Start by marking “Joseph Smith and Herbal Medicine” as Want to Read:
Joseph Smith and Herbal Medicine

Joseph Smith and Herbal Medicine

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  22 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Renowned scholar John Heinerman has long admired the Prophet Joseph Smith's inherent understanding of the link between food and health. In this book, the companion to Joseph Smith and Natural Foods, Dr. Heinerman unearths the benefits of using herbs and adhering to the Mormon health code known as the Word of Wisdom. Though scholars of the 1830s scoffed at the Word of Wisdo ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Cedar Fort (first published July 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Joseph Smith and Herbal Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joseph Smith and Herbal Medicine

Holly
Mar 10, 2008 Holly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Wonderful book! Personal Journal writings of Joseph Smith and his understanding of Herbs and Healing. Gave me a deeper understanding to The Word of Wisdom, as well as so many other wonderful things I had not known.
Cherlynn
Jan 03, 2011 Cherlynn rated it it was ok
Shelves: herbology
This book is mistakenly titled. Instead it should carry the title "An Argument for Herbal Medicine and Priesthood" or "Mormons Trade Usage of Herbs and Priesthood Blessings for Doctors and Hospitals." Heinerman's writing is full of his opinions screaming in all capital letters throughout the text. While Heinerman may choose to emphasize his opinion by using capital letters, it significantly diminishes the text and its credibility.
Tammie
Jan 08, 2009 Tammie rated it really liked it
Good book! I really enjoyed all the quotes and the history in this book! I am excited to learn more about Samuel Thomson, the original botanic physician bor February 9, 1769! Talk about classic! "Joseph Smith said that Tomson was as much inspired to bring forth his principle of practice according to the dignity and importance of it as he was to introduce the Gospel." A very interesting read!
Elisabeth
Jan 04, 2011 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, 2011
If one is looking to be, or stay, peculiar in today's world, look no further. I guess I must be at least a little peculiar. I avoid seeing doctors - last time I visited one was in 2002; I've seen the dentist a bit more often -- fillings crack with age. I do believe in doing things in a natural way, avoiding synthetic medicines; it is furthermore better to trust the Lord than human understanding.
Mary
Mar 31, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
I loved all of the information in this book. It was a good historical background of herbal medicine in the church. The main thing I didn't like was the writing style. It took me awhile to get through it because it wasn't a book I just loved to sit down and read.
May 30, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medical
This was a great read. really informational as to the background of Joseph's opinion regarding herbal medicine and also how we got to where we are today as a church.
Lyndsey
Jun 19, 2012 Lyndsey rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
Too many things I didn't like about this book to give an accurate review. I read about half of it (painfully) then skimmed the last half. nope...
Dec 22, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Interesting perspectives.
Robert Neufeld
Robert Neufeld marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Keely
Keely rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Boris Bolshakov
Boris Bolshakov marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Belaineh Mekonnen
Belaineh Mekonnen marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Pamelacouchgmail.Com
Pamelacouchgmail.Com marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Char Tanner
Char Tanner marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Ali
Ali rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
John Asare
John Asare marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Angel M.
Angel M. marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Kim Goates
Kim Goates rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Andrea Angel
Andrea Angel rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2014