Start by marking “Voll im Bilde (Discworld, #10)” as Want to Read:
Voll im Bilde (Discworld, #10)

Voll im Bilde (Discworld #10)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  36,918 ratings  ·  722 reviews
Ein winziges Nest auf der Scheibenwelt wird zum Dreh- und Angelpunkt einer neuen Mode: Alle sind verrückt nach »Klickern«, Geschichten in bewegten Bildern. Und so zieht »Holy Wood«, geheimnisvoller Ursprungsort dieser Bilder, Trolle, Zwerge, Zimmermänner, Zügelhalter und Wunderhunde in seinen Bann. Doch dann wechseln nicht mehr nur bunte Geschichten, sondern auch die Gesch ...more
Published 1993 by Goldmann Verlag (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Voll im Bilde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voll im Bilde

Tfitoby
This is Holy Wood. To pass the time quickly, you just film the clock hands moving fast... but when it's being written by Terry Pratchett why would you want to?

Moving Pictures, Pratchett's Discworld parody of Hollywood, appeals to me a great deal purely as a cinephile and wannabe film maker but as it's Pratchett it's also brilliant and brilliantly funny filled with wicked caricatures and wonderful characters, and of course evil puns aplenty.

In this must-read episode you get to know more about the
Melki
Who'd want to spend their time moving pictures? Most of them looked alright where they were.

A shady sausage vendor and a student of wizardry head to Holy Wood for fame and fortune in the early days of the Discworld film industry. Hey, kids! Let's put on a show! Sounds like wholesome family entertainment, does it not?

Well...since this sprang from the mind of Terry Pratchett, expect chaos and devastation, licentious landladies, mass hysteria, dogs and cats sharing conversations...

S-o-o-o-o...in a
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm stingy with my 5 star ratings and considered going with a 4 here, but I really enjoyed this read. It is hilarious. From Trolls who don't want to get "type cast" (I played a troll who runs out and hits him with a rock) to a talking wonder dog who can't get noticed because he's too "scruffy" the cliches of the movies get very skewered. Everyone is headed to (the?)"Holy Wood" to be a star. And of course as we all know, moving pictures or, "the clicks" can effect the fabric of reality.

Sir Terry
Callista
J.G. Keely
I have a lot of friends who swear by Pratchett, but I found him rather dull. I tried reading the first book in the series, but I couldn't finish it. A friend suggested this as one of his better outings, so I bit.

He seems to harp on the most obvious jokes, extending one-note gags into paragraphs, chapters, or even whole books. I found that out of every ten jokes, one would make me laugh and nine would make me groan and roll my eyes. Really not a good rate of return.

His world-building is passable,
Nathan
Part 10 of the Complete Discworld Reread

Wow, what a slog. When I started this reread I was wondering how a couple of those I had ignored would read a second time around, with “Moving Pictures” being my biggest fear. On this occasion my memory was correct, this may be the weakest Pratchett book until the football one released a few years back.

Now don’t get me wrong, even a bad Pratchett book is worth reading, and this wasn’t a complete waste of time. As per the usual, some of the humor hits hard
Matt
I reluctantly rate this first Discworld novel I read 3 stars. I figure there are others in this long series that are better, and probably some are worse. I just have no base for comparison, and I may raise the rating later.

I also can't judge the characters and plot with regards to the other books. Is Cut-me-own-Throat Dibbler a major character in the series? Will I read about Victor and Ginger again? Are the wizards of the Unseen University always the same? (I suppose they are, but I cannot tell
Ashley
This book was very disappointing. Usually I have no trouble retaining interest in a Terry Pratchett/Discworld novel, but this one I had to force myself to finish.

I think my problem with it is that it's too literal. What I love about Pratchett's writing most of the time is how he manages to mock things scathingly while at the same time making wonderful (and more general) loving comments about humanity. By following such a narrow path as he did in this book (with the straight on Hollywood/Holy Wo
Chris
Given a choice between books and movies, many people - myself included - will say that books are always better than movies. "You can use your imagination," we'll say, "drawing on the powers of the human mind to create things that manifestly are not real. You can decide for yourself what the scenes look like and how the characters appear, rather than have some director feed his or her vision over yours."

Despite that, however, we all still love the movies. If you gave me a novelization of Casablan
Roviragrao
(Relectura Mundodisco #10)

¿Cómo sería el cine en el Mundodisco? Nos encontramos ante la primera de las novelas independientes del Mundodisco, aunque los magos tienen bastante presencia. Pratchett consigue integrar la historia del cine y los mitos hollywoodienses en su mundo, que amenaza con quebrarse ante tanta magia y grandiosidad.

No es una de las mejores novelas del Mundodisco... pero es divertidísima. Ankh-Morpork vuelve a ser protagonista, Y-Voy-A-La-Ruina Escurridizo gana presencia y conoc
Mary Catelli
The tenth Discworld. Kinda stand-alone. The Unseen University and the Patrician feature in ways to that connect to earlier stories, but the main characters and their tale stand-alone. Those who read the series will see him forcibly adjusting the world-building because he didn't really like the set-up he had given it at first.

But an old man dies and realizes too late that he had not trained a successor to continue lighting the ritual fire. And things start to happen as not quite real things seep
Kua
Dopo aver letto l'ennesimo libro di Pratchett (ok ok sono solo tre finora, ma aumenteranno!), mi è sorta spontanea una domanda: come diavolo è possibile che nessuno abbia ancora trasformato i suoi libri in film??? Sono praticamente perfetti per essere trasposti sul grande schermo, gli ingredienti ci sono tutti: humor, spessore, trame imprevedibili, colpi di scena... E allora come mai sono uscite solo poche produzioni per la televisione? Questa è una cosa che proprio non mi spiego. Ma passiamo al ...more
Moving Pictures is the first in the so-called "Industrial Revolution" line of discworld novels. It was published in 1990, the same year as Eric, and is a wonderful satire on Hollywood and the film industry.
Main characters in this story are Victor Tugelbend, who devised a very intelligent system to fail exams at Unseen University "good enough" not to be thrown out, and Theda 'Ginger' Withel, who just wants to be herself, as big as possible. They are both drawn away from their day-to-day lives by
Wiebke (1book1review)
This is another perfect example of how Pratchett uses the discworld to question our own world and the things we do.

Moving pictures is all about the introduction of movies to the discworld and how it entrances everyone and changes peoples perception of their selves and the influence the new technoogy and media has on society.
Of course it wouldn't be a discworld novel if Holy Wood (the area the moving pictures are home to) didn't have its own agenda and ideas for the world.

I highly recommend this
Jamie
Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett is the first of his Diskworld novels to make me go "Meh..." The idea is that an evil spirit breaks lose and starts putting ideas in people's heads that give birth to the creation of motion pictures, or "clicks" on the Disk. It's got enough good lines, jokes, and parodies to make it entertaining, but the whole Hollywood lampoon seems so out of place on the Diskworld that I found it really distracting and jarring. Indeed, Pratchett seems to anticipate this reacti ...more
Kate
Synopsis from Google Books:

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitious ingénue from a little town (where else?) you've probably never heard of.

But the click click of
Marilag
You'd think, after the beginning humor, you'd expect most of the jokes would die out. It can't get any funnier than the previous funny, can it? What a load of cabbages. Things could get funnier, and the ratio of laughter volume over gradual page turns increased by leaps and bounds. I don't know how on earth I managed to survive over 20 years without having read any of the Discworld books until recently (The Truth was my first).

Pratchett shows his mastery not only with writing fiction, but he ext
Carol
Hollywood dreams... and it dreams big!
I gotta say, it was fantastic seeing how Pratchett gave life to Hollywood itself, setting up a town in the middle of nowhere, were it's always sunny and you are just... not yourself.
Amazing! I read this a while ago in Spanish and decided to reread it for an Scifi essay I had to write during my Master's.
I didn't remember it to be this funny.
Natalie
Hollywood comes to the Discworld.

We have the introduction of Ponder Stibbons, Gaspode, and Archchancellor Ridcully. And the Bursar isn't mad yet. The Librarian, Dibbler, and Detritus play supporting roles, and we also see the other wizards (including Windle Poons), Death, the Patrician, and Nobby Nobbs and Sgt Colon.
Ksenia Anske
If you've never wept from laughter, read this book. You can thank me later.
Matt
Moving Pictures, Terry Pratchett's 10th venture onto Discworld, puts Hollywood and celebrity culture in it's sights as the Disc goes crazy for motion pictures. Pratchett blends a combination of his satirical Discworld humor with movie clichés, even reverse clichés, to create a fun book but not up to some of his previous efforts.

The death of the last priest of Holy Wood results in "dreams" spreading through the thin reality of the Disc touching off the discovery and inventions of motion pictures,
Chaitra
This is fun, but not as much fun as the DEATH books or the Watch books. I guess I'd even take more of the Patrician to some weird guy with a weedy mustache. Although, I did enjoy everything Gaspode the Wonder Dog did, and his faithful lackey "Good boy" Laddie. It was a clever riff on Hollywood dreams, but not really as well developed as some of Pratchett's other ideas. The hero is a problem too. Victor's not half as funny as Rincewind and I'm a Rincewind hater. The book has its moments - other t ...more
Simcha Wood
With Moving Pictures, Terry Pratchett makes the first foray into what will be imaginatively lucrative territory for the Discworld series - the juxtaposition of contemporary Western institutions with the Discworld universe. In the case of Moving Pictures, it is Hollywood and the American film industry that get the Discworld treatment.

Pratchett does an excellent job telling his story against the backdrop of a budding industry (called the "clicks") that is based on alchemy but which resembles in ma
David Sarkies
Discworld goes to Hollywood
21 May 2013

I must admit that this was not one of my favourite of Pratchett's books but I suspect that if I end up reading it again, the score might go up and the review may change, however we are getting to a point where maybe the best of Pratchett's Discword content is behind him and he is exploring other avenues to try and get a laugh. Okay, Pratchett does more than try to get a laugh, and in a way it is sort of like the Simpsons where Pratchett uses a fantasy world
Bjoern
Wonderful!
A brilliant story of "a worlde gonne madde!" full of fine jibes against the "dream machine" of Hollywood and every other film maker ever walking our roundworld. it might not be so sophisticated as Pratchetts more recent works, but it's fresh, it's amusing and it shows so many "new" characters already grown old and routined in the newer books so it was a very enjoyable read full of wonders, laughs & wizards!
Somehow i especially liked the "first days on the job" of Mustrum Ridcully
Richard Stueber
This is the story of the beginning and end of the 'moving picture' industry on the Discworld. An ancient magic in a place called Holy Wood affects many people (and some animals) in strange ways.
Since I have seen thousands of movies and also spent a lot of time researching the motion picture industry from is beginnings in the 1890s the subject is of great interest to me.
A prime mover in this book is Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, who, instead of flogging his usual disgusting sausages, is promoting th
Mark
Sometimes I think Terry Pratchett should be nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature (or maybe Chemistry or Physics). Seriously! I'll write up my nomination and share it with you some day. As novels, the Discworld books don't hold up to rigorous critical scrutiny, but as performances of satirical fantasy they are peerless. Their plots are ridiculous and often lose all credibility by the climax. But the story and its credibility are not the point: how far the fantasy can take its reductio ad a ...more
Dicehiggins
Oct 01, 2007 Dicehiggins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want a little showbiz magic in their lives
This was a fun book that borrowed a lot from the Hollywood heyday.....It follows Victor, Ginger, Dibbler and a talking dog, as they break into showbiz (Through a hole in a fence), turn light into gold, see the advent of talking pictures, and try to become flaming balls of gas and energy...uh I mean...stars. One of my favorite discworld books, and one I quote often.

"In a word -- im-possible!" "That's two words," said Dibbler.

"I'm vice-president of Throwing Out People Mr Dibbler Doesn't like the
Pat
There are a couple different kinds of Discworld books in the Pratchett library: the Vimes books, the Early Period books, the set about Rincewind and/or Wizards/Witches, and the set of odd one-offs. This would be a book about Wizards (although thankfully no Rincewind, who I kinda loathe) but mostly it's about the motion picture industry and Hollywood in general. The only central character who really carries over is Gaspode, the small stinky talking dog. The rest of the book (although the Libraria ...more
J.
This one definitely grew on me in the last third or so. I do feel like it took quite a while to get started, and was (at least in the first half) a little more predictable (in plot as well as single jokes made) than I'm used to from Pratchett. I think what bothered me boils down to the fact that the idea (and execution of the first half) felt more like a gag, and as such the length felt like it dragged on more than I've ever felt a Pratchett book doing.

I definitely loved Vetinari and DEATH (as u
  • East of Ealing
  • Knights Of Madness
  • Ye Gods!
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6)

“The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.” 977 likes
“The universe contains any amount of horrible ways to be woken up, such as the noise of the mob breaking down the front door, the scream of fire engines, or the realization that today is the Monday which on Friday night was a comfortably long way off.

A dog's wet nose is not strictly speaking the worst of the bunch, but it has it's own peculiar dreadfulness which connoisseurs of the ghastly and dog owners everywhere have come to know and dread. It's like having a small piece of defrosting liver pressed lovingly against you.”
344 likes