Start by marking “My Brother Bert” as Want to Read:
My Brother Bert

My Brother Bert

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Bert’s little sister knows that he loves to bring home pets and hide them in his room, and her curiosity about what is going on in there has been building and building. Finally she simply cannot wait any longer to check it out for herself. Inside, she discovers a zoo-worthy collection of animals tucked into every nook and cranny. But after she gets them out and about, can ...more
Published April 27th 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published April 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about My Brother Bert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Brother Bert

Rhymes didn't flow well enough for my liking, but I really liked the pictures!
This was a short rhyming picture book about Bert and his many pets and his sister. She is amazed by all of them and what would happen if they all got out and played. I found the rhyme a stretch to make it work. This is a What If type book and the watercolor pictures are colorful and the story is imaginative.
admittedly, i am a tarnished reviewer as i have a grudge with ted hughes (her name is sylvia plath). that being said, this title was okay...redeemed by the illustrations and including some great animals not commonly noted in literature such as the bandicoot and grampus.
Sam Bloom
This will make a great read-aloud (combined with "What do you do with a kangaroo?" for an excellent 1-2 punch about crazy animals in the home). I don't know why Tom Pohrt is listed as the author when it was Ted Hughes... but that doesn't detract from this funny book.
My animal-lover kid really liked this book but we didn't end up reading it more than for a couple of bedtimes before she wanted to move on to something else. My favorite page was about the grumpus. Try not to be dramatic when reading about grumpuses.
I know this is intended to be a messy, chaotic story line, but once again I cannot get beyond the illustrations. A cute idea for a story and perhaps reading it aloud one on one would word the best. It could tie in with a family or animal themed story time.
Fun rolling verse about a home with more pets than mine! The variety of animals included is really quite impressive. This is the first picture book I've seen that includes pangolins and a grampus! The illustrations depict the lively chaos beautifully.
May 01, 2009 Katrina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Animal Lovers Ages 3+
Shelves: picture-books
This will make a great read-aloud (combined with "What do you do with a kangaroo?" for an excellent 1-2 punch about crazy animals in the home). Funny good read for the animal lover. Illustrations were ok nothing spectacular. Ages 3+
Great book for children who love animals. It was great the way the sister was telling the story (imaginary) about the animals in her brother's room. Introduced new and different ones. Very busy illustrated pages.
Another book about an collage of animals in a home. Funny good read for the animal lover. Illustrations were ok nothing spectavular. Ages 3+
The Library Lady
The verse by poet Ted Hughes is fine, but it's Tracey Campbell Pearson's always rollicking pictures that make this book wonderful!
I felt it didn't flow that well plus, I didn't know what a pangolin was. I guess we all learned something today.
I hear the first graders study animals, so this book on uncommon "pets" will be perfect for them!
"exotic animals, pets, siblings, mayhem"
Cathy marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Megan added it
Apr 27, 2014
Shaney added it
Aug 22, 2013
Edward James Hughes was an English poet and children's writer, known as Ted Hughes. His most characteristic verse is without sentimentality, emphasizing the cunning and savagery of animal life in harsh, sometimes disjunctive lines.

The dialect of Hughes's native West Riding area of Yorkshire set the tone of his verse. At Pembroke College, Cambridge, he found folklore and anthropology of particular
More about Ted Hughes...