Start by marking “Pickup On Noon Street” as Want to Read:
Pickup On Noon Street

Pickup On Noon Street

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  184 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Jednu minutu po sedmé se Pete Anglisch, tajný agent protinarkotického oddělení, převrátil na tvrdé posteli a pohlédl na levné náramkové hodinky na levém zápěstí. V tu chvíli ještě netuší, že už brzy bude proti své vůli vtažen do špinavé pasti Křiváka Waltze a že mu zkříží cestu jedna bledá, křehká dívka v nesnázích, která bude „zatraceně" potřebovat jeho ochranitelskou ruk ...more
Published (first published 1957)

Mairi
Jan 05, 2008 Mairi rated it it was ok
I knew when I started this kick that I would have to keep firmly in mind the time period in which the older pieces were written. Detection methods are more advanced now and the portrayals of women and minorities are frequently infuriating. The first story in this collection of four had a female character that was so tooth-grindingly irritating that I considered just not finishing the rest. But they're stories. They're short. Even if they suck, they don't suck for long. I made it through and, whi ...more
Andy
Aug 14, 2015 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raymond Chandler books are compulsory reading for anyone who aspires to writing a crime novel. In fact I would go so far in calling his writing a textbook for all crime writers to learn from. That being said, I think he's a pretty lazy writer and I can see why film directors like Hitchcock gave him so much grief over his screenplays.

Pickup On Noon Street consists of four short works and lazy writer that he is, Chandler's stories all inhabit the same landscape in all of them:

1. Seedy hotel room.
Freder
May 19, 2009 Freder rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chandler cobbled these stories together to make some of his great novels, and they have much more depth in that format.
Tuck
Jun 17, 2011 Tuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 short stories. all gritty.
Razvan Banciu
Sometimes you had the feeling that you've seen one means you've seen all...
the good guy: private detective, jobless or pennyles, smoker, whiskey drinker, tough, rough, but with a great hart
the girl: anodyne, rather stupid, charmless but somehow atractive, usually a piece of decor
much shooting, much drinkining, some casualities, a bitter-sweet end...
Stephen
Apr 27, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And other stories. Pickup On Noon Street was alright, and so was Smart-Aleck Kill. Nevada Gas had a neat gimmick, but Guns Ay Cyrano's was my favorite. Any one of them could've been filmed during the noir heyday as The Big Sleep was (that movie made no sense, and had nothing in common with the sort except the title) or Farewell, My Lovely (retitled Murder, My Sweet--one of my favorites.) Unfortunately, Chandler wasn't that prolific, but I'd recommend anything he turned out.
Tom Schulte

From Lou Reed to friends recommended this author. I, though, found his vintage crime fiction formulaic and shallow.
Kevin Findley
Feb 01, 2016 Kevin Findley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, chandler
I thoroughly enjoyed each tale, with Nevada Gas being my favorite. For prose that jumps off the page and slaps you upside the head, there are few better than Chandler.
Robby
Mar 20, 2009 Robby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chandler uses words like no one else. His vernacular is both ridiculous and perfect. Dive in - it will take you an hour to punch through all four stories. His writing is tough, sparse, and beautifully to the point. Everything is described in such great detail but with such minimal language. Enjoy the booze, cigarettes, money, cons, and dicks.
Ismael Galvan
To be fair, I didn't finish this book. I was excited about reading another work by a master of the hard boiled school. For me, the short stories in "Pick Up in Noon Street" didn't have the brilliant quality of his novels. It'll hold for hardcore fans of Chandler, but I'd guide anyone else to his better works.
Tom
Jul 01, 2009 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The short stories here aren't Marlowe stories. They're still good, and you can see the beginnings of Marlowe (I think beginnings, I'm not sure when these were written in relation to Marlowe) in the detectives. A decent read, and if nothing else, you get Chandler's superb word play. Which his always worth it.
Jerometed
Sep 29, 2008 Jerometed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chandler's descriptions pulled me into the book by my nostrils, and his plot twists wrenched my head around till I didn't know where I stood.

I'm reading the big sleep now- and I'm reading it slowly.
Bob
Jun 25, 2010 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book difinitely has more of the gangster language made famous in Chandler's works. The stories are not as strong as the novels, though.
Phillip Frey
Jul 10, 2012 Phillip Frey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes crime fiction.
Not as great as "Farewell, My Lovely" or "The Big Sleep," yet quite satisfying. The descriptive paragraphs are top Chandler.
David Reynolds
Gotta love these old detective novels!
Victoria Lewis
Love Raymond Chandler.
Steve Scher
Steve Scher rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Joshua Simon
Joshua Simon rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
A
A marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Jonathan Jones
Jonathan Jones marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Harmon Taber
Harmon Taber rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Rus Healy
Rus Healy rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Hari Brandl
Hari Brandl marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Dixon
Dixon marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Siggimaggi
Siggimaggi rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Feb 16, 2016
  • The Big Knockover: Selected Stories and Short Novels
  • You Live Once
  • Nightfall
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • The Ivory Grin
  • The Real Cool Killers (Harlem Cycle, #2)
  • Saint V. Scotland Yard
  • I Should Have Stayed Home
  • Cropper's Cabin
  • Dead Calm
  • Survival Zero
  • The Butterfly
  • 361 (Hard Case Crime #9)
Raymond Thornton Chandler was an American novelist and screenwriter.

In 1932, at age forty-four, Raymond Chandler decided to become a detective fiction writer after losing his job as an oil company executive during the Depression. His first short story, "Blackmailers Don't Shoot", was published in 1933 in Black Mask, a popular pulp magazine. His first novel, The Big Sleep, was published in 1939. In
More about Raymond Chandler...