Start by marking “The London Eye Mystery” as Want to Read:
The London Eye Mystery

The London Eye Mystery

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  7,074 ratings  ·  1,010 reviews
An unputdownable, spine-tingling thriller - a race against time!

When Ted and Kat watched their cousin Salim get on board the London Eye, he turned and waved before getting on. But after half an hour it landed and everyone trooped off - and no Salim. Where could he have gone? How on earth could he have disappeared into thin air?

So Ted and his older sister, Kat, become sleut
Published June 5th 2008 by Yearling (first published June 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The London Eye Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The London Eye Mystery

Gwen the Librarian
This is just an indescribably fabulous novel. Ted has a different brain from other people - he says he runs on a different operating system. When a cousin comes to visit and then disappears, it's up to Ted and his sister Kat to solve the mystery since none of the adults will listen to their clues. Using the art of deduction and his unusal way of looking at the world, Ted discovers clues to the whereabouts of his cousin that no one else observed.

What I love about this novel is the very frank way
Mar 12, 2010 j rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to j by: Evil blog
This YA "mystery" is told from the point of view of a kid with Aspergers, which means the writing is really affected. This worked for me in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time because i believed, more or less, in the character. Here, it just seems like a plot device.

After about 50 pages of dull set-up (kid's cousin boards the London Eye, never gets off, where did he go?) I got impatient and skipped to the end, skimming the last 50 or so pages for the resolution of what seemed a po
Is it just me, or does this read like a slightly warmed-over *Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime*. The disappearance of a kid from a closed capsule on the London Eye is an intriguing mystery, but the only possible solutions pretty quickly close down to two, and the solving of the mystery seemed slightly anticlimactic. The novel also violates a principle that would have adult mystery fans howling - the key clue to the mystery is not available to the reader.

Most crucially, though, is th
What goes up must come down – unless you’re Ted Sparks’ cousin Salim.

Aunt Gloria and her teenage son Salim are preparing to move from Manchester, England to New York City. Before they leave for the United States, Gloria wants to visit her sister and her family in London. Salim has never been to London so his cousins Ted and Katrina are eager to show him the sights.

They decide to visit one of Ted’s favorite places, the London Eye. The London Eye, also called the Millennium Wheel, is the tallest f
A young boy with Aspergers. A mystery. An English author. These descriptors all might seem as I’m talking about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. Instead I’ve just finished reading The London Eye Mystery, a book that Siobhan Dowd delayed publishing due to Haddon’s book bursting on the scene. Her book is as well-written and thought-provoking as the rest of her titles, as well as simply being a fun romp.

Main character, Ted, isn’t your typical kid. I’m not just sayin
I am not a big fan of books that try to get into the minds of people who don't think in the "normal" way (whatever that is) because I feel that the author might not get it right and give a false representation of that unusual way of thinking, or else give others the sense that their depiction is the way it is for everyone who thinks differently in that manner (I don't think I am being very articulate). And this book makes me uncomfortable along those lines. Also, the cataloger places it under th ...more
I read this with a zany ten year old from Mars. He bloody loved it, and so did I.
What he loved was that there is an actual story. He also spotted the differences in the kids and was very indignant on their behalf. Particularly for the kid who made me cry. You know the one !
What I loved was the humour, kindness and compassion.
This is a clever and lovely book which demands discussion and chocolate. In our case it lead to a,midnight feast.

A quote from the brilliant ten year old who I am lucky to
This truly was an amazing book. The way all of the pieces in the book came together in the end is a sign of an incredible author. I loved the way Salim said "neek" didn't stand for nerd and geek, but was an abbreviation of "unique". That statement is truly true. I wish I had the brains like Ted!... But I'm fine with the one I have right now.
A reasonably good mystery for younger readers, but I found the characterisation of the Asperger's protagonist/narrator inconsistent and not always believable.
Lari Don
I’ve seen this book on the bookshop shelves many times, and never bought it because of the overly blatant ‘does exactly what it says on the tin’ title and the somewhat garish cover. But I finally noticed that it was by Siobhan Dowd, and belatedly bought it for my 11 year old, who stayed up very late one night to finish it (it’s the Christmas holidays, so that was fine) because, as she said, it’s about a boy who goes missing, and she REALLY needed find out if he was ok…
So, on her recommendation,
Lillian Meyer
The London Eye Mystery is the story of how Ted and Kat, who are brother and sister, try to find out what happened to their cousin Salim. All they know is that Salim got onto the London Eye and never got off. This puzzling story had me putting pieces together and figuring everything out till the very end. The London Eye Mystery takes twist and turns and keeps you sucked in till the end.

One of the things I really enjoyed about the book was all the British slang the author included in the writing.
Dylan S

I am currently reading the London eye mystery by Siobhan Dowd. This book is about Ted and Kat two siblings and their cousin Salim. These three kids are on there way to a theme park with a BIG Ferris wheel called the London eye. Ted and Kat are to scared to get on, but Salim gets right on. Thirty minutes pass and the pod that he got in thirty minutes ago reaches the ground, but where's Salim? Well you will just have to read the book to find out! I can REALLY relate to Ted and Kat because
This book is written from the point of view of a boy with a unique syndrome that makes him very smart. I also enjoyed that it took place around the London landmark the London eye which I have ridden on a prior trip to London. I also enjoyed the simplicity of a young adult book!
Agreeing with those who said it's a bit reminiscent of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, although for a younger audience. It is a fast paced story, and I think the audience will enjoy solving the mystery with the kids, although I'm not sure they have the clues to do so as much as they can follow along?

My peeve with the book is in its shape, and this is my new peeve. This is not a 400 page book, but the trim size is so small it makes it seem long. Its not pleasurable (to me) to
We listened to the audio edition, and my almost 10 year-old son and I were absolutely riveted by the story. The narration, by Paul Chequer is excellent, so much so, that when we returned from our road trip with only a fraction of our audio book listened to (as usual), rather than finishing the book more quickly in paperback, we kept listening to it in the car, whenever possible. I found myself wanting to make excuses to go out driving and get stuck in traffic.
Mariam Abood
I read this book tragically after Dowd died. I got it for free from school.

This book had an interesting concept and an interesting plot for me, unfortunately however, I found the characters and execution underwhelming which is why I could only give this 3 stars.

I don't know, I think I was expecting some killer plot twist at the end and that didn't happen.
Chris Griggs
At one point it says:

"I counted the people in the room. Seven. I tried to guess the ages of those I didn't know. Then I added up the ages, actual or approximate, of all present. When I arrived at the figure of 233, and worked out the average age was 33.3 recurring".

It's not. It's 33.2857143.
Ted and his sister are busted. They let their cousin go ride London's largest roller coaster alone and he never came off. How are they going to explain this to their parents and his mother? What happened to their cousin? Through great deductive reasoning that is an Asperger's gift, Ted tries to solve the mystery. His sister, while embarrassed to have to deal with a brother with odd movements and social skills, is the go getter in the family and soon learns to admire her brother and turns his pla ...more
Maureen E
Ted’s Aunt Gloria and cousin Salim are stopping in London to visit on their way to New York to live. While there, Ted, his sister Kate, and Salim set out to go on the London Eye. But due to a mysterious set of circumstances, only Salim ends up going–and when the Eye comes down, he’s not there.

His disappearance threatens to rip the family apart. In the end, it’s up to Ted and Kate to set aside their differences and solve the mystery.

This was a great book. It didn’t sugar-coat Kate and Ted’s relat
I wouldn't say that this was a bad read, but it was a little boring, as far as mysteries go. But I will get to that later. I was expecting Ted to be annoying, but he is a surprisingly likable character. Kat is the annoying one, and I wished several times that she would disappear and never return.

That said - on to the mystery. It was not as involved as I was hoping. The reader does not get the pleasure of solving the case with the characters (though I figured out about half of the answer fairly q
What a great young adult mystery by Siobhan Dowd! I've been meaning to read it for a while, and I finally picked it up when I was desperate for a good mystery read. Reminiscent of Roald Dahl's respect for children and their intelligence and worth, The London Eye Mystery has as its main character and narrator a boy named Ted, whose brain is wired differently than those around him, enabling him to view the world from a less constricted place. When his cousin, Salim, comes for a visit and disappear ...more
Check out others' reviews - I liked this far better than, say, Blue Balliett's mysteries & I think the late Dowd was a wonderful writer. I'm going to put on my nitpicky mystery reader's hat now...

************SPOILERS AND PLOT HOLES AHOY*******************

While the writing was lively & compelling, I was really bothered by the way that cousin Salim disappeared into thin air. His whole plan depended being separated from his mother when getting on the Eye (as his mom would surely recognize h
This novel is another of the twenty books in the middle school Battle of the Books that I judged last weekend. My friend, who coached her granddaughter’s team, said that this novel had an autistic protagonist, though that term is never used in the novel.

Ted and his older sister take their cousin Salim to the London Eye, the huge ferris wheel in downtown London. They see him get on, but he never gets off the pod. Ted, like the characters in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and C
I opened this book with absolutely no expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

The London Eye Mystery is the story of Ted, who has Ausberger's Syndrome (although this is never stated outright in the book) and his older sister, Kat. During a trip with their cousin Salim to ride the famous London Eye Ferris Wheel (which is not a true Ferris wheel I learned), Salim disappears without a trace.

Their family is wreck worrying about Salim and Ted and Kat feel responsible. Working together, the two sibl
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for

Good young adult and middle grade mysteries are sometimes hard to come by. THE LONDON EYE MYSTERY by Siobhan Dowd is one you won't want to miss.

It all starts when Ted's cousin, Salim, comes to visit. Salim and his mother are about to move to New York City and have planned a family visit in London before their departure. Of course, what is a visit to London without a ride on the London Eye? That's when the trouble begins.

Ted and hi
I listened to this book and finished it in the wee hours of this morning after my melatonin failed to keep me sleeping, notwithstanding the honey bunny watching a movie in bed, and the one cat who came in at 3am looking for lovies, upon which the other cat was overcome by a fit of jealous rage and promptly left the room. Thank Goodness for audiobooks. And ipods.

Okay. So. The London Eye Mystery. Susan Schuler had been telling me about this book for years (well, since 2008 anyway, when she read it
Lexi Z
I recently finished THE LONDON EYE MYSTERY By Siobhan Dowd. It's about a girl named Kat and a boy named Ted who take their cousin Salim on the London Eye. Just a friendly little trip on his visit to London, right? Wrong. Salim goes up on the eye, but half an hour later something unexplainable happens. This book was nearly impossible to put down and even got caught reading by the small light of a camping flashlight it left be in suspense the whole book through. I couldn't help shouting out what I ...more
Allie Casey
Is your biggest nightmare when someone you care about goes missing? That is the same thing that happened to brother and sister; Kat and Ted whom have taken their cousin, Salim to the London Eye. This may be a good book to you, but not for me. I didn’t think it was interesting because of the adult content.

The characters whom are in this book are brother and sister: Kat and Ted who try to find evidence of Salim, their cousin’s, disappearance to help their Aunt Gloria find her son. Kat and Ted’s p
I thought this book was really good. I liked how it kept me reading-- I finished it in four hours, with dinner interfering with my reading. It had non-stop action, and the characters all had a mind of their own. The one thing I did not like about it was the end. The main character new the solution, But no one listened to him.
I would recommend it to anyone.
2015 Reading Chal...: The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd 1 11 Jan 20, 2015 02:46AM
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #3)
  • Horton Halfpott; or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M’Lady Luggertuck’s Corset
  • The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
  • Masterpiece
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • Under the Egg
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (Alvin Ho, #1)
  • Eye of the Crow (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • A Drowned Maiden's Hair
  • Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree
  • Heart of a Shepherd
  • Anything But Typical
  • The Calder Game (Chasing Vermeer, #3)
  • Cosmic
  • Down the Rabbit Hole (Echo Falls, #1)
Siobhan Dowd was born to Irish parents and brought up in London. She spent much of her youth visiting the family cottage in Aglish, County Waterford and later the family home in Wicklow Town.
She attended a Catholic grammar school in south London and then gained a degree in Classics at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University. After a short stint in publishing, she joined the writer's organization PEN
More about Siobhan Dowd...

“Knowledge can be like the skin on the surface of the water in a pond, or it can go all the way down to the mud. It can be the tiny tip of the iceberg or the whole hundred percent.” 14 likes
“Salim,' She said, as if he were in the room. 'I'll have your guts for garters.' I has never heard this before and wondered what garters were. Kat told me later that they are what women used to wear around their thighs to keep their stockings up and they were elasticated. I do not think guts would be a tidy way of doing this.” 4 likes