Start by marking “JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation” as Want to Read:
JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation

JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  374 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Finally, the information you've been waiting for: who really killed JonBenet?

Perhaps the most compelling murder case of our day, the death of six-year-old JonBenet Ramsey galvanized the nation-and years after it occurred, the mystery still endures. Who killed the young beauty queen and why? Who is covering up for whom and who is simply lying? In JonBenet, the most authorit
Published May 5th 2000 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about JonBenet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JonBenet

Dennis Littrell
Thomas, Steve with Don Davis. Jon Benét: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation (2000) *****
A real inside look at what happened

This is the fourth book I've read on the Jon Benét case and easily the best one.

Former Boulder police Det. Steve Thomas, who was one of the chief investigators in the Ramsey case, does not mince words here and leaves the reader with no doubt about who killed Jon Benét. He also makes it abundantly clear why the case never went to trial and why it is highly unlikely that i
The Wee Hen
If you care about justice this book will make you so mad you will want to find all the members of the Boulder DA's office from back in the 90's and slap them silly. You will also want to hunt down a few higher-ups in Denver LE from back then and slap them around as well. Of course you want to do alot more than slap the Ramseys around, despite the fact that one of them is dead.
Thomas was the lead detective on the Ramsey case and he makes it clear that things were messed up beyond belief even bef
Angela
Another disgusting account of how there is a fine line for justice between the poor and the rich. This is about as close to the truth as anyone is ever going to get with this case. It saddens and shocks and enfuriates me how political gain, money and greed were more important to the Boulder County District Attorney Alex Hunter than solving the murder and getting justice for a 6-year-old innocent little girl who was murdered in her home on Christmas Night. Author and Detective Steve Thomas wasn't ...more
Patty
I read this and it's clear, the mom did it. Then I read the mom's book and it's clear, a stranger did it. Hmm. This is good coverage of the case and makes you wonder.
Megan
I'd never really delved into the JonBenet case and asked in one of their forums if I wanted to learn more, where I should start and this book (and the next) are the two that were recommended.

Steve Thomas was a detective on the JonBenet case and he brings us through the entire murder investigation, detailing the missteps of both the Boulder Police Department and the DA's office - as well as a bit of history on the DA's office. Here's what I came away with ... if I'm a criminal, I'm moving to Boul
J.M.
Excellent, in-depth look at the investigation into the death of JonBenet Ramsey with compelling testimony about why the Boulder authorities didn't arrest anyone in conjunction with the crime. This is the third book I've read about the case in a week and my suspicions are firmly in place as to who the killer was (accidental or intentional), but I'm going to continue researching it because it interests me. Despite all the evidence and available documentation, I'm sure the person behind the killing ...more
Lucille Zimmerman
I vividly remember the morning I pulled open The Denver Post and read the story of a little girl killed in Boulder on Christmas Day. I was at my dad's house having coffee and asked my dad about the case. My dad was a street-smart doctor. I said, "Who do you think did this?" His immediate reaction was that the mother exploded in rage over a daughter's bedwetting. "The Mother?" I asked in horror? How could a mother do that?" I looked over at my own 6-year old child (now 23 years old).

For the next
Alaina Blight
I dont think we'll ever find out who killed Jon Benet Ramsey but surely if it was your child who had been brutally killed you would do everything and anything you could do co-operate with the police in order to find the killer? The Ramsey's refusal to be interviewed and the sharing of evidence by the DA's office certainly plants suspicion in their camp. Definately recommend this book
Sandi
A true whodunit page turner by a detective intimately involved and personally invested in the case. The facts speak for themselves and leaves little room for doubt as to the identity of the killer. This was (and still is) tragedy on a grand scale, exacerbated by the unethical and deplorable acts of the Boulder DA, a man charged with protecting the public, whose betrayal of the justice system was tantamount to obstruction of justice and worst. The only prayer of bringing justice to the small, swe ...more
Kate
Reads like the author has a serious axe to grind. The one and only point he made that made me think "hmm, maybe they are hiding something" is when he reveals Patsy is wearing the exact same outfit the next morning as she wore to the party the previous evening.
Jenny
I learned A LOT about the case by reading this book. There was so much information inside that I would have to read it three or four times to remember it all. It's written well, however I think it's very biased because the author was a detective on the case.
Tabatha
This is a true horror story that will keep you up at night. Many details of the case are reviewed which may cause vomiting and/or sleepless nights. It's really too much information; made even more incredibly sad that no one was ever punished for it.
Rachel
I know I need this book is probably at least slightly biased and I know I should read about this topic some mire, but if even a fraction if the things in this book are true, the Boulder DA should be ashamed if themselves and the government too, fir allowing this to happen. The Ramseys did not co-operate and clearly acted in all the wrong ways. They seemed to do everything they could to prevent a proper investigation and why do that if they were innocent? Highly suspect.
Any family would bend ove
Rhoda D'Ettore
Steve Thomas gives an excellent account to the discovery of the body and the occurrance that led to and from the death of this beautiful child. Almost 20 years later, and still, there is no justice for this child.

As an investigator in the midst of the case, the author gives first hand information as to who could have and who could not have committed the crime. He discusses improper police procedures in a rich town that has inept police.

The power of money is incredible, and it comes through in th
Carolyn
Recently I saw the new movie THE CHANGLING with Angelina Joli. I was totally horrified that such unethical and corrupt behavior could exist within a police force. I soothed myself with 'well, that was then, this is now..."

Then I read the account of JonBenet's murder and subsequent investigation, and even that illusion was shattered. Written by a leading detective on the case, it details the obstructive behavior of the Ramsey lawyers, the pandering to the desires of JonBenet's parents and the spi
Rhonda Mcanulty
I started this book Friday and could not put it down. Gave great insight into the murder investigation. At times seemed to slightly ramble for me and I had difficulty keeping up with the who was who in the book. Overall a good read and a slight chance I could read again.
Kerry-Anne Gilowey
Don't expect a work of great literary merit, but do expect to be saying, "WHAT THE HELL?!" every couple of pages. The facts asserted by the author (and I've found nothing so far to discredit him or his version of events) are quite stunning. It's hard to believe that justice and truth could be quite so derailed by politics and ego, but alas, here we are. People, huh? Toughest part of any job, it seems.
Samir
Steve Thomas almost nailed it. Steve gives a good account of what went wrong in DA's office, media's half written stories and some pertinent questions about the behavior of Ramseys immediately after the body was found. Of course the cops could have done a better job once the body was found. I am convinced it has to be an inside job and a huge cover up that went on. I do feel for the 6 year old. The entire family and system has let her down. For me the biggest piece of evidence is the enhanced 91 ...more
Kathleen
Will anyone ever know who killed her?
Vanessa
It might not be as well written as some of the other books on the case, but the author's perspective and the information can't be beat. It is really a must read if you're interested in this case. After finally reading Foreign Faction, I've been going back through all the material related to the JonBenet Ramsey case, and this remains the most informative of the books. Kolar's organization makes it the one I pick up to quickly look something up, but this is the one I'd recommend if someone was onl ...more
Angela
I am baffled. I don't know who did it. I really truly didn't believe either John or Patsy did this. But when I read this book there is suspicions of them. But the case was so messed up that I don't think we will ever know, which is a very sad thing. Precious little girl. What happened to her?
Jennie
I had to read this book and do a report on it for a forensics class. He makes a pretty good argument that Patsy did it. (FWIW, I think she did, but I'm willing to believe it was accidental.)

Not for the faint of heart, though. It gave me nightmares. I'd get up in the middle of the night and go check on my then-3-year-old daughter.
Vicki Krivak
I thought this book was well written, a credible account of the Ramsey murder investigation from
the point of view of a detective on the case. Steve Thomas details everyone and everything that
derailed the successful prosecution of this case. I did, however, find the book a little difficult to
read at times. Overall, a good read.
Chrissy Bessa
I pray JonBenet finds peace and the perp answers to their maker.
Carla
I find all of the books about this case to be interesting; the case itself is fascinating. This book is well done and has a lot of good information, although not as exhaustive as Schiller's book (and Thomas does take his share of swipes at that book.)

Good book for anyone who's interested in this case.
Karina
I love true crime. This is amazing that no one was ever charged with the murder of JonBenet. All because the boulder da office was so messed up. Someone got away with murder. I liked the cop who bad talks his old office, because he couldn't take all the politics anymore.

Cj
Author is convincing in his feeling that Patsy Ramsey accidentally killed her daughter and her husband chose to protect her and cover up the murder. The other story is the corruption of the Boulder DA office and its interest in protecting the Ramsey's b/c of power and politics.
Angie
Jul 31, 2008 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one! It's too sad!
This is a very sad story. It is from the perspective of the lead murder investigator. If you're going to read this book, I would also recommend the one written by John and Patsy. There are many conflicting details b/w the two stories.
Edd
Provides great insight into the initial botched crime scene investigation and the subsequent dysfunction of the Boulder DA's office. It is unbelievable to think this little girl's murder case was mishandled as bad as it was.
Morgan M.
This book lays out details I didn't know about in this investigation. It is very tragic & sad that all things point to the parents, yet they were never brought to justice.
  • Perfect Murder, Perfect Town: The Uncensored Story of the JonBenet Murder and the Grand Jury's Search for the Truth
  • The Death of Innocence
  • Finding Chandra: A True Washington Murder Mystery
  • Portrait of a Monster: Joran van der Sloot, a Murder in Peru, and the Natalee Holloway Mystery
  • Pure Murder
  • Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters
  • Stolen in the Night: The True Story of a Family's Murder, a Kidnapping and the Child Who Survived
  • Columbine: A True Crime Story
  • Cries Unheard: Why Children Kill: The Story of Mary Bell
  • House of Evil
  • Evil Angels: The Case of Lindy Chamberlain
  • Every Knee Shall Bow
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge
  • To the Last Breath
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • Foreign Faction - Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?
  • A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town
Good Beer Guide Germany This Old House Kitchens: A Guide to Design and Renovation Sticker: Companion to The An Exercise in Futility (The Histories of Atreus) The 7 Universal Laws Of Life The Racing Bike Book