Start by marking “Joseph Smith and Herbal Medicine” as Want to Read:
Joseph Smith and Herbal Medicine

Joseph Smith and Herbal Medicine

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Renowned scholar John Heinerman has long admired the Prophet Joseph Smith's inherent understanding of the link between food and health. In this book, the companion to Joseph Smith and Natural Foods, Dr. Heinerman unearths the benefits of using herbs and adhering to the Mormon health code known as the Word of Wisdom. Though scholars of the 1830s scoffed at the Word of Wisdo...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Cedar Fort (first published July 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Joseph Smith and Herbal Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joseph Smith and Herbal Medicine

Holly
Mar 10, 2008 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Wonderful book! Personal Journal writings of Joseph Smith and his understanding of Herbs and Healing. Gave me a deeper understanding to The Word of Wisdom, as well as so many other wonderful things I had not known.
Cherlynn
This book is mistakenly titled. Instead it should carry the title "An Argument for Herbal Medicine and Priesthood" or "Mormons Trade Usage of Herbs and Priesthood Blessings for Doctors and Hospitals." Heinerman's writing is full of his opinions screaming in all capital letters throughout the text. While Heinerman may choose to emphasize his opinion by using capital letters, it significantly diminishes the text and its credibility.
Tammie
Good book! I really enjoyed all the quotes and the history in this book! I am excited to learn more about Samuel Thomson, the original botanic physician bor February 9, 1769! Talk about classic! "Joseph Smith said that Tomson was as much inspired to bring forth his principle of practice according to the dignity and importance of it as he was to introduce the Gospel." A very interesting read!
Elisabeth
If one is looking to be, or stay, peculiar in today's world, look no further. I guess I must be at least a little peculiar. I avoid seeing doctors - last time I visited one was in 2002; I've seen the dentist a bit more often -- fillings crack with age. I do believe in doing things in a natural way, avoiding synthetic medicines; it is furthermore better to trust the Lord than human understanding.
Mary
I loved all of the information in this book. It was a good historical background of herbal medicine in the church. The main thing I didn't like was the writing style. It took me awhile to get through it because it wasn't a book I just loved to sit down and read.
Sara
This was a great read. really informational as to the background of Joseph's opinion regarding herbal medicine and also how we got to where we are today as a church.
Lyndsey
Too many things I didn't like about this book to give an accurate review. I read about half of it (painfully) then skimmed the last half. nope...
Interesting perspectives.
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Angel M.
Angel M. marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Jenne
Jenne marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Rosemary Bailey
Rosemary Bailey marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2013
Tatiana Berry
Tatiana Berry marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
Jamie Shearer
Jamie Shearer marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2012
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2012
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2012
Jackie Ambler
Jackie Ambler marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2011
Tessha
Tessha marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2011
Melanie
Melanie is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2010
Heinerman's Encyclopedia of Healing Juices Heinerman's Encyclopedia of Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs Heinerman's Encyclopedia of Healing Herbs & Spices Heinerman New Ency Fruits&vegs Rev&expanded Joseph Smith and Natural Foods