Start by marking “My Brother Bert” as Want to Read:
My Brother Bert

My Brother Bert

Bert’s little sister knows that he loves to bring home pets and hide them in his room, and her curiosity about what is going on in there has been building and building. Finally she simply cannot wait any longer to check it out for herself. Inside, she discovers a zoo-worthy collection of animals tucked into every nook and cranny. But after she gets them out and about, can ...more
Published April 27th 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published April 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about My Brother Bert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Brother Bert

Sheri
Mar 14, 2013 Sheri rated it liked it
This was a short rhyming picture book about Bert and his many pets and his sister. She is amazed by all of them and what would happen if they all got out and played. I found the rhyme a stretch to make it work. This is a What If type book and the watercolor pictures are colorful and the story is imaginative.
Yellowpagesgirl
Sep 22, 2011 Yellowpagesgirl rated it liked it
My animal-lover kid really liked this book but we didn't end up reading it more than for a couple of bedtimes before she wanted to move on to something else. My favorite page was about the grumpus. Try not to be dramatic when reading about grumpuses.
Katrina
May 01, 2009 Katrina rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Animal Lovers Ages 3+
Shelves: picture-books
This will make a great read-aloud (combined with "What do you do with a kangaroo?" for an excellent 1-2 punch about crazy animals in the home). Funny good read for the animal lover. Illustrations were ok nothing spectacular. Ages 3+
Marie
Apr 14, 2009 Marie rated it really liked it
Fun rolling verse about a home with more pets than mine! The variety of animals included is really quite impressive. This is the first picture book I've seen that includes pangolins and a grampus! The illustrations depict the lively chaos beautifully.
Sam Bloom
Apr 10, 2009 Sam Bloom rated it really liked it
This will make a great read-aloud (combined with "What do you do with a kangaroo?" for an excellent 1-2 punch about crazy animals in the home). I don't know why Tom Pohrt is listed as the author when it was Ted Hughes... but that doesn't detract from this funny book.
Deb
Oct 31, 2009 Deb rated it it was amazing
Great book for children who love animals. It was great the way the sister was telling the story (imaginary) about the animals in her brother's room. Introduced new and different ones. Very busy illustrated pages.
Vicki
Apr 12, 2013 Vicki rated it it was ok
I know this is intended to be a messy, chaotic story line, but once again I cannot get beyond the illustrations. A cute idea for a story and perhaps reading it aloud one on one would word the best. It could tie in with a family or animal themed story time.
Tricia
Nov 19, 2009 Tricia rated it it was ok
admittedly, i am a tarnished reviewer as i have a grudge with ted hughes (her name is sylvia plath). that being said, this title was okay...redeemed by the illustrations and including some great animals not commonly noted in literature such as the bandicoot and grampus.
Molly
Apr 04, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
Another book about an collage of animals in a home. Funny good read for the animal lover. Illustrations were ok nothing spectavular. Ages 3+
Barb
Aug 30, 2009 Barb rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-gs
I hear the first graders study animals, so this book on uncommon "pets" will be perfect for them!
Jami
Nov 02, 2009 Jami rated it it was ok
Shelves: bedtime-stories
I felt it didn't flow that well plus, I didn't know what a pangolin was. I guess we all learned something today.
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"exotic animals, pets, siblings, mayhem"
The Library Lady
Apr 11, 2009 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The verse by poet Ted Hughes is fine, but it's Tracey Campbell Pearson's always rollicking pictures that make this book wonderful!
Nikki
Apr 29, 2015 Nikki rated it liked it
Shelves: library-reads
Rhymes didn't flow well enough for my liking, but I really liked the pictures!
Jael
Jael rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Violet B
Violet B rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2015
Candace
Candace rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2011
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2016
Aberdeen Children's
Aberdeen Children's rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2009
Mrs. Crummie
Mrs. Crummie rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Meghan
Meghan rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Kimmy
Kimmy rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2010
Dominique Copeland
Dominique Copeland rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2009
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Samuel Rowland
Samuel Rowland rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2015
Meagan
Meagan rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2016
Jase Welburn
Jase Welburn rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
Edward James Hughes was an English poet and children's writer, known as Ted Hughes. His most characteristic verse is without sentimentality, emphasizing the cunning and savagery of animal life in harsh, sometimes disjunctive lines.

The dialect of Hughes's native West Riding area of Yorkshire set the tone of his verse. At Pembroke College, Cambridge, he found folklore and anthropology of particular
More about Ted Hughes...