Start by marking “Roughneck” as Want to Read:
Roughneck

Roughneck

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  25 reviews
This is an ebullient hybrid of a literary memoir, where Thompson consorts with corpses and con-men, gets editorial criticism from a big hearted prostitute, writes a labour history for the Workers Party of America, and nearly starts an earthquake while trying to resuscitate a defunct oil well.
Published May 26th 1998 by Vintage (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Roughneck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roughneck

notgettingenough
Reviewed in conjunction with La Douleur

Sometimes you read a book that makes you feel ashamed of your life, every time you thought you were unlucky or that you deserve more or that you should get more. Whatever you have suffered, however genuine it be, suddenly becomes as nothing, its place clearly fixed in the universe as the measliest dot the world ever has seen. Roughneck does that. It describes a portion of his life in the pared down, straightforward way Thompson tells all his stories. Nothin
Daniel
Sep 03, 2014 Daniel rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mct
A kind of memoir told in a series of essays ("Chapters") which amount to various recollections from his early life. Some are funny and many are sad. Most of them are full of amusing characters of the low rent Dickens style. A few favorites:

- the boss who "looked like a demon and talked like a baby" who was always too drunk to stand up, so he'd taken to just turning around in his office chair and pissing out the window rather than go to the restroom. But he also a genius accountant. So good that
Bob Mackey
Roughneck, the follow-up to Thompson's Bad Boy (1953), picks up where the first chunk of his autobiography left off by tracing the author's path from hard-scrabble day laborer to paid writer. And just like Bad Boy, Roughneck takes an anecdotal approach, with each chapter acting as a slightly exaggerated Grandpa Simpson-esque tale about getting by during The Great Depression.

While some of these stories stretch the limits of credulity, Thompson portrays himself as a compassionate, understanding m
Raegan Butcher
Sequel to "Bad Boy" following the author's years as an oilfield worker, among other things.
Tim Mayer
One of my weekly enjoyments is book shopping through the local thrift stores. Every now and then, I will find something good. I haven't found much to sell on Ebay; the competition for those finds are fierce. But it can be rewarding to locate some dusty paperback you've always wanted to read, just never had the time, money or inclination. I really need to actually pull the books out of the pile and start reading The Harrad Experiment, The Sterile Cuckoo, or Death Turns A Smile before they disinte ...more
Remy

Jim Thompson wrote this memoir in the '50s about being a young man in the Depression years (he was born in 1906). Thompson had always been a writer, but was distracted during these tough times by the need of food etc. This book covers his life up to writing his first novel (After Dark, My Sweet? It doesnt say, but that's listed as such elsewhere), in his mid thirties. There were great parts in this, but there were times when it felt a bit odd and disjointed.
Oklee
This book was part of the "LET'S TALK ABOUT IT OKLAHOMA EXPERIENCE: THE 1930's" Discussion group. I loved the book but hated the ending. It was actually a collection of vignettes that may have been real or fiction. It was hard to tell. I enjoyed having to opportunity to hear about Oklahoma during the depression. I imagined my father living with the events that were described in this book and wondered if he knew Jim Thompson. The adventures were sad yet funny as told by Mr. Thompson. The writing ...more
Ethan
This one reminded me of "On the Road". It seems like Thompson inspired Kerouac or Kerouac inspired Thompson.
Matt Phillips
Not the greatest of Thompson's writing, but one hell of a story.
Gregg
Part biography, part fiction, but it's tough to tell where he draws the line. This is pulp writer Jim Thompson's sort-of-life story, where he works in a variety of jobs (mortician's assistant, newspaper writer, oil fields, etc.) and trying to keep his and his family's heads above water while continually writing and trying to make it big. Engrossing, although the ending wasn't so much of a conclusion as just a dead stop. I think his out-and-out fiction is much better.
Emma Lynne
oh Jim Thompson you never seem to let me down. This collection of "semi-autobiographical" stories was a quick read. Thompson has a way of making the insane & absurd seem so normal, believable, and true, that I found myself wondering how much of this was actually embellished and how much of it was understated. It's interesting to see the seeds of other novels in these stories, as well.
Grig O'
At the end of Bad Boy i was left wanting more, and this is it. By the end of Roughneck you have a general picture of Thompson the man - he doesn't let you see more than you need to, but there are many moments of surprise. Together with Bad Boy they make a 5-star life story of a 5-star man.
Benoit Lelievre
You get what you pay for I guess. "Selected Stories from Jim Thompson's life, told by the author". Some are downright hilarious, some are ordinary and borderline miserable. Still, great insight on how a man like this came to revolutionize noir. I appreciated it, but I'm sure his novels are better.
Liz
Jul 02, 2009 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of noir and hard boiled mysteries
You read a Jim Thompson novel and wonder why he is so dark, then you read his autobio and say oh, that's why. Incredible story of (barely) surviving the depression as a writer and a ne'er do well. Intense. (and short!)

I just re-read it, which is unusual for me. As good the second time.
Francis
Jim Thompson lays out his life in short terse sentences without apologies and very little moralizing, just trying to make ends meet in very tough times along with a cigarette a drink and a touch of humour here and there.

Highly recommended.
Andy
Jul 02, 2008 Andy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hard working stiffs
Shelves: pulp-fiction
Kinda sorta the sequel to "Bad Boy" and reminiscent of Bukowski's "Factotum" where he recalls all the crummy jobs he had to toil at before penning his brilliant noir classics. I worked a lot of similar gigs that he did = misery loves company.
Jon
It's an autobiography, and surprisingly ho-hum, considering the author's manic way-up, way-down, hardscrabble life.

Read all the fiction, and if you still need the cure, this'll do it.
Arpad Lep
Apr 07, 2008 Arpad Lep rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thompson fans
Shelves: fiction
this is the semi-true semi-passed on autobio bio book. read this after you are done reading thompson books, because it kind of has the seeds for a lot of his other books in it.
Shane Baker
The 2nd memoir after [ book: bad boy]. Jim Thompson was a hardboiled pulp writer, and these books are the story of him barely surviving during the great depression.
Gerard Milewski
The only thing better than his novels, which are universally enjoyable, is reading this autobiography and realizing that his real life was far more interesting.
Thomas
Oct 09, 2010 Thomas marked it as library
So far, this book feels shockingly like John Fante's "Wait Until Spring, Bandini" and "The Road to Los Angeles" in tone. Maybe it's a generational thing.
Ben
The Great Depression sure did suck a lot.
Reger "Muddy" Dipling
Second autobiography of Jim Thompson.
Printable Tire
Random book I read #45768-B.
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Stephen Defilippis
Stephen Defilippis marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Molly Adams
Molly Adams marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Troels Krankér
Troels Krankér marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Darren
Darren marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • Hollywood Nocturnes
  • Okinawa: The Last Battle of World War II
  • Navigator
  • The Union Club Mysteries
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • The Battle of Mogadishu: First Hand Accounts From the Men of Task Force Ranger
  • Who Goes There?
  • Unknown Man #89 (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • The Wild Blue: The Men and Boys Who Flew the B-24s Over Germany 1944-45
  • Deep as the Marrow
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Other American Stories
  • Cassidy's Girl
  • Gone South
  • Claw Your Way to the Top: How to Become the Head of a Major Corporation in Roughly a Week
  • Savage Art: A  Biography of Jim Thompson
  • I'd Rather We Got Casinos: And Other Black Thoughts

James Myers Thompson was a United States writer of novels, short stories and screenplays, largely in the hardboiled style of crime fiction.

Thompson wrote more than thirty novels, the majority of which were original paperback publications by pulp fiction houses, from the lat
More about Jim Thompson...
The Killer Inside Me The Grifters Pop. 1280 The Getaway After Dark, My Sweet