Start by marking “Favorite Norse Myths” as Want to Read:
Favorite Norse Myths

Favorite Norse Myths

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From the creation of the universe, to its heroic battles for order, the fourteen intriguing myths in this collection come together to tell one powerful story. Young readers will be fascinated by characters like Odin, the greatest of gods, and the mighty Thor, who is able to take down vicious monsters much larger than himself. The powerful, beautifully written stories are g ...more
Published December 1st 2000 by Scholastic (first published February 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Favorite Norse Myths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Favorite Norse Myths

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenPippi Goes on Board by Astrid LindgrenThe Children of Noisy Village by Astrid LindgrenRonia, the Robber's Daughter by Astrid LindgrenChristmas in Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren
Sweden
40th out of 77 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Monica Jung
MYTH - THE MAGIC STALLION

Motif - gods and power

Pope Osborne, Mary. Favorite Norse Myths. New York: Scholastic, 1996.

Target Audience: Grades 1st through 12th

The God Loki was fierce and confident but had a habit of leading other's into danger. He took chances in life, but fortunately was able to get out of bad situations with his charm and sly magic. One day a giant comes to the city of Asgad and offers to rebuild a wall that was destroyed in the war. In return he wants the sun, the moon, and the
Bandit
"Thor" the movie has sparked my interest in Norse mythology and as it turns out the books on that are not very easy to find. I was reluctant to read a kids book, but this one is written so that anyone can enjoy it. The myths are told in a very plain accessible style and the art is great. Comes complete with an informative foreword and glossary. I'd definitely recommend this one to mythology fans of all ages.
Jeffrey
Adapting stories from The Poetic Edda, Mary Pope Osborne retells classic Norse myths for a young audience.

Osborne chooses her stories carefully, structuring them so they will build off of each other, and her illustrator Troy Howell, first creates a basic Viking-wood-carving style line work over which he draws more colorful and imaginative pictures. It's a clever tool and it brings the spirit of the original art work to life.

Osborne is targeting younger readers here, elementary and the like. For
Cathy
A nice, simple refresher in Norse mythology for me, it would be a very good introduction for kids. I would be interested to see how kids would react to these sometimes funny, usually dark, and always violent stories. It highlights how different a world the Vikings lived in compared to the relatively gentle weather and nature the Greeks and Romans faced, yet that both looked for answers to many of the same questions.

The art in this book is really fantastic. Original paintings by Troy Howell are b
Hyrum
An interesting look into Norse culture but if these stories of the Norse gods were supposed to have some deeper meaning or teach a lesson I am a little worried for the vikings.
Kristi
Found this one in all my stuff at mom & dad's! Reaffirms that I was a mythology nut even as a kid. (Here I thought I might have been imagining it all.)

I must have gotten this one from a scholastic book fair... or perhaps one of the flyers they sent home selling books. Seems like I always had a list a mile long of the books I wanted!

This is a great book for children or really for whoever! It's an easy way to lean about the norse myths... about Odin and Thor and Loki and all the gods and godd
Eric Olson
I love reading how the Scandinavian culture crafted their religion. There is a great similarity to the Greeks here....
Savanna
Summary: This book is about Norse Myths. It contains translated, slightly revamped old tales about Norse gods and goddesses and how the world came to be. Originally these tales were believed to be true stories.

I liked this book because it was interesting to see how people of old viewed the world hundreds, if not thousands of years ago.

Myth and Legend Short Stories

WARNING: Some of these tales are gruesome or disturbing: body parts are lost, the sky is made of brain, and one of the male gods someh
Jay
The tales were told well: short, but sufficient detail. What I liked even better was the background information about how we know about these stories today. My son is really into Norse stories and this was a great refresher for me, since it was years ago that I last read about the Norse gods and giants.
Ashleigh Cartmill
This book was so beautiful. The artwork was amazing, the stories were gorgeous. This is the first time I have read any Norse Mythology and this was an absolutely stunning introduction. I definitely want a copy of this to read to my children.
John
I think this book was intended for the teenage reader as in intro to Norse Mythology. If so, it was right down my alley. Stories are kept short and entertaining. It's easy to follow and has nice big pictures. Way to go Mary!
Kristen Gurri
The author really loves the myths and really knows how to convey them to the kids. Fun to read to Colin. Can't wait for Kate to be ready.
Jeff
Nice retelling of Norse legends and myths. Would be great for introducing these stories to younger students.
Dan
Those crazy Norse! Also the illustrations are great.
Theresa
a good break down of tales
Mdelcano
Helps with Runemarks.
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Matilda
Matilda marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Leila
Leila added it
Apr 28, 2015
Amber Martingale
Amber Martingale marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Laura Lubak
Laura Lubak marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Zaw Ag
Zaw Ag marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
  • Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland
  • Norse Magic
  • A Medieval Feast
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths
  • Beowulf: Dragonslayer
  • The Irish Cinderlad
  • Viking Tales (Yesterday's Classics)
  • Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Aztec Sacrifice!: Gruesome Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • The Penguin Atlas of Ancient History
  • Sir Gawain and the Loathly Lady
  • Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens
  • Sherwood: Original Stories from the World of Robin Hood
  • A Street Through Time
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)