Start by marking “The Prince of Midnight” as Want to Read:
The Prince of Midnight

The Prince of Midnight

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,681 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
"A true storyteller, Laura Kinsale has managed to break all the rules of standard romance writing and come away shining."
-San Diego Union-Tribune

Intent on revenge, she is seeking only to learn how to kill.

Lady Leigh Strachan has dressed as a boy and crossed all of France in search of her family's killer. Her only wish is to be trained to kill so she can avenge their death
Mass Market Paperback, 521 pages
Published May 6th 2008 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince of Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince of Midnight

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
"Don't let that happen to me." Her words shook. "Don't leave me to be what I'll become without you."

This is a review of the audio book as well as the story itself.

Once again Laura Kinsale has written an amazing novel, and Nicholas Boulton has made it real. I can’t even explain what he brings to the stories he narrates. How he makes the hero and heroine so much more than just characters in a book. He doesn’t merely read their lines, he exists in them. The people, their lives, their passions and
Caz
Jun 10, 2013 Caz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys audiobooks; fans of Laura Kinsale; fans of historical romance
This was the first of Laura Kinsale’s novels to appear in audiobook form, and I’m warning you now – the review is LONG and there may even be some fangirling involved . If you want the short version, however – the audio book of The Prince of Midnight is fantastic, so go and listen to it immediately!

As for the longer version…

I’ve been following Laura Kinsale’s blog pieces over at AudioGals in which she talks about bringing her books to audio; about how she spent a long time listening to narrators
Loederkoningin
I didn't make it further than page 35, but I'm pissed enough about another K&K bud read going down the drain to give it 1 star for now. Might come back to because if there's something I hate it's having paid $$$ for books I end up abandoning. Also, now is probably a good time to attack my massive Toblerone bar.

Earlier ramblings:“Okay, so I am not actually "recommending" this one to you, I only wanted to bring it to your attention. Ahem. 1. It has Fabio on the cover (we have never read one w
Kathleen
Sep 20, 2013 Kathleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: Caz
Read it years ago but couldn't remember it well. Just now listened to audio, narrated by Nicholas Boulton. Solid 5 stars for his near-perfect impersonations, but only 3 stars for the story itself, mainly because I didn't like the heroine.

Laura Kinsale is a superb romance writer, but this story arc was frustrating. Frustrating! The downers went on far too long. Leigh was frequently unlikable. She was cruel for about 80% of the book -- it ruined the romance arc. I wanted to slap her. She was also
LibraryLass
Apr 25, 2008 LibraryLass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2008
Contains SPOILERS!!!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I am not a raving fan of Kinsale but I did enjoy this one. It was different in that the majority of the book was written from the hero's point of view. This made for a nice change. What also made a nice change was that S.T. the hero fell in love and recognised his feelings way before Leigh, the heroine.
I also liked that BOTH S.T. and Leigh had flawed characters. It wasn't just that S.T. was deaf and suffered from vertigo, but that he fell in
Lady Wesley
Aug 02, 2014 Lady Wesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amz-rev, listened
I haven't actually read this book, but listening to the recently released audio version narrated -- I should say perhaps "enacted" -- by Nicholas Boulton was a wonderful experience. At first, the plot reminded me of a Georgian 'Cat Ballou' (an old movie, for you young 'uns, where Jane Fonda wants washed-up gunslinger Lee Marvin to emerge from retirement to avenge her family). There's that same feeling of disappointment and chagrin when she finds that her legendary hero is a drunken mess who's ut ...more
Erin
Jun 07, 2009 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I'm giving this one such a low rating partially because of the great depth of my disappointment in the novel. Kinsale is usually an author I really enjoy, but this book had some Issues.

It started off promising. Leigh is a woman who dresses like a man and goes off to France to find the mythical Prince of Midnight, a highwayman who once terrified the English countryside. She finds him and is disappointed: he's a recluse living in a crumbling castle, and he's half-deaf and suffers from fits of ver
Melissa
Dec 07, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What can I say about Laura Kinsale? She would be one of my writing heroines and one of my all-time favorite authors even if all she'd ever written was Flowers from the Storm. (A masterpiece of historical romance; read it if you haven't already!) Anything else she writes that I love is just icing on the cake. The Prince of Midnight was some very delicious icing!

A summary of this novel's plot sounds so bizarre. Lady Leigh Strachan, a beautiful young woman whose happy, bucolic family life was shatt
Alicia J
(Sigh) I've most definitely fallen in love with Nicholas Boulton's voice. He has the most seductive and romantic accent ever. I feel like swooning. (sigh)
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Narrated by Nicholas Boulton

It’s finally here. Romance listeners have eagerly awaited The Prince of Midnight, the first audio release from Laura Kinsale’s fascinating backlist. Earlier this year, Ms. Kinsale announced that her entire backlist (twelve titles) would be released in audio during 2013 and into 2014 and now we have a taste of Kinsale’s skillful writing combined with Nicholas Boulton’s talented performance. It’s sheer audio perfection.

Once a famous highwayman, S.T. Maitland is now a re
Barbara ★
I disliked this book and had to force myself to finish it. The hero, S.T. Maitland is a likeable guy. An aging highwayman with infirmities due to an explosion. The heroine, Leigh Strachan, is irritating, rude and aggravating beyond measure. The interplay between the two should have been good but she is just bitchy. All in all, something to be skipped at all costs. Definitely not worth reading.
Ashley
Dec 06, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is only the fourth Kinsale book I've read, but one thing I've realized I'll never have to worry about is encountering a cookie-cutter story in one of her novels. I never think to myself, while reading one of her books, "this is a lovely twist on < insert historical romance trope >." I can't even say that modern historical romance authors seem to have cribbed Kinsale's plotlines and manner of storytelling, because I've yet to encounter contemporary books in this subgenre that are as wo ...more
Sofia
Dec 16, 2013 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical

This is my second Kinsale. Prince of Midnight had a tough battle to follow Flowers from the Storm for me, as Flowers was totally engrossing and fabulous.
So how did I find the Prince:
Well the ‘Prince’, S.T., was human, real, a broken down fellow, full of human quirks, shilly shallying, ineptitudes, highs and lows. You might love him one moment and say ‘really’ the next, but that is why one can empathise, he is one of us as we all try to get out of the dragging mud pool of life. ST and his eyebro
Gavin
Apr 25, 2014 Gavin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a fun change to the sort of historical romance books I normally read. The hero and heroine were both flawed characters, but despite that they were both interesting and, mostly, likable. I enjoyed the slow burning romance.

The plot was quite interesting with an injured former highwayman being lured out of retirement to help the heroine seek vengeance against those who wronged her.

I'll be happy to try more Laura Kinsale books in the future.

Overall 3.5 stars.

Audio note: The narrator Nic
Sally
It was between a four star and a five star for me but I decided to go with a five star because Laura Kinsale can do no wrong and has yet to disappoint me. Plus, while I think I still prefer Flowers from the Storm and Seize the Fire, I did enjoy this a lot more than My Sweet Folly which was a four star.

I'll come back and write a proper review when I've had time to get my thoughts together.

I must admit I wasn't too pleased when I saw there was an epilogue as I don't really think it was needed, b
mrssmithmachine
I'm quite convinced that Laura Kinsale is one of the best Romance author's of the past few years. Her stories are complex, engaging, original, and heavy on the history. She has yet to disapoint me.

Leigh is on a mission to avenge her family's killing. Her foe is a religious minister (we would now call him a cult leader) who turned the town against her family for one reason or another. She seeks the help of S.T Maitland, the famed Prince of Midnight...a fabled highwayman. What she finds isn't exa
Christy Stewart
I know beggars can't be choosers, but I can't help it...

This book has a lot of my 5 star tags but Kinsale just didn't seem to know what to do with them. I liked the deaf-mountain-man-hermit thing and the emotionally-unstable thing but these were so inconsistent that it wasn't even entertaining. The leading man would go from a gimpy puss to Zoro in a split second; I would have rathered he stay the gimpy puss, he was likable then.

Also, just as a PS, this is one of those travel books where the whol
Emery Lee
I LOVE Laura Kinsale for her depth of emotion and effortless imagery but this book really fell short for me. The best part, by far was the ending , the "liasion a cheval" (quite an erotic fantasy for an equestrienne!!) but the main characters were so irritably inconsistent - running hot and cold throughout.

I never liked Leigh at all until the epilogue! And even ST flip-flopped so much that it was hard to know who he really was, other than a masochist for following her.

I also didn't care for the
Brooke
Oct 08, 2015 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, historical, m-f
Definitely a contender for BEST AUDIOBOOK NARRATOR EVER (the Dresdon files books are the only other contenders)

This book was so unexpectedly good mainly because of the audiobook, I had never read Laura Kinsale before but the audio/book combo was such a good price I took the chance and I'm so glad I did.

So 5 full stars for narration but maybe 4.5 for the story I guess, maybe?

I never liked Leigh the heroine, she's a cold cold unloving main character and I never thought she deserved the devotion
Gigi
Sep 12, 2010 Gigi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, what can I say about this book? What can I say about this hero? S.T. Maitland, aka, the Prince of Midnight.

S.T. is, by far, one of the most memorable, deeply textured heroes I've ever read.

Leigh, the heroine, is beautiful but jaded young woman who seeks out the legendary highwayman, The Prince of Midnight, to teach her the skills to avenge her family who was murdered by a religious 'cult' leader.

What she discovers, when she does find the famous highwayman, is the weary shadow of the legen
Victoria Vane

I also didn't care for the
Catherine
Laura Kinsale, the queen of whiplash, crazy, HR drama. I love it. Both he hero & heroine suffer from "I love you but I can't love you" syndrome. Both have their reasons. Now I just have to decide with Kinsale will be my next.
Mitticus
Leigh Strahan llega hasta Francia en busca de la figura de un caballero forajido - el Seigneur de Minuit - para que la ayudara a cumplir su afan de venganza tras la muerte de su familia. Alli no encuentra lo que esperaba sino un hombre autoexiliado y aislado viviendo de recuerdos amargos y acompañado solo por un lobo.

El libro resulta completamente arruinado por la protagonista, mujer más insoportable (y bipolar) no se ha visto. Es una relación que empieza mal desde el principio con el uso del se
Cassandra Dexter Colby
Decepción absoluta, no me ha gustado cómo Laura ha desarrollado una historia que pintaba muy bien, y la chica es insoportable. http://alacamaconunlibro.blogspot.com...
Ania
Dec 13, 2015 Ania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's become apparent to me that I can find no fault in any of Laura Kinsale's books. This one was another favorite. I loved the characters so much, I felt for them. I wanted them to succeed and find happiness with each other. I found Le Seigneur to be just perfect. His vertigo, his deafness and even his sentimentality won me over from the first moment. Leigh was a great heroine, with purpose and willing to risk it all to see her family avenged. The angst between them due to her unwillingness to ...more
HÜLYA
Mar 05, 2013 HÜLYA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baştan söylemeliyim Jerwaulx Dükü Christian gibi bir karakter bekliyorsanız hayal kırıklığına uğrarsınız peşinen belirteyim...

Laura Kinsalenin sanırım uslubu diğer historical yazarlara göre farklı olduğunu bu romanında iyice anlamış oldum..Farklılığı kahramanlarında önce; erkek karakterimiz S.T.Maitland namı diğer Gecenin Prensi ülkesinde başına ödül konmuş(hem de 3 Pound) bir kanun kaçağı da olsa..Bu hayatını terk edip Fransa'ya kaçıp adeta münzevi bir hayat sürmektedir...

Bu hayatı da niçin seç
Summer
Laura Kinsale's writing is usually fantastic, which is no different here. I really liked the hero too. He was flawed but seemed really interesting as all Laura Kinsale hero's seem to be. However while the heroine seemed interesting as she spends a lot of time in this book dressed as a boy, I didn't like her at all. I didn't get very far into this book but from the beginning you don't know much about the heroine save for she wants the hero to teach her all he knows about how to use a sword and ri ...more
Giedre
Aug 05, 2015 Giedre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laura Kinsale likes to put some crazysauce elements into her books. Sometimes it comes out perfect (Flowers from the Storm), sometimes it's pretty great (For My Lady's Heart, Shadowheart) or somewhere in the middle (Seize the Fire), and sometimes the final result stinks (Uncertain Magic). The Prince of Midnight has enough crazysauce to steer it towards WTF territory, but somehow Laura Kinsale makes it work. Sure, for me it's definitely not as epic as Flowers from the Storm, but it's still pretty ...more
Sonia189
Feb 08, 2016 Sonia189 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More a 3.5.
What a dark book...I mean, nothing horror, but it has a darker tone than Flowers From the Storm and a weird theme and the protagonists felt isolated from everything else around them...and it wasn't as romantic as I hoped!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Apr 17, 2016 08:30AM
  • Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)
  • Beast
  • Bliss (de Saint Vallier Brothers, #1)
  • To Love a Dark Lord
  • Wild at Heart
  • Tapestry
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • Indiscreet
  • Veils of Silk (Silk Trilogy, #3)
  • The Lady's Secret
  • The Parfit Knight
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #2)
  • The Windflower
  • His at Night
Laura Kinsale is a New York Times bestselling author and both winner and multiple nominee for the Best Book of the Year award given by the Romance Writers of America.

She become a romance writer after six years as a geologist--a career which consisted of getting out of bed in the middle of the night and driving hundreds of miles alone across west Texas to sit drilling rigs, wear a hard hat, and at
More about Laura Kinsale...

“Its been six weeks," he murmured. "Six weeks I've wanted you. I know how you move, and how the sunlight makes a shadow on the curve of your cheek, and the shape of your ear." He chucked harshly then turned his head on the pillow to look at her. "I'm dying," he said. He dropped his fist against his chest. "Right here, you're killing me.” 232 likes