Start by marking “The Blue-Nosed Witch (Weekly Reader Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Blue-Nosed Witch  (Weekly Reader Edition)

The Blue-Nosed Witch (Weekly Reader Edition)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Trick or treating is a new game for a real little witch.
Published December 1st 1956 by Holiday House (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue-Nosed Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue-Nosed Witch

Kathryn
A vintage charmer! The blue-nosed witch finds herself tagging along with a group of human kids for trick-or-treating and we get a delightful glimpse into "Halloweening" in days gone by, when kids got homemade donuts and candies for treats and. soaped windows for tricks. A long picture book, or very short novel, with lots of adorable illustrations. A sweet and not-scary choice for older kiddos.
Qt
Oct 18, 2010 Qt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halloween
A fun book! I love the pictures and the story is charming and humorous; the plot is not very involved, but as an easy-to-read, good-for-Halloween, get-you-in-the-spirit book, it is just right. Bonus points for being written in the '50s ;-) The only thing I didn't really like were the "tricks" played on a mean neighbor in retaliation (he maybe deserved it--and it wasn't anything really bad that they do--but I did think he was within his rights, even if he wasn't a nice guy.) Anyway, that is a pre ...more
Vonnie
Jul 01, 2009 Vonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up because I remembered the cover from my childhood, but I didn't remember ever reading it. I read it last night to 2 granddaughters, both age 4. It was a long book to read to them and one lost interest. The other stayed with me to the end, but was a lot of wiggles and wanted to turn the pages before I had read them. It is my opinion that children's literature has improved, so older books are generally a disappointmen to me. I was an avid reader as a child & have a few chi ...more
Vicki Jaeger
Sep 12, 2009 Vicki Jaeger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
One of my favorite kid's books of all times! (Entering it here so I remember it for baby shower gifts in the future.) A charming little book about a young witch who gets to fly in her first Halloween celebration with the "big witches." Great vintage illustrations.
Brigette
Jun 02, 2011 Brigette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my constant companion on school bus rides for a whole year when I was about 8 years old. I read it over and over and loved it more with each reading! I still have it :)
Margo Sabin
Jan 01, 2013 Margo Sabin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I've since shared it with both my daughters who also love Blanche!
Nancy
Jul 22, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet little book. I remember it from my childhood. Wonderful illustration. I loved the way that the illustration straddled the text drawing the eye from one corner to the opposite on the page. Very creative.
Catherine
Feb 18, 2016 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-reader
Cindy Gerlach
Oct 31, 2013 Cindy Gerlach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My very favorite Halloween story, discovered when I was in early elementary school. It is part of my very favorite set of books, the Collier's Junior Classics - Young Folks Shelf of Books, Vol. 6, Harvest of Holidays. I adore Blanche, the young witch, who is often tardy and scatterbrained, but is excused because of her fabulous blue nose. And I love the description of Halloween events circa 1956, as the trick-or-treaters shout, "Candy or cake or your windows we'll break" and collect candy apples ...more
Keeko
Oct 27, 2014 Keeko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gentle story with a lively adventure. Very cute and a fun read.
Stephanie
Aug 19, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still one of my favorites. Great read aloud for Halloween.
Kimberly Souza
Very cute story to read aloud for Halloween. Sweet pictures as well.
Heather
Mar 12, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friends have been posting children's books, and since I don't have any kids, I thought about books that I enjoyed as a kid and are sitting in a dusty box in my mom's basement. This is one of them. I just love Halloween, so it's no surprise that this was one of my favorites. I don't know if it's even still in print, but once your kid is nearing the ability to read chapter books (this has none) it would be a good pick. It's kind of long. I would guess your kid should at least be 7 years old to ...more
Marissa García
This bygone era is well preserved in this 1956 tale of Blanche the Blue-Nosed Witch, her black cat Brockett, and one wacky Halloween night. A group of trick or treaters find themselves in the company of a real witch just their age, who shows them the time of their lives while they in turn make her feel accepted. Join the classic crowd of cowboys, pirates, sheet ghosts, and gypsies as they tour a snapshot of 1950’s suburbia.
Amanda
I don't remember this book.

I read this when I was in elementary school. I really don't remember it. I know I didn't like it that much, I would never reread it or really recommened it. Maybe little kids would like it but I'm not so sure. So thats it for now.
Kate Berger
Oct 31, 2012 Kate Berger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I still remember saying "Which witch, the blue nosed witch" from readin as a child a more than a half century ago. Today as a branch manager of a library I am going as the blue nosed witch today on Halloween. I will order a copy for my branch.
Susan
Apr 25, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was my absolute favorite book as a preschool child. I wanted to hear it over and over again.
Mar 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? A book from my childhood--my first "witch" book, in fact. How could I not adore??
Bookfinder
Mar 19, 2013 Bookfinder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, youth
I have warm memories of reading this as a child and still recommend it.
Suzy
Aug 12, 2012 Suzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book as a child.
Jaci
A favorite from my childhood!
Hillory
Fun childhood memory.
Vickie
Sep 09, 2015 Vickie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, halloween
good kids book.
Angeline
Angeline marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Melanie Rightmyer
Melanie Rightmyer marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016