Start by marking “A Book of Dreams” as Want to Read:
A Book of Dreams

Peter Reich

A Book of Dreams

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  20 reviews
While the main focus of this autobiographical memoir is a tender father-son relationship, Peter Reich also provides an uncommon glimpse of enigmatic, controversial Wilhelm Reich at his 200 acre hilltop home in Maine as he strokes the skies with his Cloudbusters and suffers the indignation of seeing his Orgone Energy Accumulators destroyed. Reich’s books -- The Function of ...more
Published April 4th 1974 by Barrie & Jenkins (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about A Book of Dreams, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jason Flynn
Feb 22, 2008 Jason Flynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Kate Bush and all things weird and wonderful.
I had forgotten all about this strange little book. I picked it up at a market in Sydney, having never heard of it. As I read, I thought "I've heard this story somewhere before...", and then, the next time I heard "Cloudbursting" by Kate Bush (one of my favourite songs by one of my favourite singers), it all fell into place. The seemingly nonsensical lyrics pretty much tell this boy's story word for word. His Dad was a demented scientist who developed a luminous but toxic paint, all taces of whi ...more
Adena
Let's force this beautiful book back into print.
Amelia Tizley
Feb 07, 2011 Amelia Tizley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who appreciates beauty.
It's strange how I came about the song "Cloudbusting" through my own father sitting me down on the floor in front of out TV when I was a young girl, showing me all of Kate's videos on the VCR. I forget which song was his favourite; mine was always Cloudbusting, the haunting violins struck a nerve within me, and I'm now Eighteen and every time I listen to it, it feels like the first.
I have been ignorant to learn about the background of the song, because I loved it too much and I was scared that a
Aussiescribbler Aussiescribbler
In a tapestry of dream-like memories Peter Reich relates his experience of something which, when he wrote this book in 1973, he was still struggling to comprehend.

Peter Reich is the son of Wilhelm Reich, one of the most brilliant and controversial thinkers of the twentieth century. He began as a student of Sigmund Freud, but, whereas Freud believed that sexual repression was necessary to provide the structure and driving force for civilisation, Reich believed that it was at the very heart, not o
Garrett Zecker
This book is truly a work of magic. I was not entirely sure what to expect when I picked this up and paid the most money I have ever paid for any used book - but I did know that there was something special about it because of the sheer amount of other works of art that used this text as an inspiration. The book is short, slim, and important, written by a man whose careers spanned journalism and child daycare according to the jacket. I am not sure what other creative writing Mr.Reich did prior to ...more
Daniel E
Peter Reich's narration of his childhood with his father, battling spaceships, and seeing his father carted off to prison for practicing Orgone therapy.

The writing was at times really amazing, I would give this book a rating of five, except that the part where he becomes an aimless hip twenty something in the 60s kind of detracts.

This is the book that Kate Bush wrote Cloudbusting about (see the video, it was shot by Terry Gilliam).
Daniel
Great book. Out-of-print for quite some time but available as an e-book.

Peter Reich recalls his childhood, living with his father, Wilhelm Reich, a controversial psychologist and scientist. He was also a student and contemporary of Freud.

I was fortunate enough to find this at a used book store for $1.50 :D
Zoe Zuniga
One of the most beautiful memoirs ever. I wish the author had more info about himself and what he is up to now but the book is out of print and he has disappeared into anonymity. His sister does not seem to have written anything about their father or his work or how it affected her.
Wheatie
just beautiful. a dream of a book.
Derek
This is an odd, haunting little book.

Written by the son of controversial scientist/psychologist/mystic Wilhelm Reich, it chronicles the author's attempts to honor and come to terms with his father's legacy. It's written in a unique, dream-like style, with flash-forwards, flashbacks, and dreams all mingling with his memories to form an impression of a brilliant, flawed man, whose ideas were far ahead of their time.

I picked the book up primarily because it was the basis for one of my favorite Kate
Scott Conrad
I loved this book. It is a real story written from the perspective of remembered childhood memories of real events. However it is difficult to know what is real and what is the authors childhood fantasy. In some ways it is perhaps a psychologically therapeutic read (depending upon your own childhood experience) I understand why Kate Bush found it so inspiring. I am really glad i sought out this book and read it.
shannon
so on the train this random man says to me "oh have you gone to reich's home in forest hills?" and i said "uhh... no" and ran away because male reich enthusiasts are fucking creepy. for all my interest in abnormal psychiatry [and abnormal psychiatrists] i'd be lying if i said i read this for any other reason than the kate bush song. i am lame that way.
Rachel Jones
J & I just visited the Wilheim Reich museum in Rangeley, Maine. He was a trippy, kooky genius, way ahead of his time, whose life was destroyed by the government. Afterwards, I realized that the Kate Bush song "CloudBusting" was about Reich & his son, Peter. This is the book the song is based on.
K
Fantastic book about one of the most misunderstood persons in history, as well as the victim of one of the worst examples of censorship in the United States. The relationship Wilhelm Reich shared with his son is both touching and eye-opening.
Erik Graff
Sep 21, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wilhelm Reich fan
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Peter Reich was thirteen in 1957, when his father, Wilhelm, died in prison. This book is more about the son than the father, more about sons and fathers in general.
Shawn
This book is amazing. It has the eerie style of John Kennedy tool; there is something about the perspective of an adolescent youth that makes this story very profound.
Eric Bruen
Thank you Kate for introducing me to Peter. And thank you Peter for being way more than I ever expected. Beautiful, personal, memorable... Beautiful
Naomi
all about growing up reich. it whetted my appetite for more details about wilhelm itself. hmm, i guess i don't have much to say about this.
Mary
Oct 27, 2007 Mary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Have had my interest sparked in this memoir and shall check it out...maybe after I must return Dorothy Parker to the library, though!!
Zack
Sep 14, 2010 Zack rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zack by: Kate Bush
Shelves: read-in-2010
Beautiful, haunting, creepy, wonderful. And sad. And bittersweet.
Tombom P
Tombom P marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
erase-rwd
erase-rwd marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Barbára Sìmoes
Barbára Sìmoes marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Karen Bayliss
Karen Bayliss marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Davide
Davide marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Darren Hardy
Darren Hardy marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Lilly
Lilly marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
merit
merit marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
  • Miracles of Life: Shanghai to Shepperton: An Autobiography
  • The Diary of Vaslav Nijinsky
  • And I Alone Survived
  • The Forger: An Extraordinary Story of Survival in Wartime Berlin
  • That Mad Ache & Translator, Trader: An Essay on the Pleasantly Pervasive Paradoxes of Translation (Afterword)
  • My Silent War: The Autobiography of a Spy
  • Self-Consciousness
  • A Confession and Other Religious Writings
  • Kinski Uncut
  • My Last Sigh
A Book of Dreams - The Book That Inspired Kate Bush's Hit Song 'Cloudbusting' A Brief History of Milk Der Traumvater Libro de Sueños Diary of Geza Csath