Start by marking “A Smattering of Ignorance” as Want to Read:
A Smattering of Ignorance

A Smattering of Ignorance

Published 1940 by Doubleday, Doran & Co., Inc. New York (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about A Smattering of Ignorance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Smattering of Ignorance

Rob MacCavett
Apr 03, 2012 Rob MacCavett rated it it was amazing
A brilliant classical pianist and sought after conversationalist, his quirky sense of humor was the delight of New York and Hollywood’s elite. The view he poses is that of someone normal (himself) telling of the humorous doings by the rich and famous who surround him…but the reader senses much of the comedy comes from his view of the world. This is a collection of adventures and experiences written during his prime.
Mary Tuley
Aug 21, 2007 Mary Tuley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of music and wit.
Oscar Levant needed to meet Oscar Wilde. They would've been great sparring partners.
Sandi
I became intrigued with Oscar Levant after seeing a clip of him from a television talk show that was included in the documentary about Fran Lebowitz so I decided to seek out this book which was published in 1939. Most of the book was about classical music conductors and musical composers, which I know nothing about, but the writing style and witticism kept me interested. I did throughly enjoy the two sections on his friendships with Harpo Marx and George Gershwin.
Marie Fouhey
Jun 19, 2015 Marie Fouhey rated it liked it
This is a book containing 5 essays on various topics, including the relationship between conductors and musicians, movie music, Harpo Marx, George Gershwin and modern composers. The sections of Harpo Marx and Gershwin were funny, but the section I most enjoyed was the discussion of movie music which he divides into "Mickey Mouse music" where every character on the screen has a complementary bar of music and "Mood music" where one of several motifs is used to indicate the mood of a scene. The ...more
Joy H.
Feb 09, 2016 Joy H. marked it as to-read
Added 1/27/16.
2/9/16 - Today I received a used copy of this book which I purchased online for only $6.97 including shipping. I bought it because our public library didn't have it. I'm looking forward to reading it. I became interested in it after reading A Talent for Genius: The Life and Times of Oscar Levant.

As a Goodreads member, Rob, says in his review about Oscar Levant: "A brilliant classical pianist and sought after conversationalist, his quirky sense of humor was the delight of New York
Feb 22, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
I have no musical training whatsoever, so large portions of this book were completely incomprehensible to me, but the chapters on Harpo Marx and George Gershwin were both wonderful. Levant was a fascinating man, and reading this book led directly to me reading Talent for Genius:, a: the Life and Times of Oscar Levant.
Harold
Aug 11, 2008 Harold rated it really liked it
I didn't know of the existence of this book until I learned of it in "The House That George Built." I had read Oscar's later books and enjoyed thema. I assumed that was all he had written. I would say this is also enjoyable but that it definitely helps if you are a musician. His sarcasm and intelligence are already in place at the writing of this book, sometime around 1940.
Greg
Jun 09, 2009 Greg rated it really liked it
Ah, period snark. Anecdotes about classical conductors and Max Steiner and Gershwin. I am a loser. I read this within a 16 hour span, and I slept through some of that.
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2012
Robert Kettering
Robert Kettering rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Crystal Johnson
Crystal Johnson rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
William Wilson
William Wilson rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Adrian
Adrian rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Laruchka
Laruchka rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
David Headland
David Headland rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2011
Barbara Froman
Barbara Froman rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Confetta
Confetta rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
Marian Mccann
Marian Mccann rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2011
Bob Malone
Bob Malone rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
amy
amy rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2011
Angela Hammond
Angela Hammond rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Victor
Victor rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2009
Jane Hanley
Jane Hanley rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012
P. Moss
P. Moss rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Alwyn Wood
Alwyn Wood rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Kyle Lai
Kyle Lai rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Marcia
Marcia rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2010
Oscar Levant (December 27, 1906 – August 14, 1972) was an American pianist, composer, author, comedian, and actor. He was more famous for his mordant character and witticisms, on the radio and in movies and television, than for his music.

More about Oscar Levant...