Start by marking “A Book of Dreams” as Want to Read:
A Book of Dreams
Peter Reich

A Book of Dreams

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  22 reviews
While the main focus of this autobiographical memoir is a tender father-son relationship, Peter Reich also provides an uncommon glimpse of enigmatic, controversial Wilhelm Reich at his 200 acre hilltop home in Maine as he strokes the skies with his Cloudbusters and suffers the indignation of seeing his Orgone Energy Accumulators destroyed. Reich’s books -- The Function of ...more
Published April 4th 1974 by Barrie & Jenkins (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about A Book of Dreams, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Let's force this beautiful book back into print.
Jason Flynn
Feb 22, 2008 Jason Flynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Kate Bush and all things weird and wonderful.
I had forgotten all about this strange little book. I picked it up at a market in Sydney, having never heard of it. As I read, I thought "I've heard this story somewhere before...", and then, the next time I heard "Cloudbursting" by Kate Bush (one of my favourite songs by one of my favourite singers), it all fell into place. The seemingly nonsensical lyrics pretty much tell this boy's story word for word. His Dad was a demented scientist who developed a luminous but toxic paint, all taces of whi ...more
Aussiescribbler Aussiescribbler
In a tapestry of dream-like memories Peter Reich relates his experience of something which, when he wrote this book in 1973, he was still struggling to comprehend.

Peter Reich is the son of Wilhelm Reich, one of the most brilliant and controversial thinkers of the twentieth century. He began as a student of Sigmund Freud, but, whereas Freud believed that sexual repression was necessary to provide the structure and driving force for civilisation, Reich believed that it was at the very heart, not o
Garrett Zecker
This book is truly a work of magic. I was not entirely sure what to expect when I picked this up and paid the most money I have ever paid for any used book - but I did know that there was something special about it because of the sheer amount of other works of art that used this text as an inspiration. The book is short, slim, and important, written by a man whose careers spanned journalism and child daycare according to the jacket. I am not sure what other creative writing Mr.Reich did prior to ...more
Great book. Out-of-print for quite some time but available as an e-book.

Peter Reich recalls his childhood, living with his father, Wilhelm Reich, a controversial psychologist and scientist. He was also a student and contemporary of Freud.

I was fortunate enough to find this at a used book store for $1.50 :D
Daniel E
Peter Reich's narration of his childhood with his father, battling spaceships, and seeing his father carted off to prison for practicing Orgone therapy.

The writing was at times really amazing, I would give this book a rating of five, except that the part where he becomes an aimless hip twenty something in the 60s kind of detracts.

This is the book that Kate Bush wrote Cloudbusting about (see the video, it was shot by Terry Gilliam).
Rachel Jones
J & I just visited the Wilheim Reich museum in Rangeley, Maine. He was a trippy, kooky genius, way ahead of his time, whose life was destroyed by the government. Afterwards, I realized that the Kate Bush song "CloudBusting" was about Reich & his son, Peter. This is the book the song is based on.
Zoe Zuniga
One of the most beautiful memoirs ever. I wish the author had more info about himself and what he is up to now but the book is out of print and he has disappeared into anonymity. His sister does not seem to have written anything about their father or his work or how it affected her.
Fantastic book about one of the most misunderstood persons in history, as well as the victim of one of the worst examples of censorship in the United States. The relationship Wilhelm Reich shared with his son is both touching and eye-opening.
Erik Graff
Sep 21, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wilhelm Reich fan
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Peter Reich was thirteen in 1957, when his father, Wilhelm, died in prison. This book is more about the son than the father, more about sons and fathers in general.
just beautiful. a dream of a book.
An interesting book about a lot of interesting subjects and topics. I've read a little about Orgone Energy in the past and after reading this book I want to look further into it. I definitely recommend reading this book, it's a short read, I got through it in a few reading sessions but it certainly gives you a lot to think about. For William Burroughs fans you've probably already heard about the Orgone Accumulators, it was where I first heard about them myself but I never knew about "A Book of D ...more
This is an odd, haunting little book.

Written by the son of controversial scientist/psychologist/mystic Wilhelm Reich, it chronicles the author's attempts to honor and come to terms with his father's legacy. It's written in a unique, dream-like style, with flash-forwards, flashbacks, and dreams all mingling with his memories to form an impression of a brilliant, flawed man, whose ideas were far ahead of their time.

I picked the book up primarily because it was the basis for one of my favorite Kate
Lovely! On Cloudbusting and the relationship to his father, Wilhelm Reich.
Scott Conrad
I loved this book. It is a real story written from the perspective of remembered childhood memories of real events. However it is difficult to know what is real and what is the authors childhood fantasy. In some ways it is perhaps a psychologically therapeutic read (depending upon your own childhood experience) I understand why Kate Bush found it so inspiring. I am really glad i sought out this book and read it.
so on the train this random man says to me "oh have you gone to reich's home in forest hills?" and i said "uhh... no" and ran away because male reich enthusiasts are fucking creepy. for all my interest in abnormal psychiatry [and abnormal psychiatrists] i'd be lying if i said i read this for any other reason than the kate bush song. i am lame that way.
This book is amazing. It has the eerie style of John Kennedy tool; there is something about the perspective of an adolescent youth that makes this story very profound.
Eric Bruen
Thank you Kate for introducing me to Peter. And thank you Peter for being way more than I ever expected. Beautiful, personal, memorable... Beautiful
all about growing up reich. it whetted my appetite for more details about wilhelm itself. hmm, i guess i don't have much to say about this.
Oct 27, 2007 Mary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Have had my interest sparked in this memoir and shall check it out...maybe after I must return Dorothy Parker to the library, though!!
Sep 14, 2010 Zack rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zack by: Kate Bush
Shelves: read-in-2010
Beautiful, haunting, creepy, wonderful. And sad. And bittersweet.
A sad and beautiful memoir.
Roman Leao
Roman Leao is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2015
Diarmait marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Mirela Radanovic
Mirela Radanovic marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Prose marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Elle Keil
Elle Keil marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Katie is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2015
  • Miracles of Life: Shanghai to Shepperton: An Autobiography
  • The Diary of Vaslav Nijinsky
  • The Movies, Mr. Griffith, And Me
  • The Many Worlds of Hugh Everett III: Multiple Universes, Mutual Assured Destruction, and the Meltdown of a Nuclear Family
  • And I Alone Survived
  • The Spiritual Journey of Alejandro Jodorowsky: The Creator of El Topo
  • Now and Then: A Memoir of Vocation
  • Self-Consciousness
  • Black Sun: The Brief Transit and Violent Eclipse of Harry Crosby
  • That Mad Ache & Translator, Trader: An Essay on the Pleasantly Pervasive Paradoxes of Translation (Afterword)
  • How Poetry Saved My Life: A Hustler's Memoir
A Book of Dreams - The Book That Inspired Kate Bush's Hit Song 'Cloudbusting' A Brief History of Milk Dialog Beruf - Level 1: Arbeitsbuch 1 Der Traumvater Libro de Sueños