Start by marking “Favorite Norse Myths” as Want to Read:

Favorite Norse Myths

From the creation of the universe, to its heroic battles for order, the fourteen intriguing myths in this collection come together to tell one powerful story. Young readers will be fascinated by characters like Odin, the greatest of gods, and the mighty Thor, who is able to take down vicious monsters much larger than himself. The powerful, beautifully written stories are g ...more
Published December 28th 2000 by Scholastic (first published February 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Favorite Norse Myths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Favorite Norse Myths

Bandit
Feb 25, 2012 Bandit rated it really liked it
"Thor" the movie has sparked my interest in Norse mythology and as it turns out the books on that are not very easy to find. I was reluctant to read a kids book, but this one is written so that anyone can enjoy it. The myths are told in a very plain accessible style and the art is great. Comes complete with an informative foreword and glossary. I'd definitely recommend this one to mythology fans of all ages.
Monica Jung
Mar 09, 2015 Monica Jung rated it it was amazing
MYTH - THE MAGIC STALLION

Motif - gods and power

Pope Osborne, Mary. Favorite Norse Myths. New York: Scholastic, 1996.

Target Audience: Grades 1st through 12th

The God Loki was fierce and confident but had a habit of leading other's into danger. He took chances in life, but fortunately was able to get out of bad situations with his charm and sly magic. One day a giant comes to the city of Asgad and offers to rebuild a wall that was destroyed in the war. In return he wants the sun, the moon, and the
Jeffrey
Adapting stories from The Poetic Edda, Mary Pope Osborne retells classic Norse myths for a young audience.

Osborne chooses her stories carefully, structuring them so they will build off of each other, and her illustrator Troy Howell, first creates a basic Viking-wood-carving style line work over which he draws more colorful and imaginative pictures. It's a clever tool and it brings the spirit of the original art work to life.

Osborne is targeting younger readers here, elementary and the like. For
Cathy
A nice, simple refresher in Norse mythology for me, it would be a very good introduction for kids. I would be interested to see how kids would react to these sometimes funny, usually dark, and always violent stories. It highlights how different a world the Vikings lived in compared to the relatively gentle weather and nature the Greeks and Romans faced, yet that both looked for answers to many of the same questions.

The art in this book is really fantastic. Original paintings by Troy Howell are b
Rebecca
Sep 07, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
We love Mary Pope Osborne's magic Tree House books, so I was hoping her myth retellings would be as fun and accessible for my third grader. Oddly, they're a little bloodless-- impressive considering the amount of shape-shifting, kidnapping, cross-dressing, and skull crushing that goes on. I'm finding myself reading the stories for me and then retelling them in more exciting ways to my kids. It seems she opted for fidelity to the stories rather than risking interesting reimaginings.

The illustrati
Kristi
Oct 23, 2011 Kristi rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Found this one in all my stuff at mom & dad's! Reaffirms that I was a mythology nut even as a kid. (Here I thought I might have been imagining it all.)

I must have gotten this one from a scholastic book fair... or perhaps one of the flyers they sent home selling books. Seems like I always had a list a mile long of the books I wanted!

This is a great book for children or really for whoever! It's an easy way to lean about the norse myths... about Odin and Thor and Loki and all the gods and godd
Savanna
Jan 31, 2013 Savanna rated it really liked it
Summary: This book is about Norse Myths. It contains translated, slightly revamped old tales about Norse gods and goddesses and how the world came to be. Originally these tales were believed to be true stories.

I liked this book because it was interesting to see how people of old viewed the world hundreds, if not thousands of years ago.

Myth and Legend Short Stories

WARNING: Some of these tales are gruesome or disturbing: body parts are lost, the sky is made of brain, and one of the male gods someh
Ken
Oct 05, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it
Shelves: myths
Very nice overview of the Norse myths. Just as we now know that the Egyptian gods were actual people once, I bet that Odin, Tyr, Thor, and the rest probably lived at one point. As Michael Crichton speculated in his Beowulf retelling "Eaters of the Dead", I suspect the frost giants may have been Neanderthals who co-existed with these ancient humans and lived in or near the glaciers which covered most of northern Europe at the time, and the mountain giants probably other Neanderthals who lived in ...more
Jay
Sep 07, 2011 Jay rated it liked it
The tales were told well: short, but sufficient detail. What I liked even better was the background information about how we know about these stories today. My son is really into Norse stories and this was a great refresher for me, since it was years ago that I last read about the Norse gods and giants.
LuAnn
Aug 14, 2015 LuAnn rated it really liked it
Shorter than D'Aulaires' retelling for kids, therefore not as detailed, though mostly includes the same myths and is well done. Nice touch to base the illustrations on actual Viking images and to have quotes from the original 10th century source, Poetic Edda, for each story. I prefer D'Aulaires' more colorful, both literally and figuratively, though is also very good.
Eva
Dec 09, 2016 Eva rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, religion
Short chapters with a separate story each. This book made it easy for us to follow who was who by gently reminding us in each chapter the background of the God characters (there are so many!). It was a great introduction to Norse Myths.
John
Jan 10, 2009 John rated it liked it
I think this book was intended for the teenage reader as in intro to Norse Mythology. If so, it was right down my alley. Stories are kept short and entertaining. It's easy to follow and has nice big pictures. Way to go Mary!
Ashleigh Cartmill
Jul 09, 2012 Ashleigh Cartmill rated it it was amazing
This book was so beautiful. The artwork was amazing, the stories were gorgeous. This is the first time I have read any Norse Mythology and this was an absolutely stunning introduction. I definitely want a copy of this to read to my children.
Mdelcano
May 08, 2008 Mdelcano rated it liked it
Helps with Runemarks.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
by Mary Pope Osborne, Troy Howell
a good break down of tales
Hyrum
Jan 14, 2015 Hyrum rated it liked it
An interesting look into Norse culture but if these stories of the Norse gods were supposed to have some deeper meaning or teach a lesson I am a little worried for the vikings.
Mrs. O' Leary
Jun 22, 2015 Mrs. O' Leary rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
Easy to understand Norse myths. I didn't like the art, but that's more of a personal preference than anything else.
Kristen Gurri
Apr 16, 2008 Kristen Gurri rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-to-kids
The author really loves the myths and really knows how to convey them to the kids. Fun to read to Colin. Can't wait for Kate to be ready.
Dan
Jul 13, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Those crazy Norse! Also the illustrations are great.
Jeff
Jul 29, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice retelling of Norse legends and myths. Would be great for introducing these stories to younger students.
Eric Olson
I love reading how the Scandinavian culture crafted their religion. There is a great similarity to the Greeks here....
Becca
Becca rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Whitney
Whitney rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Bill Johnson
Bill Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2017
A
A rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
Dy-an
Dy-an rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Chris Spiegel
Chris Spiegel rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland
  • Norse Magic
  • Beowulf: Dragonslayer
  • Greek Myths
  • A Medieval Feast
  • Ancient China (Eyewitness Books)
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths
  • Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei
  • You Wouldn't Want to Sail on the Mayflower!: A Trip That Took Entirely Too Long
  • Genghis Khan: 13th-Century Mongolian Tyrant
  • Ancient Egypt
  • World According to Twitter
  • In Search of a Homeland: The Story of The Aeneid
  • Sir Gawain and the Loathly Lady
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Aztec Sacrifice!: Gruesome Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • The Penguin Atlas of Ancient History
  • Norman Rockwell: Behind the Camera
  • Viking Tales
More about Mary Pope Osborne...