Start by marking “Antiques to Die For (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Antiques to Die For (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #3)

Antiques to Die For (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #3)

Since Josie Prescott left a high-paying job in New York to set up shop as an antiques appraiser on the rugged New Hampshire coast, her life has not gone exactly according to plan. In many ways, it’s gone better: She has a booming business, good friends and neighbors, and even a promising romance.

But dead bodies do seem to keep crossing her path. And now her friend Rosalie
Published April 15th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Antiques to Die For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antiques to Die For

Dorothy
Nov 22, 2008 Dorothy rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
"You okay?" is the start of virtually every conversation in this book. Everybody is SO concerned about how everybody else is doing and whether they are going to be "okay." It gets to be very predictable and very annoying after a while.

The other thing that still annoys me about this entry in this series is the same thing that annoyed me about the first two: Josie is constantly tearing up or brushing away tears or struggling to keep from crying. Enough already! We get it! She's had sad things happ
Shauna
Jul 17, 2011 Shauna rated it really liked it
I continue to like these books. Josie is an appealing protangonist for the most part (although I am beginning to be astonished at how much "sage advice" she remembers from her father), and I enjoy the world she works in and the people she works with. They are fun, light, murder mysteries.
Pamela
Dec 18, 2015 Pamela rated it really liked it
Antique apparier in New Hampshire always uncovers murders. Good mystery with antique info as a part of the story.
Kathy Davie
Aug 25, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Third in the Josie Prescott Antiques mystery series set in a contemporary Rocky Point, New Hampshire.

My Take
In spite of Josie, I do enjoy this series. Cleland provides a fascinating look at the behind-the-scenes of the antiques business.

It's one thing to refuse to gossip about someone, it's another entirely to withhold information of any kind from the police. If it's just a feeling, say that. Josie is such a hypocrite when she refuses to talk to the police. ARghHh! She won't pass on information
Bill Taylor
Jun 18, 2017 Bill Taylor rated it really liked it
good mystery
Jen
Mar 01, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
In the third book of the Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery series, Josie's friend Rosalie is found murdered. Rosalie leaves behind her 12-year-old sister Paige who Rosalie was raising after the death of their parents. Paige informs Josie that Rosalie told her they owned something valuable, but Rosalie didn't specify what it was or where it was. So Paige enlists Josie to inventory and appraise all of Rosalie's property in hopes of finding the valuable item.

Along the way in her appraisal process, Jo
Christa
Aug 19, 2008 Christa rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Antiques to Die For is the first book I have read about Josie Prescott, but it is the third in the series. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and did not feel lost from not reading the two previous books. I will go back and read them, but this one was good as a stand alone.

Josie Prescott, antiques dealer and appraiser, is devastated to learn that her friend Rosalie has been killed, leaving behind an orphaned twelve year old sister. Rosalie's death looks suspicious, and as Josie was one of the last
Susan
Sep 24, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
Josie Prescott is an antiques appraiser with her own antiques shop. Her life hasn’t really gone as she had planned but she’s doing fine in her New Hampshire coastal town.
Things seems to be going well until her good friend, Rosalie turns up murdered leaving a 12-year old younger sister, Paige, with nowhere to go. Paige reminds Josie of herself when her mother died so until arrangements can be made for Paige to go live with her cousin and his family, Paige is staying with Josie.
As Josie delves
Anne
Mar 11, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
The third book in the Josie Prescott series finds Josie trying to solve the murder of her friend Rosalie. Was she killed because of an affair with a married man or is her death due to an unknown family antique that may be valuable? To complicate things Rosalie has left behind her 12 year old orphaned sister Paige. Will Josie discover the murderer before her life is threatened? In this book Josie is more settled in her new town & with her successful antique business than in the previous books ...more
Patty
Jan 07, 2012 Patty added it
Josie gets caught up in another murder, this time of her friend Rosalie. Since Rosalie is raising her 12-year-old sister Paige, Josie feels particularly strongly about finding out who killed Rosalie, and why.

There are about three mysteries running through this book. Who was Rosalie's "secret admirer"? Why did he/she switch to Josie after Rosalie's death? What did Rosalie mean when she told Paige that they were rich because she has a valuable item? Along with the death there is plenty to keep Jos
Kathleen
Oct 31, 2009 Kathleen rated it really liked it
This is the last book in the series that I have read from this author. I still find the characters, fresh, the writing about antiques and appraisal, interesting, and the references to places familiar to me, comforting. References to Rex Stout's writing have intrigued me; I might go there soon. I don't think I have mentioned before that the death of the main character's mother and father play a significant role in every book. Memories of bits of wisdom shared with her by her father struck a parti ...more
Kristen
Jan 04, 2009 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: serial-cozy, 7-09, 2010
This is another great cozy in the Josie Prescott series, the third one in the series. (I know I've skipped the second one and hope to get to it later this year.) This one is set in the winter, when Josie's boyfriend Ty is offered a new job in D.C. Not only that, her close friend, Rosalie, is murdered, leaving Rosalie's sister an orphan. It's up to Josie to find out who killed her, when it hit close to home, and to find out about a Whistler pallette fraud from a customer. When Josie gets closer t ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 19, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2008
Josie Prescott is upset when her friend Rosaline is murdered. Was she murdered because of her tangled love life? Or was it because of the secret treasure she told her teenage sister about? Josie is stronger emotionally then she's been in previous entries in the series, and the story moves along quite well. I wish I could have read it faster because I was enjoying it.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Grey853
Sep 12, 2010 Grey853 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Kristen
Jan 18, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
A nice, light read somewhere in the middle of a series – no annoying quirks, though also no blood and guts. The first-person narrator, antiques dealer Josie Prescott, is very nearly as careful as she should be, in the circumstances. As a result, it’s much more of a puzzle than a thriller, with a dose of academic stuff mixed in (the victim is affiliated with a university). I liked it enough to consider reading the other two (or future ones), through the good offices of the public library.
Andrea
Mar 28, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This cozy mystery told us a little more about Josie and her past. That made a difference in understanding her reactions to things. The victim didn't have too many secrets, but there were a lot of suspects. There seemed to be a whole lot of the criminal stalking her and not much detective work. So to me the pace was a bit slow, but sometimes that's a good thing. Overall, another great novel about Josie Prescott. This is a lovely cozy mystery series.
Roberta
Jun 16, 2014 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy, fiction
A good series mystery for antiques fans. Josie is an antiques dealer whose friend is murdered, leaving behind a 12-year-old orphaned sister. She has also left behind a secret code that is supposed to lead to a hidden treasure. So all Josie has to do is break the code, find the treasure, and solve the murder.

This is the third book in the series but you won't be lost if you don't read them in order.
Mascanlon
Very good writing with a strong plot. Josie has left the urban fight of Manhattan for an antiques business in New Hampshire. Engaging cast of regular characters are developing and with the dead bodies crossing her path I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Josie. A nice blend of coziness, crime and antiques!
Doris Smith
Feb 05, 2016 Doris Smith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I liked this third book in the Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery better than the second book Deadly Appraisel. While the mystery is tied up a little too neatly, I liked learning more about the characters in the book and their lives. The location (Portsmouth, New Hampshire) and the subtext about the world of antiques makes these mysteries fun to read
Sarah Adamson
Apr 14, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it liked it
This is the third book in the Josie Prescott antiquing mysteries. After the second, I was worried that she would continue to be a rather weak female main character. However she did grow on me in this book. I did enjoy this book more than number 2. It was a fun cozy mystery with some nice twists and a quite complex plot.
Barbara
Oct 19, 2009 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Josie Prescott, a New Hampshire antique dealer, finds herself involved in discovering the killer of a good friend. Smarmy college professors, slick businessmen, and a jealous wife all act in suspicious ways, but eventually, with help from Josie, the killer is revealed. A well-plotted mystery which will be of interest especially if you are an antiques buff.
Leslie
Feb 02, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it
I really like the Josie Prescott series because there is a lot of interesting information about antiques and their appraisals. The mystery in each book is engaging and keeps you turning pages. The additional mystery or research about a specific antique provides some fascinating facts. This series is entertaining and informative.
Teresa
Sep 06, 2011 Teresa rated it it was ok
I give this only an ok because so much of it covers the buy and selling of antiques. Someone interesting in collecting antiques or setting up their own shop might give it a higher rating. The mystery is rather thin and the murderer obvious early on.
Teresa
Jul 07, 2008 Teresa rated it really liked it
Cute book. I may read more of these Josie Prescott mysteries. This was a nice summer book. An easy read. The main character owns an antique/appraisal business and I found her knowledge of the field quite fascinating. I'm proud to say that I guessed who the murderer was.
Jan
Mar 23, 2009 Jan rated it liked it
Josie's series begins to shape up in #3. The characters have a little more depth and Josie's not weeping at the drop of a hat (or am I getting used to it?) and the plot was a good one, especially weaving in the Artichoke Code and the history behind it.
Julie
Dec 23, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
I normally always read the first book in a series first, even if I don't read them all in order but somehow I picked up the third one here. However, it is good enough I want to go back and read the first two!
Margarita
Oct 31, 2008 Margarita rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I like this whole series about an antiques appraiser in New Hampshire. The premise is somewhat similar to Elaine Flinn's series about an antiques dealer in Carmel, CA but the characters and storylines are very different - both good.
Cindy Hogue
Jul 01, 2013 Cindy Hogue rated it it was amazing
Great series!
Dec 28, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Not as good as first two books. Thinking I read them too close together.
Leslie Angel
Feb 17, 2009 Leslie Angel rated it liked it
cozy. A murdered friend, a 12-year old, a lost treasure, an artist's palette. "readers will learn the difference between a highboy and a tallboy" but I've forgotten already.
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Short Squeeze
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • The Big Dirt Nap (Dirty Business, #2)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • The Cracked Pot (Clay and Crime, #2)
  • Pie A la Murder (A Della Cooks Mystery #4)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
Jane K. Cleland’s multiple award-winning and IMBA best selling Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery series [St. Martin’s Minotaur] has been reviewed as an Antiques Roadshow for mystery fans. Library Journal named Consigned to Death a "core title" for librarians looking to build a cozy collection, one of only 22 titles listed, along with books by Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers. The full article i ...more
More about Jane K. Cleland...

Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Consigned to Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Keepsakes (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #4)
  • Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Deadly Threads (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #6)
  • Dolled Up for Murder (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #7)
  • Lethal Treasure (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #8)
  • Blood Rubies (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #9)
  • Ornaments of Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #10)
  • The Glow of Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #11)