Start by marking “Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic: Commencement V. 1 (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic: Commencement V. 1 (Star Wars)

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic: Commencement V. 1 (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,195 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Thousands of years before Luke Skywalker would destroy the Death Star in that fateful battle above Yavin 4, one lone Padawan would become a fugitive hunted by his own Masters, charged with murdering every one of his fellow Jedi-in-training. Now, Padawan Zayne Carrick finds unexpected allies in his race to clear his name.
Published March 23rd 2007 by Titan Books Ltd (first published November 11th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Crystal Starr Light
Mar 30, 2015 Crystal Starr Light rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans AND comic fans
Recommended to Crystal Starr Light by: Iset
Bullet Review:

WHERE IS VOLUME 2?!

(No worries - Volume 2 is being shipped to my library!)

Full review:

Zayne Carrick is by no stretch of the imagination a great Jedi Padawan; but when he stumbles onto a startling scene, suddenly, he is wanted by the law and the Jedi Order. He ends up teaming up with a small-time scoundrel, Marn Hierogryph, and two junk yard dealers, Camper and Jarael, to flee.

I suppose I ought to toss my Star Wars nerd card out the window for my next statement. I think I'm probably
Iset

This is a much loved series for me. In fact it’s my most loved comic series in the Star Wars universe, set in my favourite Star Wars era. If I had to choose to save one era and sacrifice all the others, I’d choose the KOTOR era. Yes, even over the original trilogy, good as that was. KOTOR fans will be familiar with its nascent beginnings, but for those who aren’t, the KOTOR era, set c. 4000 – 3950 years before the original film, grew out of a truly excellent computer game of the same name from B
Adam
[This review represents the entire 50-issue KOTOR series]

KOTOR was the first SW comic I'd ever read. For some reason, I'd expected it to be some childish web-comic type thing with a plot that focused on inconsequential elements and plots tangential to the main story of KOTOR. While this bears a grain of truth, the comic is rather more like a complete prequel to the first game than anything else. The characters are well-developed and resonant, and the plots are suitably earth-shattering.

A few wo
Patrick Hester
Christian Petrie
My next comic in the Humble Bundle series. With this one we have jumped closer to the Star Wars universe only being 3,900 years before A New Hope. Here we start to the see more similar things in the Jedi/Sith world.

This was a better read then the previous collection, Dawn of the Jedi. Part of it due to the Jedi being more established so it felt more early history of Star Wars.

The story is about a Padawan who finds out something bad his master and other Jedi masters did. The story involves him fi
Albert Nguyen
Sep 28, 2014 Albert Nguyen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: KotOR Video Game Fans
This is NOT a review of the entire comic series, just the first volume/story arc. Skip to the end for the entire series review.

Commencement tells the story of Zayne Carrick, a Jedi betrayed by the order. As fate, or the Force, would have it, Zayne finds himself on the wrong end of the law when he is framed for the murder of his fellow padawans. In reality, the culprits were his Jedi masters who rounded up their apprentices and massacred them. Were it not for Zayne's poor punctuality in arriving,
Yves
La guerre qu'Exar Kun a fait contre ses anciens collègue Jedi trente ans plus tôt a laissé bien des marques chez certains Jedi. Après avoir eu une vision, cinq maîtres Jedi décident d'éliminer leurs Padawans pour les empêcher de devenir des Sith. Cependant, Zayne Carrick, le jeune apprenti maladroit de Lucien arrive à s'en sortir. Il s'ensuit donc une chasse à l'homme contre le jeune Padawan qui est injustement accusé d'avoir assassiné les autres apprentis.

Commencement est le premier volume des
David Sarkies
Jul 07, 2012 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Recommended to David by: A computer Game
Shelves: sci-fi
I am not a big fan of comic books and other than Tintin and Asterix I was never really able to get into them. I have bought a couple of graphic novels, and suspect that I will get some more (such as a couple of the Spiderman ones) but as mentioned I was never really a fan of comic books and would rarely buy any. I did buy some of the Dungeons and Dragons ones that came out a long time ago, but that had more to do with me wanting anything to do with Dungeons and Dragons than any particular love ...more
David Stoneking
So far I love this series. It takes all the best parts of the original videogame, then throws it in a new settings with great characters. The story follows the path of a padawan Zayne Garrick, kind of a goofball character who's at the bottom of his class in everything he does.

The reveals are great, the characters are fun and interesting. I'm going to be continuing this series from here. Heck, this comic book has rekindled my love for star wars. Highly recommended.

(BIG) Spoilers below:

Since I do
Jared
Star Wars Project #11

Background: Knights of the Old Republic: Commencement was released in seven issues from January to June 2006. The trade paperback was released in November of that year. It was written by John Jackson Miller and pencilled and inked by Brian Ching and Travel Foreman. Miller is mostly a comics writer, having been heavily involved in the industry for some 20+ years. He began his professional comic writing career with a "Crimson Dynamo" series for Marvel, before going on to write
Nicholas
What a compelling story! Knights of the Old Republic is probably one of the more original works in the EU. The story follows Zayne Carrick, a bumbling, clumsy Jedi trainee on Taris and the larger conflict he gets wrapped up in, eventually leading up to the plot of the second Sith War outlined in the KotOR video games and The Old Republic MMO game. There are a lot of twists and turns in this series and I really can't even cover it's premise without giving away huge spoilers. A couple of things th ...more
Jin
"Wow! A great Star Wars story! Years ago, I played and finished both Knights of Old Republic 1 and 2 PC games. This games made my interest in the Star Wars Universe grew more. This series were somewhat linked to that great PC games, and I find the plot by John Jackson Miller awesome and exciting! I'll be reading more of this!"
Chris Birdsong
Jeff Lanter
Being a big fan of the Knights of the Old Republic video games, I was interested to see how the universe would be portrayed in graphic form. I have to say this is an enjoyable first trade that has enough big ideas to make you want to read more. While I would never spoil it, there is an excellent plot twist that changes the whole makeup of the book. Lastly, while the art is very good, I feel the dialogue is better here than most of the other Star Wars graphic novels I've read. It is just a little ...more
Melissa
Loved it. Great characters, smart writing, excellent pacing. I'm only sorry I didn't discover this sooner. The art in most of it is quite good, too.
Josephine
Has an exciting plot with great illustrations! Can't wait to read Volume 2!
Melissa Cuevas
Middle of the road effort. Passable art style, and fairly cohesive, coherent story line.
Ben
Update: After reaching book four of this volume, I am giving up. It is so annoying and poor and with such consistantly rotten artwork which steadily gets worse that I can no longer bare to continue.

If you are looking for a decent Star Wars graphic novel, go look somewhere else. I recommend The Defense of Kamino and Other Tales and its sequels instead. Do not bother with this.
Austin Palmer
Completely fantastic. Start to end
Jared
Jul 29, 2008 Jared rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
I am not really a graphic novel fan and approached this story with a great deal of skepticism as I see most Star Wars books as a sceme to juice a movie for as much money as possible. But I did find myself engrossed in the story line, and found that it brought back the feeling I had as a kid when I wanted to chop up people with my pretend lightsaber. I also enjoyed that the story was as long as a regular novel, but becuase it is in pictures and dialogue, I could read it in a single sitting.
Manuel
I'd read this graphic novel before. I just decided to reread it, in part because I'm going to be reading through the entire series. KOTOR is a rich and excellent time period in the fictional 'Star Wars' universe, and, having played the original 2003 critically-acclained video game, this graphic novel series is like the icing on a cake.

This first book (which is Volume 1) wastes no time delving into the story, with a twist in the middle of the book that will leave you begging for answers.
Alex Jones
I picked this up as I love the KotOR games, the characters it introduces and the setting of the early Star Wars universe and am really glad that I did. It tells a story which, so far, is unconnected to the games, but one I really want to continue reading and introduces some very likeable and memorable characters. The art is bright, colourful and fun and always clear with what is going on. Lots of solid Star Wars-esque moments, but with its own unique story and spin. Recommended!
sixthreezy
This was actually really cool despite my initial thoughts. Now the series is set-up and I'm definitely looking forward to see what Zayne's journey encompasses! Will he bring the Jedi who set him up, down? One by one he says he will kill them, and the one who confesses the truth about him being innocent will live. There are no better stories in any universe than revenge stories!!!
Roberta
A very solid beginning to a fascinating story set during the Mandalorian War. A bumbling Padawan Zayne is framed for the murder of his fellow classmates by his master and his covenant of Jedi Consulars (seers). It's nice to see the Jedi being shown as imperfect. I look forward to reading the rest of this series. Well done! Oh, and the graphics are excellent.
Rebekah H.
A charming diversion. This collection of seven comics takes place a few thousand years before the new movies. As a graphic novel, the art was okay. I'be seen a lot better. The story, which follows a young Jedi-in-training is entertaining. Not bad, but not good enough for me to really spend time reviewing.
Moe
I always liked books about star wars. I first started out when my uncle jefferey had let me play with his star wars action figure. That was the beggining of my fantasy. This book was a great in between-episodes kind of book.I didn't think the graphics where that great, but I really liked the plot.
Olivia
Crazy premise for the series. It was a bit frustrating when reading, because of the way the storytelling went, but when you finally unravel all the threads and figure out what's going on, it throws you. It's a little draggy at points, but worth the read.
  • Star Wars: Legacy, Volume 1: Broken
  • Vector, Vol. 2 (Star Wars: Rebellion #4, Star Wars: Legacy #6)
  • Path to Nowhere (Star Wars: Dark Times, #1)
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 3: Last Stand on Jabim
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 1
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 2: Darklighter
  • Crimson Empire, Volume 1 (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #1)
  • Star Wars: Infinities - A New Hope
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi, Volume 1
20028
John Jackson Miller has spent a lifetime immersed in the worlds of fantasy and science fiction. He's known for his Star Wars work, including Star Wars: Knight Errant, his national bestselling novel from Del Rey; Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, his e-book series with more than a million downloads; and his long-running Knights of the Old Republic comics series. His Overdraft: The Orion Offensive ...more
More about John Jackson Miller...

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (10 books)
  • Flashpoint (Star Wars:  Knights of the Old Republic, #2)
  • Days of Fear, Nights of Anger (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #3)
  • Daze of Hate, Knights of Suffering (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #4)
  • Vector, Vol. 1 (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #5, Star Wars: Dark Times #3)
  • Vindication (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #6)
  • Dueling Ambitions (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #7)
  • Destroyer (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #8)
  • Demon (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #9)
  • War (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #10)
Precipice (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #1) Kenobi (Star Wars) A New Dawn (Star Wars) Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #2) Sentinel (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #6)