Дервиш и смрт

Дервиш и смрт

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  2,789 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Ahmed Nuruddin is sheikh of a tekke, the head of a small religious order in an Ottoman Bosnian town. Forty, he's a settled, respected member of the community, until pushed onto a new path by successive shocks: the arrest of his brother & an encounter with a fugitive from justice. These lead him to question previous certainties & bring him into conflict with local a...more
Published 2000 (first published 1966)

Iluzija O. Istini
Svjesna sam da ce ovaj osvrt biti u potpunoj opreci ocjeni ★★★★★ koja je navedena poviše, ali samo vrhunska knjiga može potresti osjecaje toliko da je zavolis ili zamrzis.

Citajuci pocetak i primjecujuci gotovo ludjacku opsjednutost grijehom koja je izvirala iz glevnog lika, sjetila sam se svih ljudi koji su mi knjigu preporucili ili pohvalili. Tko je tu lud? Pisac, oni ili ja? Toliko je realno lik docaran.

Realan ili ne, prezirem ga svakom strunom svog, nadam se, zdravog razuma. Optereceno, nezah...more
Lars K Jensen
Imagine a bag of candy with 455 pieces of the most delicious pieces of candy inside. Each is so delicate and mouth-watering that you feel the need to expand the joy to as many minutes as possible, and it sweetens the soul, just like it does the tongue.

This is basically what this book was like to me. It's not an easy read (and thank God for that), but it's great literature. Such great literature.

The book (written 1962-66 and a classic in Yugoslav literature) is set in Sarajevo under Ottoman rule...more
Ivana S.

There's only one word I can use for this book - MASTERPIECE!!!
Zeljka
Meša Selimović je bio genije. Dostojevski naših krajeva, definitivno. Kako je uspio tako uvjerljivo dočarati čovjeka toliko nabijenog emocijama, strahovima i obzirima, i usput nam otkrivati tako divne, tužne i istinite misli o životu! Uživala sam u svakoj toj misli...
Bilo je teško gledati sa strane kako se taj derviš uništava, kako sve one iluzije koje je imao o životu i ljudima propadaju u vodu i on sam postaje ono što je prezirao. Bilo je tako tužno to promatrati i znati da ne možeš ništa učin...more
Rebecca Duncan
This book is a huge favorite of mine and I'm quite surprised that I haven't written about it - yet.

But I'm here now to correct that and to pay homage to this unprecedented masterpiece of, I dare to say, world literature.
When I first came across this book, I was frankly very, very, unimaginably young and even more so immature. But, even at that period in my life, I din't fail to recognize that this novel is like a rare diamond that not many people are allowed to discover,understand and accept.

Not...more
Erik Graff
Feb 10, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: South Slavs
Recommended to Erik by: A.M.
Shelves: literature
My closest Bosnian friend gave this to me after I'd read Ivo Andric's Bridge on the Drina. This is not as accessible a book as Andric's masterpiece. Drawing a comparison, Andric is Tolstoy while Selimović is Dostoevsky. While Andric gives you everything you need to know to appreciate his book, Selimović presupposes the reader knows enough to fill in the background.

Mona

أي حجر من الأساس في داخلي تزحزح فأخذ كل شيئ في التداعي و الإنهيار؟
تقع أحداث الرواية في القرن 18 في البوسنة " ساراييفو" خلال الحكم العثماني وتحكي عن الشيخ أحمد نور الدين شيخ التكية المولاوية و المحارب السابق والذي كان يؤمن بان السلطة هي مرادفة للعدل و الامن حتى أعتقل اخوه و قتل على ايدي السلطات بدون تهمة واضحة فكان هذا بمثابة الحجر الذي تزحزح ويتعامل مع الحدث بالكراهية و النسيان ثم يدخل الى السلطة ويمارس العنف بدوره ضد أقرب الأصدقاء لديه. وهكذا يتحول الشيخ أحمد من مشروع متمرد على السلطة الى مشارك...more
Marija
A book like no other. I'm not educated enough to describe this writing
Goran Markov
A book about self analysis. A book about sacrifice. A book about life, religion, feelings and the impact of the society on a religious figure not really able to adapt and become what was expected of him...just another slave to his consciousness.

This story is a powerful psychological drama, filled with philosophical view of the world.

Ahmed Nurudin, a derviš (poor muslim ascet), must find a way to cope with the world that's surrounding him...he must try to explain to himself the arrest of his br...more
Sandra15
I read this book long time ago. Regarding Meša Selimović as an author, there can only be one conclusion - almost every sentence of his novels could be copied, memorized and quoted somewhere. His genius cannot be completely translated into foreign languages. The true heart of his recountals and descriptions is hidden in and interwoven with delicate fibres of his native language, Serbo - Croatian.
Weltschmerz
Proza, a poezija. Hrana za dušu. Čista umetnost. Nije za svakoga, ali ni ne može da bude, a to ne kažem zato što sam intelektualni snob, već zato što da li će vam se ova knjiga svideti zavisi gotovo isključivo od vašeg senzibiliteta.
Sanja Kanazir
Jedna od mojih omiljenih recenica ikada: "Cetrdeset mi je godina, ružno doba: covjek je jos mlad da bi imao zelja, a vec star da ih ostvaruje"...
Ana
This is, without a doubt, the most beautifully written book I have ever read.
Dragana
My Bible
Jonathan yates
The reason to read this book is pretty clear, first its beautiful, its a slow meditative beautiful story of a fictional past which for me is also a world far away, each page is slow and the details are full of color and light, sighing and the distant sounds of brooks
but secondly because like in all great literature there is something to learn here, this book is a wonderful study of the relation between the individual and the authority of governance-we all have relations to authority in our lives...more
Paul Fulcher
This is why I love translated fiction: a book written in the 1960s, which took 30 years to be translated into English and has languished in relative obscurity since, but an outstanding read.

The plot of the Death and the Dervish is relatively straightforward. The narrator, a Dervish living in Ottoman-ruled Bosnia, has his life turned upside down when his brother is arrested. The novel tells of his Kafkesque struggles with the authorities to discover of what his brother id accused, his desparate a...more
Teodora
Fenomenalan pisac, fenomenalna knjiga. Druga koja me je naterala da zaplačem.
Azra Lali
Masterpiece. If I had to chose The Book of the books - this would be my choice!
Christina
One of the best novels ever written.
Bookmaniac70
Как се променят животът, себеоценката си, моралните устои на един човек, който бива внезапно изваден от точката си на равновесие? Липсата на действие създава илюзията за безпогрешност, но изведнъж въвлечен в поредица от действия, дервишът Ахмед не може да спре лавинообразните им последици. Изключително дълбок, философски роман, върху който може дълго да се разсъждава.

Ревю за "Аз чета"
Howard
This is the most famous Bosnia novel by Author Selimovic written in 1966. It is the first person narrative based around 1700s Sarajevo Islamic tekke (monastery).

The basic story is the narrator Sheikh Nuruddin, an ex-soldier of about 40 years old, is a leading member of a religious order (a Dervish) on the outskirts of the town (kasba). He lives along side Mustafa, deaf and married with kids; Mullah Yusaf, a 25 year old ill pale individual; and finally Hufiz-Mohammed, a knowledgeable youth and in...more
Ines
This book is like a jewel... depends on your age and state of mind and it shines differently. Every sentence is a quotable , in each paragraph you can find something that connects to your experience. You can read it every five years, and based on your life experience - you will see the book differently. There is so much levels in all that he writes- more that you can count! LOVE it!
Olla Dilas
This is one of my favorite classics of 20th century Balkan literature. It is a story within a story, a tale placed in historical Ottoman times filled with subtext references of 20th century Communist regime oppression in Ex Yugoslavia. Definitely worth reading. This translation is excellent!
Ivy Mae
Najradije bih joj dala 10 zvjezdica, ovo je jedna od rijetkih knjiga koja mi se uvukla duboko pod kozu.. Primijetila sam da sam tih dana cesto plakala, a tek kasnije sam shvatila koliko me knjiga duboko potresla.. jednostavno masterpiece :)
Jovana Mirjanić Mira
Mislim da ništa što bih napisala ne bi moglo u potpunosti da prenese utiske i veličinu ovog romana.

"Bezuspješno nastojiš da ostaneš čist i slobodan, neko tvoj će ti zagorčati život".
Violet
I've read this in the original language..one of the best books I've ever read. It's very philosophical and profound, left a great impression on me.
Adelina
5 звездички са малко за този роман. Меша Селимович е брилянтен!
Rhonda Shore
One of the greatest books I have ever read, truly.
Jelena
Five stars are just not enough
  • Prokleta avlija
  • Nečista krv
  • Orlovi rano lete (Pionirska trilogija, #1)
  • Seobe
  • Encyclopedia of the Dead
  • On the Edge of Reason
  • Autobiografija
  • Besnilo
  • Sarajevo Marlboro
  • Gorski vijenac

“Ljudi preziru sve one koji ne uspiju, a mrze one koji se uspnu iznad njih; Navikni se na prezir ako želis mir, ili na mržnju ako pristaneš na borbu...” 91 likes
“Trebalo bi ubijati prošlost sa svakim danom što se ugasi. Izbrisati je da ne postoji, da ne boli. Lakše bi se podnosio dan što traje, ne bi se merio onim što više ne postoji. Ovako se mešaju utvare i život, pa nema ni čistog sećanja, ni čistog života.” 79 likes