Start by marking “The Prince of Midnight” as Want to Read:
The Prince of Midnight

The Prince of Midnight

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,522 ratings  ·  151 reviews
"A true storyteller, Laura Kinsale has managed to break all the rules of standard romance writing and come away shining."
-San Diego Union-Tribune

Intent on revenge, she is seeking only to learn how to kill.

Lady Leigh Strachan has dressed as a boy and crossed all of France in search of her family's killer. Her only wish is to be trained to kill so she can avenge their death
Mass Market Paperback, 521 pages
Published May 6th 2008 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince of Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince of Midnight

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick
"Don't let that happen to me." Her words shook. "Don't leave me to be what I'll become without you."

This is a review of the audio book as well as the story itself.

Once again Laura Kinsale has written an amazing novel, and Nicholas Boulton has made it real. I can’t even explain what he brings to the stories he narrates. How he makes the hero and heroine so much more than just characters in a book. He doesn’t merely read their lines, he exists in them. The people, their lives, their passions and
Jun 10, 2013 Caz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys audiobooks; fans of Laura Kinsale; fans of historical romance
This was the first of Laura Kinsale’s novels to appear in audiobook form, and I’m warning you now – the review is LONG and there may even be some fangirling involved . If you want the short version, however – the audio book of The Prince of Midnight is fantastic, so go and listen to it immediately!

As for the longer version…

I’ve been following Laura Kinsale’s blog pieces over at AudioGals in which she talks about bringing her books to audio; about how she spent a long time listening to narrators
I didn't make it further than page 35, but I'm pissed enough about another K&K bud read going down the drain to give it 1 star for now. Might come back to because if there's something I hate it's having paid $$$ for books I end up abandoning. Also, now is probably a good time to attack my massive Toblerone bar.

Earlier ramblings:“Okay, so I am not actually "recommending" this one to you, I only wanted to bring it to your attention. Ahem. 1. It has Fabio on the cover (we have never read one w
Contains SPOILERS!!!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I am not a raving fan of Kinsale but I did enjoy this one. It was different in that the majority of the book was written from the hero's point of view. This made for a nice change. What also made a nice change was that S.T. the hero fell in love and recognised his feelings way before Leigh, the heroine.
I also liked that BOTH S.T. and Leigh had flawed characters. It wasn't just that S.T. was deaf and suffered from vertigo, but that he fell in
Sep 20, 2013 Kathleen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: Caz
Read it years ago but couldn't remember it well. Just now listened to audio, narrated by Nicholas Boulton. Solid 5 stars for his near-perfect impersonations, but only 3 stars for the story itself, mainly because I didn't like the heroine.

Laura Kinsale is a superb romance writer, but this story arc was frustrating. Frustrating! The downers went on far too long. Leigh was frequently unlikable. She was cruel for about 80% of the book -- it ruined the romance arc. I wanted to slap her. She was also
Lady Wesley
I haven't actually read this book, but listening to the recently released audio version narrated -- I should say perhaps "enacted" -- by Nicholas Boulton was a wonderful experience. At first, the plot reminded me of a Georgian 'Cat Ballou' (an old movie, for you young 'uns, where Jane Fonda wants washed-up gunslinger Lee Marvin to emerge from retirement to avenge her family). There's that same feeling of disappointment and chagrin when she finds that her legendary hero is a drunken mess who's ut ...more
(Sigh) I've most definitely fallen in love with Nicholas Boulton's voice. He has the most seductive and romantic accent ever. I feel like swooning. (sigh)
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Narrated by Nicholas Boulton

It’s finally here. Romance listeners have eagerly awaited The Prince of Midnight, the first audio release from Laura Kinsale’s fascinating backlist. Earlier this year, Ms. Kinsale announced that her entire backlist (twelve titles) would be released in audio during 2013 and into 2014 and now we have a taste of Kinsale’s skillful writing combined with Nicholas Boulton’s talented performance. It’s sheer audio perfection.

Once a famous highwayman, S.T. Maitland is now a re
I'm giving this one such a low rating partially because of the great depth of my disappointment in the novel. Kinsale is usually an author I really enjoy, but this book had some Issues.

It started off promising. Leigh is a woman who dresses like a man and goes off to France to find the mythical Prince of Midnight, a highwayman who once terrified the English countryside. She finds him and is disappointed: he's a recluse living in a crumbling castle, and he's half-deaf and suffers from fits of ver
Barbara ★
I disliked this book and had to force myself to finish it. The hero, S.T. Maitland is a likeable guy. An aging highwayman with infirmities due to an explosion. The heroine, Leigh Strachan, is irritating, rude and aggravating beyond measure. The interplay between the two should have been good but she is just bitchy. All in all, something to be skipped at all costs. Definitely not worth reading.
This was a fun change to the sort of historical romance books I normally read. The hero and heroine were both flawed characters, but despite that they were both interesting and, mostly, likable. I enjoyed the slow burning romance.

The plot was quite interesting with an injured former highwayman being lured out of retirement to help the heroine seek vengeance against those who wronged her.

I'll be happy to try more Laura Kinsale books in the future.

Overall 3.5 stars.

Audio note: The narrator Nic

This is my second Kinsale. Prince of Midnight had a tough battle to follow Flowers from the Storm for me, as Flowers was totally engrossing and fabulous.
So how did I find the Prince:
Well the ‘Prince’, S.T., was human, real, a broken down fellow, full of human quirks, shilly shallying, ineptitudes, highs and lows. You might love him one moment and say ‘really’ the next, but that is why one can empathise, he is one of us as we all try to get out of the dragging mud pool of life. ST and his eyebro
I'm quite convinced that Laura Kinsale is one of the best Romance author's of the past few years. Her stories are complex, engaging, original, and heavy on the history. She has yet to disapoint me.

Leigh is on a mission to avenge her family's killing. Her foe is a religious minister (we would now call him a cult leader) who turned the town against her family for one reason or another. She seeks the help of S.T Maitland, the famed Prince of Midnight...a fabled highwayman. What she finds isn't exa
Christy Stewart
I know beggars can't be choosers, but I can't help it...

This book has a lot of my 5 star tags but Kinsale just didn't seem to know what to do with them. I liked the deaf-mountain-man-hermit thing and the emotionally-unstable thing but these were so inconsistent that it wasn't even entertaining. The leading man would go from a gimpy puss to Zoro in a split second; I would have rathered he stay the gimpy puss, he was likable then.

Also, just as a PS, this is one of those travel books where the whol
Emery Lee
I LOVE Laura Kinsale for her depth of emotion and effortless imagery but this book really fell short for me. The best part, by far was the ending , the "liasion a cheval" (quite an erotic fantasy for an equestrienne!!) but the main characters were so irritably inconsistent - running hot and cold throughout.

I never liked Leigh at all until the epilogue! And even ST flip-flopped so much that it was hard to know who he really was, other than a masochist for following her.

I also didn't care for the
Definitely a contender for BEST AUDIOBOOK NARRATOR EVER (the Dresdon files books are the only other contenders)

This book was so unexpectedly good mainly because of the audiobook, I had never read Laura Kinsale before but the audio/book combo was such a good price I took the chance and I'm so glad I did.

So 5 full stars for narration but maybe 4.5 for the story I guess, maybe?

I never liked Leigh the heroine, she's a cold cold unloving main character and I never thought she deserved the devotion
Oh, what can I say about this book? What can I say about this hero? S.T. Maitland, aka, the Prince of Midnight.

S.T. is, by far, one of the most memorable, deeply textured heroes I've ever read.

Leigh, the heroine, is beautiful but jaded young woman who seeks out the legendary highwayman, The Prince of Midnight, to teach her the skills to avenge her family who was murdered by a religious 'cult' leader.

What she discovers, when she does find the famous highwayman, is the weary shadow of the legen
Victoria Vane

I also didn't care for the
Laura Kinsale, the queen of whiplash, crazy, HR drama. I love it. Both he hero & heroine suffer from "I love you but I can't love you" syndrome. Both have their reasons. Now I just have to decide with Kinsale will be my next.
Cassandra Dexter Colby
Decepción absoluta, no me ha gustado cómo Laura ha desarrollado una historia que pintaba muy bien, y la chica es insoportable.
Baştan söylemeliyim Jerwaulx Dükü Christian gibi bir karakter bekliyorsanız hayal kırıklığına uğrarsınız peşinen belirteyim...

Laura Kinsalenin sanırım uslubu diğer historical yazarlara göre farklı olduğunu bu romanında iyice anlamış oldum..Farklılığı kahramanlarında önce; erkek karakterimiz S.T.Maitland namı diğer Gecenin Prensi ülkesinde başına ödül konmuş(hem de 3 Pound) bir kanun kaçağı da olsa..Bu hayatını terk edip Fransa'ya kaçıp adeta münzevi bir hayat sürmektedir...

Bu hayatı da niçin seç
Laura Kinsale's writing is usually fantastic, which is no different here. I really liked the hero too. He was flawed but seemed really interesting as all Laura Kinsale hero's seem to be. However while the heroine seemed interesting as she spends a lot of time in this book dressed as a boy, I didn't like her at all. I didn't get very far into this book but from the beginning you don't know much about the heroine save for she wants the hero to teach her all he knows about how to use a sword and ri ...more
Laura Kinsale likes to put some crazysauce elements into her books. Sometimes it comes out perfect (Flowers from the Storm), sometimes it's pretty great (For My Lady's Heart, Shadowheart) or somewhere in the middle (Seize the Fire), and sometimes the final result stinks (Uncertain Magic). The Prince of Midnight has enough crazysauce to steer it towards WTF territory, but somehow Laura Kinsale makes it work. Sure, for me it's definitely not as epic as Flowers from the Storm, but it's still pretty ...more
I have been late to the Laura Kinsale “party,” (since this is only the 2nd book of hers that I’ve read), but I’m so glad I made it, because her writing is quite beautiful and just superb. In addition, paired with the magic of narrator, Nicholas Boulton, this audiobook is an experience you don’t want to miss.

The hero, S.T. Maitland lives in a secluded castle in France with his only companion being that of a lone wolf, and has left behind his life as a notorious highwayman and his legend as the “
First, let me say that I listened to this book on audio and Nicholas Boulton is the Meryl Streep of Audio Narrators. He completely embodies every single character and he's a master of accents and language. Just as important, his female characters are simply and believable read without a high pitch squeak. He's brilliant.

Now, about the book itself...How wonderfully refreshing to read an Historical Romance that doesn't follow any of the rules and norms. This was my first experience with Laura Kins
What a journey!!! This book in my opinion has been underrated. Well, may be because it was classified in the wrong category. I would rather classify it as simply “Historical Fiction” than “Historical Romance”. Then, it would attract entirely different audiences. -- Not that there’s anything wrong with the romance category in general but this book has more of the “fiction” character than straight “romance”.

Another pet peep of mine, why is the cover (Fabio Hardcover version) has to be so cheesy?
When Lady Leigh Strachan journeys to France disguised as a boy in search of the famous highwayman the Prince of Midnight (really the reclusive S.T. Maitland), she gets more than she bargained for when she convinces him to help her get vengeance for the death of her family. Alas, this one didn't really work for me. I was never quite convinced by the relationship between the hero and heroine, the cult plot was just too bizarre, and the ending was much too drawn out, with a series of misunderstandi ...more
Molly Mirren
This is possibly my favorite romance of all time. I would give it ten stars if I could. The hero is perfectly written in every way--sexy, witty, a bit of a tortured, lonely soul--and the heroine is bitchy and cool, just how I like my heroines. I know most people love Ms. Kinsale's novel Flowers from the Storm, but, to me, this is her best work.
This was the first Laura Kinsale book I read--a fluke from a DoubleDay book order. I have not been able to find anyone better ever since.She's been out of the loop for about a decade, and finally has a new one coming out. I cannot wait!
This book is amazing. Fantastic, and yet believable, as Mrs. Kinsale has a way of fashioning a tragic, scarred, cursed hero in a way that makes your heart break for him. The woman in this book is bitter and courageous and strong, and the slow turning of her heart
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Beast
  • Black Silk
  • Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)
  • To Love a Dark Lord
  • Fair is the Rose
  • Indiscreet
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • A Counterfeit Betrothal (Waite, #2)
  • Silk and Secrets (Silk Trilogy, #2)
  • Tapestry
  • Private Arrangements
  • The Price Of Desire
  • A Bed of Spices
Laura Kinsale is a New York Times bestselling author and both winner and multiple nominee for the Best Book of the Year award given by the Romance Writers of America.

She become a romance writer after six years as a geologist--a career which consisted of getting out of bed in the middle of the night and driving hundreds of miles alone across west Texas to sit drilling rigs, wear a hard hat, and at
More about Laura Kinsale...

“Its been six weeks," he murmured. "Six weeks I've wanted you. I know how you move, and how the sunlight makes a shadow on the curve of your cheek, and the shape of your ear." He chucked harshly then turned his head on the pillow to look at her. "I'm dying," he said. He dropped his fist against his chest. "Right here, you're killing me.” 223 likes