Start by marking “The Stuff of Nightmares” as Want to Read:
The Stuff of Nightmares

The Stuff of Nightmares

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,091 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Kyle has always been afraid of things, especially dying. Whilst on a train on a school trip, Kyle realises that he isn’t the only one who has buried fears and, more importantly, he now burns with the desire to live, and to live without fear. But will Death release him?
Hardcover
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Stuff of Nightmares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stuff of Nightmares

Saoirse T. E. Sterling
Couldn't finish this book. I'd heard of Malorie Blackman and knew second-hand that she was a very good author, but I just didn't like her style.
The plot, now that I think of it, was quite interesting, but I thought it could have been done better, or in different circumstances. Most of all I just didn't like the way it was narrated. Too much first person, far too much. Most of it wasn't even necessary, though I suppose since all the nightmares were personal then it made sense, but not if Kyle was
Siobhan
Oct 12, 2014 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Malorie Blackman is one of those highly loved authors by the younger readers and from what I can gather this is one of those books that people either adore or they sit on the side about. I think the latter is mostly due to people comparing it to her highly acclaimed ‘Noughts & Crosses’ series.

Having had only this experience with Malorie Blackman I can say I really enjoyed the book. Her writing style is really engaging, managing to pull the reader into the story easily as well as managing to
Anna
Jul 15, 2013 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I read this as part of the carnegie longlist 2010? and on balance, having read Noughts & Crosses & was disappointed as I felt that Malorie Blackman wasn't presenting anything new. The title also oversold the horror element. However, having said that I am about to recommend it to a colleague to read aloud to disaffected teenagers on lunchtime detentions, so it can't have been so bad if I think it will hold their attention.
I think for me personally, I was hoping for something new and start
Luna
Jan 19, 2012 Luna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such an amazing book!

I am never gonna forget this. I loved each and every word of it.

Malorie Blackman's writing style was so wonderful, the first person-thing throughout the story made me feel what the character was feeling, what the people were feeling, the fear, the emotion, everything. There was so much raw emotion in this book. Amazing! No one writes like Malorie Blackman does. And the plot was just awesome! Loved every bit!
Isabella  JUHU
Jan 16, 2012 Isabella JUHU rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't find it - someone bought it from the bookstore when I HAD NEARLY FIN - I mean how unfair - DON'T THEY KNOW WHO I AM.....ah got it today from the library....read it...Mortal Instruments book one now :D
Annette Jordan
A creepily good book, this is the story of Kyle, in the aftermath of the separation of his parents and the death of his father. When he is involved in a train crash while on a school trip, it seems the only way to evade death is to go inside the minds of the other passengers, where he gets to experience their nightmares. These nightmares are diverse and some are more disturbing than others, but they are all frightening in their own way.
Its an interesting idea for a book, and the author takes th
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
The Stuff of Nightmares is one of the most chilling and gripping books I think I’ve ever read. It honestly is. There was so much mystery and intrigue that I could never predict what would happen next just that there would be a twist which would blow me out the water.

Every single time, for every single nightmare Malorie Blackman would surprise me no matter how many times I tried to guess at what would happen or the truth of what was going on. It was very much thirteen individual horror stories, n
ViolentPenguin
Jan 25, 2015 ViolentPenguin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: malorie-blackman
I thought the plot was very interesting. A young boy able to jump through nightmares? Pretty original all right. The characters were well developed and the dreams would scare the living daylights out of me!

I did however take a star off for a reason though.

Sometimes I would get really confused with parts and I would have to reread them. For example, when Kyle first jumped into a dream, I was very confused myself and had no idea what was going on...

But at the end of the day it's four stars well ea
Summer (Summer winterr)
Becky
Aug 13, 2012 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore Malorie Blackman, her Noughts & Crosses series is just incredible and I have read a number of her other books, but I had never got round to this one. In fact it's been in my cupboard for about a year and I've never pulled it out. Now I have a week off work I'm doing a mass book read. (I've so far read 6 books in just over 2 days!!!)
Anyway this always looked a bit spooky and I shied away, but I decided to get stuck in.
Kyle is on a school trip when the train crashes, most of his classm
Megha
Sep 05, 2012 Megha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-review
This review has been taken straight from my blog, The Bookmark Girl - http://thebookmarkgirl.blogspot.com/

Summary (jacket flap)

The Stuff Of Nightmares

It begins with a ride on a train.

But where it ends is on a precipice of horror - dangling on the border between life and death. It's a moment with Kyle discovers that he's not the only one in his class who knows about fear. Not the only one who has nightmares. And now, as Death stalks the carriages, it's a moment when nightmares become real. Nightmares of wars, and a
Vikki
Jan 14, 2012 Vikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Char
Rating clarification: 4.5 stars

Favourite book of the month. Great premise, full review in a few days

FULL REVIEW:

For my pre read thoughts and reasons for reviewing please visit From the Shadows I Review

This is my favourite Malorie Blackman book of the month without a shadow of a doubt. While I didn’t find it scary I did find myself getting drawn into the story and losing hours of my life by just becoming enthralled by the stories. Each nightmare has an individual voice to it but still feels l
Andy  Stamp
Apr 13, 2013 Andy Stamp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stuff of nightmares is a gripping imaginative tale from Noughts and Crosses author Malorie Blackman.

Kyle has a history, a deep history involving dark secrets and repressive memories about his parents. He runs to escape his reality. But when he is involved in a train crash with school he tries to escape reality by escaping into his classmates dreams.

This is a hugely engrossing novel, full of dramatic sub stories whilst never losing sight of the main drama of Kyle’s life.

Told from the first pe
Jul 27, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ya-fiction
I love Malorie Blackman's style of writing and I have always found her books very engaging. This was a whole new level of engaging. The mysterious character of Kyle is running away from his worst fears and the recent events that have happens to him. When he and his friends from school are caught up in a train crash he is forced to face those fears and also to realise that he is not alone in his guilt, sadness and terror when he gets to live his friend's worst fears and memories as well. Whilst h ...more
Elekis
May 08, 2013 Elekis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book I'm finding hard to review. It was good, enjoyable style, great way of introducing the characteristics of characters through their dreams and nightmares, I found that particularly interesting but there was just missing something. Maybe a CLIMAX!!! I feel the whole book was just about...nothing really. And it wasn't boring nothing, it was just, nothing.
Main characters for me are important because its their point of view we are constantly looking through, and through their point of view
Maz
Feb 05, 2016 Maz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lizixer
May 14, 2011 Lizixer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everybody hurts...

Malorie Blackman writes for older teenagers but this is not a book only for teenagers.

A portmanteau plot involving a young man who has to face both his fears and his grief enables Blackman to present 12 short stories based around the teenagers friends. Some stories are fine examples of ghost stories, some are horror stories, some sci-fi and even ghost sci-fi. They tackle difficult subjects like domestic abuse, grief and suicide and are not afraid to shy away from the uncomfort
Sue Murdoch
Sep 27, 2014 Sue Murdoch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About facing fear: we've all had bizarre nightmares that seem so close to what could be - the future? Some say, don't tell and they won't come true, but some fragments, the ones that worry us most sit deep within. I enjoyed all the themes, some futuristic, others environmental messages or about opression. I felt that some stories could be developed into novels in their own right. Kept me gripped in a full noisy room.
Catherine Goodall
I liked this book when I started reading it, but by the I was not as enthusiastic. However I feel that it was not entirely the book's fault and more that it took me ages to read it because I didn't have time to read as much. Overall I thought it would have been better if the setting had changed rather than staying the same throughout the book.
Paul
Review written: sometime before June 19, 2015

The Stuff of Nightmares by Malorie Blackman

Why I read it: I was in a Malorie Blackman mood.

Rating: 3/5

What I thought: A deeply strange book that by direct virtue of its structure never quite manages to hang together. Sometimes disbelief was pretty easy to suspend, sometimes it simply wasn’t possible. It has some nice twists that I really should have guessed and the ending is sufficiently heartwarming and brutal (if a tad shoved in and repetitive), but
Katharine
Really interesting concept for a novel and it made for a quick read. I think the form allowed Blackman to explore the variety of writing styles out there from fantasy and abstract to harsh feminist critiques. Interesting, captivating and I whizzed through it. My first Malorie Blackman book and it has made me want to read some of her other stuff just to see what her main style is.
Sarah-jayne Sanders
Parts of this book had me gripped, but other parts made me lose interest. The idea of this book was good and some of the nightmares really did creep me out, especially, drip...drip...drip. Also, Steve's nightmare really shocked me, I'll remember that one for a long time. The thing that let this book down was the story surrounding the nightmares, the end of the book completely lost me it could have ended so much better. I was waiting for something shocking/creepy at the end to go along with the r ...more
Sehrish
Nov 16, 2014 Sehrish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best books I have ever read! All the nightmares are all like lots of different stories and they're all absolutely amazing. I strongly recommend it to 11-15 year olds.
Ombeline
May 20, 2015 Ombeline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Malorie Blackman a un don pour écrire des romans hyper poignant, qui nous plonge complètement dans son univers.

Un roman dur, mais qui fait réfléchir et se poser des questions. Il vaut vraiment le détour.
Laurianne
Original and weird at the same time. I really liked each nightmare sequence but with the whole story ... I don't know. I don't know if I really liked this book and it is frustrating !
Cynthia
Dec 18, 2008 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a train wreck, Kyle can enter his friends' nightmares. Some are quite normal nightmares (Soldier Steve, afraid his family won't want him after losing his legs and an arm at war or the old South African woman dreaming of her time as a "slave" for her white employers), some are fantastic (his teacher marrying the devil or one about Medusa) and other seems to be showing a possible future (acidic rain after a war).

The author manages to include 13 short stories in this novel (some of them have
Booksandlaughter
Very scary and haunting book . Warning some of the stories may come away with you even after you have closes the book .
Joanna
Oct 04, 2015 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-reads
I read this book when I was around 15 years of age. A riveting, scary and suspenseful book that I would recommend to teenagers.
Rayaaan
Aug 18, 2014 Rayaaan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING. Malorie just can't let me down. A very clever storyline and it honestly gripped me in. seriously, read it :D
  • Phaenomen (Phaenomen, #1)
  • Instinct
  • Leaving Poppy
  • The Opposite of Chocolate
  • Blood Sinister
  • Love Trainer
  • Blood Ransom (Blood Ties, #2)
  • Sky Song (Sky Song trilogy #1)
  • Lucy Talk
  • The Cracked Mirror (The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus, #2)
  • Talus
  • Survival Instinct: A Zombie Novel
  • Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)
  • Running on the Cracks
  • Sugarcoated
  • Looking for JJ (Jennifer Jones, #1)
  • Tessa in Love
  • The Swap
An award-winning children's author, Malorie Blackman was honoured with an OBE in 2008. Her work has been adapted for TV and stage.

More information available at:
Myspace
British Council: Contemporary Authors
British Council: Encompass Culture
Channel 4 Learning: Book Box
More about Malorie Blackman...

“Thoughts can creep up on you, or they can hit harder than a wrecking ball.” 0 likes