Start by marking “The Golden Gizmo” as Want to Read:
The Golden Gizmo

The Golden Gizmo

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Toddy Kent would be another footstore gold buyer hustling brooches from Los Angeles housewives if he hadn't been born with a "gizmio, " the sixth sense that guides him to where the easy money is. Now Toddy's gizmo has steered him to a seemingly unlimited source of pure, unadulterated--and convienently illicit--gold. The only problem is that Toddy's gizmo has a tendency to ...more
Published May 26th 1998 by Vintage (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Gizmo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Gizmo

Brian
When it’s well over 100 degrees and you’re trying to find comfort in your drought addled, heat stroked confines it’s the right time to serve yourself up some 1950s crime fiction – hard boiled, naturally.

Despite its weak title this short, fast moving novel has a lot going for it. The protagonist is a small time con man with a long streak of getting himself out of hotspots while searching for the next grift. Thompson moves the action along mainly through the use of dialogue giving the story a fran
Kirk Smith
One of the lowest rated Thompsons, but still good. I do certainly love his style. Oh, and there was a trained Doberman that could practically speak the human language. A good bit of fun.
Stephanie
Another great read by Mr. Thompson. I know I'm a complete sell out for anything this guy wrote but still,it doesn't change the fact that it becomes a bit more obvious every single time that Thompson is the master of Pulp/Pop fiction.
I mean seriously, who can introduce a talking dog in a book and still manage for every reader to be like: yeah, makes sense, pretty common, I buy that? Jim Thompson, that's who.
The Golden Gizmo is like any other Jim's books, it makes you feel like you're driving full
Titus G
Mediocre plot but an interesting protagonist with a fascinating outlook based on his temporary propensity to succeed when doing what he knows is wrong. Strange Elaine, evil and horrendously drunk. Petty local hoods playing at protection, A smorgasbord of oddities.
Anders
Jim Thompson - always amusing, and unpredictable, double-crossing characters, greed, etc. This one i didn't find as gripping as some other Thompsons but it's diggable stuff, talking dog and chinless man included.
Bookendsused Pefferly
I found a clutch of Jim Thompson novels at the Goodwill. It was like winning the lottery (in a Jim Thompson kind of way).

I immediately devoured this one. I liked it a lot. The Golden Gizmo is a sort of 6th Sense that the protagonist has that either leads him to hidden riches or hidden trouble. As one would expect from Thompson, it was an excellent crime novel with a few surreal touches to keep it from being bland. I liked the talking Doberman myself.

It's not quite up there with The Master and M
Jess
ahhh. yeah, there's the fix. lotsa pulpy, page-swishing plot with 2 or 3 good twists that come faster and harder as you reach the end of the book. all the must-haves are here: the con man, the cold-hearted dame, the good girl, the old-school hardass, the freaky guy ... oh, and a talking dog. never quite figured out the dog's reason for being here -- other than to increase the freak factor of the freaky guy -- but whatevs. it didn't distract at all from the story of a guy who has to cut some ugly ...more
David
Six months from now, I will remember three things about this novel: (1) A female characters gets pistol-whipped in the breasts; (2) the protagonist revives a dying woman with coffee and then immediately has sex with her; and (3) there is a talking dog.
David
Idiotic worthless drivel. Anachronistic dialect, flat characters with incomprehensible motives. Can I give it 0 stars?
Phillip Frey
Aug 24, 2012 Phillip Frey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes sinister crime stories.
Toddy Kent has a sixth sense, one that guides him to where the easy money is. Something that will unexpectedly lead to his wife's murder. What follows is Kent's attempt to escape from those who then pursue him.
David
Toddy's got a sense for a short con. He calls it his golden gizmo yet it eventually it always leads to trouble. When he is framed for a crime he didn't commit what results is a clever, if some what generic noir.
Neil McCrea
The goofiest and least convincing of all Jim Thompson's work, that said it is still a Jim Thompson novel and you could make a much worse choice in your reading material.
Bryn Powell
I have read many books by Jim Thompson and all were excellent, but this was nonsense. An awful book.
Bruce
Fascinating, furious, and funny. One of Thompson's lightest book...but still a good portion of noir.
Neil
although the plot is handwavey, it's pure pulp,
and delivers on that. even has a chase sequence!
Danpolonsky
Dec 06, 2007 Danpolonsky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hard boiled people who are always on the grift.
...Never trust a talking dog, a man with no chin, dames, and anyone else you might meet.
Pdxjackie
Kind of campy, and certainly rollicking- I thought this book was tons of fun. Violent, evil fun.
Nick
Not bad.... not great either.

The plot kind of simmered out and never really peaked.
Margaret
Alright, I'll ask.
What's up with the talking dog?
Jason
Pretty weak for Jimbo but i still kinda liked it
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Lín
Lín marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Jeffrey Brogan
Jeffrey Brogan marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
MajorTom 82
MajorTom 82 marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Briggy
Briggy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
  • Who Goes There?
  • The Bachman Books
  • Gone South
  • The Butterfly
  • Unknown Man #89 (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • Deep as the Marrow
  • Savage Art: A  Biography of Jim Thompson
  • Where is Janice Gantry?
  • Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye

James Myers Thompson was a United States writer of novels, short stories and screenplays, largely in the hardboiled style of crime fiction.

Thompson wrote more than thirty novels, the majority of which were original paperback publications by pulp fiction houses, from the lat
More about Jim Thompson...
The Killer Inside Me The Grifters Pop. 1280 The Getaway After Dark, My Sweet