Start by marking “King Blood: The Armchair Detective Library” as Want to Read:
King Blood: The Armchair Detective Library

King Blood: The Armchair Detective Library

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Blood is thicker than water and that's doubly true for the King family who have built a considerable fortune through decades of ruthless violence and bloodshed such as Oklahoma has never seen. Ike King taught his boys well: when you see something you want all you need is a clever mind, two fists and a powerful hunk of metal. But Ike may have taught them too well. Now the K ...more
Published December 2nd 1993 by Otto Penzler Books (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about King Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Blood

Andy
A Jim Thompson novel is the literary equivalent to a Robert Williams painting: outrageous, surrealistic, obscene, but above all hysterically funny. King Blood is all of those and even more. An absolutely irrepressible stream of barnyard obscenity, it didn’t reach publication until twenty years after its writing and was first published in Great Britain, like the equally outrageous Naked Lunch.

King Blood is a filthy, twisted western about two brothers trying to screw each other over a stolen fortu
Daniel
Está tapado, pocos lo nombran en primer lugar y es el primero de la clase. Los personajes y las diferentes subtramas están llenos de rabia. Una versión libre y cruda de Rey Lear. La parte final no es para todos los estómagos.
Robert
I assumed when I picked this up that it must have been very early, beginner-level Thompson. After finishing it I had to look it up and discovered that it was instead very late in his career when he wrote this. It's so over the top it veers into "Spinal Tap" levels of satire - but I'm not at all sure if that's what he was going for. I couldn't recommend it to anyone, but the writing itself was quite evocative and I did finish it pretty effortlessly, so that something to be said for it.
Jason Maggard
This book is totally over the top, and these over the top transgressions are treated like everyday life. Missing are the character study that usually defines Jim Thompson, and all we are left with is a series of rapes, murders, and more that left we wondering why I was still reading it.

If you're a hardcore Thompson fan, this might appeal to you, otherwise I would recommend you find something else to whet your appetite for this fine author.
Ape
I've not read this book all the way through - but I am giving up on it. I really can't get into it, I don't like it and I'm not interested in any of the characters or what might happen in the end! I have stacks of books around me waiting to be read, all of which could be potential little gems, so why am I wasting my time with this? Well, because a work colleague lent me it, saying it's brilliant. And I've really tried but... it's not for me.
Tammy
Now I can add confidence men to the growing list of oddities that fascinate me. I enjoyed Thompson's collection of novellas and enjoyed this novel just as much.
Philip Fracassi
There are better Thompson books to read. This one is pretty forgettable. Try The Killer Inside Me.
Lukas Persson
I read it a while ago, I remember it being a tad by the numbers.
Spencer Shiffman
Spencer Shiffman marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Dan's Obsessions
Dan's Obsessions marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Barry Morrison
Barry Morrison marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Tumelo
Tumelo marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Chris Noble
Chris Noble marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
David Gobbitt
David Gobbitt marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
  • Crime Wave: Reportage and Fiction from the Underside of L.A.
  • The Union Club Mysteries
  • Deep as the Marrow
  • Dark Passage
  • The Handle (Parker, #8)
  • Unknown Man #89 (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • I Should Have Stayed Home
  • Fountain Society
  • Binary (Hard Case Crime MC8)
  • Astronauts Wife
  • Love's Lovely Counterfeit
  • The Black Curtain

James Myers Thompson was a United States writer of novels, short stories and screenplays, largely in the hardboiled style of crime fiction.

Thompson wrote more than thirty novels, the majority of which were original paperback publications by pulp fiction houses, from the lat
More about Jim Thompson...
The Killer Inside Me The Grifters Pop. 1280 The Getaway After Dark, My Sweet