Surviving Iraq: Soldier's Stories

Surviving Iraq: Soldier's Stories

2.82 of 5 stars 2.82  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The Iraq war is being fought by an all-volunteer army recruited from working-class America, and it is these men and women who are the stars of Tripp's powerfully moving book. Surviving Iraq: Soldiers' Stories is the result of a close collaboration between the author and thirty veterans who tell their stories of the invasion, occupation, and ongoing insurgency in Iraq. As f...more
Published October 30th 2007 by Olive Branch Press (first published October 11th 2007)

Hank
A nicely written introduction carefully crafted by an author clearly against the war despite her efforts to try to seem objective, followed by rambling word for word accounts of "randomly chosen" former soldiers, sailors, Marines & airmen who almost all now attend Northeastern colleges. Reading their stream of conscience musings is tiresome and inevitably invokes some theory of conspiracy etc.

This was an easy book to write: the author wrote a nice introduction then just transcribed what the...more
Nicole
I think I only got through the first 22 pages of this book. The author definitely has an agenda that comes through in the leading questions she asks, which in my opinion negates her claim to be writing a book of soldiers' accounts of the war. Basically, there are better books out there on this subject.
Christiana
To each his own in describing the different perspectives of a rough place, but most of the stories just made me mad. It should and will always be about the person beside you.
Desiree
Jan 27, 2009 Desiree marked it as to-read
my aunt lisa-
gave this book to my fiance; have only read my cousin torry's profile in it thus far (i find accounts of war difficult on the psyche)
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Nate
Nate added it
Jul 23, 2013
Christopher Yard
Christopher Yard marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Tiffany Fay
Tiffany Fay marked it as to-read
May 15, 2012
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 07, 2011
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2011
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2011
Hilary
Hilary added it
Dec 24, 2010
Theodora
Theodora marked it as to-read
May 09, 2010
Ayman Fadel
Ayman Fadel marked it as to-read
May 09, 2010
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2010
American Veterans on War: Personal Stories from World War II to Afghanistan American Veterans on War: Personal Stories from WW II to Afghanistan