feel the rain or wind or dew. Of course they had run away. And she would do nothing else that would let them be found." I think that raised it to a 3 and a half for me.
Zaza (Mackenzie)
May 27, 2010 Zaza (Mackenzie) rated it it was ok
R-T can't hear. He doesn't fit in with the real world very well, when him and his sister stumbel upon the rats of NIMH, R-T finally finds a place to be accepted.
Tyler
Nov 20, 2012 Tyler rated it liked it
Read as a child and didn't realize it was a sequel at the time. It was difficult to catch on, but not to where I didn't enjoy the book.
Lady♥Belleza★✰
In this last installment of the Rats of NIHM series, our old familiar rats are joined by two lost children. R-T (Artie) and Margaret are taken care of by the rats and in return they help the rats with harvest etc. It is a beneficial arrangement, but one that can not last. Winter is coming and there is no way the rats can shelter the children from the elements.

Peter Cowan
continued the series but lost the wonder of the original
Dawn
Jan 26, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mice
Sequel to Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Alex
May 18, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last NIMH book was just as adorable and sweet as the other two. The author's daughter did a really good job on the two sequels; I think he would have been pleased.

This book didn't focus too much on the rats though, which was it's only downfall. We also didn't get to see my favorite characters, Timothy and Jeremy. Instead we mostly followed the lives of the two children who mistakenly wandered into the rat's community. This made it a different type of NIMH book, but different doesn't mean bad
RumBelle
A heartwarming, adventurous, funny story about the little guy having really big adventures. I liked also, how is this one humans were let in on NIMH'S secret.
Anki
Adding human children into the mix with the rats of NIMH really starts to stretch the bounds of my suspension of disbelief. The levels of plausibility really start to break down, I think, and it's harder to sink into the story. Another difficulty may be due to the portrayed technology levels, which were perfectly fine at the time the book was written, but which date the book for readers today.
Patrice
I didn't like this one as much as the others. It was still a good story and the characters learned and grew in interesting and meaningful ways. I don't care for the overall outcome and I'm less inclined toward stories that blend talking animals and people. It's more fascinating to me when the talking animals are isolated in their own little microcosim of a world.
Matt Horowitz
Nov 07, 2012 Matt Horowitz rated it it was amazing
I didn't know there was another sequel to Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of Nimh until I was a teenager. The end of the book ripped my heart out. It's one of the few times I can think of where I was so physically emotionally effected by a book.
Goofy
Aug 18, 2013 Goofy rated it really liked it
Meghan
Mar 11, 2008 Meghan rated it really liked it
This one and Racso are sequels to the original. They were written by the daughter of the original book's author. I didn't realize that until I went to add them to my list. I remember enjoying them very much.
King Haddock
Aug 30, 2008 King Haddock rated it did not like it
Shelves: animal-fiction
I was always dubious of this book. I was pleasantly surprised in the first half of the book, but then it fell away. The ending was stupid and I do not think this book should have been written.
Johnny Bennett
Dec 21, 2012 Johnny Bennett rated it really liked it
An enjoyable continuation of the NIMH story. Frequently character continuity can become an issue but not so here. Topics for discussion can include promises that conflict with honesty.
Francine
Dec 27, 2007 Francine rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I was very disappointed in this book. I was really looking forward to it as a sequel, but unfortunately, it had none of the magic that Conly's father imparted in Mrs. Frisby.
Nara Schrale
May 15, 2016 Nara Schrale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my 7 year old son, having read the first two NIMH books to him. He rated it 5 stars. Personally I'd give it more of a 3.5 rating.
Maggie
Jul 21, 2009 Maggie rated it liked it
I hated having humans know the secret. The ending, though, was sort of mysterious and cliffy.
Peter
May 14, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it
Patrick
Oct 29, 2009 Patrick rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Old Children's Book. Liked it as a kid, but haven't read it in years.
John Reich-wille
Mar 26, 2009 John Reich-wille rated it did not like it
this book is the suckiest book i ever read id rather read twilit.
Barbara
Aug 19, 2010 Barbara rated it it was ok
Will read this one for the September 2010 book club and the library.
Foggygirl
Nov 14, 2014 Foggygirl rated it it was amazing
I loved this series.
Ganesh Kalyansundaram
Ganesh Kalyansundaram marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Darcia Scates
Darcia Scates rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Taylor Doporto
Taylor Doporto marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Kay DeHart
Kay DeHart marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Dubbeltje
Dubbeltje marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
  • The White Assassin (Nightshade Chronicles, #2)
  • Misty Morgan
  • Ace: The Very Important Pig
  • Who Really Killed Cock Robin?
  • A Rat's Tale
  • A Beginning, a Muddle, and an End: The Right Way to Write Writing
  • Lyle and the Birthday Party
  • Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse
  • Until the Celebration (Green Sky, #3)
  • Shadows in the Water (Starbuck Family Adventure, #2)
  • Postcards from Camp
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Music (The Boxcar Children, #45)
  • Detective Pony (Pony Pals, #17)
  • The Hidden Jewel
  • The Adventures of Johnny Chuck
  • Papercutz Slices #1: Harry Potty and the Deathly Boring

Rats of NIMH (3 books)
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (Rats of NIMH, #1)
  • Racso and the Rats of NIMH