Start by marking “In Full Bloom” as Want to Read:
In Full Bloom

In Full Bloom

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In Caroline Hwang's debut novel, In Full Bloom, all Ginger Lee wants is a promotion at the fashion glossy A la Mode magazine. All her mother wants is a nice, professional Korean son-in-law. Unable to keep her mother at bay, Ginger reluctantly agrees to let her play matchmaker.

At work, Ginger's efforts at advancement are thwarted by style fiends better practiced in the art
Published January 27th 2004 by Plume (first published January 27th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about In Full Bloom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Full Bloom

Ari
Ginger claims she wants complete independence from her mother, but it's easy to say that she's very dependent on her. She admires her mother and is more forgiving of her mother's actions than others might be, but it also sounds like Ginger's mom is not the traditional strict Korean mother. Ginger's mother disowned Ginger's brother, George after he married a white American woman and so Ginger is all she has left. She is determined to see Ginger marry a Korean man and is convinced Ginger needs her ...more
Karine
The story revolves around Ginger a Korean-American working at a fashion magazine. Right at the beginning, with barely any chance to take a breath, Ginger’s mother arrives in town to find her a Korean husband. Wanting only to further her career, she finally agrees to allow her mother to find her someone suitable.

As the story evolves, so does Ginger, trying to understand being a Korean, born and raised in America, and its challenges within the family infrastructure. Not only are we taken for a rid
Synesthesia (SPIDERS!)
This was a good book about a Korean-American woman trying to find herself and fit into the Korean world of her mother who wanted her to get married to a Korean man right away and the American world where she was trying to establish herself and start a career.
I was torn when it came to her mother because she cared about her, but she kept saying how her bloom was fading and how she had better find a man. I didn't like the way she disowned her son George for marrying a white woman either. That wasn
alexandra
Delightful story of a 20-something trying to make her way in the world of work after dropping out of her PhD. program. Add to this her Korean mother who comes for an extended visit, knowing a nice Korean husband and children is all Ginger needs to make her life complete.
Not for my YA's, but I adored it!
Heather Driscoll
Ever since I learned Korean, I have been fascinated with the culture.

This is a fictional story of Ginger, a 27 year old Korean-American woman, whose mother is determined to set her up to marry a good Korean doctor. Ginger has no desire to marry, and even less desire to continue with the traditional Korean culture rules. One man that her mother sets her up with turns out to be engaged - and not to a Korean woman. Ginger's mom tries to get her to break up the engagement!

The book isn't only about
Eugene Lee
The most "American" protagonist of the Korean-American books I've been reading lately, Ginger deals with a Korean mom determined to find her a husband, an insanely political (and funny) environment at the fashion magazine where she works, and a long-standing rift between her brother and her mother. Hwang writes with a clear and authentic Korean-American voice that I could completely relate to, and her characters and plot lines are amusing but believable, and real. Truly enjoyed this book.
Katie M.
Chick-lit loud and proud, but surprisingly satisfying. And two thumbs up for making the fashion-magazine-working main character complex enough to actually have A NICE RELATIONSHIP with her meddling, matchmaking Korean mom. Imagine that, an Asian mom who isn't just a hilarious stereotype. Delightful.
Fred Daly
Korean-American Chick lit! The protagonists's mother wants her to marry a Korean guy. I liked that part, and her musings on identity. I did not care for the scenes at her workplace, a fashion magazine that seems to employ nothing but horrible, self-centered, stupid people with pointless lives.
Deborah
Ginger's mother shows up and says she won't return home until her daughter finds a Korean husband. Cute story about Ginger's relationship with her mom, best friend, other Koreans and co-workers. The story doesn't have the typical 'happy ending' but that is okay because that's how life really is!
Karen Chow
The Korean cultural inserts in the book were interesting, like Amy Tan's Joy Luck Club. I also liked the references to Pride and Prejudice. However, the story was okay and the ending was anticlimatic. I wouldn't read this again.
Hoan
I rather enjoyed this read. Great statements and it felt like a-coming-of-age book for adults in a dual cultural world. I thought was also very beautifully written and a bit rhetorical.
Jessica Shin
Aug 18, 2007 Jessica Shin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jenny
My mom is bothering me about finding a guy and getting married, so I could sympathize with the character. Cute insight into the Korean culture and all the talk about food got me hungry!
souffle
Feb 23, 2008 souffle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: polarjelly, jenni-soar
I love this book!! its a great example of how a girl can just be herself. She overcomes her own stereotypes of her family who are Korean and I believe that is a great lesson
Lorraine
Not bad - more thought-provoking than most chick-lit - didn't like the ending, so that kills it for me.
Amy
cute, easy read. Being an adoptee from Asia, I found some of the stereotypes relatable and funny.
Rosalyn Park
Apart from the fashion industry lifestyle, this book is so my life right now.
Laureen Cutrona
made me laugh out loud at times, thinking of my own korean mother
Bomina
a little too full of cliches, but I still laughed out loud.
sarah
easy read. interesting insight into culture.
Carena
Aug 03, 2011 Carena added it
i dont like this book at all.
Michelle
Thought it ended weakly.
Jemile Nesimi
Fun beach read. Very Funny.
Angeli
Angeli marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Francis Qhirimy
Francis Qhirimy marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Ana Villalobos
Ana Villalobos marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Rieta Ganas
Rieta Ganas marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Anamaria021
Anamaria021 marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Ari
Ari marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
  • The Dim Sum of All Things
  • Fox Girl
  • All I Asking for Is My Body (Kolowalu Book)
  • Cat's Meow
  • Johnny Hiro
  • AN Ideal Husband; A Woman of No Importance
  • The Interpreter
  • Foreign Tongue: A Novel of Life and Love in Paris
The Meat Club Cookbook: For Gals Who Love Their Meat! The Meat Club Cookbook: For Gals Who Love Their Meat!