Start by marking “Exploring the Northern Tradition: A Guide to the Gods, Lore, Rites, and Celebrations from the Norse, German, and Anglo-Saxon Traditions” as Want to Read:

Exploring the Northern Tradition is an introduction to the modern reconstruction of the ancient religion of the Germanic and Scandinavian peoples. This religion, called Heathenry, is one of the fastest growing polytheistic religious movements in the United States today.
Published April 21st 2005 by New Page Books

To ask other readers questions about Exploring the Northern Tradition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exploring the Northern Tradition

Heather
Oct 16, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Michael, Zane, Ralph, Elizabeth
I got this book because 1. I am so sick of Wicca and 2. I thought it was time to investigate my Bavarian Swiss and Anglo-Saxon sides. (The Scots-Irish side can't take up all my reading time!)

It's a slim book, but I think it is good for beginners like me. She really describes the modern Heathen communities and their differences. I am very grateful that the Gods and Goddesses names are in Anglo-Saxon not just Norse. The way she descibes working with them in a lot of ways reminded me of Santeria.

H
Steve Cran
Lately I have been taken in by Asatru, the worship of the Norse Gods. Odin is the father god and Frigga is his wife. Perhaps the most famous of the Gods are Thor and his mighty hammer. The Gods of Norse are numerous and many. Neo Paganism is coming on strong and Heathenism or the worship of North European Gods is the strongest movement.

Heathenism is often a misunderstood term. Many people think of savages or uncouth people with no civilization. Of course the opposite is true. The original heathe
Ruby Hollyberry
May 16, 2010 Ruby Hollyberry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magick
Probably THE best introduction to the magic and Pagan religions of Northern Europe currently in existence. The Northern Tradition can seem to be a thorny range of overlapping or mutually exclusive terminology, confusing to anyone curious, and not at all a welcoming bunch to the newbie. Heathens (the most general term but not one that everyone uses or agrees with) tend to be lore-crazy, obsessed with archaeological facts and Christian Era ancient literature that needs to be read with several grai ...more
Monty Milne
Jan 20, 2015 Monty Milne rated it it was ok
I didn't much care for this, but that doesn't mean it's a bad book - it's just not really my thing. The basic problem is one shared by all new age religions: what we really know for certain about heathen cultic practices can probably be written on the back of an envelope, which means that when people like Ms Krasskova claim to be resurrecting an ancient tradition this is a very questionable claim.

I'm interested in the pre-Christian world view of my genetic ancestors, and I'd like to develop a p
Aitziber Madinabeitia
Un libro que cumple con lo que promete, una exploración somera y básica de las múltiples visiones respecto al paganismo nórdico o Heathenismo. Tal vez demasiado centrada en dar datos que sería preferible conseguir por medio del estudio de la mitología, al respecto de las divinidades y con el defecto, desde mi punto de vista, de incluir demasiadas indicaciones sobre meditaciones con los dioses e inciensos varios.

Es de agradecer ser introducción a algunos conceptos que se dan por sentados en los f
Nov 16, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
I can certainly understand why some Heathens would get into a fuss over this books - it does seem to distill Heatherny down to a very simplistic level. But looking at it as a pagan coming in from a post-Wiccan view, it is taking Northern Traditions and putting them into a framework that many neo-pagans would be comfortable with, without distilling the basic beliefs.

Krasskova covers, without claiming to be the complete authority, major deities, beleifs and sources for myths and literature. Furth
Allyson Shaw
Jun 29, 2015 Allyson Shaw rated it really liked it
If you are looking for an introduction to heathenry, I prefer Paxton's book on the topic. However, if you find yourself a solitary Heathen without a heathen community (online pedantic mansplaining space does not a community make) this book is helpful. Though many will not admit to conversion to heathenry, this book does. I enjoyed her DPG revelations. The downside is that parts may be too basic for many, too neopagan for others. Her thoughts on depression are just downright wrong, and dangerous. ...more
Äsruþr Cyneaþsson
Aug 15, 2016 Äsruþr Cyneaþsson rated it it was ok
Some aspects of these work resonated well with me, others were a jarring mismatch. The work comes across as a kind of neo-Theodish approach to Heathenry. There are some great rites and prayers here, for those who pray - whereas I refrain from such. As with all books, I would recommend giving it a read - see how you value it.
Paritosh
Apr 26, 2014 Paritosh rated it liked it
Good as a basic introduction to the Norse pantheon and customs. But it deals a lot more with modern Heathenry and their practices. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are interested in a adopting Heathenry as a way of life.
Penelope
Aug 24, 2011 Penelope rated it really liked it
Shelves: pagan-books
A very good comprehensive guide to the Northern European Paganism and often recommended by many a Norse Pagan/Asatruar. Perfect for those who are searching for information on the Norse/Germanic Pagan traditions.
Nicholas
May 18, 2014 Nicholas rated it really liked it
I did learn quite a bit from this book, mostly about the deities themselves. I do hope to learn more from other books on the subject of Asatru.
Helen
Jan 05, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
The book was full of information of the deities, rites, celebrations and beliefs of the Heathen world.
A really good book for those who wish to learn and know more about the Northern traditions.
Bianca Bradley
Jul 23, 2013 Bianca Bradley rated it it was amazing
This is a good primer. However the only difference between this and Kveldulf Gundarrson is her inclusion of the definitions of UPG and PPG.
Elentarri
May 23, 2013 Elentarri rated it really liked it
Shelves: paganism
Good introduction to Norse traditions. The book outlines the Gods & Goddesses, lore, rites and celebration days.
Gabriel
Aug 31, 2013 Gabriel rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
The author's interpretations and preferences run strong, and can be frustrating at times, but I did find the book useful in its description of lesser known gods.
Amy
Feb 08, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beginners in Heathen studies
Recommended to Amy by: Jeff Loy
This book is an easy-to-read introductory to the Heathen traditions. I really enjoyed the prayers to the Gods & Goddesses. I am looking forward to reading her other book on Odin.
Colin
Oct 10, 2011 Colin rated it liked it
Shelves: norse-stuff
A very decent introduction to Germanic reconstructionism - not bad if you're looking for that sort of thing . . .
NaomiRuth
This book had really good information, was written in a really readable engaging style. It was so helpful. I'm quite pleased my library had this book and I will definitely be buying it in the future.
Amanda Hains
Amanda Hains rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Deirdre O'malley
Deirdre O'malley rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Michelle Norton
Michelle Norton rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Tepintzin
Tepintzin rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2012
Stacia Dinkens
Stacia Dinkens rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Jet Jones
Jet Jones rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Jeffrey Diehl
Jeffrey Diehl rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2011
Ines
Ines rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Ariel
Ariel rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2013
Jp
Jp rated it really liked it
May 01, 2012
  • Essential Asatru: Walking the Path of Norse Paganism
  • History and Lore (Our Troth, #1)
  • Futhark: Handbook of Rune Magic
  • Norse Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Heroes, Rituals, and Beliefs
  • A History of Pagan Europe
  • The Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth
  • Pagan Celtic Ireland: The Enigma of the Irish Iron Age
  • The Pagan Book of Living and Dying: Practical Rituals, Prayers, Blessings, and Meditations on Crossing Over
I'm a poet, polytheist, theologian and the majority of my writing is religious, of one flavor or another. I've written over twenty books covering a broad range of topics within contemporary Heathenry (Norse/Germanic polytheism), several devotionals (including a couple to Greco-Roman Deities), and I've edited several anthologies. I'm the managing editor of "Walking the Worlds" journal, the first pe ...more
More about Galina Krasskova...