Start by marking “Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett, #4)” as Want to Read:
Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett, #4)

Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett #4)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  2,484 ratings  ·  175 reviews
Shaken by the brutal killing of a wild moose, game warden Joe Pickett becomes increasingly alarmed when a herd of cattle, and then two people, are murdered by the same perpetrator.
Published June 17th 2004 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Trophy Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trophy Hunt

Rex Fuller
There were things about this book I enjoyed, especially the clever use of cattle mutilations without taking sides. However, for reasons that escape me Box had Joe Pickett thinking about and dealing with events driven by paranormal or mystical phenomena. The Joe Pickett I know and the world he operates in is as real as a rifle shot. So, the overall experience was like returning to the old neighborhood and finding it invaded by fast food joints.
Pat
Gee, every time I finish a Joe Pickett mystery, I just wanna keep living with him and his family!
As always, Box creates a full, multifaceted portrait of The Man, his wife and daughters. Marybeth is the kind of wife any man would dream of: funny, smart, capable, uncomplaining, ever loyal--and ready to hop in the sack. Sheridan continues to fascinate for the way her adult-like complexity is captured.
This go-round's crimes are highly gory and hard to comprehend. A slew of red herrings is tossed to
Anthony
I like CJ Box. Savage Run and Winterkill were both good pot boilers that showed him becoming a better writer in this genre. Trophy Hunt I felt was a step back. There was a weirdness to the story that just didn't fit. It was like taking part of a slasher film and transplanting it to a Joe Pickett book. Or maybe an X-Files to a Joe Pickett book. It just didn't quite work. Also the whole metaphysical stuff with Nate didn't make a whole lot of sense and found myself skipping those paragraphs. CJ wen ...more
Wesley
This almost got 3 but the last few chapters didn't quit and gave it the push to 4. This is a good story in the events of joe Pickett, reminds me of a wilderness criminal minds episode. Not as good as 3 but I think it might set up some diversity for the book "Out Of Range", hope so, still it WAS worth my time and I enjoyed this.
Joyce Lagow
4th in the Joe Pickett series.[return][return]Joe discovers the disfigured corpse of a moose while on a fishing trip with his daughters. There are odd overtones to the discovery, but all Joe knows for sure is that someone or something has mutilated the corpse. A grizzly is known to be in the area, and while at first glance, this may seem to be the work of a bear, there is something about the kill that doesn� t sit right with Joe; the corpse has been mutilated but not fed on.[return][return]Then ...more
Shannon
Wow - this is my favorite Joe Pickett so far. Joe has to deal with the jerk Sheriff Barnum, self-centered FBI agent Portensen, some suspicious returnees to Saddlestring, aliens, a wandering grizzly, a deeply disturbed sexually wild 'abductee', weird pressure phenomenon and a whack-a-do "scientist". Yes, it mostly all comes together and quite surprisingly. I don't believe some of the animal mutilations were ever quite resolved but the gist of the human murders were definitely solved and in quite ...more
John
C J Box will not be confused with great literature but he is a pretty good read. I suspect most will enjoy the flavor of the mountain west and Box gives the reader a nice picture. The plot mostly holds together except the infuriating "woo woo" of the unresolved portions. Box's main character, Joe Picket, says he hates woo-woo, as do I and all intelligent folk, nevertheless Box leaves the air full of woo-woo as he resolves the story of Trophy Hunt. He should be ashamed.
Dorothy
So, I finally got around to reading the fourth entry in C. J. Box's Joe Pickett series. I had found the first three books fairly enjoyable reading, but I have to say this one was a bit of a disappointment.

The events here take place several months after those described in the third book where the Pickett family suffered a great tragedy when their foster daughter was killed. In this book, Joe and his two daughters seem to have moved on, but the wife, Marybeth, still mourns the little girl.

The fami
Pattianne
Trophy Hunt - Joe Pickett #4 - 4th in the Joe Pickett series. Joe discovers the disfigured corpse of a moose while on a fishing trip with his daughters. There are odd overtones to the discovery, but all Joe knows for sure is that someone or something has mutilated the corpse. A grizzly is known to be in the area, and while at first glance, this may seem to be the work of a bear, there is something about the kill that doesn't sit right with Joe; the corpse has been mutilated but not fed on. Then ...more
Jayme
Suspense/Mystery literature is not generally one of my favorite genres however there is something about Joe Picket that draws you in and keeps you wanting to read on in the next book. C.J. Box's Joe Picket series is a fast paced read that keeps you engaged and guessing.
Linda
Joe Pickett, a game warden in Wyoming, discovers a dead, mutilated moose when out fishing with his daughters. Then there are some dead mutilated cows and two people.

What is happening in his jurisdiction? Joe wants to know and so do the people who live in the area. Property values have gone down and people don't feel safe. Joe is determined to find out the answers while battling with Sheriff Barnum who despises him, though the feeling is mutual.

Fairly fast paced story with a surprise. Sometimes y
Alan Mills
Bette
I spent a week reading the Joe Pickett stories 1-4, and honestly enjoying them. I read the latest one first, and was interested enough to go back and start with book #1. I don't think he was equipped enough to handle the subject of mutilations, along with telling about his burdensome relationships - like with the sheriff and his cronies, as well as his other relationships.
Also, I may have totally missed it, but it seemed that his dog, Maxine, just appeared out of the blue, instead of being intro
Marek
Once again, Box creates a thrilling story surrounding the Wyoming wilderness of Joe Pickett, game warden. He is always able to showcase an issue prevalent for that area of the world and not take sides, allowing the reader to choose for himself/herself where they stand on the issue. But this isn't just an environmental issue; Pickett finds himself in the center of a sinister plot between unlikely candidates.

I came upon the Joe Pickett series by happenstance on the recommendation of a friend, and
Matthew Beck
A little slower to start than the previous books, at least for me, but gets rolling soon enough. A more unwieldy plot, as well. Nate Romonowski is exploring some kind of alternate reality, which is fun, and I expect that thread will continue as the series goes on. Also explores Marybeth's attractiveness to other men (and her attraction to Nate) more than I remember. Writing about these more nuanced domestic issues will be a challenge for Box, whose idyllic picture of the Picketts' marriage is ra ...more
Chris
little blood but enjoyed it.
"Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett faces his most dangerous adversary yet in award-winning author C. J. Box's thrilling new novel. It's an idyllic late summer day in Saddlestring, Wyoming, and game warden Joe Pickett is fly-fishing with his two daughters when he stumbles upon the mutilated body of a moose. Whatever-or whoever-attacked the animal was ruthless: Half the animal's face has been sliced away, the skin peeled back from the flesh. Shaken by the assault, Pickett
Rich
After so much talk of author CJ Box in my community (I live in the same town as the author), I figured it was high time I gave him a try. This was my first CJ Box book and I was impressed.

As far as the story goes, while it may be a bit far-fetched and had some loose ends that were never tied up, it was a quick, fun read with a solid mystery that kept me turning the pages.

Joe Pickett, local game warden and our hero, is a classic Wyoming game warden and very easy to root for. The other characters
Patrick
Imagine this, You and your daughters on sharing stories on the river. Fishing is the only time you get to spend with your kids. Traveling up river to gain a better chance at bigger fish when you stumble upon a a dead, mutilated moose. This moose is horribly mutilated and has no signs of predation. Its a serious mystery to how this moose died and who, or what, mutilated it. But there's more...
Joe Picket is the main character in these novels. He is a Wyoming Game Warden and he loves his job. Joe h
Esme
Trophy Hunt ist der vierte Roman mit Joe Picket, dem Jagdaufseher in Wyoming. Im Twelve Sleep County geht Merkwürdiges vor sich. Joe Pickett findet einen getöteten Elch, dem Gesicht und Genitalien abgeschnitten wurden, sogar Aasfresser mieden den Kadaver. Eine Herde Rinder wird auf dieselbe Art verstümmelt. Und schließlich sind die nächsten Opfer zwei Männer. Die Verletzungen sind detailreich beschrieben, aber nicht nur zum Selbstzweck des Schockierens. Das Buch gewinnt dadurch eine gruselige At ...more
The Crime Scene Scene
Trophy Hunt is the fourth novel in the Joe Pickett series by author CJ Box. When dead cattle start appearing all over Wyoming with their faces skinned and genitals and entrails missing, along with two dead bodies suffering the same fate, Joe Pickett is assigned to a task force involving the FBI and local law enforcement to track down the killers responsible. Wild theories are proposed and the situation is not helped when an alien investigator Cleve Garrett turns up. Is something unknown at work ...more
Melanie (aka Serial Reader)
I really like Joe Pickett. He's not a simple man. He wants just to do his job as a Wildlife warden and be a husband and father, but life keeps getting in his way. This is the fourth in a series of Joe Pickett novels. Joe stumbles on a mutilated moose carcass - mutilated in a gruesome manner. The story tracks through mutilated cows, horses and humans, with a grizzley thrown in. It's a fast-paced mystery, not solved til very nearly the end of the story.

I like the personality conflicts between Joe
Michelle DePaepe
This was my first Joe Pickett novel by C.J. Box, and I have to admit, I liked it a lot. You get a great feel for the land in Wyoming as you ride along with Joe as he faces challenge after challenge in trying to solve the mystery of the cattle (and human) mutilations in this western mystery. Some readers have expressed a little discomfort about the "woo woo" elements in the story, but it would seem untrue to the conjecture about these mysterious events without including the theory of aliens as a ...more
Bill
Nov 21, 2013 Bill rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, Thriller aficionados.
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Another Joe Pickett novel behind me. These books are really hard to put down. I listen to (most of)them via Audible.com while working out or doing mindless tasks.

Warden Pickett is caught up in a dreadful conspiracy after finding an elk that has been mutilated with what appear to be sharp knives. Mysteriously, the dead elk has not been eaten by coyotes or bears. Soon, he learns of similar mutilations to local cattle. Before long, a local man is found dead and mutilated. Now things are getting bru
Lisa
I didn't realize this was book 4 in the series until I started listening to it. I haven't read book 3 yet so some of the things they talked about I wasn't aware of. Some of the plots in the book I felt were too involved and I feel like the author has the characters be so naive about some things and get too hooked on conclusions they have drawn. Also I couldn't understand why Joe didn't make more of an issue about the weird guy in the cabin long before he did.
Shoe
Man, this was a step back for me with the Joe Pickett novels. I really loved Winterkill and this really didn't tie up the loose ends neatly like all of his previous books did. I cannot give it more the three, really should be 2.5. I really love this author and hope his next in the series is back on track with the first three and Blue Heaven. Something was just off with this book.........there were too many issues that were never cleared up.....what about the smells???.....what about the wierd ch ...more
Frank
This is the 4th in the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box. I have been reading these in order and I continue to find this to be one of the better mystery/thriller series out there. In this book, Pickett gets involved in some murders related to cattle and other animal mutilations. He tries to find out who or what is doing the mutilations -- could it be aliens, deranged people, or birds as the FBI concluded in a similar series of mutilations in the 1970s? And how are the mutilations related to some la ...more
LJ
TROPHY HUNT (Game Warden) – G
C. J. Box – 4th in series
G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 2004 – Hardcover
It’s bad enough when Joe finds the mutilated body of a moose, but when similar mutilations are found on dead cattle and then two men, it becomes clear that the predator has two legs rather than four.
*** After Box’s first three excellent books, I found this a bit lacking. It felt very slow at times and had a number of things left unexplained. I don’t mind the element of mysticism but it didn’t feel complete.
Anderson County Library
Trophy Hunt by C.J. Box kept me guessing all the way to the end. I have just discovered this author, and am glad I did. Trophy Hunt is another book about the life of a game warden, Joe Pickett, but this one touches on the paranormal — or does it? Reading a murder mystery that also stresses the virtues of life is refreshing.
Chris
I try not to read anything about this series before I start each one. The title would suggest we have some cabal of trophy hunters stealthily roaming the hills with impunity. Far from it as we are dealing with cattle mutilations and the hysteria associated with "the unexplainable." Mutilated game and range animals moves to humans. Joe locks horns with the local sheriff, the perpetual asshole and corrupt Barnum. The only person Joe can rely on to cover his back is Nate. There's also a weirdness a ...more
Brian
C. J. Box books on Wyoming and the game warden Pickett are well developed plots that are intriguing stories. This was an interesting read about the cattle mutilations and then human and the imagination of the author to develop a plausible and interesting plot. A very good read.
  • The Dark Horse (Walt Longmire, #5)
  • Mercy Falls (Cork O'Connor, #5)
  • Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6)
  • Dead Silence (Doc Ford, #16)
  • North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)
Edgar Award-winning author C.J. Box is the author of nineteen novels including the Joe Pickett series. He's also won the Anthony Award, Prix Calibre 38 (France), the Macavity Award, the Gumshoe Award, and the Barry Award. His short stories have been featured in America's Best Mystery Stories of 2006 and limited-edition printings. 2008 novel BLOOD TRAIL was nominated for the International IMPAC Dub ...more
More about C.J. Box...
Open Season (Joe Pickett, #1) Blue Heaven Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2) Force Of Nature (Joe Pickett, #12) Winterkill (Joe Pickett, #3)