Start by marking “The Golden Girls of MGM: Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, Judy Garland, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, and Others” as Want to Read:

Garbo and Crawford. Ava, Hedy, Judy, Liz epitomized Hollywood's golden era. With a trembling lip or sultry eye, with a tear or song or husky whisper, these women held moviegoers across America in their sway from the hard times of the 1930s through the booming postwar years to the early sixties. They were royalty and box office, and led pampered public lives—furs, jewels, d ...more
Published December 30th 2003 by Da Capo Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Girls of MGM, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Girls of MGM

Ashley
May 07, 2007 Ashley added it
This is quite possibly the worst book I've ever written. I wasn't aware that you could pass off gossip and rumors as nonfiction. The writing sucks, too. The subject of this book has some wonderful potential, but the lousy writing, the lack of any real sources, and the fabricated dialogue kill it off. Too bad someone else didn't take this subject and write a book that had an ounce of truth to it. The Garbo section even quotes the Barry Paris book as a source, rather than taking the effort to find ...more
Jay
Jan 06, 2015 Jay rated it did not like it
Salacious hogwash. As others have said this is poorly written, badly researched with glaring errors for the simplest of facts and unfounded claims of scandalous behavior with no supporting references given. The worst may be the invented private conversations, always featuring the most unbelievable claims in the book, that no one but the long dead participants could have been privy to. There are many thorough, informative books on all these women, this is vulgar trash. Skip it!
Barbara VA
Feb 26, 2009 Barbara VA rated it did not like it
As Bree said, HORRIBLE writiting, the exact same formula for every chapter, just change the name of the actress, all the men are the same. Makes all the women sound naive and ignorant, no just plain stupid. There were no original sources listed although she mentions speaking with Joan Crawford several times. I love old movies but this was just malicious gossip
Amy
Oct 14, 2009 Amy rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
I guess it is reality, but these stars lived lives that a just a bit too graphic for me. I would rather think of them as they looked on the screen, wholsome and pure.
Allen Quinn
Jun 16, 2016 Allen Quinn rated it it was ok
Shelves: hollywood
I've had a fascination with Hollywood, especially the Golden Age, since I was a kid. Always looking to watch interesting documentaries/biographies and read books on that period. Love MGM and the amazing performers of that time and am always on the hunt to learn something new about them. This book centered on the women of MGM. Seemed promising, but ended up being quite disappointing. Definitely a book you rent from a library as opposed to paying.

Much of the dialogue and stories Wayne proposes are
Jacquelyn
May 05, 2013 Jacquelyn rated it it was ok
I wanted so much to like this book, which I thought would be a one-stop shop for background on many of my favorite Hollywood starlets. I shrugged off the lackluster writing, the cliches, the choppiness of the sections. Then, I started noticing glaring errors-- misattributed quotes, misspelled actors' names, or incorrect references (Jean Harlow was not in Grand Hotel, and there is no pier in Pasadena!).

After doing a little digging, I read that apparently this book is full of word-for-word chunks
ClassicHollywood
Mar 29, 2013 ClassicHollywood rated it it was amazing
Filled with behind-the-scenes information on our favorite Golden Girls, I have to admit I was shocked by this book!!! I feel slightly jaded, but wiser, though I haven't quite figured out if that's good thing yet. Ignorance really was bliss.

A plethora of all the down and dirty details, this book divulges secrets, affairs, and a lot of naughtiness. I kept trying to put it down,( because really I like my Classic Hollywood stars prim, proper and capable of immaculate conception)...I don't really wan
Emily
Jan 31, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies, reviewed
The book contains 10 chapters with vignettes on different golden girls of MGM and at the end had a chapter with shorter vignettes on ones who were famous but not so naughty. The chapters started with something about how they were famous or a famous event or such. Then it would go back and say where they were born, a bit about their childhood, and then how they came to hollywood. Followed with how they became part of MGM, what they did for the system, who they married and such, then how it all en ...more
McKayla
Sep 15, 2011 McKayla rated it liked it
I always used to think that I missed the golden age of Hollywood. Reading this book made me realize that the so called "Golden Age" was like that for a reason. Every aspect of ones life in hollywood was controlled to make it seem that way. To make you want to be like your favorite movie star. Some of what these ladies had to go through and how they were treated was a little hard to read. Now I'm not so sad that I missed this era.
Kendra
Dec 11, 2007 Kendra rated it liked it
Like the companion book on the male stars of MGM, this book is to be read with a grain of salt. The author shows her preferences and biases regarding certain stars.

Even so, it's interesting to catch a glimpse of the female stars of the golden era at MGM.

Wishing she'd added a few more: Cyd Charisse, Jane Powell, Kathryn Grayson, Leslie Caron...to name a few.
Roxanne
Nov 26, 2015 Roxanne rated it liked it
This book is about the stable of girls that MGM had. Greta, Joan, Lana, Judy, Ava, Grace, etc. The thing is the public believed the persona of these actresses based on the roles that they played. But these ladies were regular humans just like the rest of us and they had messy lives. That does take away from their talent. In those days all this stuff got covered up to protect the MGM brand.
Michaelene
Jan 08, 2012 Michaelene rated it liked it
The stories were interesting but I did agree with other reviews that it was the same formula over and over with each actress. Either way entertaining but I moved on to other books before I finished this one.
Jan
Aug 25, 2008 Jan rated it really liked it
I love reading about actresses from this era. Much more interesting than the airbrushed actresses of today.
Bree
Sep 29, 2008 Bree rated it liked it
While I found this book to be interesting, the writing was HORRIBLE. If you can get over typos, conflicting phrases, etc, you will enjoy the salacious gossip.
Naomi
May 25, 2007 Naomi rated it did not like it
Rubbish!
Ellen
Nov 15, 2013 Ellen rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfic, biography
Fairly interesting and some of it was new to me. I particularly enjoyed the segments on Grace Kelly and Norma Shearer. But it was really poorly edited and the writing style didn't flow very well.
Jesse Hebert
Apr 13, 2009 Jesse Hebert rated it did not like it
Shelves: film
If I could give negative stars to this inflated pap rag I would.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

Brief biography on the leading ladies in MGM.
Kate
Jul 10, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
The majority of "facts" in this book are rubbish, but if don't take any of it seriously, you're in for a treat. It's campy and hilariously fun.
Abby Eggen
Abby Eggen rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Raiford
Raiford rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2011
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2009
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Lisa N
Lisa N rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Scott Roberts
Scott Roberts rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2014
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Michelle Liptak
Michelle Liptak rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Cheryl Trotter
Cheryl Trotter rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Abigail
Abigail rated it really liked it
May 14, 2007
  • The Girl Who Walked Home Alone: A Personal Biography of Bette Davis
  • Once Upon a Time: Behind the Fairy Tale of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier
  • Audrey Hepburn
  • MM--Personal: From the Private Archive of Marilyn Monroe
  • The Hollywood Book of Death: The Bizarre, Often Sordid, Passings of More than 125 American Movie and TV Idols
  • Ava: My Story